[CWM][OTA][EL29->FF18] Rooted FF18 OTA update (patches your existing stock EL29 ROM)

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
[CWM][OTA][EL29->FF18] Rooted FF18 OTA update (patches your existing stock EL29 ROM)

This is the stock FF18 ICS OTA update. There are 2 versions provided rooted and rooted+CWM. Testing was done on EL29 - CWM, CWM-Rogue, and CWM-ACS.

This will ONLY work if applied on top of a 100% stock EL29 ROM. The Modem and Kernel do NOT have to be EL29, but the ROM and Sprint preload apps must be.

You existing ROM does NOT need to be rooted, but you MUST have kernel+CWM EK02 or higher. If your kernel+CWM is based on EG30 or EG31 then the modem flash will timeout.

0) Backup anything important
Before you do any ROM updates, it is best to make CWM/Nandroid and Titanium backups and store off of the phone.

1) Prerequisites Checklist
EK02+CWM (or newer) - you MUST have CWM recovery and the kernel it is packed with MUST be EK02 or newer
EL29 ROM (stock) - your EL29 ROM (/system) must be 100% stock including Sprint preload directory.
If you don't know what the preload directory is, don't worry about it (modem/kernel can be other versions)

2) [Optional] Run the EL29->FF18 OTA Compliance Check
Use the Auto Root Package (Option E - OTA Compliance Check EL29->FF18) to see if your EL29 ROM is 100% stock.
If any errors show up, please fix BEFORE applying this OTA update.

The only EXCEPTION is kernel/zImage does NOT need to match EL29 (so you can IGNORE the SHA1FAIL for kernel/zImage)

Note #1: If you have SHA1FAIL or MISSING errors, you can either restore using the zip file in Resource #A2 (individual missing files via manual copy), or using a CWM/Nandroid backup of EL29, or by ODIN flashing the stock EL29 ROM only (Resource #A3)

3) Download the EL29->FF18 OTA Update
update_SPH-D710_EL29_to_FF18-rooted-cwm.zip [Mirror1 / Mirror2]
[MD5: f052a9bf36f406b31f96880092db567a / Size: 227,605,267]

update_SPH-D710_EL29_to_FF18-rooted.zip [Mirror1 / Mirror2]
[MD5: 21deb60ce0176b5d9916cc9e2a8c1f72 / Size: 225,729,406]

Note #1: The screenshot above is from the "root" version. If you choose "root+cwm", your kernel string will look different.

4) Place OTA update on sdcard
Make sure you remember whether you placed it on internal or external sdcard

5) Boot into Recovery
Code:
[B][U]Method #1[/U][/B]
Power down phone
Wait for capacitative button [B]lights to turn off[/B]
Simultaneously [b]Press and Hold [Power] [VolUp][/b] until CWM Recovery screen appears
Code:
[B][U]Method #2[/U][/B]
adb reboot recovery
6) Run the OTA update
Use the CWM menus to select the OTA update and confirm the operation.
On Rogue CWM you would choose "Install from zip file"
On CWM you would choose "install zip from sdcard"
Make sure you select the correct sdcard from step #4 (internal or external)

Note #1: If you encounter an ASSERT failure, please go back an perform step #2.

7) You are done
Use the CWM menus to reboot phone

Note #1: To handle certain upgrade scenarios, the list of which apps are allowed root gets reset. The first time you run your apps that require root, you will see a prompt confirming root permissions. It will only do this the first time you run a particular app.

Attachments

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Reference Section

A) Resources
a1) FF18 OTA (patch EL29->FF18) - Sprint OTA [stock recovery] [MD5: 6e3e12d3ca970995732eb3f280b7af45 / Size: 218,251,988]
a2) EL29 File Dump - use this to get missing files [Mirror1 / Mirror2] [MD5: 4d6cc7316bab100c5114a929a1ac6c83 / Size: 326,799,767]
a3) EL29 ROM ODIN tar file - see 2nd post of this thread

Last edited:

SpartanVissepo

Feb 26, 2011
Thanks a lot sfhub these packages that u create sir, this are really life Savers and i know that there's a lot of people like me that really appreciate you're effort and time u put in these, man thanks again! :thumbup::beer::D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

stryfe2010

Mar 13, 2011
John Day
Could someone post a zip of the stock el29 battery icon, since I'm getting a framework res error when updating I'm pretty sure it's the battery icon mod I installed to the stock rooted rom. Specifically need to remove battery mod sphere Tia

Last edited:

DataHawg

Aug 26, 2010
East Seattle
Could someone post a zip of the stock el29 battery icon, since I'm getting a framework res error when updating I'm pretty sure it's the battery icon mod I installed to the stock rooted rom. Specifically need to remove battery mod sphere Tia

You can't install mods on stock because it's an Odexed Rom. No doubt the mod you flashed was for deodexed roms. You borked your framework res and no flashable zip that I've ever seen can fix that. Most likely you'll have to flash again and start over.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
This recovery still has the emmc corruption bug, correct?
If you choose the root+cwm version, it installs agat's recompiled kernel with emmc lockup workaround and also agat's cwm-based recovery.

If you choose the root version, it includes the stock kernel+recovery, but you are rooted, so you can use Auto Root or Mobile ODIN to install the kernel/recovery of your choice.

Reactions: Foulwx

Tungsten c

Mar 3, 2011
I am rooted but stock with CWM. Any reason this will not work for me?

The sha1fail when I tun the check but I believe is not a big deal.

Thanks

Tungsten c

Last edited:

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
So I backed up what I needed, then proceded to to the one click EL29 and it succeded. I then went to use the auto root to install CWM and I chose option K which I believe was EL29 CWM Rogue. I also ran the update check and it said SHA1FAIL: zImage/kernal and that the OTA will not install correctly.

Did I chose the wrong recovery? I have to admit I am not familiar with the "EL" "EK" "FF" order, so was EL29 CWM Rogue the wrong recovery? Which one should I chose to do this? Should I just install the EK02 CWM Rogue or is there another higher one? I thought EL29 was higher than EK02 and I figured since I just used the one click tar of stock EL29 to use that one.

Or do I have another problem? All I did after installed stock EL29 was update profile and prl and then I installed root, or I may have done root first and then updated profile/prl.

Thanks

So I installed EK02 recovery/cwm and then ran the update check and go the same notice. Why whould the stock TAR one click be missing anything? Should I flash something else now?

Thanks

Nevermind, reread the OP and it states that I can ignore that fail. So I have EK02 recovery/cwm but once I do the update I will have a different recovery/cwm based on the safe emmc bug modification, so this EK02 cwm is just going to be on here for this flash of the update then gone, correct?

Thanks again...

Last edited:

stryfe2010

Mar 13, 2011
John Day
You can't install mods on stock because it's an Odexed Rom. No doubt the mod you flashed was for deodexed roms. You borked your framework res and no flashable zip that I've ever seen can fix that. Most likely you'll have to flash again and start over.
Np I'll just reflash the stock el29 no data through Odin, but I was able to flash the circle mod through cwr the first time after I used Odin to root the stock rom. Custom kernel wouldn't cause the fail would it? But thanks for the info shouldn't be any problem to just reflash the no data stock rom through Odin

bigpeng

Jan 14, 2010
The U S of A!
You CAN on odexed roms, BUT the mod needs to be odexed like what Strongsteve/Johncorleone did for a lot of the ICS roms.

I'm sure if a mods not working, and if you ask Johncorleone to make a mod work for odexed roms, he'd do it if he's not too busy. ;)

DataHawg

Aug 26, 2010
East Seattle
You CAN on odexed roms, BUT the mod needs to be odexed like what Strongsteve/Johncorleone did for a lot of the ICS roms.

I'm sure if a mods not working, and if you ask Johncorleone to make a mod work for odexed roms, he'd do it if he's not too busy. ;)

Correct Bigpeng. I should have been more specific but I assumed the version he tried wasn't Odexed.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

If you choose the root+cwm version, it installs agat's recompiled kernel with emmc lockup workaround and also agat's cwm-based recovery.

If you choose the root version, it includes the stock kernel+recovery, but you are rooted, so you can use Auto Root or Mobile ODIN to install the kernel/recovery of your choice.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not planning on flashing this but a noob friend who can't post in the dev section yet asked me in pm why his "About Phone" looked different from your screenshot. That must be the one with the stock kernel and he flashed the one with the custom recovery. Thank you