• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

CWM USB Audio Enabler

Search This thread

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Flash the zip in CWM to enable USB Audio.

It works its just a bit tricky to get enabled. You may have to reboot the device to get it working.
Also if you have under 50% battery life the USB sound dongle will cut out. So make sure you have plenty of battery life.

MX Player works better playing videos then QQPlayer, but the sound with MKV files cuts out. On the QQPlayer the sound works fine.

The version of MX Player I tested was 1.7.40 for Froyo/Eclair.

Mediaserver doesn't work on the NST so any MP3s you add won't show up in Music players. To get around this use ES File Explorer built in music player to play local MP3s.

Attachments

• BubbleUPnP.apk
    4.9 MB · Views: 126
  • QQPlayer.apk
    7 MB · Views: 176
  • USB-Audio+FastMode+Host-CWM.v2.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Reactions: nmyshkin
N

NOOK!E

It works its just a bit tricky to get enabled. You may have to reboot the device a few times to get it working. Even when it is working I found that the sound in MX Player cuts out for a sec every 10 seconds.

What's going on under the hood here?

I'd like to get USB audio working on my system without using someone else's kernel, so if you could tell me what to change in mine, I'd thank you.

What other files, apps and such are necessary (so that I can add them by hand instead of flashing)?

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
What's going on under the hood here?

I'd like to get USB audio working on my system without using someone else's kernel, so if you could tell me what to change in mine, I'd thank you.

What other files, apps and such are necessary (so that I can add them by hand instead of flashing)?

Just unzip the package and have a look. The only thing that may not be obvious is you need to remove /system/lib/hw/alsa.zoom2.so

Apart from that you can see the files and apps that get added just by looking inside the zip.

The main files needed are:
  • /system/lib/hw/alsa.default.so
  • /system/etc/asound.conf
  • /system/app/UsbMode.apk this is the app that enables host mode. Needs SU to be able to run.
  • Plus the kernel.

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

Just unzip the package and have a look. The only thing that may not be obvious is you need to remove /system/lib/hw/alsa.zoom2.so

Apart from that you can see the files and apps that get added just by looking inside the zip.

Yes, thanks, I did that already.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: what do I need to add to my uImage and/or uRamdisk to allow USB audio? I'd prefer to just modify my kernel instead of overwrite it with a whole different one.

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Yes, thanks, I did that already.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: what do I need to add to my uImage and/or uRamdisk to allow USB audio? I'd prefer to just modify my kernel instead of overwrite it with a whole different one.

Not sure where to get the audio sources for the kernel from. I just grabbed this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43212551&postcount=164
It has everything I need.

• FastScreen
  • MultiTouch
  • UsbHost
  • UsbToCom
  • UsbSound

N

NOOK!E

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Just tested it with the your uRamdisk. It works fine. Haven't tested this with the Nook Touch Glow yet. So unsure if it works with it or not.

Last edited:

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Some apps didn't work with the sound so I have updated the USB-Sound package with a new sound engine.

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Sweet, thanks! Now, all I need is to either find or make a Nook Touch Glow 1.2.1 kernel that has UsbSound included.

Can you help me with that?

@latuk is going to be the best person to speak to about that. But its gotta be easier getting his Kernel working with the Glow light then trying to build a kernel from scratch. His kernel has everything enabled already.

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

@latuk is going to be the best person to speak to about that. But its gotta be easier getting his Kernel working with the Glow light then trying to build a kernel from scratch. His kernel has everything enabled already.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but @latuk has not been online at XDA in over a year. How would I get ahold of him?

N

NOOK!E

@pinguy1982, okay, so I just tried the kernel from your .zip (just the uImage, not uRamdisk), and it appears to not have hosed by GlowLight after all! One thing I do ask, though - is this a 1.1.5 kernel? It appears to have removed proper functionality for NoRefresh, and since I have the 1.2.x test version, I thought perhaps the kernel downgraded me.

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
@pinguy1982, okay, so I just tried the kernel from your .zip (just the uImage, not uRamdisk), and it appears to not have hosed by GlowLight after all! One thing I do ask, though - is this a 1.1.5 kernel? It appears to have removed proper functionality for NoRefresh, and since I have the 1.2.x test version, I thought perhaps the kernel downgraded me.

Its based on 1.2.1

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Ah, I figured it out. It's FastScreen's fault.

I'm running the kernel as we speak, wih FastMode2 installed. I like it, but there don't seem to be any contrast settings. Got any tips?

FastMode2 doesn't have any contrast settings, but it shouldn't need it. The biggest issue with fastmode is with ghosting, but contrast wise it is far better then NoRefresh.

N

NOOK!E

FastMode2 doesn't have any contrast settings, but it shouldn't need it. The biggest issue with fastmode is with ghosting, but contrast wise it is far better then NoRefresh.

Yeah, I've been noticing both items. Thankfully, ghosting hasn't been too terrible, but the contrast is, as you said, much better than NoRefresh.

Thanks for all your help - once I get my Sabrent External Sound Box USB-SBCV off Amazon (recommended by Renate, I believe), I should be in business for audio playback (and audio recording? is that also in this kernel?).

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Yeah, I've been noticing both items. Thankfully, ghosting hasn't been too terrible, but the contrast is, as you said, much better than NoRefresh.

Thanks for all your help - once I get my Sabrent External Sound Box USB-SBCV off Amazon (recommended by Renate, I believe), I should be in business for audio playback (and audio recording? is that also in this kernel?).

Doubt it. I think the feature is kinda pointless on the NST. But if you want to enable audio recording the details are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43281985&postcount=374

But audio recording may work as is. I haven't tested it but as it has a new sound engine it might work (I ported part of it from the the NOOK Color v1.1.0)

I haven't modified the framework.jar though and I am pretty sure its not going to work until AudioRecord.smali has been modified.

By the way updated the USB-Audio package. It sounds really good now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It works its just a bit tricky to get enabled. You may have to reboot the device to get it working.
    Also if you have under 50% battery life the USB sound dongle will cut out. So make sure you have plenty of battery life.

MX Player works better playing videos then QQPlayer, but the sound with MKV files cuts out. On the QQPlayer the sound works fine.

The version of MX Player I tested was 1.7.40 for Froyo/Eclair.

Mediaserver doesn't work on the NST so any MP3s you add won't show up in Music players. To get around this use ES File Explorer built in music player to play local MP3s.

In UsbMode.apk, look at "State" at the top.
    • b_peripheral - you're not in host mode
    • a_wait_vrise - you're in host mode, but the VBUS has not risen, you still have the charging circuit enabled or too big a drain
    • a_host - you're in host mode and ready to go

If you are having trouble, at least start out using a hub powered by a wall adapter.

There's a new UsbMode-2.1.apk in the signature. There are no changes that will affect what you are doing. The changes have more to do with using it on Android versions to Lollipop. Although the mode controls are disabled on non-Nooks (and not needed), the diagnostic abilities are useful on my Nexus 9.
    Well, that's all weird.
    The first example you cited is the least abnormal.
    Can you run a dmesg on ADB and see what the kernel is saying about these USB attachments?
    You're saying that you have never seen any nodes on View USB besides the controller and the lone empty [1] below it?

Admittedly the whole hardware and driver on the Nook are a bit wonky.
    I just tried to get a keyboard working directly on my Nook and it took a few tries.
    I pretty much always use a back-powering hub.

As far as ease of use and reliability goes:
    1. Back-powering hub
    2. Normal powered hub
    3. Single keyboard
    4. Audio adapter or flash drive

For keyboards the simplest clear check is to hit the Caps Lock, Scroll Lock or Num Lock and see if the LEDs goes on and off.
    Ah, our old friend error -110, connection timed out.
    It's clearly thrashing.
    Are you sure that the current limit says "Off" in UsbMode.apk?
    Are you sure that your USB OTG adapter is good?
    Can you try with another keyboard?
    Can you try with a hub?
    Are you sure that you have the USB driver with the original fix?