• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Cyanogenmod for mediatek devices

Search This thread

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017
The recovery partitions only haves 6mb so ye small for latest twrp builds...

I actually did it, but you need to edit your "stock" scatter file

Increase recovery partitions by editing the scatters's partition size, you take space from the next partition into /recovery

I made two scatters, one with 11mb another with 24mb

The only problem is , for releasing this , people would messed up things... Haha
Some people can't work with spflashtools, and this involves more work...
Flash an full "modified stock rom" with an modified scatter ( increased recovery part.)
Then let that ROM boot
Back to recovery and erase all
Flash new ROM (Los etc)

Tons of work for the "regular user"...

So if I manage to edit the scatter file (Do I need to edit EBR1 and MBR files too?) successfully, in theory I would need to update the partition defines on the kernel source too? Also, "disabling" (Removing all the dummy_lens, device imgsensors, flashlight, audio...) the drivers doesn't let me compile, it errors out about something related to audio and the flashlight, so I'm out of options in regards to that I think.

EDIT:
I used a tool named MTK Partition Editor for editing the scatter and the EBR1/MBR files, all looks good, I format the nand entirely except the bootloader (Using SP Flash Tools) and then, I use Download Only to flash the new files. Rom itself works and I can flash the regular lower-than 6MB recoveries, but when I flash a larger one it doesn't want to boot (Checked that it's working on the kitkat partition scheme, but not on the repartitioned jb one), anything I could be missing?

EDIT 2:
@DragonPT I think I've found why it does not boot, I've recompiled the kernel, formated the phone (Again...) using Jellybean stock rom+lk+preloader etc using SP Flash Tools, changed a working recovery kernel (PhilZ) and pushed it to the device, the result? It takes like 30 seconds to get to recovery mode, only to be presented with a partition mount error, can't mount cache, system... etc To my surprise (And by navigating through your commit history) I've seen a commit where you fix partition defines, applied that to my kernel (Using values for my device obviously) but it hasn't changed, still throws those errors. Also, vol+ and vol- don't seem to be working (Rest of the buttons including touch ones seem to work just fine if I use PhilZ key test function to check which keys are pressed) but the rest (Including lcd and touchscreen) seem to be working. I think my kernel doesn't boot android because it cannot actually find any partitions and thus, it gets stuck in kernel mode and doesn't bootstrap itself to android (If that makes any sense...).
Where could I look into in order to fix this?
Thanks for your precious time reading and answering!

EDIT 3:
For some strange reason, the recovery/kernel is able to detect and browse my external sd, which is very strange, anything you could think of knowing this?

EDIT 4:
Managed to get a kmsg of the kernel, hope it helps

EDIT 5:
Cloned your asus kernel, added my LCM and Touchpanel and magically, all partitions work! But kernel lasts only for 5-10 seconds before it reboots itself... What could it be? (Also, where could I try diffing on my kernel source to fix mounting of partitions?)

EDIT 6:
Finally fixed it! Sorry for the long reply, problem was easier than I thought, it all was due to partition_defines.h being misconfigured... Re-checked with the scatter, fixed the addresses and now it gets to recovery mode (Without rebooting) and using bq's original source!

EDIT 7:
Quick ported CM11 (The one that still used 3.4.5 kernel) just to test the kernel, no bootanimation shows but it logcats a bunch of stuff. It gets to SetupWizard (Shows up and instantly disappears) so I think kernel-side, it's working. But if I try to make it work on my stock jelly bean, it doesn't boot (Disabled SELinux completely and still the same), it's getting on my nerves because it doesn't make any sense... -> Attaching logcat:

Attachments

• kmsg.txt
    258.6 KB · Views: 9
  • b.txt
    510.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: bigrammy

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
So if I manage to edit the scatter file (Do I need to edit EBR1 and MBR files too?) successfully, in theory I would need to update the partition defines on the kernel source too? Also, "disabling" (Removing all the dummy_lens, device imgsensors, flashlight, audio...) the drivers doesn't let me compile, it errors out about something related to audio and the flashlight, so I'm out of options in regards to that I think.

EDIT:
I used a tool named MTK Partition Editor for editing the scatter and the EBR1/MBR files, all looks good, I format the nand entirely except the bootloader (Using SP Flash Tools) and then, I use Download Only to flash the new files. Rom itself works and I can flash the regular lower-than 6MB recoveries, but when I flash a larger one it doesn't want to boot (Checked that it's working on the kitkat partition scheme, but not on the repartitioned jb one), anything I could be missing?

EDIT 2:
@DragonPT I think I've found why it does not boot, I've recompiled the kernel, formated the phone (Again...) using Jellybean stock rom+lk+preloader etc using SP Flash Tools, changed a working recovery kernel (PhilZ) and pushed it to the device, the result? It takes like 30 seconds to get to recovery mode, only to be presented with a partition mount error, can't mount cache, system... etc To my surprise (And by navigating through your commit history) I've seen a commit where you fix partition defines, applied that to my kernel (Using values for my device obviously) but it hasn't changed, still throws those errors. Also, vol+ and vol- don't seem to be working (Rest of the buttons including touch ones seem to work just fine if I use PhilZ key test function to check which keys are pressed) but the rest (Including lcd and touchscreen) seem to be working. I think my kernel doesn't boot android because it cannot actually find any partitions and thus, it gets stuck in kernel mode and doesn't bootstrap itself to android (If that makes any sense...).
Where could I look into in order to fix this?
Thanks for your precious time reading and answering!

EDIT 3:
For some strange reason, the recovery/kernel is able to detect and browse my external sd, which is very strange, anything you could think of knowing this?

EDIT 4:
Managed to get a kmsg of the kernel, hope it helps

EDIT 5:
Cloned your asus kernel, added my LCM and Touchpanel and magically, all partitions work! But kernel lasts only for 5-10 seconds before it reboots itself... What could it be? (Also, where could I try diffing on my kernel source to fix mounting of partitions?)

EDIT 6:
Finally fixed it! Sorry for the long reply, problem was easier than I thought, it all was due to partition_defines.h being misconfigured... Re-checked with the scatter, fixed the addresses and now it gets to recovery mode (Without rebooting) and using bq's original source!

EDIT 7:
Quick ported CM11 (The one that still used 3.4.5 kernel) just to test the kernel, no bootanimation shows but it logcats a bunch of stuff. It gets to SetupWizard (Shows up and instantly disappears) so I think kernel-side, it's working. But if I try to make it work on my stock jelly bean, it doesn't boot (Disabled SELinux completely and still the same), it's getting on my nerves because it doesn't make any sense... -> Attaching logcat:

Hard to tell, with just this logs... but kernel log shows I2c errors in at least one driver (so,just disable all uneeded drivers and re-rest)
Disable sensors, flashlight and lens, imgsensors and re-rest

Cm11 logs, only shows nvram errors ( can't mount) and also some storage issues, (this shouldn't be an issue) but nvram is unable to be mounted.

As for editing scatter to increase recovery partition, you don't need to edit mbr/ebr.

Cheers

Kaijones23

Recognized Developer
Dec 7, 2018
Las Vegas
@DragonPT, I have an issue where on my Karnak I'm currently upgrading the kernel 3.18 to 4.9 so there is like last_kmsg when it panics but no pstore on 3.18 through recovery. So I was able to get it booting but like I tried to debug the kernel through framebuffer console, it won't print anything out and it stays there where the Linux logos are at. So the kernel source is here https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_mediatek_mt8163_4.9
is there a way to make the console to print to the screen since it is stuck on something. I can do UART but it's not printing from there also.
i guess there is an issue with i2c or some drivers. thanks!

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017
Hard to tell, with just this logs... but kernel log shows I2c errors in at least one driver (so,just disable all uneeded drivers and re-rest)
Disable sensors, flashlight and lens, imgsensors and re-rest

Cm11 logs, only shows nvram errors ( can't mount) and also some storage issues, (this shouldn't be an issue) but nvram is unable to be mounted.

As for editing scatter to increase recovery partition, you don't need to edit mbr/ebr.

Cheers

Managed to boot the bq source 3.4.5 kernel for the first time in 4-5 years I've been trying!
It has booted a kitkat rom, next stop, lollipop!
Many thanks for your advices!

Again, quick ported Lollipop to see if it would boot (And then update the device tree on my git for proper compilation from source) and it stays on bootanimation, I think it's due to some SELinux config, but I'm not completely sure so I'll leave a logcat here for you to check!

EDIT 1:
Lollipop booted! But still, there are some SELinux related errors (Mainly the ones present in the previous logcat) something to do with avc and permissions, I have SELinux enabled on kernel and the binder patch, what else could it be?
Also, how doable is booting Lineage Marshmallow?

EDIT 2:
Also, Lineage 12.1 asks for OpenJDK 7, but I'm unable to install it, any workaround? @superdragonpt

Attachments

• lollipop.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017
@superdragonpt Well, after acquiring the 12.1 sources and failing to build due to openjdk-7 not available anymore to install on modern Ubuntu versions (Also tried using docker but to no avail) I guess I better start downloading 13.0 sources to try booting Marshmallow on the 6589 (openjdk-8 is still maintained so I can build it). Anywhere I can find the required patches? Thanks! (If you compile 12.1 without openjdk-7 I'll gladly copy your method if you prefer that I work on 12.1 instead of 13).
Thanks again and for your time!

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
@superdragonpt Well, after acquiring the 12.1 sources and failing to build due to openjdk-7 not available anymore to install on modern Ubuntu versions (Also tried using docker but to no avail) I guess I better start downloading 13.0 sources to try booting Marshmallow on the 6589 (openjdk-8 is still maintained so I can build it). Anywhere I can find the required patches? Thanks! (If you compile 12.1 without openjdk-7 I'll gladly copy your method if you prefer that I work on 12.1 instead of 13).
Thanks again and for your time!

Hi,

I have a workaround for the jdk error.

I can PM you if you want;)

Regards!

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017
Hello!
After fixing OpenJDK 7 dependency, I've tried applying @blackrebel75 's patches but they're outdated (Merge problems), anywhere I can find them updated?
Cheers!

EDIT:
Added them manually but build system complains about a lot of local shared libraries missing (libvcodecdrv, libmtkplayer, libcustom-prop and so on) so I guess I'm out of luck with this patches.
EDIT2: Fixed

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Compiled CM12.1 from source, no errors, but it doesn't boot.
Attatching logcat:

Hi there,

Code:
E/SurfaceFlinger(  127): hwcomposer module not found
W/SurfaceFlinger(  127): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying a simpler query

Are hwc blobs OK?

BTW, the logcat that you attached is pretty short, maybe you can try to post a larger one;)

Regards!

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017
Hi there,

Code:
E/SurfaceFlinger(  127): hwcomposer module not found
W/SurfaceFlinger(  127): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying a simpler query

Are hwc blobs OK?

BTW, the logcat that you attached is pretty short, maybe you can try to post a larger one;)

Regards!

Logcat doesn't even continue hahahah it just stops there.
I've booted cyano before without using hwc so, I don't really think that's the problem, I'm recompilling the kernel with some commits from superdragonpt to see if that makes any difference, I'll come back with the test results in a few minutes.

Reactions: Rortiz2

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Logcat doesn't even continue hahahah it just stops there.
I've booted cyano before without using hwc so, I don't really think that's the problem, I'm recompilling the kernel with some commits from superdragonpt to see if that makes any difference, I'll come back with the test results in a few minutes.

:good:

Maybe dmesg tells us something more interesting:p

Regards!

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Attatching dmesg:
https://pastebin.com/P06ZP5tx

EDIT:
5.1.1 Booted! It was a problem regarding boot.img (Not kernel)
EDIT2:
Well, it's stuck at Starting apps, any input on how to fix this? @superdragonpt

Dont go and use all BlackRebels's patchs:

• Out of order
  • Made for Old sync
  • Lots os s* not needed (really)

concerning HWC, you dont really need it unless you wanna work on having camera
for bringup just disable HWC on :

• vendor
  • hardware/libhardware
  • frameworks/native

Logs show only two "kinda issues" worth mentioning:

Code:
<4>[    2.517246] (1)mtk-tpd: Himax TP: I2C transfer error, line: 3569  <4>[    2.517268] (1)mtk-tpd: probe of 0-004a failed with error -1

Usually some MTK devices throw this error, should NOT be an issue, but if you really wanna confirm its not your TP driver crasing:

• Disable TPD_probe function on the driver, or just disable TP driver on ProjectConfig
  • You also have some MSDC issues ( i have as well ) not an big issue ...

But i think your issue should be storage related
I would be checking your device configuration and storage overlays

in my case my tablet MT8125 ( platform is 6589 but theres some differences)
uses Just MBR/EBR (no EBR2) ie:

https://github.com/dragonpt/android...mmit/b8a1a86064bf2d387b45ea0d04165b272e8864a7

https://github.com/dragonpt/android...mmit/3579468d79ad1ef41ce499d57431256b3246f3cd

And ramdisk

cheers

Last edited:

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017

• Out of order
  • Made for Old sync
Then, for initial bringup, which are the ones really needed? I plan on fixing the rest of non-working stuff later on, but for now, booting it would just be enough as a PoC.

• vendor
  • hardware/libhardware
  • frameworks/native
So I do only need to apply HWC patches for vendor, libhw, and native? (Well, on vendor thing, I guess you mean to remove hwcomposer.mtxxxx...)

Code:
<4>[    2.517246] (1)mtk-tpd: Himax TP: I2C transfer error, line: 3569  <4>[    2.517268] (1)mtk-tpd: probe of 0-004a failed with error -1

Usually some MTK devices throw this error, should NOT be an issue, but if you really wanna confirm its not your TP driver crasing:

• Disable TPD_probe function on the driver, or just disable TP driver on ProjectConfig
Using this exact kernel, Cyano 12.0 boots perfectly fine, so yes, I'll look into it but just for the sake of determining if it's indeed an error caused by the kernel.
Can the msdc issues be fixed somehow? I've tried to trace down them but to no avail.

https://github.com/dragonpt/android...mmit/b8a1a86064bf2d387b45ea0d04165b272e8864a7

https://github.com/dragonpt/android...mmit/3579468d79ad1ef41ce499d57431256b3246f3cd

And ramdisk

cheers

I'll check that out too! (Should be fixed in next build)

EDIT: CM12.1 booted finally! No Wi-Fi (Using still JB blobs and that stuff...), only SDCard0 is detected (Internal), no camera (Disabled in kernel). Probably no sound, No USB ADB (Even after 'unsecuring' boot.img), no way to test telephony so I don't know if they work, and ROM feels sluggish (HWComp related?), I'll start upstreaming the kernel drivers part so that I can use sensors and all that stuff from Kitkat and see how it goes.

EDIT2: Storage fixed, it was a boot.img misconfiguration.

EDIT3: Documenting more things, looks like screen doesn't want to power off at all when I press the power button but it gets locked and I can unlock it and power the screen on again if I press it (I suspect it's something related to kernel), but if I leave the phone 2-3 minutes (I suspect it gets on deep sleep) and I press the power button, it does not respond anymore (Although hardware keys light up just fine).
I've also noticed that my vol up/down keys are not working (cust_kpd related I guess) but I have no idea where to look for in order to fix it (Kitkat kernel keys work just fine, how would I be able to compare both to fix it on jellybean kernel?) Fixed the keys and the general slugginesh by using kk's codegen.

Last edited:

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Then, for initial bringup, which are the ones really needed? I plan on fixing the rest of non-working stuff later on, but for now, booting it would just be enough as a PoC.

So I do only need to apply HWC patches for vendor, libhw, and native? (Well, on vendor thing, I guess you mean to remove hwcomposer.mtxxxx...)

Using this exact kernel, Cyano 12.0 boots perfectly fine, so yes, I'll look into it but just for the sake of determining if it's indeed an error caused by the kernel.
Can the msdc issues be fixed somehow? I've tried to trace down them but to no avail.

I'll check that out too! (Should be fixed in next build)

EDIT: CM12.1 booted finally! No Wi-Fi (Using still JB blobs and that stuff...), only SDCard0 is detected (Internal), no camera (Disabled in kernel). Probably no sound, No USB ADB (Even after 'unsecuring' boot.img), no way to test telephony so I don't know if they work, and ROM feels sluggish (HWComp related?), I'll start upstreaming the kernel drivers part so that I can use sensors and all that stuff from Kitkat and see how it goes.

EDIT2: Storage fixed, it was a boot.img misconfiguration.

EDIT3: Documenting more things, looks like screen doesn't want to power off at all when I press the power button but it gets locked and I can unlock it and power the screen on again if I press it (I suspect it's something related to kernel), but if I leave the phone 2-3 minutes (I suspect it gets on deep sleep) and I press the power button, it does not respond anymore (Although hardware keys light up just fine).
I've also noticed that my vol up/down keys are not working (cust_kpd related I guess) but I have no idea where to look for in order to fix it (Kitkat kernel keys work just fine, how would I be able to compare both to fix it on jellybean kernel?) Fixed the keys and the general slugginesh by using kk's codegen.

Cool

For wifi (mtk JB) uses hald
Make sure you've added it into your ramdisk, and in source

For the "lag" your experience it's not related to hwc, even being off , and removing his integration, the ROM runs smoothly, (the only exception is while using gapps along, that causes a bit of lag)

This should be something coming from your kernel, after checking your kernel repo, I saw you updated pvr to 1.9 v25xxx, but you didn't updated video part.

Your kernel base is for early JB 4.2.1
The latest 3.4.5 JB mtk kernel branch for 4.2.1
( started using this powervr build) and also on 3.4.5 kernel for JB 4.2.2

One of my early test kernels ( I built like 5 kernels based on all mtk JB Branch's), was based on the same mtk branch your using, I updated powervr but I experience severe lag, and some video issues:

Screen didn't sleep
Slow video response ( starting on bootanimation being slow)

So I had to update all video/ mtkfb part and that fixed it

Just start with an recent mtk kernel branch ( like the one I'm using) and that should be fixed

Cheers

Last edited:

cakehonolulu

Sep 5, 2017

• Out of order
  • Made for Old sync

• vendor
  • hardware/libhardware
  • frameworks/native

Code:

And ramdisk

cheers

Cool

For wifi (mtk JB) uses hald
Make sure you've added it into your ramdisk, and in source

For the "lag" your experience it's not related to hwc, even being off , and removing his integration, the ROM runs smoothly, (the only exception is while using gapps along, that causes a bit of lag)

This should be something coming from your kernel, after checking your kernel repo, I saw you updated pvr to 1.9 v25xxx, but you didn't updated video part.

Your kernel base is for early JB 4.2.1
The latest 3.4.5 JB mtk kernel branch for 4.2.1
( started using this powervr build) and also on 3.4.5 kernel for JB 4.2.2

One of my early test kernels ( I built like 5 kernels based on all mtk JB Branch's), was based on the same mtk branch your using, I updated powervr but I experience severe lag, and some video issues:

Screen didn't sleep
Slow video response ( starting on bootanimation being slow)

So I had to update all video/ mtkfb part and that fixed it

Just start with an recent mtk kernel branch ( like the one I'm using) and that should be fixed

Cheers

Upstreamed a bunch of video, mtkfb, vcodec... stuff from your branch but still the same, I don't know where to look to find the reminding things

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Upstreamed a bunch of video, mtkfb, vcodec... stuff from your branch but still the same, I don't know where to look to find the reminding things

There's a s# load of stuff you need to upstream , but let me check if I can find this old test kernel repo...
From the top of my head: it needs
ssome platform / drivers upstreamed (video being one)
Some mediatek/kernel drivers upstream( video as well)
And add several includes on kernel common ( defines used by this drvs)

Even so that this fixed the pvr upgrade issue with video, I moved on to an newer kernel baseline , and things are better ( and cleaner as well) haha

Cheers

Edit: as for audio I rebuilt audio libs using MTK MT6589 KK BSP, and included MTK KK 6589 new audio policy on frameworks

Last edited:

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
@DragonPT, I have an issue where on my Karnak I'm currently upgrading the kernel 3.18 to 4.9 so there is like last_kmsg when it panics but no pstore on 3.18 through recovery. So I was able to get it booting but like I tried to debug the kernel through framebuffer console, it won't print anything out and it stays there where the Linux logos are at. So the kernel source is here https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_mediatek_mt8163_4.9
is there a way to make the console to print to the screen since it is stuck on something. I can do UART but it's not printing from there also.
i guess there is an issue with i2c or some drivers. thanks!
Sorry missed this...

From what I remembered there's some ioctl you need to fix for framebuffer or something like that
( Moving on kernel baseline it's a pain ...) But ye 3.18 is EOL...

To have uart working, you'll need to have uart open
( defined) on lk (littlekernel) and also on preloader

I assume your not an OEM engineer ( : p ) ...so your likely using an retail (user) build, uart is disabled for retail user builds...

Iim not at work, when I get back , I'll check the ioctl issue on help desk...

Cheers

Edit( picture) example of uart on .lk src

Attachments

• uart-lk.png
    uart-lk.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, We are going to try something new for our china phones - cyanogenmod.

But we need some more devs to get everything going.

For now we have:

-Github tree for Lenovo P700i(mediatek 6577, android 4.0.4, kernel 3.0.8)

-Lens_flare - original port author(may work with system folder and configs)

-some kernel source from other devices like liquid gallant

The main problem is getting adb to work that could help a lot on remaining development. For now even zygote not starting, but all partitions seems mounted successfully.

We need more devs (especially that could assemble working kernel for device), working with p700i may lead to following porting for other mtk devices, as sources are nearly the same.
    Lollipop on MT6577

Hi there .

Just to let you know, that lollipop is now booting on ZTE v970 [MT6577- w/ ComBo-Chip MT6620]
    With my custom 3.4.67 KK Kernel + some cherry-picks from the new MTK 3.10.54 LL Kernel

Still very early, baseband is recognized , but still needs a lot more work on Telephony, Platform, etc.

;)

Regards
    More progress on this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2467400

I have 3G data and incoming voice calls working now.

Next: kitkat.

Chris

Please hit the thx button. And please thank also dr shadow and xplodwild from omnirom.
    KitKat Sources MT6582 / 6592

Since my Cloud host, removed the sources,that i uploaded twice

Using MEGA now, should be on for some days..

Edit: no more source leaks, noobies will always be noobies
    I won't be sharing more source stuff

Learn to comply with GPL and respect others

Regards
    I'm working now since 1 day on CM13 and here the first screenshot on mt6592 :).