DAB+ App: (real)zoulou's DAB-Z app (official support thread)

Search This thread

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
In some cases the app stuck at the screen below. Switching to another app and back helps to start DAB-Z. Happens only in two latest app versions.

Someone has similar experience?

View attachment 5571261
Had the chance for a quick look into logcat before jumping in the office. Attached some pics.
IMG_20220330_074838.jpgIMG_20220330_074825.jpgIMG_20220330_074825_1.jpgIMG_20220330_074758.jpgIMG_20220330_074726.jpg

japioothuis

Dec 14, 2017
This must have been coincidence. I did not do any changes that could explain your described behavior. Maybe you have a device in the vehicle which radiates HF noise at 11C frequency (=220352 kHz ~ 220 MHz)
I was checking the 11c commercial stations on my DAB+ home radio ( never use DAB on it because I have cable radio ) and also
on the kitchen DAB+ radio here in the western part of The Netherlands and both radios have the same problems
with 11c.
So I suppose it's a weak signal problem here.

Reactions: okij and realzoulou

realzoulou

Nov 3, 2016
Greater Area Munich
1. after starting of DAB-Z it is often takes 10-15 seconds to populate station list (i have about 120 stations, and about 16 favorites). Other option - after 5 seconds it says that there are no stations and i should start scan. To get out of this mode it is not enough to just go back. I really need to kill app from recent app list, then after restart the chances are big, that it will find all my stations after 4-6 seconds.
This problem appears in approx. 50% of cases.
2. It is sometimes happens that the station is playing, but signal strength is not there - white dashes as pictogram, and empty space ("") as a value for signal strength in options (second page after station logo). Mention, that if there is no signal for station - then this field has words "NO SIGNAL".
I ran an endurance test on my Sofia device with 61 stations ... total 40 loops of start...wait for audio...stop
2022-04-02_13h28_47.gif

Since you are able to repro with 50%, can you send me a logcat with OMRI verbose mode of such an incident?

Last edited:

DominicS65

Jan 3, 2020
UK
Hi, not a biggie but is there a way to disable the service following feature? I have turned the sensitivity down to 1 which does help but doesn't seem to completely eradicate my issue. My use case is that I am in UK and listen to Classic FM (yes despite the name it is on DAB) and this indicates with the SF logo that this is active. What tends to happen is that I select Classic FM (on DAB) and after 10 seconds or so it goes quiet as it presumably hunts for an alternative signal and just stays in this state until I tune away. Eventually I reselect and it is OK, presumably because the car has moved to a more favourable location.

DominicS65

Jan 3, 2020
UK
Thanks for the reply, I see what my issue is, when I connect the head unit to my house wifi on my drive and tell Google Play to update everything, I am generally listening to the radio so DAB-Z is almost always open with the result that it is hit or miss if it gets updated. I forced an update and was able to see the disable SF toggle in General Settings. Whenever people are in my car and ask about the headunit I always mention that DAB-Z is the difference between an Android head unit being useful and being great.

pin1904

Apr 7, 2022
Hi,

I'm facing a strange bug in my DAB-Z App. If I use the one that was preinstalled on the device, I am able to change the background image. But as soon as I update to the latest version, it keeps the background image, but as soon as I enter the menu to change the bg image (in german it's named 'Darstellung') the bg is changed back to no image (black) and the option to change the background is greyed out ("no image picker app found").
On the old version (have to look it up which version it is) I am able to change the background image, and if I update it over Play Store to the latest version, the background image is still set. But as soon as I enter the menu it's reset to the black background and I have no option to pick an image. Are only certain image pickers supported? Which one should I use? Tried several, Google Images and a few others i can't remember but nothing works.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

realzoulou

Nov 3, 2016
Greater Area Munich
@pin1904 You have DAB-Z preinstalled in your device?!? This is actually not allowed by me. But I knew already that some devices for BMW cars come with my app as preinstalled app.
Apparently the company "forgot" to add a "Gallery" type preinstalled app.

All image picker apps are supported, which satisfy the Android standard Intent.ACTION_PICK or Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT (with type image/*)

I would be interested in knowing more about your device, who sold it and what DAB-Z version was preinstalled. Contact me on PN or email. I am fluent in German ;-)

Reactions: okij

[email protected]

May 8, 2019
Hello,
I think that the google translation is not good and there are some mistakes. I try to answer you without translation.
I tested the two versions at the same place in my car. The reception was really better on weak signals with 1.9.117 version.
It's as if the muting in a FM receiver was set too high!
I compare the last version 1.9.118 with DabPlayer -C2-H3.06 and DabPlayer C2-H3.18.18. After a complete scan, the number of stations found is equal but the audio cut with 2 bars signal but it's a little better with your software.
Dab player decodes station logos, your software only takes a few. But it's possible too add the logo in the station list with a long press of the finger, it's just longer.
Finaly, DabPlayer launches a scan on the sid of the current station when the signal is too weak.
I'm really sorry that I can't send you a raw recording but it doesn't work. After typing 7 times on version 1.9.117 nothing changes!
I attach below a very interesting conversation found on a French forum which explains how the following service works and how in France the FIC and FIG information (fast information channel and group) are not transmitted by French transmitters except on a single transmitter in Paris. hope the google translate will be good

FIC and FIG data are defined in the DAB+ standard.
In particular, we find the use of FIG0/21, FIG0/6 or FIG0/24 in the technical standard ETSI TS 103 176 Rules of implementation; Service information features in chapter 5 relating to the monitoring of radios from one mux to another, from one block to another or also between DAB and FM.
FIC and FIG Fast Information Channel and Group

FIC and FIG data are defined in the DAB+ standard.
In particular, we find the use of FIG0/21, FIG0/6 or FIG0/24 in the technical standard ETSI TS 103 176 Rules of implementation; Service information features in chapter 5 relating to the monitoring of radios from one mux to another, from one block to another or also between DAB and FM.

the FIC structure is shown in this worlDAB document:

the definitions of these data can be found in the worldDAB glossary:

FIC :arrow: Fast Information Channel
The FIC is a non-time-interleaved data channel with fixed equal error protection. In particular it is used to send the DAB Multiplex Configuration Information (MCI) and optionally Service Information and data services.

FIG :arrow: Fast Information Group
The FIG carries the following parts: Multiplex Configuration Information (MCI), Service Information (SI), FIC Data Channel (FIDC) and Conditional Access (CA).

we were led to talk about this FIC data on the forum in the thread of the two metropolitan multiplexes from February 7, 2022 because this data contains the information for monitoring services from one mux to another, when the reception picks up. This signaling is optional, widely deployed in Switzerland in particular but not at all in France currently.

the free DAB Player PC software (combined with an SDR-RTL key for less than 20 euros) makes it possible to recover these FIC data over a period of time (one minute is generally enough to recover everything largely)
We can already see if the different FIG groups are present in the FIC with DAB Player, in the DAB-info, FIC and FIG Statistics section...
They are all empty in Paris on all the multiplexes... except on the extended 11B Paris where we have FIG0/6 data...
Hello folks,
Thx for all the details,
I think current handling of service following is based on some misunderstanding of DAB Spec an interpretation of the rules of implementation. Basically there are implicit and explicit linking.
Explicit linking is signalized by FIG0/6 service link. As dab to dab or dab to FM hard and soft links. Both exist in national an international version and can be activated or deactivated by link actuator. But there is also implicit linking which compares ECC of ensemble or service, Sid and acid and or scids and uses following Rules to find same Service relationship.
1. ECC , EID, SID AND SCID is the same but transmitted on different frequency.
2. ECC SID AND SCID are same only Eid is different.
Important to know ECC can be transmitted on ensemble level and also on optionally on service level with cross country distribution like radio Maria or Bayern 3 in south Tyrol .
I hope this helps why pure dab highway is able to support service following if not fig 0/6 is transmitted.

pin1904

Apr 7, 2022
try "simple gallery" - it worked for several people before.
Hi, thanks for your response, but unfortunately simple gallery, at least that one I've tried (Simple Gallery), doesn't work either. I've talked to Zoulou and he mentioned that the problem might be that I'm using an Android 11 device which came without any "factory" image picker and the Simple Gallery isn't optimized for A11.
Does anybody know an image picker app for A11?

blackmike

Dec 18, 2007
Jello , is there a way to run sab-z on a klyde headunit with internal dab tuner? Or a versionof dab-z?
I find the dab-z app better than the original.

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Ok. Thats not that what i want to hear....the internal tuner is not bad.. can you tell me which one is a good dab tuner ? The internal dab must be disabled? If yes , how to do?
Just have a look aat the first posting in this thread.
There are a lot of different and nearly the same in different covers.

You don´t need to deactivate anything, cause the related SW is not present. Just attach the new receiver to the USB and install DAB-Z. That´s it.

Anton TNT

Sep 24, 2020
Croatia
Android Automotive OS
Hi realzoulou .
Just one small problem to address to for all users here including you.
This DAB-Z app is having a problem on my HU. It works fine as app but...

I have noticed that this DAB-Z app cause a interference with radio app specifically with 8227L motherboards.
I have ALPS F5000 device with Android 10 (fake Chinese 8) - build: CHS.8227_8_UI4_Android 10.
Namely, when you install new firmware on the 8227L platform, everything works ok (meaning for ALPS, JUNSUN, XTRONS, MEKEDE, A1 etc.), but when you log in to the GOOGLE PLAY STORE and download the DAB-Z app and install it, it's there application interference occurs. I don’t know why but it just freezes my radio app after the engine shuts down and is idle. After restarting the engine the radio app simply freezes and will not return or work again until I reinstall the firmware from scratch. How does this affect the operation of radio tuners and what is the problem? What it needs to be done here to resolve this ?

P.S: Also noticed that problem maybe lies in app settings "on top of other app".

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, on my XTRONS unit the app default text is very dark (f.ex the clock, second line of DAB info, etc). Could you add an option to choose color/brightess of this?
    I am working on a completely new UI, so please be accept it for now and look forward to DAB-Z 2.0 ...
    DAB-Z release 1.9.126

Change log: compared to 1.9.125
    * Fix: App does not fully start on some devices (see post #3657)
    DAB-Z release 1.9.125

Change log: compared to 1.9.123 BETA
    * Fix: UI controls for rotary controller ("iDrive")
    * Removed: PayPal and Google Play links
    @buffke This is technically not feasible. DAB is a real-time broadcast of audio and additional metadata. There is nothing you could buffer in advance in order to bridge a gap.
    It is the very same with FM/AM radio and live TV. You cannot buffer sth. that does not exist yet. What you hear/see is Live (!).
    And I assume you would not want to wait for 10sec after you changed to a station until you hear/see something. This would be the consequence of adding a 10sec buffer: You need to wait until the buffer is full, so that there is sth available for bridging a gap. But if the gaps sum up to more than 10sec, the "problem" is anyway back again.
    I am working on a completely new UI, so please be accept it for now and look forward to DAB-Z 2.0 ...
    That’s good news, thanks for the great app 👍
    Last updated: 2022-06-25
    Release notes of currently active release on Google Play 1.9.126
    Release notes of currently active PUBLIC BETA on Google Play: 1.9.126
    If you want to become beta user, subscribe in Google Play or open this link from the device : https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.zoulou.dab

The app is available in Google Play named DAB-Z with package name "com.zoulou.dab".
    It can be installed in parallel to any original preinstalled DAB+ Player.

Get DAB-Z on Google Play

Get previous versions on Apkpure

Compatible devices:

all DAB USB dongles with VID/PID = 16C0/05DC (decimal 5824/1500) ("VOTI", "Van Ooijen Technische Informatica", "shared ID for use with libusb", "[email protected]")
    Examples (for sure not complete!)
    XTRONS USBDAB01
    Joying DAB+
    Pumpkin Y0251
    Hotaudio Dasaita DAB+
    (and dozends or hundreds more, they are all quite the same, if not equal.)
    Use this link to find out more

NOT SUPPORTED:

* Any SDR ("Software Defined Radio") devices (e.g. based on Realtek RTL2832U R820T)
    * Fulljoin adapter
    * Dension DAB+U
    * Dasaita DAB box

DAB-Z's expected behavior regarding Play/Pause, Mute/Unmute, Navi App announcements

For testers that want to actively support me and help everyone to have a better DAB-Z app:

If you encounter an issue with DAB-Z, I will maybe ask you to provide a) logcat logs or b) raw recordings.

a) logcat logs are created by pressing the logcat button in DAB-Z Settings -> Info (at the very bottom)
    A zip file is created and you will be able to choose what to do (send via Email, add to Google Drive, etc...). Get this zip file to me somehow.
    If I additionally ask you to enable "OMRI verbose logging", then follow these steps before creating the logcat as above:

1. Enable Developer Menu: tap 7x on Settings->Info->Version , then go back, a new menu item appeared "Developer options" at the very bottom
    2. Enable OMRI verbose logging
    3. Close DAB-Z
    4. Reopen DAB-Z
    ... reproduce the issue ...
    5. Create the logcat DAB-Z Settings -> Info (at the very bottom)

b) raw recording are created by this procedure:

raw recordings are done using this procedure:
    1. Enable Developer Menu: tap 7x on Settings->Info->Version , then go back, a new menu item appeared "Developer options" at the very bottom
    2. Enable OMRI raw recording (you don't need to activate verbose logging)
    3. Close DAB-Z (raw recording enable/disable requires a restart of DAB-Z)
    4. Reopen DAB-Z
    ... reproduce the issue ...
    6. Go to DAB-Z Settings and disable OMRI raw recording. Restart DAB-Z again.

Afterwards, files with ending .raw exist in:
    up to 1.9.110 <internal memory>/DAB/rec/
    from 1.9.114 on: <internal memory>/Documents/DAB/rec/
    Download them all from the head unit, zip them and send to me.
    Release ZOU-DAB+171119 "Master Piece"

Release of the "Master Piece" version of the DAB+ App mod.
    ZOU-DAB+171119

Download: REMOVED

ZOU-DAB+171119-Flip-AutoHide.gif

Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to again to XDA member @[email protected]
    Credits for translation to Italian goes to china-rns.com member John Dai

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download):

New:
    - Station logos
    Station logos can be downloaded from Volkswagen for >20 countries across Europe and automatically installed to a User accessible location. More than one country can be installed. User can add own station logos in subfolder "<extStorageDir>/DAB/logos/user" in JPG or PNG format. No width/height restrictions for the logo. The app will automatically scale to fit.
    Settings allow to enable/disable showing station logos in station list and in Slide Show area. Scaling can be limited to 1x,2x,3x if needed.
    Settings list any issues in finding a matching logo for a certain station. The search is based on the station name. If no exact (substring) match can be found in the list of logo files, then a default logo is presented. The User has to fix this by renaming logo files or adding additional logo files outside(!) of the DAB app using a File Manager.
    - Layout:
    * new button icons
    * button bar moved from left to right side to gain more space for the slide show area
    * Changed the "logic" of the favorites button: Shows what will happen when pressing it, not what the current status is.
    * new "radio.png" logo. Using now a new DAB logo used in Germany (www.digitalradio.de)
    * the background boxes are not disabled by default. Can be reactivated in Settings.
    * General layout optimization for
    - 800x480 @ 320 dpi
    - 800x480 @ 240 dpi
    - 1024x600 @ 320 dpi
    - 1024x600 @ 240 dpi
    - Removed the previously added "Large SLS" activity. Replaced with an animated fade out of the station list.
    - Added an option to automatically hide the stationlist after a selectable timeout.
    - Added Audio format (MP2 or AAC) and Sample rate (44,1 or 48 kHz) to Station details. As before in the Large SLS, still accessible via "flipping" the slide show picture.
    - Added an option in Settings to move the App to background when the DAB App was started by the "USB device attached" event. Useful eg. when using certain launchers.
    - New logo in the notification bar.
    - Settings->Info shows the reason why the DAB App is running: Either started by "LAUNCHER" or "USB DEVICE ATTACHED"
    - Settings->Info shows the screen resolution and density (e.g. 1024x600 @ 160 dpi)
    - When scanning with type "update", old stations no longer received are now deleted. The favorite setting will be kept.
    - Added Italian translation. Thanks to John Dai @ china-rns.com

Changes:
    - Replaced old "Connecting..." behaviour with a completely new implementation
    - Audio recording now stored in <extStorageDir>/DAB/rec/ (instead of <extStorageDir>/dab_rec/)
    - Fixed: Channels "10N, 11N and 12N" not shown in station details
    - for developers: BroadcastIntent generation is now disabled by default. Can be reactivated in Settings.
    BroadcastIntent definition has changed w.r.t. "artist", "track" and "playing". See change documentation in BroadcastIntent-definition.txt

Note that the high pitch sound issue is not fixed in the 171119 release.

Video tutorial for station logo download from Internet:
    http://youtu.be/zVTGYbXsG7I

Video tutorial for adding own logo pictures :
    http://youtu.be/Bux3LEJoML8
    Release ZOU-DAB+180804 "Master Piece Maintenance Release 5"

Release of the "Master Piece Maintenance Release 5" version of the DAB+ App mod.

ZOU-DAB+180804

Download: http://bit.ly/2Kqp7HB
    (Please only share the bitly link with others)

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download)

- BroadcastIntent: added slsBitmap which contains currently displayed logo or DAB slideshow picture
    Goal: Allow launchers (e.g. FCC Car launcher) to display album art
    INFO: DAB App now also has a fairly complete implementation of Android's android.media.browse.MediaBrowserService interface
    This allows for using pure Android APIs to view metadata instead of using the proprietary BroadcastIntent
    - Add buttons for PREV and NEXT to Notification and use Media style notification
    - PREV/NEXT steering wheel behavior can be swapped in Settings->General
    - Fixed: Volume adjustment in Settings->Audio is lost after station change
    - Fixed: After several station scans, App completely fails to work until re-install.
    - Fixed: Duplicate entries in station list
    - Removed feature to delay the USB connection on automatic start, which was introduced with ZOU-DAB+180210
    - Removed option to avoid that DAB App is started twice from Settings->General. This is now avoided by using Android manifest launchMode=singleTask
    - Removed feature to download a country-specific station logo zip file and automatically extract it.
    Note: You can still copy an extracted folder of such station logos to /DAB/logos/ folder and after pressing "Sync" button in Settings->Station Logo the logo files will be scanned for a match between filename of a png/jpg file and the name of a station.
    Release ZOU-DAB+180618 "Master Piece Maintenance Release 4"

Release of the "Master Piece Maintenance Release 4" version of the DAB+ App mod.

ZOU-DAB+180618

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download)

- Fixed: Adopt Station Logo download to new VW website
    - Add a button to Settings->Info to show hints picture about how to use the UI
    Release ZOU-DAB+170909

Release of my next major version of the DAB+ App mod.
    ZOU-DAB+170909
    This is not the "master piece" release yet.

There are (again) two versions of the App:
    a) the "normal" one
    b) one with no usb_device_filter.xml included, which makes Android remember already granted access of DAB+ App to the USB DAB device.
    However, Android then also starts the DAB+ App whenever it finds the USB DAB device as newly connected, which is the case when you power on the
    head unit.
    Some people don't want that the DAB+ app starts automatically when the DAB USB device is detected at startup. This is the reason why this version exists.
    Note: When running on Android >= 6, this version will most likely ask for permission to access the USB device at *every* start of the app.

Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to XDA member @[email protected]

Changes (see also the Changes.txt from the download):

New:
    - Most (not all) of the texts are now available in: English, Deutsch and Norsk bokmål
    Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to XDA member [B @[email protected][/B]
    - Swipe to right in station list shows a delete button. On swipe left again, delete button disappears. On click on delete button an alert dialog appears to allow the user to confirm. Deletion of stations cannot be un-done. A new scan is needed to get the station back.
    - Additional info (channel and ensemble name) in station list can be deactivated via Settings->Layout
    - "Service Following" feature can be activated in Settings->General. NOTE: This is treated as "Experimental". This activates the original app functionality, which was always in the app, but was not connected to the UI. Do not blame me if you find it not working.
    - Audio recording button can be activated via Settings->General
    - The borders around the slide show picture and around the station list can be deactivated via Settings->Layout
    - A click on the slide show picture creates a large version of the picture. I call this "Large SLS".
    - Swipe left or right on "Large SLS" switches between the picture and some detailled info about the current station.
    - When starting a re-scan one can choose now between "Replace all stations" and "Add new stations"
    - The app sends out broadcast intents containing all information that you can also find on the screen.
    The definition of the intent is in file "BroadcastIntent-definition.txt"

Changes:
    - Fixed: no audio after standby when using NoKill mods.
    - Fixed: when USB connection suddenly drops, the App remains active but with no audio. My fix is to close the app.
    - Settings layout improved
    - Notification now contains station name instead of "Make DAB+ great again ..."
    - A second way to enter the settings screen is via the "Large SLS" screen
    - Optimization of memory allocations. Results in less Garbage Collector runs, which is good for overall performance.

Main.PNG Large_SLS.jpg
    ChannelDetails.PNG Credits.PNG

Videotour through the DAB+ App:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVRfX5n8eM