DAB+ App: (real)zoulou's DAB-Z app (official support thread)

Search This thread

neo61uk

Jan 15, 2022
Hi all

Just installed latest version of 1.9.117 on my headunit. My old one was 4-5 months old so not sure what version exactly. But it used to start on every usb detection upon boot.
But now it won’t do that.
I have to manually start it every time.

Any idea why it won’t start even when selected in settings?

Thanks for help

bigburd05

Nov 26, 2021
Hi,
Having trouble with my USB DAB+ on XTRONS PX5 unit (model PB78HGT)running Android 8. It's been working for 3 years but now failing every time I start up the DAB Z app with "No dab usb hardware". I've checked the USB cable, and it is ok with a memory stick (can browse files with ES file Explorer app). I swapped the USB cable with a new XTRONS USB cable, same result. I also swapped the DAB dongle (USBDAB01) with a new dongle with its own antenna (USBDAB03) and it failed the same way. I updated DAB Z app to the latest version too, same result, although it's a little more verbose about the 5 attempts it makes to connect.

I was going to follow the instructions on the original post on this thread to set up logging on the DAB Z app, but I can't get to the settings of the app, because it exits as soon as it displays the "no DAB USB" error.

Can someone advise on next steps for me, please?
Is there another way to set up DAB Z to log details or not to exit on that error, or some other way to understand the reason for the error?
Does the Android USB mode need to be set to some specific mode to work for DAB?
Is it likely I have a hardware issue with the USB socket on the head unit?

Cheers

Iain

realzoulou

Nov 3, 2016
Greater Area Munich
@bigburd05 : If a USB memory stick is working fine, then it means that:
1. USB mode is already setup correctly: Head Unit is the host, USB DAB adapter is the device.
2. "In principle" all involved HW is doing ok: USB host controller within the HU, USB cable/plug from HU to DAB device.
Android logs of DAB-Z will not help. Save your time for sth else.

Questions:
a) On SW:
- Have you installed any app at the time when DAB-Z started failing to find the DAB adapter? If yes, which ones.
- Do you use any "Projection" App (like ZLink, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto), which allow you to bring the phone's screen onto the HU display?

b) On HW:
Have you tried using a USB hub in between HU and USB DAB adapter?

bigburd05

Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I've tried as best i can to follow up...
Questions:
a) On SW:
- Have you installed any app at the time when DAB-Z started failing to find the DAB adapter? If yes, which ones.
- Do you use any "Projection" App (like ZLink, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto), which allow you to bring the phone's screen onto the HU display?
* I don't recall any app installs at the time it started failing - the only install I've done is after it started to fail I updated DAB Z to latest (1.9.117)
* I don't use any projection or mirroring apps. I have started using the A2DP app to stream music from my phone to the head unit while I cannot use DAB Z.
* I use CarWebGuru as my launcher for the head unit.
* I have used ES File Explorer a few times - I wonder it is plays with the USB settings at all that might upset things for DAB?

b) On HW:
Have you tried using a USB hub in between HU and USB DAB adapter?
Yes, had a hub in between originally. Removed it (still worked). Have tried both with and without since it started failing, without success.

c) have you tried to connect (temporarily) DAB hardware to your smartphone or tablet? Will DAB-Z on phone recognize that stick?
I tried, but my Samsung s10 is awkward to get to USB settings. I had to enable developer mode and it still wouldn't offer me options very easily.

I now have two DAB adapters. The original USBDAB01 (UAB A connector) is still fitted to the car and HU and a new USBDAB03 (USB C) connector which is not connected and which I tried when the original setup started failing (thinking the adapter was the fault). The USBDAB03 has a red light on the adapter (whereas USBDAB01 has no indicator of any kind), which lights up when I connect it from my phone (nice positive sign that "something" is working, maybe!), but when I start the DAB Z app with my phone , it fails with "No DAB USB Device" the same as for the HU setup etc. I tried fiddling with the USB settings on the phone, for example,
1. set to USB mode = MIDI. Made no difference - still just seems to be in charge mode. Also tried setting to File Transfer etc, but no difference.
2. setting the phone to be the controller (default seems to be the device as controller), but it always fails to change to make the controller the phone (the phone gives me an error changing and reverts to the device as controller).

I also tried using a hub between phone and DAB adapter but this failed the same way (red light on, but DAB Z fails to connect on startup).
I tried the USBDAB01 in the car connected to my phone (with, and without a hub in between) and DAB Z fails to connect on startup as per usual

I tried connecting the USBDAB03 to the head unit (with, and without a hub in between) , and I don't see the red light on the adapter (and DAB Z fails to connect on startup).

I kinda think the way the samsung s10 setup hides the USB functionality is a bit of a barrier to using it to test the dongle (unless you guys know how to set the phone up reliably).

My unit is installed with the following (might be a bit old - have not changed this in a while)
Model is: PB78HGT Android 8.0.0
ROM: 4.4.93+ rocky@hctr930 #319 Sat Jun 9 2018
build Number px5-userdebug 8.0.0 OPR5.170623.007 eng.hct.20180703.094228 test--ke....
MCU: MTCE_GS_V2.90c_4 Aug 13 2018 17:42:12

Any more ideas?
Cheers
Iain

smilie1964

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I've tried as best i can to follow up...

* I don't recall any app installs at the time it started failing - the only install I've done is after it started to fail I updated DAB Z to latest (1.9.117)
* I don't use any projection or mirroring apps. I have started using the A2DP app to stream music from my phone to the head unit while I cannot use DAB Z.
* I use CarWebGuru as my launcher for the head unit.
* I have used ES File Explorer a few times - I wonder it is plays with the USB settings at all that might upset things for DAB?

Yes, had a hub in between originally. Removed it (still worked). Have tried both with and without since it started failing, without success.

I tried, but my Samsung s10 is awkward to get to USB settings. I had to enable developer mode and it still wouldn't offer me options very easily.

I now have two DAB adapters. The original USBDAB01 (UAB A connector) is still fitted to the car and HU and a new USBDAB03 (USB C) connector which is not connected and which I tried when the original setup started failing (thinking the adapter was the fault). The USBDAB03 has a red light on the adapter (whereas USBDAB01 has no indicator of any kind), which lights up when I connect it from my phone (nice positive sign that "something" is working, maybe!), but when I start the DAB Z app with my phone , it fails with "No DAB USB Device" the same as for the HU setup etc. I tried fiddling with the USB settings on the phone, for example,
1. set to USB mode = MIDI. Made no difference - still just seems to be in charge mode. Also tried setting to File Transfer etc, but no difference.
2. setting the phone to be the controller (default seems to be the device as controller), but it always fails to change to make the controller the phone (the phone gives me an error changing and reverts to the device as controller).

I also tried using a hub between phone and DAB adapter but this failed the same way (red light on, but DAB Z fails to connect on startup).
I tried the USBDAB01 in the car connected to my phone (with, and without a hub in between) and DAB Z fails to connect on startup as per usual

I tried connecting the USBDAB03 to the head unit (with, and without a hub in between) , and I don't see the red light on the adapter (and DAB Z fails to connect on startup).

I kinda think the way the samsung s10 setup hides the USB functionality is a bit of a barrier to using it to test the dongle (unless you guys know how to set the phone up reliably).

My unit is installed with the following (might be a bit old - have not changed this in a while)
Model is: PB78HGT Android 8.0.0
ROM: 4.4.93+ rocky@hctr930 #319 Sat Jun 9 2018
build Number px5-userdebug 8.0.0 OPR5.170623.007 eng.hct.20180703.094228 test--ke....
MCU: MTCE_GS_V2.90c_4 Aug 13 2018 17:42:12

Any more ideas?
Cheers
Iain
Try with an active hub. Maybe the USB Power is to less.

Th0m4s88

Jan 20, 2019
I found a small problem with a relatively new android 10 px5 head unit.

MCU: SF0-px5_C55_whd01a-aAaAaA_C8_20201202-10:45

When the head unit shuts down and wakes up again DAB-Z seems to have problems receiving signals from the DAB stick. There's no error message but the app shows no signal from all the radio stations. As soon as I restart DAB-Z everything is back to normal and all the radio stations have good signal strength again.

bigburd05

Nov 26, 2021
Try with an active hub. Maybe the USB Power is to less.
OK, folks, I had to get some cables and adapters to try the next steps but it's still failing. I have tried:

(new )USBDAB03 adapter attached through powered USB hub and hooked up to my existing roof antenna (needed an MCX to SMB adapter for that) and the red light comes on on the USBDAB03 dongle (power indicator, I guess?), but when I start up DAB Z it goes through its 5 attempts to connect, but fails in the usual way ("No DAB USB device").

Having tried hooking up the dongle to my Samsung S10 phone, I'm a bit reluctant to continue with that option, as the phone USB settings seem so difficult to manage.

I'm a bit stuck again. Is it time to consider a factory reset on the HU, or an update to MCU or system? Any other ideas before I start down that route? Reluctant to do that as it takes a while and drains the car battery while it's in progress.

Cheers
Iain

bigburd05

Nov 26, 2021
This is reliably showing the issue! Your head unit does not power the DAB USB adapter. That's strange because you wrote previously, that a USB memory stick is working fine. Did you for sure use the same USB port?
HI, Thanks again. Yes, I only have one USB socket wired in to my XTRONS currently, and it successfully allowed the USB memory stick to work but did not power the USBDAB03 dongle when wired directly. If I am using a powered hub, as suggested by another forum article, I see the power light on USBDAB03 dongle working ok, but still, there is no connection when starting DAB Z. Should the connection work if the power light it on, or is the hub a potential barrier to the DAB functionality/connection?

If DAB reception is poor at the time, would that show this behaviour, or is connection independent of reception?
Cheers
Iain

realzoulou

Nov 3, 2016
Greater Area Munich
Hi Iain, a powered hub provides 5V to all attached devices from its own power supply. Such USB hubs are also called "active". Without a powered hub, the 5V are supplied by the host (=HU). 5V alone does not do much, it only allows the device to be charged (of course DAB adapters cannot be charged). When 5V are present, then the host polls all the devices periodically using the data lines (D+ and D- when USB 2.0).
The DAB signal strength ("DAB reception") does not have any influence at all on the USB connection.

So... you wrote previously that a previous version of DAB-Z has worked well. Just after the update to 1.9.117, the issue started, right? Try older versions from apkpure going backwards.
I suggest trying in this order: 1.9.110, 1.8.105, 1.8.96

denization

Sep 8, 2010
i know i cannot provide a lot of information, but im curious about the overall picture. maybe someone has a clue. is a non-functioning SWC related to DAB-Z or my OS? the SWC used to work with DAB-Z until some point last year and then stopped working. dont know if its due to an OS update or app update. for other 3rd party music players the SWC still works. regards

Reactions: okij

bigburd05

Nov 26, 2021
Make sure USB Host is selected in the settings of your HU.
Hi, thanks, that sounds worth a check. How to I find the settings for "USB Host" in the HU? I checked the developer settings for USB Mode but that offers me Media Transfer Protocol (selected), Picture Transfer Protocol, RNDIS (USB Ethernet), Audio Source, MIDI and Charging. Does one of those imply USB Host, or is the setting exposed somewhere else? My HU is running Android 8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last updated: 2023-10-28

DAB-Z v2.x thread is here

This thread is discussing the (now old) DAB-Z v1.x versions...

Release notes of last v1.x release 1.9.127

If you want to become beta user, subscribe in Google Play or open this link from the device : https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.zoulou.dab

The app is available in Google Play named DAB-Z with package name "com.zoulou.dab".
    It can be installed in parallel to any original preinstalled DAB+ Player.

Get DAB-Z on Google Play

Get previous versions on Apkpure

Compatible devices:

all DAB USB dongles with VID/PID = 16C0/05DC (decimal 5824/1500) ("VOTI", "Van Ooijen Technische Informatica", "shared ID for use with libusb", "wshtyr@126.com")
    Examples (for sure not complete!)
    XTRONS USBDAB01
    Joying DAB+
    Pumpkin Y0251
    Hotaudio Dasaita DAB+
    (and dozends or hundreds more, they are all quite the same, if not equal.)
    Use this link to find out more

NOT SUPPORTED:

* Any SDR ("Software Defined Radio") devices (e.g. based on Realtek RTL2832U R820T)
    * Fulljoin adapter
    * Dension DAB+U
    * Dasaita DAB box

Frequently asked questions FAQ:

DAB-Z's expected behavior regarding Play/Pause, Mute/Unmute, Navi App announcements

Q: Does DAB-Z support fallback to FM Radio?
    A: No and it is not planned due to technical reasons.

Q: Why do some stations appear several times in the list but have all the same content?
    A: This is an annoying behavior of the broadcasting stations. DAB-Z does not lump them together to give the user the choice to pick one into the favorites list that has the best signal strength.

Q: Is it possible to add a sort of buffer to bridge short reception outages and therefore interruptions of audio, e.g. while driving through a tunnel?
    A: No. DAB is a real-time, live (but digital) broadcast (same as old-style TV and FM radio), in contrast to streaming. The broadcasted data that is lost due to missing reception cannot be recovered or re-requested later. Also, DAB cannot be read-ahead in contrast to streaming. An app therefore cannot create a buffer of "future" data in order to have data locally, which can then be used to bridge the loss of reception.

For testers ...​

... that want to actively support me and help everyone to have a better DAB-Z app:

If you encounter an issue with DAB-Z, I will maybe ask you to provide a) logcat logs or b) raw recordings.

a) logcat logs are created by pressing the logcat button in DAB-Z Settings -> Info (at the very bottom)
    A zip file is created and you will be able to choose what to do (send via Email, add to Google Drive, etc...). Get this zip file to me somehow.
    If I additionally ask you to enable "OMRI verbose logging", then follow these steps before creating the logcat as above:

1. Enable Developer Menu: tap 7x on DAB-Z Settings->Info->Version , then go back, a new menu item appeared "Developer options" at the very bottom
    2. Enable OMRI verbose logging
    3. Close DAB-Z
    4. Reopen DAB-Z
    ... reproduce the issue ...
    5. Create the logcat DAB-Z Settings -> Info (at the very bottom)

b) raw recording are created by this procedure:

raw recordings are done using this procedure:
    1. Enable Developer Menu: tap 7x on Settings->Info->Version , then go back, a new menu item appeared "Developer options" at the very bottom
    2. Enable OMRI raw recording (you don't need to activate verbose logging)
    3. Close DAB-Z (raw recording enable/disable requires a restart of DAB-Z)
    4. Reopen DAB-Z
    ... reproduce the issue ...
    6. Go to DAB-Z Settings and disable OMRI raw recording. Restart DAB-Z again.

Afterwards, files with ending .raw exist in:
    <internal memory>/Documents/DAB/rec/
    Download them all from the head unit, zip them and send to me.
    Release ZOU-DAB+171119 "Master Piece"

Release of the "Master Piece" version of the DAB+ App mod.
    ZOU-DAB+171119

Download: REMOVED

ZOU-DAB+171119-Flip-AutoHide.gif

Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to again to XDA member @syk02jcb@hotmail.com
    Credits for translation to Italian goes to china-rns.com member John Dai

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download):

New:
    - Station logos
    Station logos can be downloaded from Volkswagen for >20 countries across Europe and automatically installed to a User accessible location. More than one country can be installed. User can add own station logos in subfolder "<extStorageDir>/DAB/logos/user" in JPG or PNG format. No width/height restrictions for the logo. The app will automatically scale to fit.
    Settings allow to enable/disable showing station logos in station list and in Slide Show area. Scaling can be limited to 1x,2x,3x if needed.
    Settings list any issues in finding a matching logo for a certain station. The search is based on the station name. If no exact (substring) match can be found in the list of logo files, then a default logo is presented. The User has to fix this by renaming logo files or adding additional logo files outside(!) of the DAB app using a File Manager.
    - Layout:
    * new button icons
    * button bar moved from left to right side to gain more space for the slide show area
    * Changed the "logic" of the favorites button: Shows what will happen when pressing it, not what the current status is.
    * new "radio.png" logo. Using now a new DAB logo used in Germany (www.digitalradio.de)
    * the background boxes are not disabled by default. Can be reactivated in Settings.
    * General layout optimization for
    - 800x480 @ 320 dpi
    - 800x480 @ 240 dpi
    - 1024x600 @ 320 dpi
    - 1024x600 @ 240 dpi
    - Removed the previously added "Large SLS" activity. Replaced with an animated fade out of the station list.
    - Added an option to automatically hide the stationlist after a selectable timeout.
    - Added Audio format (MP2 or AAC) and Sample rate (44,1 or 48 kHz) to Station details. As before in the Large SLS, still accessible via "flipping" the slide show picture.
    - Added an option in Settings to move the App to background when the DAB App was started by the "USB device attached" event. Useful eg. when using certain launchers.
    - New logo in the notification bar.
    - Settings->Info shows the reason why the DAB App is running: Either started by "LAUNCHER" or "USB DEVICE ATTACHED"
    - Settings->Info shows the screen resolution and density (e.g. 1024x600 @ 160 dpi)
    - When scanning with type "update", old stations no longer received are now deleted. The favorite setting will be kept.
    - Added Italian translation. Thanks to John Dai @ china-rns.com

Changes:
    - Replaced old "Connecting..." behaviour with a completely new implementation
    - Audio recording now stored in <extStorageDir>/DAB/rec/ (instead of <extStorageDir>/dab_rec/)
    - Fixed: Channels "10N, 11N and 12N" not shown in station details
    - for developers: BroadcastIntent generation is now disabled by default. Can be reactivated in Settings.
    BroadcastIntent definition has changed w.r.t. "artist", "track" and "playing". See change documentation in BroadcastIntent-definition.txt

Note that the high pitch sound issue is not fixed in the 171119 release.

Video tutorial for station logo download from Internet:
    http://youtu.be/zVTGYbXsG7I

Video tutorial for adding own logo pictures :
    http://youtu.be/Bux3LEJoML8
    Release ZOU-DAB+180804 "Master Piece Maintenance Release 5"

Release of the "Master Piece Maintenance Release 5" version of the DAB+ App mod.

ZOU-DAB+180804

Download: http://bit.ly/2Kqp7HB
    (Please only share the bitly link with others)

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download)

- BroadcastIntent: added slsBitmap which contains currently displayed logo or DAB slideshow picture
    Goal: Allow launchers (e.g. FCC Car launcher) to display album art
    INFO: DAB App now also has a fairly complete implementation of Android's android.media.browse.MediaBrowserService interface
    This allows for using pure Android APIs to view metadata instead of using the proprietary BroadcastIntent
    - Add buttons for PREV and NEXT to Notification and use Media style notification
    - PREV/NEXT steering wheel behavior can be swapped in Settings->General
    - Fixed: Volume adjustment in Settings->Audio is lost after station change
    - Fixed: After several station scans, App completely fails to work until re-install.
    - Fixed: Duplicate entries in station list
    - Removed feature to delay the USB connection on automatic start, which was introduced with ZOU-DAB+180210
    - Removed option to avoid that DAB App is started twice from Settings->General. This is now avoided by using Android manifest launchMode=singleTask
    - Removed feature to download a country-specific station logo zip file and automatically extract it.
    Note: You can still copy an extracted folder of such station logos to /DAB/logos/ folder and after pressing "Sync" button in Settings->Station Logo the logo files will be scanned for a match between filename of a png/jpg file and the name of a station.
    Release ZOU-DAB+180618 "Master Piece Maintenance Release 4"

Release of the "Master Piece Maintenance Release 4" version of the DAB+ App mod.

ZOU-DAB+180618

Changes (see also Changes.txt from the download)

- Fixed: Adopt Station Logo download to new VW website
    - Add a button to Settings->Info to show hints picture about how to use the UI
    Release ZOU-DAB+170909

Release of my next major version of the DAB+ App mod.
    ZOU-DAB+170909
    This is not the "master piece" release yet.

There are (again) two versions of the App:
    a) the "normal" one
    b) one with no usb_device_filter.xml included, which makes Android remember already granted access of DAB+ App to the USB DAB device.
    However, Android then also starts the DAB+ App whenever it finds the USB DAB device as newly connected, which is the case when you power on the
    head unit.
    Some people don't want that the DAB+ app starts automatically when the DAB USB device is detected at startup. This is the reason why this version exists.
    Note: When running on Android >= 6, this version will most likely ask for permission to access the USB device at *every* start of the app.

Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to XDA member @syk02jcb@hotmail.com

Changes (see also the Changes.txt from the download):

New:
    - Most (not all) of the texts are now available in: English, Deutsch and Norsk bokmål
    Credits for translation to Norwegian goes to XDA member [B @syk02jcb@hotmail.com[/B]
    - Swipe to right in station list shows a delete button. On swipe left again, delete button disappears. On click on delete button an alert dialog appears to allow the user to confirm. Deletion of stations cannot be un-done. A new scan is needed to get the station back.
    - Additional info (channel and ensemble name) in station list can be deactivated via Settings->Layout
    - "Service Following" feature can be activated in Settings->General. NOTE: This is treated as "Experimental". This activates the original app functionality, which was always in the app, but was not connected to the UI. Do not blame me if you find it not working.
    - Audio recording button can be activated via Settings->General
    - The borders around the slide show picture and around the station list can be deactivated via Settings->Layout
    - A click on the slide show picture creates a large version of the picture. I call this "Large SLS".
    - Swipe left or right on "Large SLS" switches between the picture and some detailled info about the current station.
    - When starting a re-scan one can choose now between "Replace all stations" and "Add new stations"
    - The app sends out broadcast intents containing all information that you can also find on the screen.
    The definition of the intent is in file "BroadcastIntent-definition.txt"

Changes:
    - Fixed: no audio after standby when using NoKill mods.
    - Fixed: when USB connection suddenly drops, the App remains active but with no audio. My fix is to close the app.
    - Settings layout improved
    - Notification now contains station name instead of "Make DAB+ great again ..."
    - A second way to enter the settings screen is via the "Large SLS" screen
    - Optimization of memory allocations. Results in less Garbage Collector runs, which is good for overall performance.

Main.PNG Large_SLS.jpg
    ChannelDetails.PNG Credits.PNG

Videotour through the DAB+ App:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVRfX5n8eM