Data Network Speed Fix for AT&T Tilt 2 (TP2)

Search This thread

Fingaluna

Nov 14, 2009
Guelph
Does Not Work with Rogers in Canada

Tried the CAB on a Tilt2 on the Rogers 3G service in Canada.

Mobile Speed Test consistently gave ~1.4Mbit/sec prior to installing the CAB.

After intalling the CAB I am getting 0.4Mbit/sec.

This CAB not suitable for Rogers.

Hard Reset required to restore to previous speeds.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
So this is everything the cab does:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork
Dword Value Name: "SupportedFunctions" Dword Data: "4"
Dword Value Name: "SupportHSUPA" Dword Data: "1"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork\0
String Value Name: "(Default)" String: "GPRS"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork\1
String Value Name: "(Default)" String: "CSDLineType"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork\2
String Value Name: "(Default)" String: "SMSService"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork\3
String Value Name: "(Default)" String: "HSDPA"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\RIL
Dword Value Name: "DisH" DWORD Data: "0"
Dword Value Name: "EnableHSDPAIcon" DWORD Data: "1"

The only differences between the registry on my device and the changes this cab makes are as follows:

my registry didn't have the following key and string
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork\3
String Value Name: "(Default)" String: "HSDPA""

The value for "SupportedFunctions" was set to "3" on mine, (cab changed it to "4"

And under the RIL directory, my "DisH" data was set to 2, (Cab changed it to "0"

I've extracted the registry values for advanced network and Ril before i applied the cab if anyone wants to import them and restore them to undo the cabs actions.
(btw, i'm running a custom rom, so the values i've extracted and attached may vary from your stock rom or whatever rom your running and are not gauranteed to completely undo the tweaks this cab has made)

unzip the archize, copy the .reg files to your device and import them to your registry.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

Zuhalter420

Aug 4, 2008
Tampa
I ran some descriptive stats on your test results and discovered your percentages aren't correct. The average without change up/dn is incorrect, it's actually 604/316. But the problem lies in your conclusion of an 18%/20% gain in speed with changes. Because you are taking repeated samples, you can't take the averages and deduce a specific gain. Because you have widely disparate rates from different samples, you need to look at the chances of what RANGE a person's upload/download may fall in either with or without the fix, and look at the percentage improvement in that range. Although the number of samples you took are small, after running some stats I pulled 4 ranges. In repeated sampling, 95% of the samples for each of the following 4 scenarios should fall into these ranges. the ranges are determined by the mean rate for all 4 scenarios (with up/dn, without up/dn), and a standard deviation of 2s is applied. This allows, by random chance, an approximation of where 95% of all sample rates will potentially lie:

With change, upload speed:
183kpbs to 481kbps

With change, download speed:
540kpbs to 703kbps

Without change, upload speed:
152kbps to 481kbps

Without change, download speed:
541kbps to 667kbps

Notice how the upload ranges for "with" and "without" have an upper range that's capped at about 481kbps? The only improvement for with change is that you are unlikely to upload at less than 183kbps.

Did you also notice the lower cap of around 540kbps for "with" and "without" download speed? You are unlikely to ever download at less than 540kbps regardless of change, but slightly more likely to have a chance to download at greater than 667kbps.

Performance increase? Not really.

For download with change, there is only a 29% chance at any given sample that you'll gain faster speeds - the fastest it will likely be is an extra 37kbps, and that's at the upper end. More likely, the fastest you will ever see is 10 to 25kbps extra. The other 71% of the time you will see no difference in performance.

For upload with change, there is no real performance gain. All you've down is reduce the chances that you'll upload at less than 183kbps (by about 10%), and you are still capped at about 481kbps.

Without more sample data though, these are only statistically useful models, and not practical for prediction.

Last edited:

ataririder

Jan 10, 2010
I'm having trouble installing the cab. It's not being recognized in Registory Editor and Task Mananger. I'm I doing somthing wrong?

ncoig

Jan 11, 2007
Icon confusion

I thought the large "H" or "3G" icon simply showed what was "available", whereas the little "3g" above the signal bars showed what you were using.

On the original Tilt, these BOTH showed "H" after the registry tweak - this one only shows the large icon as "H" - my signal bar icon always remains at "3G".

Ideas?

-N

nsheaffer

Apr 17, 2008
Oak Grove
yeah, not so sure abotu this whole speed fix thing.

I am really interested in it now that I have unlocked and moved my Tilt 2 to tmobile which has just recently added hsdpa+ speeds.

Anyone have a Tmobile Touch Pro 2 that could show us what your Settings are for your HSDPA

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Rofl, good luck getting your Tilt 2 to run on T-Mo's 3G bands. You're stuck on EDGE, buddy.

Anyway, I tried this fix a while back and don't remember if it did anything worthwhile. I'm on a tilt 2 running NRGZ28's latest 21905 Titanium build with SPB Mobile Shell, tethered with PDANet and got the average results are about 1.8-2.1 megabits/second down and .7-.9 megabits/second up. Do y'all think this cab or the one dougie posted will make a difference? 4/4/good HSDPA saturation here.

nsheaffer

Apr 17, 2008
Oak Grove
LOL, thanks man.

Rofl, good luck getting your Tilt 2 to run on T-Mo's 3G bands. You're stuck on EDGE, buddy.

Anyway, I tried this fix a while back and don't remember if it did anything worthwhile. I'm on a tilt 2 running NRGZ28's latest 21905 Titanium build with SPB Mobile Shell, tethered with PDANet and got the average results are about 1.8-2.1 megabits/second down and .7-.9 megabits/second up. Do y'all think this cab or the one dougie posted will make a difference? 4/4/good HSDPA saturation here.

nasapunk88

Aug 9, 2008
is this just for AT&T OR GOOD FOR ALL TILT/TP2?

all it is doing is enabling "H", which is like going from E to 3G. AT&T has an unreleased "H" that is faster then 3G but isn't officially enabled from OEM.

It will drain your batter much faster ( like going from E to 3G does) and its for AT&T.

Each company has their own thing. Sprint i believe uses 4g which is same as AT&T 3g. So i dont believe it works for all companies but high chance each company has their own unreleased network also.

dimamarcel

Dec 10, 2009
Ok. I did it. Now I have tested it on a series of Tilt 2's (some from the orig October batch and some from this week).

I have pulled an avg of 1.26-1.50 Mbit/s down and 1.27-1.29 uo. This would appear to be AT&T's limit (at least here in Vegas and with the iphone traffic bogging their network down). Now it's time for us to bog the iphone users down!

If you are already getting 1.5 Mbit's avg speed then chances are you will not need this fix (however it shouldn't hurt anything none-the-less).

Note: As ALWAYS, before you play with windows registry..make sure to back it up first in case something unique goes *poof*. Also please note that this is for AT&T users and has not been tested on any other network. Although it shouldn't hurt anything, so if you wan't to give it a test please let us know the results.

Attached to this post you will find a cab I created that will make all of the adjustments to your system and registry. After that you only need to make one act to finish the process and reboot. The instructions are as follows..

1. Install the attached cab file on your AT&T Tilt 2 (TP2)
  2. After installation (and before you restart the phone), go to: start menu -> Settings -> Connections -> Advanced Network -> go to "HSDPA/HSUPA tab -> make sure "Enable HSDPA/HSUPA" is selected. Then close this window.
  3. Restart the phone by holding down the power button, shutting down and starting it back up (or through your preferred means of soft resetting it).

Test the connection/speed using your favorite tool(s) once complete.

• You should see the H icon at the top
  • The H icon should *stay* at the top (vs only working for the first few minutes)
  • You should see much higher speeds.

Although you may still be limited to around 1.5Mbit/s in both directions while AT&T's network...well..sucks, it should open your phone up to higher speeds once their network...doesn't suck (upgrades).

Random Fact: HSDPA = download speed (or "down link"), HSUPA = upload speed (or "up link")....in case anyone ever wonders.
Thank you so much!

The fix worked like magic :)