[DATA2EXT] [11/Dec] FULL BENCHMARK, V4, Improve the efficiency of IO

biliskner

Mar 10, 2006
London
I'm really surprised with this. I'm using ownhere's ROM updated with his v4 data2sd, and it works great. Not as speedy and fast as A2SD+ but it's not laggy as well (came from 2 months on MIUI then 1 day on RCMIXHD Rom, RcMIX was really really laggy = unusable). MIUI A2SD+ is still by far fastest, but this DesireHD ROM and ownhere's ROM = good stable and very usable. It gets a bit hot though, after 1 hr doing multiple tasks = 38degrees.

No file corruption yet and no random reboot. Very good and stable so far.

hendry

Feb 29, 2004
Jakarta
Checked your log.txt.
The problem from log is /mnt/asec/extdata not umount, so it can not be remount to /data. This will be fix after reboot.
May be need more log-after-reboot to location other problem.
ok, later when flashing a new version of ReflexTSenseHD i will pay attention to the log file and will let u know..
btw, does your data2extv4 support restoring from nandroid backup ?
yesterday, i backup with nandroid and restoring it.. but it cannot boot normally and stuck at the fireworks again.. what happened ?

ownhere

Jun 17, 2010
Beijing
ok, later when flashing a new version of ReflexTSenseHD i will pay attention to the log file and will let u know..
btw, does your data2extv4 support restoring from nandroid backup ?
yesterday, i backup with nandroid and restoring it.. but it cannot boot normally and stuck at the fireworks again.. what happened ?
My script dosen't support nand backup/restore.:)

vnsilva

Jul 19, 2010
Hi all

I use room MIUI 0.12.11... with data2ext the quadrant is 2703.
But after reboot all data is loss (settings, sms, call log...).

what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

ghmail2

Apr 30, 2010
Hi all

what am I doing wrong?
nothing wrong about you,it is just wrong about MIUI,orginal data2sd fits good with miui but not data2ext,you have to adjust miui script,but defrost and oxygen works great with this script

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
Why is data2ext so not supported by ppl ?
Wts wrong with ownheres v4 script that is creating so much controversy?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
The reason for the controversy is this:

If you move data to sdcard there might be lags. To reduce this there are several configurations tested. BUT:

Samsung Galaxy S has a "built in Sd-card" so they have like "data2sd" from stock. So they did almost the same stuff to improve performance ownhere does A LONG TIME AGO and what ownhere does cause issues for some users. So they started to do stress-test to grant the stability of there voodoo lagfix. Now i quote a XDA-dev from Samsung galaxy S from the "Voodoo lagfix" irc chat (what i posted is a quote of the v4 changelog):

[04:22] <melethron> supercurio: what you think about: /data/data:ext4 loopfile on ext4 device, enable journaling on ext4 device, disable journaling on ext4 loopfile, for fast and stable sqlite3 access.
[04:22] <melethron> fast yes
[04:22] <melethron> but stable?
[04:30] <supercurio> melethron, you bypass fsync -> you f#ck SQLite
[04:30] <supercurio> and journal becomes totally useless
[04:30] <supercurio> for the Nexus S 10
[04:30] <supercurio> for the Galaxy S 8
[04:30] <melethron> so this failed your bootloop test ...
[04:31] <supercurio> it's not a proper design
[04:31] <supercurio> i won't ever test this
[04:31] <supercurio> defective by design
[04:31] <supercurio> pure nonse
[04:31] <supercurio> do i continue ?
It's not that i want people to use my own script. Instead i first wanted to help ownhere to improve his script and posted my concerns in this thread. There is also another user that warned ownhere about the loop device he uses.

If he would have listened to WELL KNOWN bugs (defective by design ^^) i wouldn't have made a own script. But he didn't ....

For more info's you can read the post 136-138 in this thread here

If you don't believe me for whatever your reason might be and want to test the stability on your own do this simple test while you use ownheres v4 script:

- Reboot the phone
- As soon as the lockscreen comes up reboot again
- do this 20 times
- have fun with force closes and data loss (open all your apps to check this) because sqlite in /data/data got f***ed

Again my data2ext4 script is slower but is based on the work of those Samsung galaxy S devs and the finding of sibere that the desire unmounts /data proberly.

Last edited:

ownhere

Jun 17, 2010
Beijing
Do what you like.:)
your new script is almost same as my script V3.
I respect any person, but does not superstitious person, I see you on the SGS Devs have a paranoid superstition, ok, this is your freedom.
But I want to say is to end with this, and I do not want to say anything further on this issue.
Do you think the right thing to do, world peace.:)

If you move data to sdcard there might be lags. To reduce this there are several configurations tested. BUT:

Samsung Galaxy S has a "built in Sd-card" so they have like "data2sd" from stock. So they did almost the same stuff to improve performance ownhere does A LONG TIME AGO and what ownhere does cause issues for some users. So they started to do stress-test to grant the stability of there voodoo lagfix. Now i quote a XDA-dev from Samsung galaxy S from the "Voodoo lagfix" irc chat (what i posted is a quote of the v4 changelog):

It's not that i want people to use my own script. Instead i first wanted to help ownhere to improve his script and posted my concerns in this thread. There is also another user that warned ownhere about the loop device he uses.

If he would have listened to WELL KNOWN bugs (defective by design ^^) i wouldn't have made a own script. But he didn't ....

If you don't believe me for whatever your reason might be and want to test the stability on your own do this simple test while you use ownheres v4 script:

- Reboot the phone
- do this 20 times
- have fun with force closes and data loss (open all your apps to check this) because sqlite in /data/data got f***ed

Again my data2ext4 script is slower but is based on the work of those Samsung galaxy S devs and the finding of sibere that the desire unmounts /data proberly.

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris

- Reboot the phone
- do this 20 times

I've been thru other androphones threads and I could be wrong but I think that the safe and clean unmount of the /data partition is not part of all ROMs. HTC wisely implemented that is the Desire's rom but it could be different for other Android phones though.

I haven't tried you stresstest on my phone, but if the /data in safely unmounted at shutdown plus a forced e2fsck at boot, I'd say that I have a good chance to keep a clean /data :)

bernabap

Jul 25, 2009
:confused: You guys are driving me crazy to decide which one to use! lol :eek:

I think I will have to test all and decide my self... btw this is always the best option. :D

Last edited:

vnsilva

Jul 19, 2010
Hi all

what am I doing wrong?
nothing wrong about you,it is just wrong about MIUI,orginal data2sd fits good with miui but not data2ext,you have to adjust miui script,but defrost and oxygen works great with this script
I'm trying with oxygen, and lost data too.
I Use script V2, partitions (xxx mb Fat32, 1024mb ext4).

I'm doing something wrong!!!!!! but do not know what. :(

Last edited:

radiohitec

Feb 14, 2008
Valkenswaard
www.radiohitec.nl
I'm trying with oxygen, and lost data too.
I Use script V2, partitions (xxx mb Fat32, 1024mb ext4).

I'm doing something wrong!!!!!! but do not know what. :(
Have here the same with leedroid V3.2, works fine until you do a reboot, lost everything, strange, mayby I give a try to the V4 script...
Have anyone a idea for insert the script, or what to do, how it works ok?

Update: Have testing V4 and works good on de Leedroid V2.3, what have I done, make 3 partitions FAT32 ext4 1024MB and ext4 512MB open with WINRAR the Leedroid LeeDrOiD_V2.3_A2SD+ ROM: delete in \system\etc\init.d the 40a2sd file
Put in \system\etc\init.d the 01data2extV4.txt (rename first to 01data2ext).
Flash with recover the ROM after the flash connect in recover with Android SDK:
adb shell
mount \system
chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/01data2ext

Reboot

Done!

Last edited:

hendry

Feb 29, 2004
Jakarta
Ownhere,

i'm using 8gb microsd card. for the 1st ext4 partition is 1gb, the 2nd ext4 partition is 300mb, and the rest is for fat32.
i'm using ReflexTSenseHD 1.4.1. for the first boot it can go to startup wizard, without any boot loop as i told u last time. perhaps, neo already changed the installation script from 1.4.1 version.
i go to UOT kitchen website to make update zip file for batery bar & indicator icon. then i flash that framework-res zip file through amonra 2.0.1 recovery.
but, when restarting, it stuck again (boot loop) with the fireworks animations.
here, i attach the log file which u can learn it and tell me, what caused that problem.
log.txt <== when it boot loop
log1.txt <== after i restored /system with clockworkmod, everything normal again.

one things, everytime i go to recovery mode, and reboot, it always goes to boot loop.
maybe u have to correct that bugs in the future.
i'm happy with your script. it is so fast then data2nilfs that i ever tried..

many thanks

ownhere

Jun 17, 2010
Beijing
From log.txt, I do not see any record of boot loop. may be need more log about it.
In theory, replace the framework-res should not cause boot loop, unless the ROM symlink /system/framework to the SD card.

Ownhere,

i'm using 8gb microsd card. for the 1st ext4 partition is 1gb, the 2nd ext4 partition is 300mb, and the rest is for fat32.
i'm using ReflexTSenseHD 1.4.1. for the first boot it can go to startup wizard, without any boot loop as i told u last time. perhaps, neo already changed the installation script from 1.4.1 version.
i go to UOT kitchen website to make update zip file for batery bar & indicator icon. then i flash that framework-res zip file through amonra 2.0.1 recovery.
but, when restarting, it stuck again (boot loop) with the fireworks animations.
here, i attach the log file which u can learn it and tell me, what caused that problem.
log.txt <== when it boot loop
log1.txt <== after i restored /system with clockworkmod, everything normal again.

one things, everytime i go to recovery mode, and reboot, it always goes to boot loop.
maybe u have to correct that bugs in the future.
i'm happy with your script. it is so fast then data2nilfs that i ever tried..

many thanks

hendry

Feb 29, 2004
Jakarta
From log.txt, I do not see any record of boot loop. may be need more log about it.
In theory, replace the framework-res should not cause boot loop, unless the ROM symlink /system/framework to the SD card.
this one i give u the log when i run recovery mode and then reboot. as i told u, everytime i shutdown the device or reboot from recovery mode, it may got in boot loop. it needs reboot once more to be normal..
i hope u find it...

EDIT: in regard of flashing framework-res from UOT make the device boot loop, but if i adb push the apk file to /system/framework and reboot, it's okay... in fact, it needs 2 times reboot.1st time stucks on boot loop as i ask u to see in this log file..

Last edited:

ownhere

Jun 17, 2010
Beijing
this one i give u the log when i run recovery mode and then reboot. as i told u, everytime i shutdown the device or reboot from recovery mode, it may got in boot loop. it needs reboot once more to be normal..
i hope u find it...

EDIT: in regard of flashing framework-res from UOT make the device boot loop, but if i adb push the apk file to /system/framework and reboot, it's okay... in fact, it needs 2 times reboot.1st time stucks on boot loop as i ask u to see in this log file..
Stucks only happen after enter recovery mode?
In my phone, every time I enter recovery mode,after shutdown or reboot, the phone will be reboot twice automaticlly, the first one is quick.

boot.loop.7z is normal, I can not found error in it,too.

Maybe you can try for another recovery. I am using the ClockWorkMod.