Daydream VR

Search This thread

david.degraw54

Jan 29, 2012
New Jersey
Google recently released an update to daydream app and VR services. I don't know if it was just the activity that I was engaged in or if the updates actually helped but I just finished about a 10 min VR sesh and my phone didn't get nearly as hot as it did previously. Anyone else having similar experience?
My phone never got too hot to the point where I had to take it out of the headset or shut it down. It got pretty warm but nothing unusual. But yes, I played around yesterday for about 15 mins and my phone barely even felt warm afterwards. Could be these updates!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

norcal61

Aug 13, 2012
San Andreas
My phone never got too hot to the point where I had to take it out of the headset or shut it down. It got pretty warm but nothing unusual. But yes, I played around yesterday for about 15 mins and my phone barely even felt warm afterwards. Could be these updates!
Yea, for some reason my phone was getting hotter than heck when I first started using it for vr. Maybe has to do with the configuration of my settings and/or apps in the background. The first time I used the daydream I ended up getting the message telling me the phone was overheating. The thing was almost too hot touch.

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Yea, for some reason my phone was getting hotter than heck when I first started using it for vr. Maybe has to do with the configuration of my settings and/or apps in the background. The first time I used the daydream I ended up getting the message telling me the phone was overheating. The thing was almost too hot touch.
I too was one receiving the overheat message but I have yet to receive an update to Daydream VR. I got the overheating message twice and have yet to use my VR since. It freaked me out and my device was too hot to handle in just 30 minutes of use. I hope I get an update that fixes this as I wont even use it with the heat I experienced.

dvst8

Nov 6, 2010
Still waiting on my code from the Google Store. Preordered on Oct 4, got the email saying code would be on the way on Nov 16, still nothing...

AllusionPDX

Jan 10, 2012
Pro's of daydream:
Its fun as **** and well worth the money.

Cons of daydream:
Needs 4k Phones, the pixels are noticeable.
Needs higher refresh rate. On a white background, ghosting is very noticeable.
Needs more apps.

Overall:
If you don't have a vive, get it. If you do...why are you here anyways?

bama17

Mar 24, 2012
I pre ordered my XL on 10/18 from Verizon, only because I could receive it on 10/20. I've been working 14-15 hr days for the last 4 months, so I was lazy and just sent my documentation in and ordered mine last Friday. It got approved in only 4 days, a few days ago, and says I'll have it within 2 weeks. Not liking the thermal issues I'm seeing everyone having tho :mad:

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Burnt my index finger on the power button. Frickin hotter than a Samsung Note 7 on fire.

LoL...good one! I'm hoping by some miracle it won't try to melt my device like it's apparently doing many others.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
I cant seem to pair my remote, it only works while plugged in USB charger. The LED light also never lights up. I charged it for several hours from regular USB outlet

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
I cant seem to pair my remote, it only works while plugged in USB charger. The LED light also never lights up. I charged it for several hours from regular USB outlet
Sounds like you're remote battery is bad. While charging the light should slowly pule and when charge it should remain solid. Also, while pairing it should pulse and when low you'll get pulses as well. Mine seems to charge ok but behaves erratic after just 5-10 short minutes of use like the battery is dying but when I plug it in the light stays solid like it's charged. I think maybe these remotes are garbage.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Sounds like you're remote battery is bad. While charging the light should slowly pule and when charge it should remain solid. Also, while pairing it should pulse and when low you'll get pulses as well. Mine seems to charge ok but behaves erratic after just 5-10 short minutes of use like the battery is dying but when I plug it in the light stays solid like it's charged. I think maybe these remotes are garbage.

Just ordered a replacement. This one does seem to be DOA

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Just ordered a replacement. This one does seem to be DOA
That sucks. I think mine's bad also. I get charging lights and whatnot but it only lasts 10 minutes before the erratic behavior begins and wont stop until I plug it in. Are you buying a new one or are they sending a replacement?

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008

That sucks. I think mine's bad also. I get charging lights and whatnot but it only lasts 10 minutes before the erratic behavior begins and wont stop until I plug it in. Are you buying a new one or are they sending a replacement?

They are sending a replacement but they put hold on your CC

Toaplan

Nov 2, 2006
The VR experience is cool, but I couldn't last long enough to get through the setup process and install some VR apps.

I got mine today. Just like you, after using it for about a half hour, "the metal was almost too hot to hold onto", so much so that I was worried about my new Pixel XL phone that I can barely afford. I won't be using it again either, until I hear some news about fixes for the heat issue.

How could this pass QA when there are only and exactly 2 phone models that I know of (Pixel and Pixel XL) that even support the headset?
Google recently released an update to daydream app and VR services. I don't know if it was just the activity that I was engaged in or if the updates actually helped but I just finished about a 10 min VR sesh and my phone didn't get nearly as hot as it did previously. Anyone else having similar experience?
I'm no longer having the heat problem like I was earlier. The problem went away right around the time I installed the updates that norcal was talking about. It still gets hot, which I expect, but not enough to burn your skin like it was doing. I'm glad this got fixed. I hope that the development picks up so we can have more apps. I'm not expecting this to be a huge VR platform, but I would like more apps.

norcal61

Aug 13, 2012
San Andreas
I'm no longer having the heat problem like I was earlier. The problem went away right around the time I installed the updates that norcal was talking about. It still gets hot, which I expect, but not enough to burn your skin like it was doing. I'm glad this got fixed. I hope that the development picks up so we can have more apps. I'm not expecting this to be a huge VR platform, but I would like more apps.
Yea, it's pretty limited at the moment. I blew through just about everything that's available on the play store for daydream within the first few days of having the headset. I imagine that they'll eventually catch up to or possibly surpass the app availability of gear vr for Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree.

I think VR has a whole is grossly overrated anyway, but there is nothing at all special about the Daydream. The content is almost non existent as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

What?! Maybe we're not seeing things exactly the same, but even on my lower end Pixel, it doesn't look near as bad as other headsets. It's a neat addition to a phone experience and I for one am glad that I got mine for free. If you were expecting PS4 Pro graphics from a mobile device, then you need your brain checked. For what this experience is meant to provide, it's extremely competent.
    Pre ordered mine in the UK from Carphonewarehouse. It's amazing! Everything from the 360 YouTube videos, go karting game to viewing old panoramic photos I took years ago are awesome! Caution though ... The phone gets very hot! Up until now, phone has always run cool, today was the first time it got pretty hot after about 20 minutes on daydream.

Hopefully it doesn't blow up :p

Edit: sorry came from a Note 7 RIP **whispers** i miss you wherever you are.
    I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

Me neither. Im still in preorder status

Sent from my Huawei Honor 5x using Tapatalk