• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Daydream VR

Search This thread

csick

Apr 29, 2011
West Warwick
My Verizon one came last night.
On Thurs, I had gotten another email that it would be coming within 5-7 days, but it came 2 days later.
I pre-ordered my phone through Verizon the first day it was available, so I must have gotten into the first batch of shipments.

cedargreen

Feb 26, 2016
north muskegon
Ordered 2 XL on launch day from Google play store, no project Fi. Estimated delivery for both phones was 11/23 but the arrived 11/8. Received email that soon I would get VR "code" but nothing yet. Sure hope I get 2 codes for 2 phones.

jjayzx

Apr 14, 2011
Mine just came in, the site never said it was shipped or anything. I only had an email of it getting ready or something like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20161119_160641.jpg
    IMG_20161119_160641.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 180

awareunlikeu

Jun 9, 2010
I just received my Daydream VR today and the experience is pretty FN awesome for what it is! especially being an HTC Vive user. I can say that it would be an awesome thing for either people that can't afford a thousand + dollars gaming machine and $800 headset, or peeps that still believe that virtual reality is a gimmick and want to try it out on a cheaper capacity first..

However within 15 minutes of having it on the pixel XL heated up to the point where it told me that I needed to take it out of the headset and it was hot to the touch I'll do some more testing to give you some exact thermal numbers, but it is very concerning and very disappointing I'm hoping with root access we can tweak a little bit and whenever the VR headset is detected it throttles some cpu/GPS settings down to where it does not heat up like that and ruin the experience altogether!

The headset itself is very well made and the lightest headset I've ever tried on. I hope they bring that Google Earth VR to it, because it is amazing on the Vive! but like I said if they don't fix this thermal issue or the community here at XDA can't fix it for them, this is wasted Tech at least with the pixels!

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

I just returned my pixel and vr.. Phone ran super hot in the daydream headset. I can't justify paying so much for a phone that cooks during VR. Camera with hardware issue. I realize this is Google's first release of a pixel with daydream but not good. Besides the heat you have to strap it so tight to your head. It does have some positives, which are the remote and clarity. The remote needed to be centered often but still a very sweet add-on versus gear vr. I'm gunna hold out for the next version.
I'm keeping my pixel XL because it is the smoothest running device I've ever put my hands on and the best battery life I've ever experienced on a mobile device. If it wasn't for those two things I would have sent mine back as well. I just received my daydream headset today and experience the same heat issue as you and I've seen it in other forms as well. Google better fix this somehow or hopefully the Geniuses here at XDA can do it for them? We shall see. Disappointing none-the-less

justin483

Mar 8, 2016
Just got mine yesterday. Glad I didn't have to pay for this because it completely sucks. Graphics are horrible, everything is blurry and the phone heats up quickly. This was one of the main reasons I got this phone. Should of know this was going to be crap.

Reactions: xxfwmxx

ikarma

Mar 16, 2005
Can anyone who go their daydream from Verizon tell me where it was shipped from? I am getting something from MILWAUKEE, WI and I was wondering if that could be it.

csick

Apr 29, 2011
West Warwick
I've used my Daydream VR twice now, both times were for around 20 minutes I think, and it got pretty warm but I never got the overheating warning.
I've been taking it out of the case before I put it in the headset and putting the brightness around 30% (which is what I normally leave the phone at).

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Just got mine yesterday. Glad I didn't have to pay for this because it completely sucks. Graphics are horrible, everything is blurry and the phone heats up quickly. This was one of the main reasons I got this phone. Should of know this was going to be crap.
I agree.

I think VR has a whole is grossly overrated anyway, but there is nothing at all special about the Daydream. The content is almost non existent as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
I agree.

I think VR has a whole is grossly overrated anyway, but there is nothing at all special about the Daydream. The content is almost non existent as well.

What?! Maybe we're not seeing things exactly the same, but even on my lower end Pixel, it doesn't look near as bad as other headsets. It's a neat addition to a phone experience and I for one am glad that I got mine for free. If you were expecting PS4 Pro graphics from a mobile device, then you need your brain checked. For what this experience is meant to provide, it's extremely competent.

jjayzx

Apr 14, 2011
Can anyone who go their daydream from Verizon tell me where it was shipped from? I am getting something from MILWAUKEE, WI and I was wondering if that could be it.

That's where mine came from. I saw it on my USPS but didn't know what it was and my wife's aunt has been shipping stuff lately directly from wherever she's buying stuff for kids, so I assumed it was that.

Xt51

Mar 10, 2013
What?! Maybe we're not seeing things exactly the same, but even on my lower end Pixel, it doesn't look near as bad as other headsets. It's a neat addition to a phone experience and I for one am glad that I got mine for free. If you were expecting PS4 Pro graphics from a mobile device, then you need your brain checked. For what this experience is meant to provide, it's extremely competent.

I agree with you 100%. The vr to me actually has very good graphics. Especially for a phone. And it over heats because it requires a lot from the phone. I doubt they can fix this, or maybe they can who knows. Who cares. I'm super happy with both the phone and headset. Plus the galaxy s7 got this hot while using their headset as well so no difference to me. So for this that believe this was suppose to be super HD console graphics, then yeah..please get your head checked

Reactions: IIIPowerIII

Psychteach1

Dec 12, 2014

Content is negligible but that will improve. Had a gear vr and found that it was too game oriented for me. Hopefully this will be different; but between the two, I believe that, controller aside, gear is better.

Charlie

Gizmoe

Sep 6, 2011
Spokane Valley
Content is negligible but that will improve. Had a gear vr and found that it was too game oriented for me. Hopefully this will be different; but between the two, I believe that, controller aside, gear is better.

Charlie

I agree solely because I can't get the daydream flush against my face. The Samsung VR fit really well but was always blurry. I didn't expect a whole lot though. My PC is powerful enough for oculus, but I can't see getting that invested into any VR at this point in time. I'm sure the future of VR will be great. We are in the stone age right now.

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Got my Daydream VR yesterday and used it for just under one hour. My device actually got too hot to handle and upon viewing my last 360° video in youtube VR I got an over heating message and my device powered off. I immediately removed it from the headset and the metal was almost too hot to hold onto. Thank god this pile of junk was free. No way would I pay for something that puts my $900 Pixel XL at risk of permanent failure. I know an hour of constant viewing seems a bit much but it really isn't all things considering. I wont be using this thing and will likely sell it for around $30 here very soon. Otherwise it will just spend time in a droor. I enjoyed the viewing experience but it wasn't worth the risk of damaging the internal components of my device. Maybe Google will come up with some sort of usb c fan we can plug in while we use the headset. Until then this thing will get zero use from me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree.

Pre ordered mine in the UK from Carphonewarehouse. It's amazing! Everything from the 360 YouTube videos, go karting game to viewing old panoramic photos I took years ago are awesome! Caution though ... The phone gets very hot! Up until now, phone has always run cool, today was the first time it got pretty hot after about 20 minutes on daydream.

Hopefully it doesn't blow up :p

Edit: sorry came from a Note 7 RIP **whispers** i miss you wherever you are.
    Google recently released an update to daydream app and VR services. I don't know if it was just the activity that I was engaged in or if the updates actually helped but I just finished about a 10 min VR sesh and my phone didn't get nearly as hot as it did previously. Anyone else having similar experience?
    I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Me neither. Im still in preorder status

Sent from my Huawei Honor 5x using Tapatalk