• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Daydream VR

Search This thread

Gizmoe

Sep 6, 2011
Spokane Valley
Got the Verizon one today via USPS. Never got an email that it shipped. Only one almost 2 weeks ago saying they will ship it soon. Still says getting order ready for the mail on rebate status site. So the rebate website is useless basically lol.

Update: Got an email 10 min after writing this saying it shipped. What a dumb process :eek:

Last edited:

Toaplan

Nov 2, 2006
Got my Daydream VR yesterday and used it for just under one hour. My device actually got too hot to handle and upon viewing my last 360 video in youtube VR I got an over heating message and my device powered off. I immediately removed it from the headset and the metal was almost too hot to hold onto. Thank god this pile of junk was free. No way would I pay for something that puts my $900 Pixel XL at risk of permanent failure. I know an hour of constant viewing seems a bit much but it really isn't all things considering. I wont be using this thing and will likely sell it for around $30 here very soon. Otherwise it will just spend time in a droor. I enjoyed the viewing experience but it wasn't worth the risk of damaging the internal components of my device. Maybe Google will come up with some sort of usb c fan we can plug in while we use the headset. Until then this thing will get zero use from me.
The VR experience is cool, but I couldn't last long enough to get through the setup process and install some VR apps.

I got mine today. Just like you, after using it for about a half hour, "the metal was almost too hot to hold onto", so much so that I was worried about my new Pixel XL phone that I can barely afford. I won't be using it again either, until I hear some news about fixes for the heat issue.

How could this pass QA when there are only and exactly 2 phone models that I know of (Pixel and Pixel XL) that even support the headset?

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Let my son play the Daydream for an hour almost it was hot but not burning hot omg need ovenmits. Just hot damn millennials...
Well then you're lucky because mine gets "oven mitts hot"! I even tried again today and it was so hot I shut it right off. The 2nd time I used it I got an overheat message and the device shut itself off. If the device gets hot enough to turn it's own self off, I'd say that's way too hot. Like the poster before you said. How did this make it passed any type of testing if it gets the phone hot enough to shutoff? Play it long enough and you'll see the phone shut itself down.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
What?! Maybe we're not seeing things exactly the same, but even on my lower end Pixel, it doesn't look near as bad as other headsets. It's a neat addition to a phone experience and I for one am glad that I got mine for free. If you were expecting PS4 Pro graphics from a mobile device, then you need your brain checked. For what this experience is meant to provide, it's extremely competent.
Calm down. I'm glad you like it, I don't.

That's the beauty of having our own opinion. Run along now..

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
Yes Daydream VR is useless.
Even assuming you have it handy when you want to use it the fact the device overheats in 15 - 20 minutes means you can not do anything.

Reactions: schwem

IIIPowerIII

Aug 13, 2011
Canada
Let my son play the Daydream for an hour almost it was hot but not burning hot omg need ovenmits. Just hot damn millennials...
Same here.

So far I've been playing with it for about 5 hours since I got it.

Each time was about an hour session, I never got that overheat message. It's hot but not hotter than my OP2 while in any normal game.

I find it cooler since I installed that rhino bumper, I don't know if it give it a better air circulation in the daydream.

jjayzx

Apr 14, 2011
Verizon sent me the shipping email last night and it had no info, must be cause I already had it for days already, idiots.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
It's cool, my phone is getting somehow hot but not to the degree that some of the guys are describing...

It's like you are playing a heavy graphics game and that's it!
I got the overheating message today but didn't see it yesterday though.

But it said remove for better performance. I'm not sure what can be done to minimize heat. Pixel might run cooler just because it runs dual 1080p instead of 1440p video.

Bloodgod

Nov 7, 2007
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Verizon just updated my status to Shipped and said allow up to 10 days to receive it.

I just got that status and email yesterday afternoon but no package tracking number like they said it would in the email.

Edit: to those of you that got your daydream VR have you tried to watch videos/movies on it? If yes what is your opinion on it? I know it's more of an interactive device but I mean the VR ready videos. For example YouTube videos with the cardboard icon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
I just got that status and email yesterday afternoon but no package tracking number like they said it would in the email.

Edit: to those of you that got your daydream VR have you tried to watch videos/movies on it? If yes what is your opinion on it? I know it's more of an interactive device but I mean the VR ready videos. For example YouTube videos with the cardboard icon.
I've watched a few and although they do make it seem as though you're there the quality of the video's are kind of poor. Well, certain videos anyways. Everything just seems very washed out. It's no big deal but it bothers me a bit but I do understand the VR just works by magnifying your screen so you can see all the dots in the screen very well.

Reactions: Bloodgod

norcal61

Aug 13, 2012
San Andreas
Google recently released an update to daydream app and VR services. I don't know if it was just the activity that I was engaged in or if the updates actually helped but I just finished about a 10 min VR sesh and my phone didn't get nearly as hot as it did previously. Anyone else having similar experience?

Reactions: Toaplan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree.

I think VR has a whole is grossly overrated anyway, but there is nothing at all special about the Daydream. The content is almost non existent as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

What?! Maybe we're not seeing things exactly the same, but even on my lower end Pixel, it doesn't look near as bad as other headsets. It's a neat addition to a phone experience and I for one am glad that I got mine for free. If you were expecting PS4 Pro graphics from a mobile device, then you need your brain checked. For what this experience is meant to provide, it's extremely competent.
    Pre ordered mine in the UK from Carphonewarehouse. It's amazing! Everything from the 360 YouTube videos, go karting game to viewing old panoramic photos I took years ago are awesome! Caution though ... The phone gets very hot! Up until now, phone has always run cool, today was the first time it got pretty hot after about 20 minutes on daydream.

Hopefully it doesn't blow up :p

Edit: sorry came from a Note 7 RIP **whispers** i miss you wherever you are.
    Google recently released an update to daydream app and VR services. I don't know if it was just the activity that I was engaged in or if the updates actually helped but I just finished about a 10 min VR sesh and my phone didn't get nearly as hot as it did previously. Anyone else having similar experience?
    I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I haven't heard anything from the Google store yet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Me neither. Im still in preorder status

Sent from my Huawei Honor 5x using Tapatalk