Daydream VR?

Search This thread

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
Got my Daydream VR today, man phone got so hot it scared me silly.
It was so hot, I turned it off and place it under a desktop fan.

The merge VR that I bought for $17.00 at a pawn shop, heats up the phone but nothing like the Google daydream does.
This needs to be addressed by Google asap.
Although the phone warns you on screen it is overheating. Eventually we will see failures related to thermal stress.

mrich137

Nov 8, 2010
Chicago
Just curious, where are you located, and how did you order the headset? I'm in Chicago, and I submitted my rebate to receive the headset through VZW on 10/20. I got confirmation that my rebate was approved on 10/30, but the rebate site didn't have any details other than that it was accepted and I should receive the rebate within the next 30 days; no tracking # for shipping, or even confirmation on where my order is.

I'm curious for the people who are receiving their Daydream View if they got it through the Play Store rebate, VZW rebate, or if they bought the headset from the Play Store directly.

csick

Apr 29, 2011
West Warwick
Got my Daydream VR today, man phone got so hot it scared me silly.
It was so hot, I turned it off and place it under a desktop fan.

The merge VR that I bought for $17.00 at a pawn shop, heats up the phone but nothing like the Google daydream does.
This needs to be addressed by Google asap.
Although the phone warns you on screen it is overheating. Eventually we will see failures related to thermal stress.

Do you have your Pixel in a case inside the headset? Are you charging it while using the headset? Both can contribute to the phone heating up.

humdrum2009

Oct 3, 2010
No,its not charging just trying apps out.
When I googled it I found several post about the heat issue.
It gets hot enough to warm your hands in freezing weather.
What app can I use, to record temperature while I'm using the headset?

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Considering the stress testing results of the phone's thermal efficiency I find this really surprising.
I'm not too surprised. You're putting the phone in a fabric cover with little air circulation and putting it under a heavy load. The fabric will act as an insulator just like your clothes do, and the heavy load will generate heat.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Nov 2, 2016
Well I'm sure they weren't testing these phones with VR in commercial coolers and calling it A-OK. If that's the case VR is an utterly useless gimmick.

Only reason I'd use it is to watch movies with a cinema like experience which I imagine would be really cool. Outside of that I won't use it anyhow.

Belimawr

Aug 26, 2016
they were showing it off on the BBC and one of their comments said it saved you money as it heated your room while using it. so it does seem they are getting hot in it, will be interesting to hear from google on it.

Reactions: humdrum2009

humdrum2009

Oct 3, 2010
they were showing it off on the BBC and one of their comments said it saved you money as it heated your room while using it. so it does seem they are getting hot in it, will be interesting to hear from google on it.
Lol,, they are right this thing is warm.
Has to get at least 104 degrees minimum

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
It gets very hot but I haven't seen a overheat message. I used it the first time in a OtterBox commuter and obviously couldn't tell how hot it was but no overheat message.

I later read about the heat issues so started taking the case off to help with cooling. As far as the above mentioned fabric acting as insulation.... The phone sits in plastic with little bumpers that touch the phone so there is a little air gap all around the phone.

You want to see a hot phone? Pop a 6p in the daydream and give it a go for a couple minutes, haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

|oLo|

I've tried just holding the Pixel XL against the VR Headset and leaving the flap down.
Seems to keep temperature down better.
Watched about 5 to 6 movie trailers in 4K and 360.
Ended up on a phone call after about 30 min of use. Phone was only warm to the touch.

First time using daydream and I got the warning message after about 20 minutes (flap up)

Anyone else tried running it with the back of phone completely exposed? (pretty sure no one wants to hold their phone up for extended periods of time :rolleyes:)

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
Well with my headset I got it 3 days ago and when I first got it I used it for periods of about 20 to 30 mins mostly at the time messing around getting used to it. I noticed my pixel get worm and I figured that must be because I was using multiple apps including games(games are kinda what I figured caused the heat) but I was wrong. Tonight I noticed googles deal on movies rentals for $1 for black Friday so I figured why not try using it with my headset. I got 53 mins into my movie and a box popped up on my screen saying something about the heat and it would need to lower performance. It's kind of an issue when you can't even watch a movie with out it having heat issues.

ingeras

Nov 3, 2011
KAIN
hello
i am trying to rung the daydream kit on another phone, but it prompts me to update the google vr services (and i can't do it because
the playstore says : incompatible phone)
could one of you check what daydream & google vr service version is installed on your pixel please ?
thank you

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
hello
i am trying to rung the daydream kit on another phone, but it prompts me to update the google vr services (and i can't do it because
the playstore says : incompatible phone)
could one of you check what daydream & google vr service version is installed on your pixel please ?
thank you
Pretty sure Google has to whitelist the phone somewhere.

See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161125-113438.png
    Screenshot_20161125-113438.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20161125-113448.png
    Screenshot_20161125-113448.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 100

ingeras

Nov 3, 2011
KAIN
i edited the build to make it look like a pixel, but it's not enough
someone said that qualcom vr sdk is used in some library, not sure if it's true
but if that's the case you need a qualcom 64b cpu (snapdragon 8xx)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.