• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Dead Devices After using DRM fixes!!

Search This thread

avi312singh

Aug 14, 2013
As said in the title... my insurance company has given me several different devices after they keep dying during charge.. I have had several different G1841's and they all seem to die during charge a few days after from applying the DRM fixes and do not turn back on again at all... Has anyone else experienced this issue yet??

I applied all the OTA updates through Sony's official software update then I unlocked the bootloader so I do not believe I am doing anything wrong.. It's just that the devices keep dying every time I obtain root access!! Not sure what to do as this is the 4th time it has happened (happened just today after receiving another device only a few days ago, my insurance company will start to think something is up now...)

saved-j

Mar 13, 2015
Sanya
Did you uninstall the Update Center? Installing OTA updates on an unlocked Bootloader is what bricks devices.
Also, did you try connecting the phone to a PC in flashmode?

avi312singh

Aug 14, 2013
Did you uninstall the Update Center? Installing OTA updates on an unlocked Bootloader is what bricks devices.
Also, did you try connecting the phone to a PC in flashmode?

Yeah didn't do any updating after DRM fix, flashmode fastboot nothing works... Happened on many different devices now - maybe problem with UK version?

YasuHamed

Dec 17, 2013
Yeah didn't do any updating after DRM fix, flashmode fastboot nothing works... Happened on many different devices now - maybe problem with UK version?
seems like the modded kernel is not for your device and there is conflict!
how did you obtain root? which kernel you used? who provided that kernel ?

Didgesteve

Nov 24, 2011
Truro

I don't believe that there's loads of duff Sony devices out there that die as soon as you unlock them. What's more likely is that as mentioned above, you're flashing the wrong firmware/kernel/image for your model, bricking it in the process.
Not sure how you can keep blaming the phone after four attempts. Perhaps you need to review your method before the insurance company refuse to replace the next one?

avi312singh

Aug 14, 2013
seems like the modded kernel is not for your device and there is conflict!
how did you obtain root? which kernel you used? who provided that kernel ?

I've had about 5 different XZP's... 4 of them were storm's and one of them were janjan, all of them went in the same way - complete power off whilst charging and dead after completely.

I am going to use the new stock kernel for the DRM fix by shoey - hopefully that is alright as I am getting a different XZP back this week

I don't believe that there's loads of duff Sony devices out there that die as soon as you unlock them. What's more likely is that as mentioned above, you're flashing the wrong firmware/kernel/image for your model, bricking it in the process.
Not sure how you can keep blaming the phone after four attempts. Perhaps you need to review your method before the insurance company refuse to replace the next one?

Lol not really, I use xperifirm to download and flash the fw (customised UK- maple), all the kernels etc are taken from this forum - not sure how I can go wrong with flashing the wrong zips etc (I am a computer scientist myself :) )

However, I do believe there is something wrong with the modified kernels for UK devices, maybe wrong charge current rate etc. I don't know but these problems did not happen when I was on stock firmware

7727f89b17f0cfcb860d45c88105bfbe.png

Last edited:

sToRm//

Jun 24, 2017
Munich
I've had about 5 different XZP's... 4 of them were storm's and one of them were janjan, all of them went in the same way - complete power off whilst charging and dead after completely.

I am going to use the new stock kernel for the DRM fix by shoey - hopefully that is alright as I am getting a different XZP back this week

Lol not really, I use xperifirm to download and flash the fw (customised UK- maple), all the kernels etc are taken from this forum - not sure how I can go wrong with flashing the wrong zips etc (I am a computer scientist myself :) )

However, I do believe there is something wrong with the modified kernels for UK devices, maybe wrong charge current rate etc. I don't know but these problems did not happen when I was on stock firmware

I can not imagine a connection between your problem and XperiFIX. At least if you have the software (as of version 2.0) it can not be the kernel. Because current versions of XperiFIX do not use prepared kernels (ramdisks) anymore. The stock ramdisk is modified during the process and this happens directly in the device. The kernel itself is not changed, but the required lines / files are added to the ramdisk. So... With XperiFIX you always have the stock kernel.

What I could imagine is that you used the old zips. However, I strongly advise against using them. Sony is constantly working on the firmware and it is quite possible that there are also changes to the relevant system files between the firmware versions. And since the modifications to the DRM issue are very sensitive, the device could be damaged if you put outdated hacks.

But to generally address your problem:
So you had several devices and all rooted. Did you try with a device and what happens if you do not (root / fix)? Maybe you use the same charger all the time and the cable has a defect or something in the direction. Maybe you also use a certain app that has a bug. Sounds crazy, but mostly it's little things that make life difficult.

avi312singh

Aug 14, 2013
I can not imagine a connection between your problem and XperiFIX. At least if you have the software (as of version 2.0) it can not be the kernel. Because current versions of XperiFIX do not use prepared kernels (ramdisks) anymore. The stock ramdisk is modified during the process and this happens directly in the device. The kernel itself is not changed, but the required lines / files are added to the ramdisk. So... With XperiFIX you always have the stock kernel.

What I could imagine is that you used the old zips. However, I strongly advise against using them. Sony is constantly working on the firmware and it is quite possible that there are also changes to the relevant system files between the firmware versions. And since the modifications to the DRM issue are very sensitive, the device could be damaged if you put outdated hacks.

But to generally address your problem:
So you had several devices and all rooted. Did you try with a device and what happens if you do not (root / fix)? Maybe you use the same charger all the time and the cable has a defect or something in the direction. Maybe you also use a certain app that has a bug. Sounds crazy, but mostly it's little things that make life difficult.

I believe I used the zips from your 2.0 software.. I sent you a donation through PayPal when you released this, do I get the software or some sort of discount? Student life has hit me hard this year :(

Well I am getting a completely different device tommorow and will hopefully be able to use your 3.0 fix on it... With regards to the charger, I will use a new wall charger - hopefully can order a new official one from amazon when it arrives and not charge it till then

Before unlocking the bootloader and applying the DRM fixes I experienced no problems such as dead devices.. Let's hope the sixth device is ok!

avi312singh

Aug 14, 2013
Update: the culprit of this was the battery charge limit application which requires root privileges and is found on the Google Play store.

I'm not going to link in here but there seems to be a conflict with either the device., rom I don't know - but yeah just making people aware of this