• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Dead pixels in camera sensor

Search This thread

ady_seray

Jul 19, 2012
Manchester
I've witnessed some black dots in my pictures and videos recently. I thought the camera lens was dirty so I wiped it.

But they haven't gone away. I've read some stuff that digital camera sensors sometimes need to 're-calibrate' (sine cannon cameras have a dedicated calibrate function to resolve those " dead pixels")

What do you suggest I do?

uploadfromtaptalk1370453827464.jpg

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Last edited by a moderator:

iDroid8

Dec 18, 2012
London
Now that's pretty odd. Hmm, maybe its nothing. Try this, if you are running on an old firmware, install the latest from the update centre; if you already are using the latest firmware try resetting it; if not just the settings but with the data being wiped as well.

Reactions: Michealtbh

lpchaz

Aug 20, 2012
I have the same problem. It showed up just a few minutes ago :'(. I don't know what to do...

Edit: I restored an old backup and it still there. It is the ****ing sensor...

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Actually I'm sure they're hot pixels. And they move if camera stabilisation is on during videos.

It's like you said. I turn video mode on and it moves... Any sugestion?

Last edited:

kannanX10

May 6, 2010
Coimbatore-TN
I've witnessed some black dots in my pictures and videos recently. I thought the camera lens was dirty so I wiped it.

But they haven't gone away. I've read some stuff that digital camera sensors sometimes need to 're-calibrate' (sine cannon cameras have a dedicated calibrate function to resolve those " dead pixels")

What do you suggest I do?

View attachment 2019654

I have the same problem. It showed up just a few minutes ago :'(. I don't know what to do...

Edit: I restored an old backup and it still there. It is the ****ing sensor...

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

It's like you said. I turn video mode on and it moves... Any sugestion?

I had exactly the same issue after droping it(not more than a meter) but i went for replacement...........got a new one bcos it didnt had any scratches to show its dropped/physically damaged......

silversun92

Mar 27, 2012
I also had this problem in the camera, 1 big black dot and it moves around when I change to video camera mode. So I exchanged for a new one without any problem (and luckily with better/cooler screen):D.

to OP: I thinks there's no way to solve this, you better exchange it. I did tried to restore it, flash the firmware but the dot still persisted. AFAIK, this problem will get worsen as the black dots might increase in the next few days

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderX303

cedou97yon

Mar 28, 2013
hopefully you will get replaced. If they repair it (replace the camera module), there's no guarantee about the water-proof feature anymore:rolleyes:

i can confirm that,
mine had the same problem, black dots on all my pictures.
I send it to be repaired and now it came back with a new sensor, but it is not waterproof anymore, so i will send it again.
By the way all my picture with flash just give me a white picture!
great sony...

ady_seray

Jul 19, 2012
Manchester
Now that's pretty odd. Hmm, maybe its nothing. Try this, if you are running on an old firmware, install the latest from the update centre; if you already are using the latest firmware try resetting it; if not just the settings but with the data being wiped as well.

I'm already on the latest firmware. I'm going to try and reset it and/or wipe it. I'll let you know how it worked. Cheers.

Haldi4803

Oct 14, 2010
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Xperia XZ2
Oh... same problem here! (also moves with image stabilizer in video mode)

DSC_0317.jpg

i wonder if i can bring my XZ back and get a reduction on the honami in a few months ^^

btw: kinda sure they increased! you see 1 black points! 2 top right and one left bottom. Only had the top right before.
dsc000001.jpg

P.S unlocked bootloader and custom kernel, what do you think ? If i reflash stock and relock bootloader they figure that out?

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
That's why i'm afraid of sending mine to repairs . They could just say it was sealed whell and then if you get water damage because they didn't do it the proper way, they could just blame me ( i live in a country where this stuff actually happens )

cedou97yon

Mar 28, 2013
Aren't they supposed to make it waterproof again after opening it?

How can you tell that it's not waterproof anymore?

It's a long story but to make it short,
when i got it back it was full of dust, to clean it i decided to wash it with some tap water... bad idea ..
The phone reboot some kind of "safe mode" and was not responding well for 2 days, volume button was not responding well and launching camera app made it reboot also for 2 days.
I send it back yesterday so i will let you know what happened.

Attachments

• DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 835
  • DSC_0271.jpg
    DSC_0271.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has become quite common. Mine is currently in repair for this issue. The solution I've seen is that they replace the camera sensor, and some shielding inside the device. There is a whole thread about it, with images on the Sony Support Forum.

From what I have gleaned off of the interweb is that some sort of software fault has caused "pixels" in the CCD to die. It's NOT dust under the lens, why? Because the camera would never be able to focus on dust at that focal-range, it could be "dust" on the sensor itself, but judging by the similarities, and the fact that this is happening to a lot of people all at the same time, it's more likely a fault caused in software that has caused damage, or a systematic fault with the hardware.

Either way it's really weird, one day I'm taking pictures, and everything is fine, then next time I went to take a picture, I've got these black specs on all my images.
    [SOLVED]!!!!
    I dropped my phone 15 mins ago and noticed 5 dots.
    then figured if they are dead pixels(!) how they made just by drop. Tried to bang it to table slowly and 2 of the spots disappeared and one changed it's location little bit:) (thats a strange behaviour for dead pixels!!. Put it in it's leather case and hit harder for 20 times and all the dots are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dust, Dead Pixel, Bad circuit contacts or anything that thing is, one thing for sure; it is not irreversible.

just remember:
    1- for preventing any scratch or bump to it hit your phone while protected by leather or plastic case
    2- try to hit it in any direction that works best. try sideways , face down, face up. just check if it gets worse or better. mine gets worse if it hits face down and improves when i hit it face up!!
    3- start softly, if not works try harder but not too much force. (don't worry IP 57 is helping you!!)
    4- do it at your risk. if you have a warranty and sony center is around you, I strongly recommended you to use your warranty. unfortunately in my country sony service is not available.
    I also had this problem in the camera, 1 big black dot and it moves around when I change to video camera mode. So I exchanged for a new one without any problem (and luckily with better/cooler screen):D.

to OP: I thinks there's no way to solve this, you better exchange it. I did tried to restore it, flash the firmware but the dot still persisted. AFAIK, this problem will get worsen as the black dots might increase in the next few days
    That could be great news! I read about the Bayer sensor and was also amazed that so many pixels could have died ! Plus the dots were so irregular but thought well maybe it's because of the post processing.

Could you please take a look at this picture and tell me if the dots look like the ones you had? ( Of course not identical but at least resemble)

http://db.tt/AycSEMMg

I had one large spot on the top left of the image. But it was similar, irregular.

ysupypa8.jpg

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta