Debian with gnome on A101

Search This thread
Hi everybody,

I managed to install a version of debian (with gnome) on the A101.
Most of the things works but the wifi is not yet fully operational. I work on it right now.
Edit : Wifi activated, and patch for sound available
Here is the file rootfs.img into two parts. For now, the only version is in French but soon I will upload an English version.
Edit : Supports english, see wiki for instructions

For more informations visit http://www.debian-archos.com
I will check this thread if you have any question about my debian.

Links are here http://www.debian-archos.com/download-debian-for-archos-gen8

Login : debian

password : debian

su password : debian

Enjoy ;)

**Edit**
Added a tutorial on "How to create a rootfs.img" on my website

Last edited:

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
That is very cool. I don't speak or read French, so I can't really check it out, but how is the speed compared to Froyo?

it take time to launch but after it's pretty fast, but the interest is primarily to release all the capabilities of the tablet!
And don't worry, i'm making an english version at this time, but it takes a lot of time, so be patient !

Well... that sounds very interresting.... Did you get the touch-screen working?

Yep As you can see on youtube : watch?v=m0gcIN6Vzo8
And it's not a VNC!

USB master works too, you can connect a keyboard, usb key etc ....

For the wifi I manage to connect via ifup and to ping google, but the internet does not work ... If anyone has an idea it would be with pleasure.

lieckedeeler

Mar 4, 2011
@katleastudio

tried to watch on youtube... did you remove the video? I get an error message when i tried watching it.

TjaXanK

Mar 14, 2010
this is great! going to test it straight away! so, is the wi-fi the only thing not working?

TjaXanK

Mar 14, 2010
ok, let us know when you manage to get these working, almost done downloading it!
EDIT: I'll try and see if i can get them to work and if i do, i'll let you know

TjaXanK

Mar 14, 2010
So, things that currently don't work are wi-fi, bluetooth, orientation sensor, hadware graphics and audio... a part from those issues I'm impressed on how well debian runs on the archos 70

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
On my Archos 7.0 IT

IMG_20110320_215237.jpg

tazarus

Mar 11, 2011
Debian or Ubuntu on A70 it

Hello,
Really nice work, i hope you get the WIFI 100% and sound so it will be perfect for me !
As someone told you on your website, the coming Ubuntu release named "Natty Narwhal 11.04" will get the UNITY and GNOME interface, and it will be easy to switch from one to another, UNITY is also what looks like the Ubuntu Netbook Edition screen.
Maybe you can try to get UNITY inside Debian ? you will find more here :

//help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuNetbookEdition

Ex :With Ubuntu 10.10 a new desktop called "Unity" was introduced as default for the Ubuntu netbook edition. The new interface should use the small desktop of netbooks more effectively, give a better structured access to the installed application and be more touchscreen-friendly. It is already planned to use Unity as default desktop for Ubuntu 11.04

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
I am really exited for this. I have always wanted to use Linux as my main OS, but because of certain things I need (i.e. World of Warcraft :p) that don't work well on Ubuntu, I always end up uninstalling and going back to Windows.

So I would love to have a nice Ubuntu/Android dual boot system on my A70. Keep up the good work.

And guys, don't forget to thank the OP. It's great when people do things like this to give us non-dev types better products.

399man

Feb 18, 2011
Squeeze on A43it \o/

I did it using the same method.

And my 43it successfully booted Debian Squeeze.
/!\ 5mp shots.
esdeem.ch/trash/HPIM8175.JPG
esdeem.ch/trash/HPIM8176.JPG
esdeem.ch/trash/HPIM8178.JPG
esdeem.ch/trash/HPIM8179.JPG

The main problem is screen calibration. The pointer remains about 5 mm away from the screen borders, which make the menu totally unusable.
But as the center of the screen is usable, I managed to launch some applications.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,

I managed to install a version of debian (with gnome) on the A101.
    Most of the things works but the wifi is not yet fully operational. I work on it right now.
    Edit : Wifi activated, and patch for sound available
    Here is the file rootfs.img into two parts. For now, the only version is in French but soon I will upload an English version.
    Edit : Supports english, see wiki for instructions

For more informations visit http://www.debian-archos.com
    I will check this thread if you have any question about my debian.

Links are here http://www.debian-archos.com/download-debian-for-archos-gen8

Login : debian

password : debian

su password : debian

Enjoy ;)

**Edit**
    Added a tutorial on "How to create a rootfs.img" on my website
    Any chance of sharing those files? I've found my A70IT and it still runs android.... tnx

Sadly my computer is out of commission till probably the summer (by which I mean physically inaccessible) and I'm fairly sure I don't have any of the GNOME images on either of my laptops or cloud storage but IIRC the web archive had them backed up so you should look there.
    I do have the Debian LXDE from OpenAOS and the Bodhi Linux images on my 101IT if those would be good enough (TBH I don't use the GNOME images cause I find it's way too heavy, granted Enlightenment is also heavy but at least it's really the most mobile friendly you'll get on these OMAP 3 devices so the performance trade-off is worth it)?