Debloated stock + microG for best performance/privacy

Search This thread

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
One word ahead: I am a huge fan of Custom Rom (LOS). Nevertheless some feature will be missed (volte) and performance might be not perfect (camera, dolby) due to proprietary firmware.
On the other hand I like to keep away from data collecting companies as google.

Isn't than a rooted and debloated stock image with microG instead of Gapps the best possible option? I did this once for an older Samsung and results was fine. But there is one thing I don't know: How it will act on updates. I don't want to miss security updates.

Any ideas? Or is it a bad idea at all? Curious to your feedback

I will extend this posts. Not only writing a step by step howto, but also explain the ideas behind. Maybe also some steps aside, mistakes I did.

So for the first steps look https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...est-performance-privacy.4240057/post-84573619

(To avoid misunderstandings: I will not provide a ROM. There are some steps to go with existing stock ROM - as only this gives you full features.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Citizen97485

Retrecd

Feb 27, 2021
Isn't than a rooted and debloated stock image with microG instead of Gapps the best possible option?
I will assume you are comparing it with the latest LOS available.
Privacy-wise? Not really. Even if you remove GApps from the stock rom, Samsung will still collect data. You can limit that by:

1. Not using Samsung Account/Pay/Pass (as on why, read privacy policy)
2. Removing "com.hiya.star", which collects your location, tho it will break the "Places" feature in the Phone app.
3. Replacing Samsung Keyboard with an open-source alternative or disabling the autocorrect feature as it sends corrected texts to Samsung.
4. Not using Samsung Weather app/widget (as on why, read privacy policy)

After that and using some F-Droid apps I would say you have a pretty decent privacy.

Performace-wise? Absolutely. The battery life is a lot better compared to AOSP ROMs and thats not even taking into account that OneUI has the Ultra Power Saving Mode. The camera is miles ahead too and of course, VoLTE actually works.
How it will act on updates. I don't want to miss security updates.
I have tested that. If its just a security update, then it will install flawlessly. If its a feature update, some bloatware and Gapps may reinstall. I haven't experienced any update failing, but that may change in the future.

If you really care about privacy, but dont want to miss out on features, then go ahead with debloating and degoogling the stock rom. Just note that some problems with compatibility and some rare random crashes may occur.

Reactions: jelbo

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
2. Removing "com.hiya.star", which collects your location, tho it will break the "Places" feature in the Phone app.
3. Replacing Samsung Keyboard with an open-source alternative or disabling the autocorrect feature as it sends corrected texts to Samsung.

After that and using some F-Droid apps I would say you have a pretty decent privacy.

Sure, that was the ideas to remove as much of Google/Samsung stuff as possible and also use AFWall to limit data transfer. I am using FDroid already, there are good tools, respecting privacy.

So you went already same approach? There is already a thread about debloating, but I think what I want to do is even behind that. If you like, you can share more details. I would like create some kind of a howto ...

Retrecd

Feb 27, 2021
Sure, that was the ideas to remove as much of Google/Samsung stuff as possible and also use AFWall to limit data transfer. I am using FDroid already, there are good tools, respecting privacy.

So you went already same approach? There is already a thread about debloating, but I think what I want to do is even behind that. If you like, you can share more details. I would like create some kind of a howto ...

Here is an article on using ADB to remove bloatware: https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Now here is a list of bloatware on the S10, remove it the way showcased in the article: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-s10-s10-debloat-bloatware-removal-list.3912073/
The list is a bit older, but most of the bloatware is still present in the latest version.

The same way you removed the bloatware, you remove the Gapps. Remove the following core Google packages:
Code:
com.google.android.gsf
com.android.vending
com.google.android.gms

If you want to remove more packages that aren't listen in the article install the "App Inspector" from Google Play or any APK site and find out the names of the packages.

Reactions: starbright_

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Please read and share your ideas. I am sure that we only together can create the best possible solution. Maybe you know othere ways/apps to solve a problem. As of now I share my point of view.
My hope is, that at the end of this to have an "howto" covering as many aspects as required for this.

First thing nevertheless is install TWRP/Magisk, which seems to be more tricky than usual.
While you can debloat your ROM without root, there are imho 3 reasons for doing that:
  • microG needs be installed as a system-app to have working location service (get your location by GPS or by offline database)
  • you will have problems to install a firewall and adblocker. There are solution with don't need root (Netguard and Blockada), but both base on a "virtual" VPN connection and you can have only one at a time. So you do have either a Firewall or an AdBlocker, but not both.
  • The way of create and restore backups are much better with root. I can recommend TWRP itself for a general backup and migrate for apps/settings.
For those like me, coming from unrooted stock fw the recommendation is to
  1. root with Magisk - details here
  2. flash the TWRP - details here
  3. spoofing the signature for usage of microG instead of playservices
  4. install microG and "friends"
  5. debloat stock ROM
  6. migrate data from old to new device

Last edited:

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
here
Tricky indeed and even more tricky is installing updates. Once you know the procedure it's ok, but it is still a major hassle compared to a stock OTA update.
Sure, I am aware of that. I just read about it. But there is no other way except you are happy with stock. First time is always a nightmare, but I hope once get used to it.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Here is an article on using ADB to remove bloatware: https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Now here is a list of bloatware on the S10, remove it the way showcased in the article: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-s10-s10-debloat-bloatware-removal-list.3912073/
The list is a bit older, but most of the bloatware is still present in the latest version.

The same way you removed the bloatware, you remove the Gapps. Remove the following core Google packages:
Code:
com.google.android.gsf
com.android.vending
com.google.android.gms

If you want to remove more packages that aren't listen in the article install the "App Inspector" from Google Play or any APK site and find out the names of the packages.

How did you managed that switch from Gapps to microG? I assume if you delete Gapps without MicroG installed you will get lot of problems.
How did you manage to spoof Stock Rom? Are you on 11?

lp35

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all. Very interesting conversation. Has someone successfully used microG on stock rom on a daily usage? In my past experience, using microG without signature spoofing is making a lot of apps not working properly...

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Hi all. Very interesting conversation. Has someone successfully used microG on stock rom on a daily usage? In my past experience, using microG without signature spoofing is making a lot of apps not working properly...
I think spoofing is a must have. I just evaluate how this can be done.
With Android 11 it is more difficult. I found that one (but not sure whether signature spoofing works):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/module-smali-patcher-7-3.3680053
this one:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/signature-spoofing-on-unsuported-android-11-r-roms.4214143/
or via NanoDroidPatcher
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...7-microg-pseudo-debloat-f-droid-apps.3584928/
It says:
11.0 / SDK 30 (R)
  • Patcher does not work from TWRP
  • Patcher works from Magisk if your ROM's services.jar already contains classes.dex
I checked that and /service/framework/service.jar contains that classes.dex

So I give this a try, downloaded the patcher and started it out of Magisk. Log looks ok so far. It requires reboot.
The problem with enabling Magisk is - you have to boot with "recovery" mode - and not sure, it fails several time (although USB is plugged) or phone reboots again and than Magisk is disabled - while booting into TWRP still works.
So my guess is: This causes some problem.

Last edited:

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Step 3) - Spoofing

Have been successful:
I followed that thread:

But I just created a spoof_AVDapi30.zip. My thinking just flashing that one for spoofing seems to be wrong. Also flashing both: spoof and microG_AVD....

So what I did was flashing out of Magsik (Module install out of memory) NanoDroid-microG-23.1.2.20210117.zip and followed by spoof_AVDapi30.zip.
Power off. And take care you boot with Power + Vol+ + Bixby + USB Cable pressed until you see the splash-screen.

Last edited:

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
It is already. I started debloating - that is another step. See this thread:
Debloating S10e

I am still in testing phase and I would like to see once an FW-update via OTA will happen. Curious what will happen with my system.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Debloating is done.
Final step is takeover of my previous installation. I do that with the tool/app migrate. That works rather fine.
I am not using the special sections to export contacts, SMS ...
Contacts will be exported from the app itself and than imported in new device.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
No it is working. Have you tried that?

I couldn't deinstall com.samsung.android.kgclient and blocking its UID (with awfall) causes some battery drain. Maybe I have to live with not blocking this.

Anyhow, I am wondering whether debloating is required at all. Cutting the connection to Ethernet (to not talk "home") might be enough.
I don't not have enough understanding of what will be better: remove or just block.
A removed app might not spend time on connecting servers again and again, while a missed service can cause trouble if you don't expect that.

Probably it is best to uninstall apps you are really sure there are no dependencies to others and block the others-

VenfefulRat

Nov 24, 2016
Step 3) - Spoofing

Have been successful:
I followed that thread:

But I just created a spoof_AVDapi30.zip. My thinking just flashing that one for spoofing seems to be wrong. Also flashing both: spoof and microG_AVD....

So what I did was flashing out of Magsik (Module install out of memory) NanoDroid-microG-23.1.2.20210117.zip and followed by spoof_AVDapi30.zip.
Power off. And take care you boot with Power + Vol+ + Bixby + USB Cable pressed until you see the splash-screen.
So just install those inside of magisk and reboot? I'll give it a shot.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Dead thread, I see.
What are you continuously posting about dead thread? Any question or any feedback? Strange. It is is all set and done. What do you expect?
@VenfefulRat:
This wasn't a real question, right. It was stated to do it out of magsik. It would be great to have some feedback.

@All: A forum lives from reading (to gain knowlegde ) and posting (sharing experience, ask questions, give feedback). If someone ask and he gets answer I would expect a feedback or at least a like (as a sign it has been read). Otherwise people stop posting and the only left here are those who ask or feed the troll. ;)

Reactions: steventorres

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dead thread, I see.
    What are you continuously posting about dead thread? Any question or any feedback? Strange. It is is all set and done. What do you expect?
    @VenfefulRat:
    This wasn't a real question, right. It was stated to do it out of magsik. It would be great to have some feedback.

@All: A forum lives from reading (to gain knowlegde ) and posting (sharing experience, ask questions, give feedback). If someone ask and he gets answer I would expect a feedback or at least a like (as a sign it has been read). Otherwise people stop posting and the only left here are those who ask or feed the troll. ;)
    Updates manually over twrp. current version is oneui 3.1
    Bromite is -> https://www.bromite.org/
    no, this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...est-performance-privacy.4240057/post-84614107 does not work
    Please read and share your ideas. I am sure that we only together can create the best possible solution. Maybe you know othere ways/apps to solve a problem. As of now I share my point of view.
    My hope is, that at the end of this to have an "howto" covering as many aspects as required for this.

First thing nevertheless is install TWRP/Magisk, which seems to be more tricky than usual.
    While you can debloat your ROM without root, there are imho 3 reasons for doing that:
    • microG needs be installed as a system-app to have working location service (get your location by GPS or by offline database)
    • you will have problems to install a firewall and adblocker. There are solution with don't need root (Netguard and Blockada), but both base on a "virtual" VPN connection and you can have only one at a time. So you do have either a Firewall or an AdBlocker, but not both.
    • The way of create and restore backups are much better with root. I can recommend TWRP itself for a general backup and migrate for apps/settings.
    For those like me, coming from unrooted stock fw the recommendation is to
    1. root with Magisk - details here
    2. flash the TWRP - details here
    3. spoofing the signature for usage of microG instead of playservices
    4. install microG and "friends"
    5. debloat stock ROM
    6. migrate data from old to new device
    One word ahead: I am a huge fan of Custom Rom (LOS). Nevertheless some feature will be missed (volte) and performance might be not perfect (camera, dolby) due to proprietary firmware.
    On the other hand I like to keep away from data collecting companies as google.

Isn't than a rooted and debloated stock image with microG instead of Gapps the best possible option? I did this once for an older Samsung and results was fine. But there is one thing I don't know: How it will act on updates. I don't want to miss security updates.

I will extend this posts. Not only writing a step by step howto, but also explain the ideas behind. Maybe also some steps aside, mistakes I did.

So for the first steps look https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...est-performance-privacy.4240057/post-84573619

(To avoid misunderstandings: I will not provide a ROM. There are some steps to go with existing stock ROM - as only this gives you full features.)
    Isn't than a rooted and debloated stock image with microG instead of Gapps the best possible option?
    I will assume you are comparing it with the latest LOS available.
    Privacy-wise? Not really. Even if you remove GApps from the stock rom, Samsung will still collect data. You can limit that by:

Performace-wise? Absolutely. The battery life is a lot better compared to AOSP ROMs and thats not even taking into account that OneUI has the Ultra Power Saving Mode. The camera is miles ahead too and of course, VoLTE actually works.
    How it will act on updates. I don't want to miss security updates.
    I have tested that. If its just a security update, then it will install flawlessly. If its a feature update, some bloatware and Gapps may reinstall. I haven't experienced any update failing, but that may change in the future.

If you really care about privacy, but dont want to miss out on features, then go ahead with debloating and degoogling the stock rom. Just note that some problems with compatibility and some rare random crashes may occur.

Code:
    com.google.android.gsf
    com.android.vending
    com.google.android.gms

Dead thread, I see.
    @VenfefulRat:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone