Debranding AT&T Lumia 920

Search This thread

ellokomen

Nov 30, 2009
Hi,

is there any way to put a different ROM on an AT&T Lumia 920.

I intend to use it overseas but I need the Internet Sharing option enabled (wifi hotspot) and as far as I know AT&T and Rogers has it blocked by default.

Any help on this?

Thanks

ellokomen

Nov 30, 2009
The Access Point app enables tethering.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

But does it enable it to any carrier?

Because I have read that this app has predefined APNs for some selected carriers, and I'm planning to use it on carriers that may not be listed on it.

jeromel

Jul 19, 2008
Winnipeg
But does it enable it to any carrier?

Because I have read that this app has predefined APNs for some selected carriers, and I'm planning to use it on carriers that may not be listed on it.

Are you asking if a ROM flash will unlock your phone so that you can use a different carrier's SIM? You'd need to do that first. Then you can use Access Point.

j_sous

Sep 1, 2007
Are you saying that the access point app enables tethering on AT&T without a tethering plan???

If so, I suppose anyone can sideload this app and start tethering on AT&T without flashing new ROMs?

clixt

Mar 10, 2011
Try with your own risk for you can't uninstall this. The only way to remove this is through factory reset.

thelostsoul

Jan 15, 2007
Try with your own risk for you can't uninstall this. The only way to remove this is through factory reset.

Thanks for this!

Hmm, does anyone know if you select AT&T 3G, does that then disable LTE? Is there any benefit to have one of those AP's selected over the others?

ellokomen

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for this!

Hmm, does anyone know if you select AT&T 3G, does that then disable LTE? Is there any benefit to have one of those AP's selected over the others?

I suspect this:

When a carrier has LTE aside from GSM it has to have two different APNs since there are different core networks.

That's why you have to have at least 2 APN configured, one for LTE ( the data will go thru LTE data core) and when the phone is out of LTE coverage, in 3G/2G GSM it uses the other APN configured for GSM data.

you can confirm this by just leaving only one APN configured and try to use data on LTE and 3G HSPA, only one should work depending on which APN you configured.

thelostsoul

Jan 15, 2007
I suspect this:

When a carrier has LTE aside from GSM it has to have two different APNs since there are different core networks.

That's why you have to have at least 2 APN configured, one for LTE ( the data will go thru LTE data core) and when the phone is out of LTE coverage, in 3G/2G GSM it uses the other APN configured for GSM data.

you can confirm this by just leaving only one APN configured and try to use data on LTE and 3G HSPA, only one should work depending on which APN you configured.

I see, so what you are saying is if I select 3G, it should automatically switch to one of the LTE ones. But if I select 3G and delete the other two, it will only work on 3G?

I would test that theory, but my device will not let me delete or modify the built in APNs (guessing it's an ATT restriction).

Thanks!

clixt

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks man, any help on using this now? Thanks!

Once installed, it will be on Settings. As far as I know, you need an unlocked device to make internet sharing works. (I could be wrong)
APN wise, it should automatically detect the settings of your carrier from the SIM. I never really messed with it as much. I was just curious about the app hehe.

If you guys need more help, go to wpcentral's forums and search for access point. There are tons of threads about it. :D

ellokomen

Nov 30, 2009
well guys, I'm onboard. I just ordered my unlocked AT&T lumia 920 and as soon as it arrives I will install this app.

Thanks everyone for their sharing.

Ashex1

Feb 2, 2010
Installed the app and I'm still not able to enable Internet Sharing. In Access Point there are two LTE options and one 3G. For both LTE options attempting to enable LTE gives the message about going to the AT&T website.
With the 3G option it simply saying "Internet sharing isn't currently available".

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone