• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General December Update Delayed

Search This thread

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Pretty sad that the latest flagship is updated last. Maybe some of this was already included in the off-cycle one for the fingerprint scanner?

Reactions: Tool Belt

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
I just went down the list, and a number of the improvements/fixes are exclusive to the 6 and 6 pro. Here is the list:

Apps
  • Fix for issue causing Assistant to unintentionally start a phone call in certain conditions *[1].
Audio
  • General fixes & improvements for audio playback issues in certain apps *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing audio noise in videos captured while using certain phone cases *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing microphone to cut out during calls in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing occasional audio glitch when adjusting volume levels *[1].
  • Fix for issue occasionally preventing audio playback from speaker in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Now Playing to search for unrecognized music *[1].
Biometrics
  • General improvements for fingerprint sensor stability & performance *[1].
  • Additional fixes for issues preventing enrollment of new fingerprints in certain conditions *[1].

Bluetooth
  • Fix for distorted audio over Bluetooth in certain scenarios *[1].

Camera
  • General image quality improvements in camera preview/capture *[1].
  • General improvements for camera stability & performance *[1].
  • General improvements for auto-focus response in certain capture modes *[1].
  • General improvements for color consistency in viewfinder preview *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing blank viewfinder preview in certain conditions *[1].
Display & Graphics
  • Enable ANGLE graphics support library for certain apps and games *[1].
  • Fix for occasional screen flicker during brightness adjustment *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Smooth Display to switch display refresh rate in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing screen flicker after locking or unlocking device in certain conditions *[1].
Network & Telephony
  • Fix for issue that disabled call features on certain devices or networks in certain conditions *[1].

Sensors
  • Fix for issue preventing lift to wake and double tap to wake in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Always-on-display from turning on in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing unexpected haptics or vibration in certain conditions *[1].
System
  • Fix for issue causing device to freeze after sleeping while charging in certain conditions *[1].

Wi-Fi
  • Fix for issue that would occasionally disconnect device from Wi-Fi in certain conditions *[1].

*[1] Included on Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro

Last edited:

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
They are probably just working on some Pixel 6-specific stuff, I would imagine. Rather wait a week or 2 and have some more things addressed and/or get things right than wait until the January update.
Exactly, there is no rush. The November update is working good.
And you will always get people that think the world owes them everything like a spoiled ten year old.
(Mommy, I want my update now, now, now.) 😉

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Except for the Critical Flaws in Media Framework and System. (I assume we are immune to the Qualcomm ones).

Media Framework​

The most severe vulnerability in this section could lead to remote information disclosure with no additional execution privileges needed.

System​

The most severe vulnerability in this section could enable a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process.

Nidstang

May 15, 2014
Google Pixel 6
They are probably just working on some Pixel 6-specific stuff, I would imagine. Rather wait a week or 2 and have some more things addressed and/or get things right than wait until the January update.
Plus, I'm legitimately shocked by the number of people who seem to think that it would be acceptable -- perhaps even desirable -- for Google to prioritize updates on its new phone over older phones.

To my mind, delaying the update on the 6 until it's completely ready is quite defensible. But delaying updates on older phones to focus on the 6 would be entirely indefensible.

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
Google should never have shipped the phone with so many core features broken.
Why, Google has been doing this every year it releases a new OS. The average tweek, bug fixes are about three months after releasing the OS.
Crapple does the same thing.

Buy a LG, Samsung, etc.. And then you will really have something to complain about.
How many updates does Samsung have?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Why, Google has been doing this every year it releases a new OS. The average tweek, bug fixes are about three months after releasing the OS.
Crapple does the same thing.

Buy a LG, Samsung, etc.. And then you will really have something to complain about.
How many updates does Samsung have?
I'm not as disappointed in the issues that need to be fixed as I am for the delay in the ones that are already fixed and not rolled out yet. Why not have 2 updates a month for a new device? Obviously, it's needed seeing the mid Nov update, so why not December as well. Of the 100 fixes I'm sure at least a large percentage of them are ready so why wait?

I just came upon this seeing the proximity sensor issue I have on the P6 while in a call. It doesn't work correctly and there is a fix for it now. Why wait? Why not 2 updates / month for a new device or as many as needed. If this is indeed their flagship device then treat it as such.

Reactions: Nimueh

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
I'm not as disappointed in the issues that need to be fixed as I am for the delay in the ones that are already fixed and not rolled out yet. Why not have 2 updates a month for a new device? Obviously, it's needed seeing the mid Nov update, so why not December as well. Of the 100 fixes I'm sure at least a large percentage of them are ready so why wait?

I just came upon this seeing the proximity sensor issue I have on the P6 while in a call. It doesn't work correctly and there is a fix for it now. Why wait? Why not 2 updates / month for a new device or as many as needed. If this is indeed their flagship device then treat it as such.
Overhead of testing & releasing at such a high frequency I presume. We would be the first complain about even more unstable/bug ridden updates ;-)

My guess the mid Nov one was possibly to dampen down criticism from the few operators in the US that it was supported for.

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Overhead of testing & releasing at such a high frequency I presume. We would be the first complain about even more unstable/bug ridden updates ;-)

My guess the mid Nov one was possibly to dampen down criticism from the few operators in the US that it was supported for.
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Two updates a month for a few months is not a high frequency for a new device and new SoC. As for unstable updates how about the FPR that hasn't been rolled out yet for international customers which is very stable, albeit not 100% yet?

But even agreeing with you, as devil's advocate, how about at least a firm date and/or exactly what is holding up the monthly for the P6s. Right now we're flying in the dark and it's causing a lot of people to question their new device release. I really don't think that is asking too much as some are inclined to defend, nor do I think it's entitlement. It's good business or bad business practices and Google needs to step it up a bit, imho.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
Have to agree with you on your principle, but I don't expect different from what we're getting and guessing why that's the case.

I don't know - have Samsung or other major vendors done differently for a new device/SoC? I think Apple have done rapid releases once or twice, but they tend to be for more major 'show stopping flaws', right?

Reactions: vandyman

darfbozo

Sep 7, 2009
Southampton(ish)
Bit p**sed off that some people got the fingerprint reader fix and the rest of us are still struggling. Don't understand the thinking behind that at all.

JagerPL

Dec 7, 2021
Google Pixel XL
Huawei P20
I just went down the list, and a number of the improvements/fixes are exclusive to the 6 and 6 pro. Here is the list:

Apps
  • Fix for issue causing Assistant to unintentionally start a phone call in certain conditions *[1].
Audio
  • General fixes & improvements for audio playback issues in certain apps *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing audio noise in videos captured while using certain phone cases *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing microphone to cut out during calls in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing occasional audio glitch when adjusting volume levels *[1].
  • Fix for issue occasionally preventing audio playback from speaker in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Now Playing to search for unrecognized music *[1].
Biometrics
  • General improvements for fingerprint sensor stability & performance *[1].
  • Additional fixes for issues preventing enrollment of new fingerprints in certain conditions *[1].

Bluetooth
  • Fix for distorted audio over Bluetooth in certain scenarios *[1].

Camera
  • General image quality improvements in camera preview/capture *[1].
  • General improvements for camera stability & performance *[1].
  • General improvements for auto-focus response in certain capture modes *[1].
  • General improvements for color consistency in viewfinder preview *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing blank viewfinder preview in certain conditions *[1].
Display & Graphics
  • Enable ANGLE graphics support library for certain apps and games *[1].
  • Fix for occasional screen flicker during brightness adjustment *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Smooth Display to switch display refresh rate in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing screen flicker after locking or unlocking device in certain conditions *[1].
Network & Telephony
  • Fix for issue that disabled call features on certain devices or networks in certain conditions *[1].

Sensors
  • Fix for issue preventing lift to wake and double tap to wake in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue preventing Always-on-display from turning on in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing unexpected haptics or vibration in certain conditions *[1].
System
  • Fix for issue causing device to freeze after sleeping while charging in certain conditions *[1].

Wi-Fi
  • Fix for issue that would occasionally disconnect device from Wi-Fi in certain conditions *[1].

*[1] Included on Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro
Actual list is much longer than that, those are Pixel 6/6 pro only. Include 2,4,5, and 7 and you get full changelog for both devices and it is a pretty massive update.

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Correct. I was just showing how many applied exclusively to the Pixel 6 - the one whose update that was delayed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Was not expecting this. What a treatment for new phone.
    Exactly, there is no rush. The November update is working good.
    And you will always get people that think the world owes them everything like a spoiled ten year old.
    (Mommy, I want my update now, now, now.) 😉
    Google should never have shipped the phone with so many core features broken.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Two updates a month for a few months is not a high frequency for a new device and new SoC. As for unstable updates how about the FPR that hasn't been rolled out yet for international customers which is very stable, albeit not 100% yet?

But even agreeing with you, as devil's advocate, how about at least a firm date and/or exactly what is holding up the monthly for the P6s. Right now we're flying in the dark and it's causing a lot of people to question their new device release. I really don't think that is asking too much as some are inclined to defend, nor do I think it's entitlement. It's good business or bad business practices and Google needs to step it up a bit, imho.