General December update/feature drop

Search This thread
I was debating to go with a Pixel or Samsung. Decided Samsung Note 20 ultra. Its the best phone I have experienced but too secure. I use the my Oukitel K9 for trying various roms and have not experienced all these issue on this forum. I literally didn't go for pixel because of the screen size. The connectivity issues had never crossed my mind. I would be furious if I had bought a flagship phone that had issues like these.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was debating to go with a Pixel or Samsung. Decided Samsung Note 20 ultra. Its the best phone I have experienced but too secure. I use the my Oukitel K9 for trying various roms and have not experienced all these issue on this forum. I literally didn't go for pixel because of the screen size. The connectivity issues had never crossed my mind. I would be furious if I had bought a flagship phone that had issues like these.
Samsung phones tend to have poor signal. The internet is filled with comments from people reporting the loss of coverage and low signal intensity,..I've had far more signal with iPhones than any Samsung devices.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Where is Dec update its Dec 18 last update Nov 5
One of these is what you need to update manually (take the -w out of the flash-all.bat file), although from what I'm reading, if you're not rooted (and planning on keeping root), folks have reported great user-friendly success using the Official Google Android Flash Tool instead. You can still root after doing it that way, too, just doesn't make as much sense to use that method if you're going to root since you'll still need the full official firmware, unless you're definitely going to use a custom kernel, too.

I've heard rumors that Google stopped pushing the December update, but I don't know if that's true. I haven't noticed any news articles about it, but I haven't gone looking for them either.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
One of these is what you need to update manually (take the -w out of the flash-all.bat file), although from what I'm reading, if you're not rooted (and planning on keeping root), folks have reported great user-friendly success using the Official Google Android Flash Tool instead. You can still root after doing it that way, too, just doesn't make as much sense to use that method if you're going to root since you'll still need the full official firmware, unless you're definitely going to use a custom kernel, too.

I've heard rumors that Google stopped pushing the December update, but I don't know if that's true. I haven't noticed any news articles about it, but I haven't gone looking for them either.
If all he wants to do is update to the latest patch he would only need to do the OTA sideload and not flash the whole image. The link is to the full image and not the OTA. Did he say he was rooted, I'm having a hard time understanding your post here.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If all he wants to do is update to the latest patch he would only need to do the OTA sideload and not flash the whole image. The link is to the full image and not the OTA. Did he say he was rooted, I'm having a hard time understanding your post here.
I never do OTA sideload - I always use the full image. If he's planning on rooting, then he'll need the boot.img from the full image anyway, so would save him a step since the OTA doesn't include the full boot.img, but overall I was recommending the Android Flash Tool if he's not rooted and not going to. He didn't say much at all. He didn't say if he's rooted or not rooted. I'm trying not to assume either way as it's anyone's guess, and quite common that rooted folks don't mention they're rooted, and definitely very common that non-rooted folks don't mention that they're not.

There are many ways for them to update, I was giving them my recommendations if they're tired of waiting for the OTA.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I never do OTA sideload - I always use the full image. If he's planning on rooting, then he'll need the boot.img from the full image anyway, so would save him a step since the OTA doesn't include the full boot.img, but overall I was recommending the Android Flash Tool if he's not rooted and not going to. He didn't say much at all. He didn't say if he's rooted or not rooted. I'm trying not to assume either way as it's anyone's guess, and quite common that rooted folks don't mention they're rooted, and definitely very common that non-rooted folks don't mention that they're not.

There are many ways for them to update, I was giving them my recommendations if they're tired of waiting for the OTA.
I see what you're getting at although I've never flashed a full image if an OTA was available for sideload. Different strokes.. But what I was referring to was your statement " though from what I'm reading, if you're not rooted (and planning on keeping root), " Does that make sense to you?

I'm curious why you would flash the entire image and not the OTA? Do you find it better for operations? Heck it's easy enough if it's worth it.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
But what I was referring to was your statement " though from what I'm reading, if you're not rooted (and planning on keeping root), " Does that make sense to you?
I tend to try to cover multiple scenarios in my statements - sometimes too much and I cause confusion. :)

What I mean is:
  • Whether they're rooted now or not, if they plan on keeping root or rooting afterwards, they might as well go for the full firmware zip for many reasons, which I could list (it's good to have on hand if you get in a pinch, and unless they're planning on using a rooted custom kernel, they'll need the stock boot.img extracted out of the full image zip in order to root the boot.img with Magisk.
  • If they're not planning on being rooted, the Android Flash Tool would probably be their best bet.

I'm curious why you would flash the entire image and not the OTA? Do you find it better for operations? Heck it's easy enough if it's worth it.
Just my preference, as it is for some others in this section (and elsewhere). I like to have the full stock image on hand anyway, so it doesn't make sense for me to download both the OTA and the full firmware zip if I want to keep the full firmware handy anyway.

Also, sometimes it takes a day (or hours :D ) for custom kernels to be updated to work with the new update, so in that case, I need the boot.img file extracted out of the full firmware zip, in order to root it with Magisk and use it rooted until the custom kernel I use has been updated.

There are likely other variables and ways that the same things could be achieved, but it's just been my preferred way. Flashing the full image has never caused me any issues. I did it on my Pixel 1 every month from 2016 to early 2020 when I stopped using it.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
@roirraW "edor" ehT Thanks good info. You're in the rooted unlocked camp and thus all of it makes sense. Maybe one of these days I'll play around again. It's always tempting. I think what has kept me away is my banking app and Gpay. I know there are ways around it but.. well I don't know. Maybe getting complacent in my old age.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
@roirraW "edor" ehT Thanks good info. You're in the rooted unlocked camp and thus all of it makes sense. Maybe one of these days I'll play around again. It's always tempting. I think what has kept me away is my banking app and Gpay. I know there are ways around it but.. well I don't know. Maybe getting complacent in my old age.
You're welcome! When I used my Pixel 1, I definitely had less reason to root than ever, but thanks to Tensor and Android 12, I have more reason again. This has been the first phone I've used which I performed the workarounds on to get Banking apps and GPay working. It was easier than I thought it would be, although I have no idea if, in the long run, it'll be a frequent cat and mouse game keeping them working.

This is also the first phone I've used the root adblocking on. Now that I have it, I love it. I do really like the features CleanSlate kernel gives (sweep to sleep), and some other modifications.

At my age, I definitely also just like things to work as-is, too.

jdh1969

Oct 7, 2010
The primary function of this device is to be a phone and I have no connectivity. I'm out and about right now and I have no signal. I have no way to even send a text message. This is unacceptable. I spent $1,000 on this phone and Google who promises immediate updates on their devices is delaying the update for a brand new device that has serious issues. I'm extremely upset with this device. I'm extremely upset with Google. I will never purchase another Google phone again. I should have learned my lesson when I purchased the Nexus 6P but nevertheless if this update whenever it does come out does not fix my connectivity issues. I am selling this device immediately and I will never give Google another dime again.
I agree. There are many changes that are performed on the back end of devices by Google that are not disclosed to their customers. I would like to see a company like Duck Duck Go make a device. Total transparency and privacy.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs
Its getting to be a bit of a farce!

One of the main reasons I got my previous Pixels was that you received the updates first, like clockwork.

The P6P has some major issues, FPS!!, screen going blank, Reception etc. Yet we get it after all the other Pixels!?

And to top it off if you live in the "Google blind spot", ie not USA, you havent even got the FPS fix to make it usable!

So, we get to the delayed date and, SURPRISE! No update again.

Is something going on that we dont know about, feel like a Beta tester and I paid them nearly £1000 to do it!!!!
After having every Nexus and Pixel Device release, i dont remember a pixel that DID NOT have reception issues at one point or another. Something always fixed in updates, eventually. I think they settled and these were class action lawsuit for Pixel 2XL and Pixel 3XL owners for reception issues.....both were different lawsuits....

Not sure why, but when I try accessing Recovery Mode to sideload the December OTA, I get a "No Command" message with the android guy laying down with a "!" over him. Tried entering Recovery Mode via ADB and Volume Down + Power, but I get the same result. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Pixel 6 Pro, USA, Verizon carrier, locked, and running Command Prompt as an Administrator in Windows. Thank you.
Merry Christmas, everyone! 🧑‍🎄

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, I just have a quick question for those of you crying about the update not being here earlier, did yall make it? I legit thought some of yall would collapse and die. I prayed for you though 🙏:ROFLMAO:
    * * * Friendly Reminder * * *

Let's keep the comments related to the original topic of when the next update will drop. Off-topic, insulting, and disrespectful comments have already been removed.

Insulting one another, and disrespectful comments about one another is the quickest way to have your account reviewed for restriction.

This is a development site, NOT a social media site where people bash each other for holding a different opinion.

If you agree, do so respectfully. If you disagree, do so respectfully. If you can't or refuse to be respectful and helpful, simply don't comment at all.

People acting like children telling others to stop acting like children is just ridiculous and makes both sides look silly.

If your comment violates Forum Rules, isn't helpful, isn't respectful, please just don't post it.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

UPDATED: any further racially motivated comments will find that member's account disabled. NOT COOL, NOT WELCOME HERE!

tl;dr

be respectful
    be helpful
    be at one with the rules
    World first problem... Chill out.

Update is coming today December 13th as per every articles.

If you can't stand the phone, sell it and move on to Samsung or Isheep bangwagon. But be advise they have there share of problems too...
    Please don't tell me to chill out.

If I want to comment on my frustrations about having a "premium" device which is sold with faults and has a promise of updates which are not upheld, then I shall.

If you wish to spend your money and follow what Google says like a "sheep" without voicing your dissatisfaction, then that too is your right.

To paraphrase a brilliant quote "All that is needed for poor service to continue to happen is for good customers to do nothing", I have raised my concerns with Google and would encourage others to raise your voice too.
    Remember when manufacturers released updates quarterly, every other month, or whenever they felt like it? Good times :p

Now we're so spoiled, if we don't get an update every 29-30 days, or by midnight on the 3rd; the manufacturer sucks, the device sucks, the world sucks and the only thing that's "acceptable" is our entitlement feeling of "I spent $1000 and my 30 day update didn't come exactly as promised!"

Anyone saying they've been in the customizing game a long time should be WELL AWARE of several facts in the unlocked bootloader device world:

-every flagship has issues
    -every manufacturer cares more about $ than quality
    -the newest devices always require a few updates to work out bugs
    -there are several manufacturers whose updates only come whenever they feel like it, and it's always much longer than every 30 days
    Truth.

I think we should all remember that the P6/P6 Pro are new platforms, and while a lot of the other technologies are well established, the Tensor is a brand new development that is bound to have teething problems.

I understand there's a lot of frustration and impatience here, but I have to ask: If you wanted a perfect, faultless device, why did you get a Pixel in the first place? Expecting perfection is a bit unrealistic.

The updates and fixes will come. Be patient. Being upset about it isn't going to make the update come any faster.
    Please don't tell me to chill out.

If I want to comment on my frustrations about having a "premium" device which is sold with faults and has a promise of updates which are not upheld, then I shall.

If you wish to spend your money and follow what Google says like a "sheep" without voicing your dissatisfaction, then that too is your right.

To paraphrase a brilliant quote "All that is needed for poor service to continue to happen is for good customers to do nothing", I have raised my concerns with Google and would encourage others to raise your voice too.
    Well said. People coming on here trying to tell others what they can or cannot say p's me off.

Returned mine cause the return window expired before today, the 13th. I don't think one update can magically fix the phone. I hope it does though. I think it'll take time though, months.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to the next gen phones that are only a couple months away. This next gen will be a true leap in next gen terms. Pixel left me cold