Deep sleep issue and possible fixes

Search This thread

RochiWizz

Mar 7, 2009
So I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this but I couldn't find one better :)

Anyway I have been reading on several ICS ROM threads about people experiencing that there note wouldn't go into deep sleep. I thaught it was only related to the ROM/Kernel being used I just learned thou that it can be caused by other things so why not try and compile a list.

How to check deep sleep state.
Install CPU SPY

Explanation of Deep Sleep by vcespon

CPU on the Galaxy Note is variable speed, like CPUs on laptops. I can work at 200, 500, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1400 MHz, depending on what application you're running.

When there's nothing to do, the CPU should go into "deep sleep" state, which means basically stopped, so it consumes very little power. Some programs can name this transition to deep sleep impossible, so the CPU remains at 200 MHz and drains the battery more than it should.

This happens for example if you are charging the phone and disconnect it from the cable while the screen is off. While charging the CPU is at 200 MHz all the time, and when you disconnect it should go into deep sleep if you're not using the phone, but this does not happen and it keeps running at 200 MHz.

Cause.
Corrupt skin for the "Super clock" in Beutiful widgets app.

Solution.
Use other skin :D

From mikhan
Cause: process usbunmounter or smth like this after using usb flash drives via microusb host adapter
Solution: kill the task or just reboot

From vcespon
Cause: USB cable (Charging or connected to PC) unplugged while Screen off
Solution 1: Reconnect USB cable and unplug with Screen ON
Solution 2: Reboot phone

From handfish
Cause: DirectoryBind
Solution: Uninstall App

Last edited:

mikhan

Sep 28, 2010
Cause: process usbunmounter or smth like this after using usb flash drives via microusb host adapter

nani67

Jan 1, 2011
hyderabad
Realme X2
Sorry for my ignorance...
new to android and using Galaxy Note N7000

can anyone explain me what exactly is this deep sleep...
i saw it in many forums but couldn't figure out what it is all...

vcespon

Dec 10, 2007
Madrid

I'll take this oportunity to answer your question and also explain my findings.
CPU on the Galaxy Note is variable speed, like CPUs on laptops. I can work at 200, 500, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1400 MHz, depending on what application you're running.

When there's nothing to do, the CPU should go into "deep sleep" state, which means basically stopped, so it consumes very little power. Some programs can name this transition to deep sleep impossible, so the CPU remains at 200 MHz and drains the battery more than it should.

This happens for example if you are charging the phone and disconnect it from the cable while the screen is off. While charging the CPU is at 200 MHz all the time, and when you disconnect it should go into deep sleep if you're not using the phone, but this does not happen and it keeps running at 200 MHz.

I've seen this several times. You can plug-in again, and unplug with the screen on. Or reboot the phone.

Reactions: debernardis

debernardis

Jun 30, 2011
Acireale, Sicily
www.debernardis.it
In my hands, disconnecting the charger cable while screen is on didn't work.

But I found a solution which has been shown to work in another area of XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569589

Briefly, it seems that the microusb cable is itself an important issue in provoking the deep sleep bug under ICS.

With a Nokia CA-101 microusb cable which is apparently good quality and sturdy, my Note doesn't go in deep sleep when disconnected.
Instead, using the microusb cable I found in the original Samsung box, the bug doesn't show and after disconnecting I get deep sleep.
In both cases, I am using the original Samsung charger, with a usb male to female extension of about 1 meter length.

I also have a Samsung desk stand, which is powered by a Nokia microusb charger (should be the 1,8 A type). In this setup, the deep sleep bug isn't triggered.

I have yet to test the effect of other cables I have in my drawers home, plus also the Samsung car dock with 12V adapter.

Does anybody have an explanation for such a strange phenomenon?

jaskiratsingh

Oct 1, 2008
I got deep sleep issue to which i did thorough verification. In my case it was because of application which enable mass usb storage in debugging mode. It would not allow phone to go to deep sleep. Even on uninstall the phone wouldnt go to deep sleep. THis is because this app unchecks checkbox which asks to connect as MTP or Camera device in USB debugging and you cannot check it back. On reflashing it came back to normal.

handfish

Jun 11, 2008
I have been trying to figure out what app caused the deep sleep issue. Note that I assume that with stock firmware and stock kernel, it should/would not have this deep sleep issue except the USB charging issue reported by many others.

I have LPF + root installed at the moment. Hard reset twice after flashing the rom using PC Odin. Also cleaned the cache twice. I assume this way the phone is clean.

Then, over the past week, I installed apps that I need one by one - one app per day. No deep sleep issue at all with the following apps running 24/7:

- Samsung AnyConnect VPN client 24/7 connected
- IMAP email using stock email client polling every 15 mins
- Stock Accuweather widget on TW launcher auto-updating using geo location every 3 hours
- Bluetooth 24/7
- Gmail full sync
- Whatsapp full sync
- IMO online 24/7 with four accounts

And:

- CPU spy used for checking deep sleep
- BetterBatteryStat for checking wake locks

Last night, 6.5 hours deep sleep like a baby used only a few % with all of the above.

Then, I went onto the next app - DirectoryBind. NO DEEP SLEEP since then. SuperSU log reports that DirectoryBind is requesting root permission every few minutes!!!!!

I have just uninstalled DirectoryBind and will see how it goes in the next day or so before I install another app.

If I have any news, I will post it here.

Something to note:

1) I did do the aeroplane mode + reboot + battery pull trick to avoid any deep sleep. Do a google search to find this out.

2) I only unplug the charger after I have unlocked the phone and the screen is on.

Hope the above helps.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I got deep sleep issue to which i did thorough verification. In my case it was because of application which enable mass usb storage in debugging mode. It would not allow phone to go to deep sleep. Even on uninstall the phone wouldnt go to deep sleep. THis is because this app unchecks checkbox which asks to connect as MTP or Camera device in USB debugging and you cannot check it back. On reflashing it came back to normal.

Could you share with us what app(s) do that? The fact that there is "no going back" bothers me a lot and I would like to avoid install any of such apps. Thanks.

Reactions: seaness

vcespon

Dec 10, 2007
Madrid
More feedback:

Yesterday I flashed LPY again but rooted using dr.ketan instructions (so I keep LPY official kernel and no yellow triangle). I've tried several times and now the phone goes into deep sleep state after being unplugged with screen off.

So try first with standard kernel.

Reactions: Att.Fan1982

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
I use the LPY rom together with LPF CF-Kernel. I had the wakelock problem too, resolved it by reflashing the kernel.

Sent from my Galaxy Note running ICS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this but I couldn't find one better :)

Anyway I have been reading on several ICS ROM threads about people experiencing that there note wouldn't go into deep sleep. I thaught it was only related to the ROM/Kernel being used I just learned thou that it can be caused by other things so why not try and compile a list.

How to check deep sleep state.
    Install CPU SPY

Explanation of Deep Sleep by vcespon

Cause.
    Corrupt skin for the "Super clock" in Beutiful widgets app.

Solution.
    Use other skin :D

From mikhan

From vcespon
    Cause: USB cable (Charging or connected to PC) unplugged while Screen off
    Solution 1: Reconnect USB cable and unplug with Screen ON
    Solution 2: Reboot phone

From handfish
    Cause: DirectoryBind
    Solution: Uninstall App

I'll take this oportunity to answer your question and also explain my findings.

I've seen this several times. You can plug-in again, and unplug with the screen on. Or reboot the phone.
    I have been trying to figure out what app caused the deep sleep issue. Note that I assume that with stock firmware and stock kernel, it should/would not have this deep sleep issue except the USB charging issue reported by many others.

I have LPF + root installed at the moment. Hard reset twice after flashing the rom using PC Odin. Also cleaned the cache twice. I assume this way the phone is clean.

Then, over the past week, I installed apps that I need one by one - one app per day. No deep sleep issue at all with the following apps running 24/7:

- Samsung AnyConnect VPN client 24/7 connected
    - IMAP email using stock email client polling every 15 mins
    - Stock Accuweather widget on TW launcher auto-updating using geo location every 3 hours
    - Bluetooth 24/7
    - Gmail full sync
    - Whatsapp full sync
    - IMO online 24/7 with four accounts

And:

- CPU spy used for checking deep sleep
    - BetterBatteryStat for checking wake locks

Last night, 6.5 hours deep sleep like a baby used only a few % with all of the above.

Then, I went onto the next app - DirectoryBind. NO DEEP SLEEP since then. SuperSU log reports that DirectoryBind is requesting root permission every few minutes!!!!!

I have just uninstalled DirectoryBind and will see how it goes in the next day or so before I install another app.

If I have any news, I will post it here.

Something to note:

1) I did do the aeroplane mode + reboot + battery pull trick to avoid any deep sleep. Do a google search to find this out.

2) I only unplug the charger after I have unlocked the phone and the screen is on.

Hope the above helps.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Could you share with us what app(s) do that? The fact that there is "no going back" bothers me a lot and I would like to avoid install any of such apps. Thanks.

One i came across is UMS.apk at location http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=24084600&postcount=113
    More feedback:

Yesterday I flashed LPY again but rooted using dr.ketan instructions (so I keep LPY official kernel and no yellow triangle). I've tried several times and now the phone goes into deep sleep state after being unplugged with screen off.

So try first with standard kernel.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone