Default Android Calendar

Search This thread

Abaddon_au

Nov 20, 2007
I've been using Gmail / Google Calendar for a while, so I was pretty excited to get an Android phone. I was rather spoilt though, as I'd been using Pocket Informant rather than the terrible Windows Mobile Calendar App. I really liked what I saw using the androidonhtc.com testing image.

Let's face it though, HTC's calendar app is an epic fail. The default Android calendar from the testing image was much better.

How can I reinstall the default android calendar? I've not been able to find a link to download the APK, and I did see one post saying someone hadn't been able to install it because there was a name conflict with the HTC cal.

I'm happy with the rest of TouchFLO - I don't want to go back to vanilla android, and I'm not terribly keen on a Hard-reset - but will if there's no other way.

Cheers,

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
I second that. Have been using pocketinformant on windowsmobile too, and can't understand why htc decided to implement the useless standard wm calender for the hero.
I definetly need the cupcake standard calender. Is there really no way to install it? Or is there a chance for pocketinformant Android version?

Abaddon_au

Nov 20, 2007
I'm not fussed about PI for Android - yes, it was good, but I think WebIS has gone for the market and is spending all of their effort developing for iPhone and blackberry.

The cupcake calendar had in its favour:
* Week view
* Proper day bars on the month view
* GCal look-and feel.

I'll be very happy if I can get it working instead.

Anyone?

Abaddon_au

Nov 20, 2007
Root your Hero and use adb push command to install the android default calender. Very easy and fully functional.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1784534/Android/Magic/Calendar.apk
Take a backup of the calender.apk and calender.odex if u change your mind...

Here's how, following the root article on theunlockr.com

I used Astro File Manager to backup the HTC Calendar.apk and Calendar.obex

Code:
abaddon@home: ~/androidsdk/tools$ ./fastboot devices
HT97GL903527	fastboot
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./adb shell mount /system
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./adb shell rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./adb shell rm /system/app/Calendar.odex
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./adb push Calendar.apk /system/app/
678 KB/s (325187 bytes in 0.468s)
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$ ./adb shell reboot
abaddon@home:~/androidsdk/tools$

The only thing that doesn't work properly is on the month view, the title bar reads "2$s, 3$s - 5$s, 6$s" instead of the proper date.

Thanks for the help!

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo
What is so different between the htc calendar and the cupcake calendar. i'm new to android and trying to learn if someone can past screenshots or something.

Is the cupcake calendar really better than the htc calendar?

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
the cupcake calendar will show time bars for each day in the month view. That way you can see on the first glance how many meetings you have for every day.

the htc celander will only show one FLAG, which basically says "you have 1 or many meetings on this date". This is completely useless in the month view.

In example i have a daily meeting at work, and therefore the htc calendar will show me a flag on each day. So every month is filled with flags on the month view and i can't see when i actually have more than the daily meeting coming.

btw: i don't want to root my device, don't have the time and nerves to fix everything if something goes wrong. Isn't there ANY other way to get the old calendar? cant i find it somewhere in the hero rom, and just change some link parameters to get it opened by default?

frandavid100

Aug 5, 2009
Valencia
Wow. The default calendar is SO MUCH faster and nicer.

Could we do the same for other apps, e.g. the alarm app or the contacts app? Can someone upload the .apk files for these?

tee aiy emm

Feb 27, 2009
Washington D.C.
The problem I'm having after pushing the cupcake calendar is that there is this big bar across the top of the screen with a plus sign on it. It looks like it's supposed to be a button but the cupcake calendar isn't drawing it correctly.
:/ So I cant see the first few hours in day view..
Any fix?

kalairn

Aug 23, 2009
hello guys is any chance anyone could put a step by step guide on how to put the orginal Calendar app onto the hero?

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
i think i'm taking the easy way out:

waiting for somebody to release a PI style calendar app. Shouldn't take too long i guess..

seanyowl

Aug 28, 2009
Stevenage
Dumb answer....

PI means personal information.... if this is wrong no doubt someone will mention that... if so see above

Tweedeldee

Aug 3, 2009
I second that. Some of your suggestion for solving this problem is quite hightech. I don't even know what you guys mean by "root"-ing the Hero... Isn't stuff like this a bit risky on the Hero?:eek:

"Root", on computer, means "Almighty administrator".
Rooting a Hero is just like removing Parental control to do funny things.
You can't do much on android without rooting :/
Risky... well, i'm pretty noob but i didn't had any problem. Just had to follow the steps explained on the rooting thread.

If you want to learn more about rooting, pros and cons, it's pretty well discussed on a bunch of threads around there. :)

licenced

Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

Has anyone performed the Calendar change on a Hero running the new Generic 2.4 ROM published by MoDaCo?

I followed the instructions both in this thread and the one linked to above - while the phone was in recovery mode I removed Calendar.apk and Calendar.obex from /system/app and then pushed a new Calendar.apk file over into /system/app from a Cupcake ROM I downloaded (signed-kila-ota-150275.53dde318.zip from android.clients.google.com).

However, when I rebooted my phone there was no calendar app showing.

I have PureCalendar installed which should launch Cupcake calendar on click, but that did nothing (I changed the appropriate setting).

Trying the HTC Calendar widgets just caused an error - as they expect the HTC Calendar I imagine.

Thinking I might also need the Calendar.odex file I pushed that over, but with the same results.

I'm now back with the HTC Calendar (thank goodness I took a backup).

Any ideas? Do I need to install the new Calendar.apk (using Linda or similar?) to make it available? Was I using a bad version of Cupcake?

Any ideas welcome.

Dave