Question Defect hands-free microphone?

Search This thread

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
With the speakerphone, others hear me terrible if I speak at a distance of one meter or more, it cuts my words.
At greater distances it is unusable.
I have already had it changed, the replacement model also has the same defect.
But few find this defect, any ideas?

In assistance they told me that it has no hardware problems and they encountered problems with the Vodafone VoLTE. But I doubt that the VoLTE can only affect the quality of the speakerphone at certain distances.

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
I forgot, I don't use any cover, the phone I have it as well as Samsung did it.
Obviously already tried a hard reset, this second model had the defect just turned on without having set up any account.

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
Another thing I noticed: if I cover the main microphone during a hands-free call (I used some very simple adhesive tape), others hear me great even at 3-4 meters away.
It's like the noise reduction algorithm is canceling my voice.

peterg21

Dec 9, 2011
For what it is worth, two people have commented on the poor quality of my speakerphone (I sound tinny and very hollow) and one of the review sites had this to say (and I doubt they were using a case):

" Overall, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra’s call quality was very clear and relatively low in noise, at least as long as it was used on earphone. When used on speakerphone, on the other hand, the results were not as great, with a bit of a nasal twang and a microphone range that already started to show dropouts at arm’s length. "

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Smartphone Review: Improved in many ways, but not all - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Reactions: Dave83

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
What I don't understand is why this defect is not found by everyone. There are users who manage to use the speakerphone even from 3-4 meters away.
Even if I raise my voice, a meter and a half is a disaster.
I have already had the device replaced once, but I have received one with the same defect.

Sep 19, 2016
Your description sounds like my problems with my Note 10+ Exynos a year ago. Low frequency sounds were kinda cut off and the sound was way worse than I've heard in the tests of that phone. That could be an old problem since I read that the stereo microphones keep to noise cancel each other. When I blocked the main microphone the sound quality of my recordings increased and so on. And no further option to control anything - typical Samsung.

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
That's right, the problem is just the same.
With the phone up to an arm away they understand me, beyond it becomes a big problem, at one meter - and a half meters they hear only a few syllables.
With all the other smartphones I have tried (iPhone 12 Mini, Redmi Note 9S, Samsung Galaxy A40) at the same distance they hear me perfectly, but I am sure it is the same with any other smartphone that is not a top of the Samsung range of the last 2 years.

In fact, this problem has been reported by several users on the Italian Samsung community already for the Note 10 and S20 series. Is it possible that even in other communities in other states there are no complaints about it?

This is the threads:

And above all, it is possible that no reviewer points out such a defect, which in my opinion is huge and unacceptable on a 1300 € device.

peterg21

Dec 9, 2011
This is one example:
first 10 seconds at 40cm away
from 15 to 20 seconds at 1m away
from 27 to 33 seconds even further away

I appreciate your tenacity and I was in on this thread earlier. Since I posted on this thread I did some tests with someone. Yes, the tinny and hollow sound still exists of course but tests roughly 2 Metres away I am told there are no dropouts (Snapdragon 888). That said, why don't you go into any number of TIM or Vodaphone stores in Italy and I am sure one or two of them will be willing to test this on one of their display models (assuming they are not dummies) and go from there? You have had two phones in a row showing the same defect. Perhaps after #3 or #4 displaying the same behaviour you will either learn to work around the limitations of the speakerphone or find another solution (change to another model).

Dave83

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
I went directly to a Samsung service center, and not just any one, but to the main one in my city and country.
For them the problem does not exist, from the tests carried out the microphones have no problems and for them the fault could be VoLTE or the quality of the line.
There are several users who for over a year have been waiting for a fix from Samsung on other models that does not arrive, simply because for Samsung there is no problem.
I have had the opportunity to try three S21 Ultra and they behave in the same way, I think it is useless to waste time changing it again or getting other models from Samsung, since I like this S21 Ultra speakerphone aside.

Reactions: peterg21

Sep 19, 2016
I went directly to a Samsung service center, and not just any one, but to the main one in my city and country.
For them the problem does not exist, from the tests carried out the microphones have no problems and for them the fault could be VoLTE or the quality of the line.
There are several users who for over a year have been waiting for a fix from Samsung on other models that does not arrive, simply because for Samsung there is no problem.
I have had the opportunity to try three S21 Ultra and they behave in the same way, I think it is useless to waste time changing it again or getting other models from Samsung, since I like this S21 Ultra speakerphone aside.

The thing is that Samsung phones were pretty much without any problem when it comes to microphone quality. I had a Galaxy S7 Edge and the microphone was fine. After that something changed ... they should've keep it that way back then and we all wouldn't have any problem.

Reactions: Dave83

albertomarco

Mar 1, 2021
I confirm i have the same issue. Galaxy s21 Ultra purchased in Italy.
It looks like something fixable software side, i hope they'll fix it soon, in my opinion It is unacceptable for a 1300€ phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For what it is worth, two people have commented on the poor quality of my speakerphone (I sound tinny and very hollow) and one of the review sites had this to say (and I doubt they were using a case):

" Overall, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra’s call quality was very clear and relatively low in noise, at least as long as it was used on earphone. When used on speakerphone, on the other hand, the results were not as great, with a bit of a nasal twang and a microphone range that already started to show dropouts at arm’s length. "

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Smartphone Review: Improved in many ways, but not all - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
    This is one example:
    first 10 seconds at 40cm away
    from 15 to 20 seconds at 1m away
    from 27 to 33 seconds even further away

The thing is that Samsung phones were pretty much without any problem when it comes to microphone quality. I had a Galaxy S7 Edge and the microphone was fine. After that something changed ... they should've keep it that way back then and we all wouldn't have any problem.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone