Question Defect or normal - ultra wide raw quality

Search This thread

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
Hi, bought the phone 2 days ago, because it's not with 888, it's not with curved display and has a ultra wide camera with AF and macro capabilities with raw support.
To my surprise, the quality of the raw file from the ultra wide is worse than from the periscope - there are some strange bright dots when you zoom in to 100%, which lead to overall bad quality of the ready image. I guess they are the phase focus pixels, but they shouldn't be visible without any heavy editing.
So, is it just me, or the problem is global, so I know how to proceed with this? I'm leaving a crop depicting the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_094345354 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210905_094345354 (1).jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 361
Reactions: Milica84

Qidamin

Aug 17, 2015
I don't see it mentioned anywhere but as you have the phone you should know it better than me! ;)

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
I tried the latest bsg, but removed it, cause the results weren't satisfactory or better than using the stock app as a real camera.

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
The battle is legendary. Still no success defeating the defect. If it is a demozaicing problem, Motorola should fix it.

sazinas

Sep 15, 2008
In a land of my own
The battle is legendary. Still no success defeating the defect. If it is a demozaicing problem, Motorola should fix it.
THanks for the reply. I wonder how happy you are overall with the cameras? I've found that the front facing one is quite dark and has WB issues. In general the photos coming out of the stock camera seem riddled with artifacts and oversharpened.

fire159

Jan 15, 2011
isfahan
THanks for the reply. I wonder how happy you are overall with the cameras? I've found that the front facing one is quite dark and has WB issues. In general the photos coming out of the stock camera seem riddled with artifacts and oversharpened.
Camera Is great as I see in reviews from owners and websites .

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
I don't even bother shooting in jpg, this is Motorola and they suck in camera performance and resolution logic.
But, I shoot raw, which is possible even with the selfie cam, and after a minute of editing I get sharp and impressive images, and that's why I bought it - the sensors itself are quite capable. If I find a solution to the problem with the ultrawide, the phone is a keeper...

sazinas

Sep 15, 2008
In a land of my own
I don't even bother shooting in jpg, this is Motorola and they suck in camera performance and resolution logic.
But, I shoot raw, which is possible even with the selfie cam, and after a minute of editing I get sharp and impressive images, and that's why I bought it - the sensors itself are quite capable. If I find a solution to the problem with the ultrawide, the phone is a keeper...
I hate the selfie cam and when video calling tho.... I look like a waterpainting and tanned

fire159

Jan 15, 2011
isfahan
Have you try Google cam ?

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
Answered already here. Jpg from phones and actual cameras suck. The raw from gcam is also worse than using the phone as a real camera. Here's an example, learn photography if you expect miracles from a tiny sensor...

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_210314518.jpg
    IMG_20210911_210314518.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 223
Reactions: sazinas

sazinas

Sep 15, 2008
In a land of my own
Answered already here. Jpg from phones and actual cameras suck. The raw from gcam is also worse than using the phone as a real camera. Here's an example, learn photography if you expect miracles from a tiny sensor...
Hasli's LMC Google camera mod seems to be working better with the wide angle cam (no artifacts)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211008-213916-942.png
    Screenshot_20211008-213916-942.png
    849.9 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: bo6o

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, bought the phone 2 days ago, because it's not with 888, it's not with curved display and has a ultra wide camera with AF and macro capabilities with raw support.
    To my surprise, the quality of the raw file from the ultra wide is worse than from the periscope - there are some strange bright dots when you zoom in to 100%, which lead to overall bad quality of the ready image. I guess they are the phase focus pixels, but they shouldn't be visible without any heavy editing.
    So, is it just me, or the problem is global, so I know how to proceed with this? I'm leaving a crop depicting the problem.
    You are right, the Edge 20 review on GSMArena mentions the AF for wide angle. A good thing, but it's strange that the ultra wide angle pictures seem a bit blurry then. Did you try with Gcam?
    Tried gcam, same story...
    I hate the selfie cam and when video calling tho.... I look like a waterpainting and tanned
    Learn to make your own jpg and you'll be able to see the dirt in your wrinkles on the selfies.
    Hasli's LMC Google camera mod seems to be working better with the wide angle cam (no artifacts)