• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Defect power button.

Search This thread

Aightu

Aug 2, 2009
Tilburg
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hey guys.

Ive been having a lot of trouble with my power button. At first it became less responsive (Having to push the button 2-3 times to activate the screen).
Now it seems like it is not working at all (Having to push 6-7 times).

Anyone seen this problem before and knows of a way to fix it?
Or does anyone know a workaround? (Like using the search button to act like the power button perhaps?)

Thanks in advance.

FH-CS

Jan 6, 2009
Tampa
I don't really have any suggestions on how to fix the power button itself, but I do have a few workarounds if you're interested

The first is Smart Screen ON. This app was featured on the main portal not too long ago, and I have to say, it works quite well. It uses the proximity sensor to turn the screen on and (optionally) off. In the span of two weeks, it's saved my phone over 2000 power button presses (the app keeps track). I have been running the app 24/7 since I installed it and have not noticed any impact on battery life. I'd say it's worth a try.

As an alternative, you may have some luck with ButtonRemapper (requires root). It should let you remap the search button like you had wanted. You could just edit the keyboard files directly, but this app makes it pretty simple. : )

Also, in case you didn't know, the home button will wake the phone by default, but it obviously doesn't turn the screen back off.

Last edited:

AwaisKhan

Apr 20, 2011
Manchester
Hey guys.

Ive been having a lot of trouble with my power button. At first it became less responsive (Having to push the button 2-3 times to activate the screen).
Now it seems like it is not working at all (Having to push 6-7 times).

Anyone seen this problem before and knows of a way to fix it?
Or does anyone know a workaround? (Like using the search button to act like the power button perhaps?)

Thanks in advance.

Happens to me, i just got a wooden splint, cleaned the inside, sucked it out (the dirt) & banged it a few times, now works like a charm

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

clewis

Apr 19, 2011
London
dlb-network.com
Same thing with me mine is fully broken my work around is download button rempaper and I have made the search button act as the power button.

This is great but to turn my phone on I have to plug it into a charger and launch into Cwm then click reboot phone.

Reactions: Aightu

Aightu

Aug 2, 2009
Tilburg
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
Same thing with me mine is fully broken my work around is download button rempaper and I have made the search button act as the power button.

This is great but to turn my phone on I have to plug it into a charger and launch into Cwm then click reboot phone.

Thats what im trying to avoid.
What program did you use to remap the button?

Thanks for the info man!

Last edited:

clewis

Apr 19, 2011
London
dlb-network.com
Yeah it's a ***** how the phone only lasts a year before it starts breaking but glad i can get rid of it in 2 months.

I use ButtonRemapper, i take it you have root access so just download the .APK i have attached and its pretty simple just find the search key in the app and change it so it acts like the power button (It's simply you will get it when you open the app). Once you have done that the phone works fine when in normal use you just gotta tap the search button not the power button.

But as my power button is fully broken im not sure if the power button works if the phone turns off. So my work around is plug the charger in then when you see the sony logo keep taping the volume down until you launch in CWM and then just tap reboot now and it will boot up, hope this helps.

It's the only work around without having to spend money i could think off, so defiantly a good temp fix.

Attachments

• ButtonRemapper_v0_2.4.1.apk
    51.6 KB · Views: 492
Reactions: Aightu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah it's a ***** how the phone only lasts a year before it starts breaking but glad i can get rid of it in 2 months.

I use ButtonRemapper, i take it you have root access so just download the .APK i have attached and its pretty simple just find the search key in the app and change it so it acts like the power button (It's simply you will get it when you open the app). Once you have done that the phone works fine when in normal use you just gotta tap the search button not the power button.

But as my power button is fully broken im not sure if the power button works if the phone turns off. So my work around is plug the charger in then when you see the sony logo keep taping the volume down until you launch in CWM and then just tap reboot now and it will boot up, hope this helps.

It's the only work around without having to spend money i could think off, so defiantly a good temp fix.