Defy's Flashlight has dead.

lackyking

Aug 5, 2009
Wuxi
Hi all, my defy's flashlight has been dead.:(:(

When I used the UK 3.4.2 froyo, the battery not saving.
Then I flashed to the Chinese froyo via nandroid. I took two photos with the system camera. Found that the flashlight was so dim.
Immediately, I flashed back the UK rom. But used the camera, the LED doesn't light no longer. :mad:

Is it the driver problem or LED has been damaged?

I need the flashlight!

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
I guess its damaged if you are back to stock and also before it was somehow "dimmed" and now not working. Also check if its not disabled in the camera settings. Good luck!

K r i ll e

Dec 17, 2010
I think the chinese rom actually kills the flash if you try it to many times. Must be a voltage thing.
Mine is dead to, and that happend the third time on chinese froyo.

Sent from my Defy

reinsen

Dec 26, 2010
Bochum
like krille said its probably a voltage thing.

in a german android forum someone wrote the same, providing "proof" by mentioning, that in china the defy is named ME525 instead of MB525 in europe/us. could be a hint to different hardware.

im not too familiar with LED technology but "killing" the LED with a higher voltage would exclude the possibility to "revive" it by using a different firmware, right?

naenee

Apr 29, 2008
If the LED has been damaged by too high a voltage, I do not see how any software can make it work again. It would be like saying that a CPU, after being damaged using a software overclocking tool, can be fixed by running a program; It's just not possible.

shady_lanem

Aug 11, 2010
Borneo
I thought the same too. Guess for the unfortunate ones like us will be stuck with damaged flash. After all, these tweaking came with early warning of do at your own risk. No one to blame but ourselves :(

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
So this would be a good sticky for every non Chinese Defy user.
I mean there are a lot of ROMs outside which use the chinese one as base.
If some one has no clue that it could kill the LED..
This is a bad thing ;)

K r i ll e

Dec 17, 2010
Yeah a warning and a notice of caution should be mentioned when dealing with the chineses froyo if you use the Flash-LED.

All I can do now (and maybe everyone else with the problem) is to hope the earpiece stops working so I can get it repaired or replaced lol.
As long as you leave no evidence of rooting or flashing your phone when sending it in I guess you could try to get it repaired for just the faulty LED.

Do you dare ;)

Last edited:

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
Yeah a warning and a notice of caution should be mentioned when dealing with the chineses froyo if you use the Flash-LED.

All I can do now (and maybe everyone else with the problem) is to hope the earpiece stops working so I can get it repaired or replaced lol.
As long as you leave no evidence of rooting or flashing your phone when sending it in I guess you could try to get it repaired for just the faulty LED.

Do you dare ;)
Just flash it back to default sbf which was on your phone when buying it. Do a wipe before! Should get replaced, but still nasty to do so :) I tried to contact a mod so this information get a sticky ..

shady_lanem

Aug 11, 2010
Borneo
This blows :( But my friend managed to get his replaced with a new one after failing a water resistant test lol. Can try search youtube for 'defy water resistant fail' ;) Should I try the same luck?

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
So this would be a good sticky for every non Chinese Defy user.
Doesn't really seem any more deserving that the fixes for the camera, the 3G bands, haptic feedback etc.

If any old guide/fix starts being stickied, this section will quickly become unnavigable.

reinsen

Dec 26, 2010
Bochum
Doesn't really seem any more deserving that the fixes for the camera, the 3G bands, haptic feedback etc.

If any old guide/fix starts being stickied, this section will quickly become unnavigable.
in fact it does seem more deserving. the problem with the chinese rom is, that it damages your phones hardware. there is no software fix for it, so anyone thinking about flashing chinese 2.2 should be warned that there is a risk of killing his phones LED.

xabierd

Jul 17, 2008
I am using higgsy's method to keep downgradability on my phone, the base is chinese froyo, it has US devtree.sbf and uk rom, over that I installed pay's rom.

Should I remove every bit of chinese froyo or am I ok with my setup?