Defy's Flashlight has dead.

Search This thread

lackyking

Aug 5, 2009
Wuxi
Hi all, my defy's flashlight has been dead.:(:(

When I used the UK 3.4.2 froyo, the battery not saving.
Then I flashed to the Chinese froyo via nandroid. I took two photos with the system camera. Found that the flashlight was so dim.
Immediately, I flashed back the UK rom. But used the camera, the LED doesn't light no longer. :mad:

Is it the driver problem or LED has been damaged?

I need the flashlight!

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
I guess its damaged if you are back to stock and also before it was somehow "dimmed" and now not working. Also check if its not disabled in the camera settings. Good luck!

K r i ll e

Dec 17, 2010
I think the chinese rom actually kills the flash if you try it to many times. Must be a voltage thing.
Mine is dead to, and that happend the third time on chinese froyo.

Sent from my Defy

laoabro

Jan 29, 2011
桂林-Guilin
I flashed it last time and at the beginning,the camera and the light worked well,and after i tried a few times ,the light didnt work,then i flash back UK2.2,It works again. Good luck!

reinsen

Dec 26, 2010
Bochum
like krille said its probably a voltage thing.

in a german android forum someone wrote the same, providing "proof" by mentioning, that in china the defy is named ME525 instead of MB525 in europe/us. could be a hint to different hardware.

im not too familiar with LED technology but "killing" the LED with a higher voltage would exclude the possibility to "revive" it by using a different firmware, right?

naenee

Apr 29, 2008
Google Pixel 6
If the LED has been damaged by too high a voltage, I do not see how any software can make it work again. It would be like saying that a CPU, after being damaged using a software overclocking tool, can be fixed by running a program; It's just not possible.

shady_lanem

Aug 11, 2010
Borneo
I thought the same too. Guess for the unfortunate ones like us will be stuck with damaged flash. After all, these tweaking came with early warning of do at your own risk. No one to blame but ourselves :(

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
So this would be a good sticky for every non Chinese Defy user.
I mean there are a lot of ROMs outside which use the chinese one as base.
If some one has no clue that it could kill the LED..
This is a bad thing ;)

K r i ll e

Dec 17, 2010
Yeah a warning and a notice of caution should be mentioned when dealing with the chineses froyo if you use the Flash-LED.

All I can do now (and maybe everyone else with the problem) is to hope the earpiece stops working so I can get it repaired or replaced lol.
As long as you leave no evidence of rooting or flashing your phone when sending it in I guess you could try to get it repaired for just the faulty LED.

Do you dare ;)

Last edited:

PaY87

Nov 25, 2006
Yeah a warning and a notice of caution should be mentioned when dealing with the chineses froyo if you use the Flash-LED.

All I can do now (and maybe everyone else with the problem) is to hope the earpiece stops working so I can get it repaired or replaced lol.
As long as you leave no evidence of rooting or flashing your phone when sending it in I guess you could try to get it repaired for just the faulty LED.

Do you dare ;)

Just flash it back to default sbf which was on your phone when buying it. Do a wipe before! Should get replaced, but still nasty to do so :) I tried to contact a mod so this information get a sticky ..

shady_lanem

Aug 11, 2010
Borneo
This blows :( But my friend managed to get his replaced with a new one after failing a water resistant test lol. Can try search youtube for 'defy water resistant fail' ;) Should I try the same luck?

the|gamer

Sep 27, 2009
Rhineland-Palatinate
@reinsen someone ist me ;)

I think the Defy from China has minimal diffrent Hardware then the European one!

Chinese Defy has possibility do connect a Lanyard ...

Sry, bad english ;)

reinsen

Dec 26, 2010
Bochum
Doesn't really seem any more deserving that the fixes for the camera, the 3G bands, haptic feedback etc.

If any old guide/fix starts being stickied, this section will quickly become unnavigable.

in fact it does seem more deserving. the problem with the chinese rom is, that it damages your phones hardware. there is no software fix for it, so anyone thinking about flashing chinese 2.2 should be warned that there is a risk of killing his phones LED.

xabierd

Jul 17, 2008
Google Pixel 6
I am using higgsy's method to keep downgradability on my phone, the base is chinese froyo, it has US devtree.sbf and uk rom, over that I installed pay's rom.

Should I remove every bit of chinese froyo or am I ok with my setup?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, a handful of people think it might've. That's not the same.

Of the scores/hundreds/thousands(?) of Defy users on here who have flashed the Chinese Froyo ROM, 4 or 5 people in this thread seem to have had issues with the flash, hardly conclusive.
    And at least one person has apparently been able to fix their LED by flashing back to a different ROM, which cannot possibly be the case if the LED had been blown due to too high a voltage.

in the german android forum there were far more ppl with these kind of issues.
    and ive not heard of users of other roms with this problem. doesnt look like a coincidence.
    as we dont know of the complete constellation of this problem to occur, based on the knowledge we have, the chinese sbf is a factor to consider.

and that someone thinks to have solved a hardwareproblem with software... i guess its more likely that he never had the hardware issue to begin with. maybe another problem with similar symptomes.
    I speak spanish (you are from Argentina).

La pregunta es, que si se ha de tener activada la luz/Flash para ver el punto negro o si el punto negro es siempre visible? (aunque no esté activada la luz/linterna)?

No me dio ningún error, simplemente no se encendió el Flash / did not show any error, just did not work the flash.

En mi caso, el Flash no funciona, pero cuando lo enciendo, se puede apreciar una mini-luz muy muy pequeña, por debajo del 1 % de potencia que tenía al principio / In my case, the Flash does not work, but when I run it, you can see a mini-light very very small, less than 1% of power was at first

Thank you

EDIT: In my defy, I see no black spot .. but maybe I should compare it with another Defy to appreciate the difference. There is a picture/photo to see the difference?

Ok, entonces tu led no esta quemado. El punto negro se tiene que ver siempre. Pero si decis que tenes algun tipo de luz en algun momento, me suena a algun problema interno. No estoy seguro de como esta alimentado el LED: puede ser alimentado por un pin de GPIO, o por un regulador. Si es el caso del regulador, puede que haya un conflicto con el driver (baseband o lo que sea, creo). En este caso se puede quemar el led si el regulador puede entregar mas voltaje de lo apropiado.
    Si es un pin GPIO, el LED no se puede quemar jamaz, ya que este pin solo puede prenderse o apagarse, con voltajes fijos.

Ok, then your LED is not burnt. The black dot has to be there forever. But if you say that you got some kind of light at some point, it sounds like some internal problem. I'm not sure how this fed into the LED can be powered by a GPIO pin, or a regulator. If the regulator is the case, there may be a conflict with the driver (baseband or whatever, I think). In this case you can burn the LED if the voltage regulator can deliver more than appropriate.
    If a GPIO pin, the LED can not be burned, because this pin can only be turned on or off, with fixed voltages.
    google translate said:
    First, remove the battery, SIM card and memory card, mobile phone with a T5 screwdriver to screw the sides and top of the 9 removed the back cover the phone apart.

Second, the flash is the hot melt in the back cover, so use the blade to slowly cut off the three gel-point, and then remove the flash PCB assembly (be careful not to cut around to the back cover or may not waterproof)

Third, the LED cover cut with a blade down, and then blowing hot air gun under the LED chip. High temperature adhesive tape with a small piece of the pad will be posted up by the cathode, the other three after the solder paste coated pads will creeLED paste pad, over reflow furnace. ,

Four, painted around 705 in the LED plastic lens and then processed (grinding thin, hole expansion), cast clinched LED. .

Fifth, in half an hour after the glue dried LED flash Replace the back cover, the location of the three columns marked with 705 plastic glue. ,

VI Adhesive will cover installed, remove the nine screws lock, replacement LED success,,,

Note: There are three joints in the PCB are linked, a separate LED that is positive, next to the pad to use separate high temperature adhesive tape. Sure to remove the LED in the square before the EVA blowing hot air heat gun to take down.

Cree LED is used by R2, XP-E Series color temperature 4300-5000K, outdoor white. The maximum LED current up to 1000mA,
    Open with a camera flash, the current is only 35mA, very bright, should not be burned out.
    I was in the general environment for, and the screen and the motherboard up with plastic bags just fine. Not into the ash.

is it so hard to use google? :(
    I sent in my defy with broken LED to Motorola.

"Their unit had an unofficial firmware. We would like to point out that this situation leads to an exclusion of warranty. Your device, we have repaired after consultation with Motorola with 100% participation grace. We recommend future only authorized software updates to play on your device."

:D
    China proved it again.. :)