Question Delayed notification problems S21 Ultra

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
  • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
  • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
  • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.
I haven't experienced anything like this on my Nexus to Pixel (with iPhone) to Samsung S21 Ultra now.
But, yeah, in another 2 years, I'll be probably be switching to an iPhone.
With every passing day, iPhone/Apple keeps winning and winning.
I'll still stick to a Windows machine as my main workstation, but, Apple is now poised to become the biggest monopoly the US has ever seen. Give it another 5-10 years.
General consumers may be sheep but they aren't that stupid.
Apple has mastered the low-hanging fruit and basics that Google still hasn't mastered -- the general message is that closed proprietary ecosystems are "winning".

Last edited:

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
I'm having the delayed notification problem.

I'm also having a completely missing notification problem when it comes to Google Calendar event notifications.

If I turn on my previous phone that still runs all my apps, it still faithfully triggers for every single Google Calendar Notification..

But not my S21 Ultra. It sometimes will display calendar notifications, but usually doesn't.

Problem is I've no idea what setting *could* affect whether the S21 Ultra will display Google Calendar Notifications.

Looking at the list of "Most recent" App notifications, I see Google Calendar was 14 hours ago (this morning). But I've had several Calendar events since then that should have triggered, but the S21 Ultra completely ignores them?

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Can you guys try turning off any and all battery optimization tools to see if that helps?

What are the names of the different battery optimization tools?

I'm going to try this but I don't want to forget any of the terms to search for in settings. I've already turned off "optimize battery usage" for the problem apps but the issue keeps happening.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
What are the names of the different battery optimization tools?

I'm going to try this but I don't want to forget any of the terms to search for in settings. I've already turned off "optimize battery usage" for the problem apps but the issue keeps happening.
Only touch the stuff under "Settings" > "Battery and device care" > "Battery".
Under "Background usage limits", uncheck "Put unused apps to sleep".
Then, go back to "Battery" and under "More battery settings", uncheck "Adaptive battery".

Don't touch anything under "Settings" > "Apps" > ⋮ > "Special access" > "Optimize battery usage".

The reason I'm saying this is that, AFAIK and from what I've heard, the "Optimize battery usage" setting is a directive understood by the apps themselves. The apps determine what happens and what they do when they want to "Optimize battery usage". That's basically how it should be unless you're installing some seriously misbehaving apps.

Make sure you close all apps, shut down your phone, and power it on again after doing this.

Following this, I have not encountered any delayed notifications, even on Messenger (though, I am leaving it for WhatsApp/Signal/E2EE_RCS). I have also not faced any standby or general battery life issues. When I'm home, I keep the battery around 50% to maximize its long-term health/longevity.

Please let us know if you still encounter issues.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Doesn't work. Have them all off and still no instant notifications while the screen is off.
Please try this:
Only touch the stuff under "Settings" > "Battery and device care" > "Battery".
Under "Background usage limits", uncheck "Put unused apps to sleep".
Then, go back to "Battery" and under "More battery settings", uncheck "Adaptive battery".

Don't touch anything under "Settings" > "Apps" > ⋮ > "Special access" > "Optimize battery usage".

The reason I'm saying this is that, AFAIK and from what I've heard, the "Optimize battery usage" setting is a directive understood by the apps themselves. The apps determine what happens and what they do when they want to "Optimize battery usage". That's basically how it should be unless you're installing some seriously misbehaving apps.

Make sure you close all apps, shut down your phone, and power it on again after doing this.

Following this, I have not encountered any delayed notifications, even on Messenger (though, I am leaving it for WhatsApp/Signal/E2EE_RCS). I have also not faced any standby or general battery life issues. When I'm home, I keep the battery around 50% to maximize its long-term health/longevity.

Please let us know if you still encounter issues.

Also, does using AOD help? I have it off but I wonder if that is part of the problem here.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
If nothing works, then does pinning the app into RAM help you guys?
If not, then, just speak and use your wallet also: tell Samsung and Google you're leaving and buy an iPhone instead.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I take back what I said.
I'm getting GMail and Google Calendars notification delays or a complete unreliability / lack of on my S21U.
Samsung needs to fix this ASAP.
Can someone raise a fuss about this on the Samsung Community forums?

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
A question for the people experiencing this issue:

Do you have other/secondary Android devices active on the same account that you're waiting for the notifications for on your main phone?

Basically, is more than 1 Android device waiting for notifications?

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
WOW. If Google/Samsung don't fix this issue, then, my next phone will most definitely be an iPhone.

10 years and Android still can't do the basics.

My Pixel gets notifications just fine, but, not my Samsung S21 Ultra.

I'm now testing to see if leaving AOD ON will help.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    WOW. If Google/Samsung don't fix this issue, then, my next phone will most definitely be an iPhone.

10 years and Android still can't do the basics.

My Pixel gets notifications just fine, but, not my Samsung S21 Ultra.

I'm now testing to see if leaving AOD ON will help.
    Lmao. Brother, this is strictly a Samsung issue - not a Google issue. And the funny thing is that in the marketing and software changes field, Samsung literally copies Apple lol. So you'd be going from one failure company (in this category) to another and complaining about similar problems.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
    A question for the people experiencing this issue:

Do you have other/secondary Android devices active on the same account that you're waiting for the notifications for on your main phone?

Basically, is more than 1 Android device waiting for notifications?

Unlike my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (which has the notification problem), my old Android phone notifications work immediately for the very same Google Calendar events. That's what really perked my interest - it's the very same event, but the phones handle it differently.

I have my old phone (LG G6) turned on and immediately see all notifications, including Google Calendar events. But the S21 Ultra simply misses the Google Calendar events and is delayed for emails or other things. It's a relatively recent situation, perhaps within the last month I noticed it getting really bad.

It's unacceptable to completely miss a notification! Especially for Google Calendar events that are time-critical!

Could this be a bug in the version of Google Calendar for the S21 Ultra? Or is there a setting in the S21 Ultra that could affect Google calendar event notifications?

The infuriating part is it's impossible to tell *WHICH SETTINGS* are causing the missed notifications. It's also infuriating that simply rebooting the phone seems to bring back the problem - with no changes to the settings!

This reminds me of the bluetooth volume bug, where it ignores your bluetooth volume limiter settings when you reboot (and lowers the volume upon to connecting to bluetooth audio devices, despite setting the limiter to max, or turning off the limiter.

When I followed the instructions to disable all power savings (see link to instructions in earlier posts above), I got a couple of my Google Calendar Notifications for that day, but not all.

But after rebooting my phone last night, I no longer receive any Google Calendar Notifications. I verified my power savings options still remain off after the reboot, so I cannot tell what might have changed between yesterday when things worked temporarily, and today after my reboot when the notifications no longer work.

I'm waiting for the May update before doing a factory reset.

Last edited:

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
    Lmao. Brother, this is strictly a Samsung issue - not a Google issue. And the funny thing is that in the marketing and software changes field, Samsung literally copies Apple lol. So you'd be going from one failure company (in this category) to another and complaining about similar problems.
    Are you saying that iPhones have similar problems with notifications?

Seems like you're partly right, I guess: https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+notifications+not+working

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Are you saying that iPhones have similar problems with notifications?

Seems like you're partly right, I guess: https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+notifications+not+working
    I wasn't referring to notification problems specifically, but I suppose that can be a problem on different platforms. But heck, who knows. Maybe Apple will get better in the near future as they're soon to be reamed by the US government due to the growing exposure of how much money they've been stealing from what they call their "customers" for quite a while. But that specific category of problems would fall under the umbrella term of, "Right to Repair" though, haha.

As for your weird notification problem, it seems that it could be tied to two things; one of which is an Android thing, the other of which is a Samsung problem. I'll number these two things just below:

1. Android thing --> Do you have Sync turned on?
    2. Samsung Problem --> Do you have any of Samsung's battery optimization features enabled (like any of their "background usage limits" features)?

These are the two things that pop into my head. I know that some Google apps rely specifically on Sync being enabled in order to fetch inbound notifications (but I usually turn my Sync off as I don't need active Gmail notifications). Things like Google Calendar don't need Sync enabled to give notifications, however, they do need Sync enabled in order to push through any calendar/event changes that you make on your phone (because if you make these changes on your phone with Sync disabled, those very changes wouldn't appear to be made at all if you were to login to the same account on a computer).

As for Samsung's battery optimization features, I feel like this is the primary cause of the issue. Granted, I still get a good majority of my notifications, however, oddly enough I occasionally get fake notifications from Snapchat which isn't set to be put in sleep or deep sleep mode... I do happen to have the "put unused apps to sleep" feature enabled though - so I wouldn't be too surprised if it's this very feature that's causing a majority of these notification issues.

Anyway, I think that some other members here have already mentioned that "put unused apps to sleep" battery feature and so I'm not sure if this would be of any help... But best of luck and let me know if you find a definitive solution!

*Edit* - Woops, I thought you were the OP for some reason. My apologies, but I guess my post still applies lol 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    I wasn't referring to notification problems specifically, but I suppose that can be a problem on different platforms. But heck, who knows. Maybe Apple will get better in the near future as they're soon to be reamed by the US government due to the growing exposure of how much money they've been stealing from what they call their "customers" for quite a while. But that specific category of problems would fall under the umbrella term of, "Right to Repair" though, haha.

As for your weird notification problem, it seems that it could be tied to two things; one of which is an Android thing, the other of which is a Samsung problem. I'll number these two things just below:

1. Android thing --> Do you have Sync turned on?
    2. Samsung Problem --> Do you have any of Samsung's battery optimization features enabled (like any of their "background usage limits" features)?

These are the two things that pop into my head. I know that some Google apps rely specifically on Sync being enabled in order to fetch inbound notifications (but I usually turn my Sync off as I don't need active Gmail notifications). Things like Google Calendar don't need Sync enabled to give notifications, however, they do need Sync enabled in order to push through any calendar/event changes that you make on your phone (because if you make these changes on your phone with Sync disabled, those very changes wouldn't appear to be made at all if you were to login to the same account on a computer).

As for Samsung's battery optimization features, I feel like this is the primary cause of the issue. Granted, I still get a good majority of my notifications, however, oddly enough I occasionally get fake notifications from Snapchat which isn't set to be put in sleep or deep sleep mode... I do happen to have the "put unused apps to sleep" feature enabled though - so I wouldn't be too surprised if it's this very feature that's causing a majority of these notification issues.

Anyway, I think that some other members here have already mentioned that "put unused apps to sleep" battery feature and so I'm not sure if this would be of any help... But best of luck and let me know if you find a definitive solution!

*Edit* - Woops, I thought you were the OP for some reason. My apologies, but I guess my post still applies lol 🤷‍♂️
    Easy to verify : whitelist the app you suspect it's being suspended.
    I used to have the exact same type of problem on Huawei mate 20 pro and I ended up adb disabling PowerGenie (their task manager that killed apps like crazy).

Looks similar to me..although the part about Google forcing users to keep sync on would not surprise either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      iOS and Android need to make it easier for consumer to debug this problem.
      This is the crux of my frustration with the issue - you cannot tell what is causing it, and each party will just point fingers at the other (t-mobile says it's Google, Google says it's Samsung, Samsung says it's t-mobile, round and round...)
      Sitting with the exact same issue and gone through all settings. Must be missing something.
      Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
      • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
      • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
      • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
      Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.
      My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?
      Its not a network issue for me because im referring to twitter, facebook, whatsapp etc not sms messages.

Never had this issue with the iphone. Its my only complaint with the S21 Ultra but sadly its a big one for me. Sometimes they come through fine and other times they refuse to come through unless i put in my fingerprint and unlock the device. Makes no sense. They were always instant on the iphone wether the regardless of wether the phone was off or on. With Samsung it seems i have to keep the screen on constantly to ensure i receive notifications

Yes, my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the S21 Ultra sitting side by side, iPhone instant notifications, S21 Ultra dead to the world until you turn on the screen. It's a problem with Android Doze and there is no easy fix.
      oh finally I am not the only one having notification issues. got no porblem with mg s10+ both android 11 but this s21 ultra really have this notif weird problem.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone