Question Delayed notification problems S21 Ultra

Search This thread

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Is there anything else I can disable to try to get my missing notifications?

I've had to keep the Notification history setting on to just confirm the following unfortunate info, but I'm going to now turn it off to see if that helps at all.

I had 8 Google Calendar event notifications set up to trigger in the past 24 hours. But, as confirmed by Notification history for Google Calendar - I've had only 4 Google Calendar Entry Notifications actually show up in the Notification history.

This is not a delay. The notifications are simply not happening, the phone won't show them, and they won't track in Notification History. But only some of the Google Calendar notifications, and on my S21 Ultra.

On my LG G6 that is still operational, and on the web browser Google Calendar, I get all the Google Calendar notifications so that confirms they are set properly. It's just the S21 Ultra that is acting up when it comes to Google Calendar. I've turned off the power savings and everything I can think of that might interfere with notifications on the S21 Ultra.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
OK. So, apparently, this is some Android 11 thing.

After search through Reddit, it seems that other people have fixed this issue by deleting/resetting the App Data and Cache from GMail and GCal.

Example:

Reactions: maxq1

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
This is most definitely a Google problem and not a Samsung problem.
Uncheck syncing everywhere you can (related to Google).
Close all apps.
Restart the phone.
Check syncing on again.
Restart the phone.

K-9 Mail Notifications work perfectly.
GMail Notifications don't!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POWER MANAGEMENT.

Here's a good joke:
Q: How do you get Google to care about a bug?
A: Tell them you're an iOS user.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Problem solved: ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

I'm ordering an iPhone soon.

I'm turning this S21 into a Gaming machine.

Bye Google, assholes.

No end user should have to enter adb commands like this.

dtfamily

Jan 2, 2009
I also have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G, sitting beside my cellular current generation iOS iPad. The iPad receives notification instantly, the S21 does not. Both are on the same cellular network and/or wifi, and the S21's notifications are delayed. Frustrating- I've had this with Samsung phones over the last few years. Won't go to iPhone for my phone, but very infuriating!!!

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I also have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G, sitting beside my cellular current generation iOS iPad. The iPad receives notification instantly, the S21 does not. Both are on the same cellular network and/or wifi, and the S21's notifications are delayed. Frustrating- I've had this with Samsung phones over the last few years. Won't go to iPhone for my phone, but very infuriating!!!
Does this help?: ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

And, look at this ****: https://www.zdnet.com/article/ex-ap...-iphone-notification-bug-by-buying-a-samsung/

deviceidle is the issue, I guess?

iOS and Android need to make it easier for consumer to debug this problem.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
This is the crux of my frustration with the issue - you cannot tell what is causing it, and each party will just point fingers at the other (t-mobile says it's Google, Google says it's Samsung, Samsung says it's t-mobile, round and round...)

Reactions: dtfamily

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm using Aqua Mail Pro and get instant push notifications.
It's amazing how some apps like Ring, Aquamail Pro ETC will receive the notifications while most others won't.
I'm also using Aqua mail but on a schedule, checking my work account.
Do you have any power savings enabled? I find that despite putting Aqua on the non-optimized battery list, email notifications are very very iffy.

slix71

Jan 14, 2011
Plant City, FL
For what it is worth, all of my notifications were delayed. I don't have any that weren't. I tried everything suggested here as well as on other posts. I figured out my issue which hopefully will help someone else. I use Google 1 vpn with it always active. I turned it off and now my notifications work exactly as they should. No issues noted in 24 hours after disabling the vpn.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
This is the crux of my frustration with the issue - you cannot tell what is causing it, and each party will just point fingers at the other (t-mobile says it's Google, Google says it's Samsung, Samsung says it's t-mobile, round and round...)
It ain't T-Mobile or Samsung if I have the same issue across 2 Android 11 devices and disabling deviceidle with adb fixes it.

Anyone know if there is a way to see if the email has already hit my Android during deviceidle but it just chooses not to show me a notification?

bissa

Mar 28, 2013
I always had delayed Gmail notifications. on all android not just S21.
Aqua mail worked great for me and notifications are instant.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
My problem is only with GMail and not any other app. Perhaps GCal too.
It only started with Android 11 for me.

For me the big problem is with GCal, where notifications will be delayed or sometimes never even trigger.

GMail also has a problem, but it's delay-only. I receive emails to Outlook and Gmail simultaneously, and Outlook notification is immediate, but the Gmail notification takes longer. It always come through eventually, unlike Google calendar which may never provide a notification.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sitting with the exact same issue and gone through all settings. Must be missing something.
    Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
    • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
    • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
    • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
    Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.
    My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?
    Its not a network issue for me because im referring to twitter, facebook, whatsapp etc not sms messages.

Never had this issue with the iphone. Its my only complaint with the S21 Ultra but sadly its a big one for me. Sometimes they come through fine and other times they refuse to come through unless i put in my fingerprint and unlock the device. Makes no sense. They were always instant on the iphone wether the regardless of wether the phone was off or on. With Samsung it seems i have to keep the screen on constantly to ensure i receive notifications

Yes, my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the S21 Ultra sitting side by side, iPhone instant notifications, S21 Ultra dead to the world until you turn on the screen. It's a problem with Android Doze and there is no easy fix.
    oh finally I am not the only one having notification issues. got no porblem with mg s10+ both android 11 but this s21 ultra really have this notif weird problem.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone