• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Delayed notification problems S21 Ultra

Search This thread

riofinn

Jun 22, 2021
Stating it clearly is an OS issue and even commenting that a factory reset was done lead to them saying "Samsung Repair Centers:)

Bill1426

Jun 23, 2021
This is what happened to me,,
I just bought the S21 Ultra, and setup 2 gmail accounts.. Everything was working great, (instant notifications, etc).
Then yesterday I added a non-gmail account (yahoo.com), and all my notifications stopped/delayed.
I have removed the yahoo account from the phone, and my notifications are still not working.
Tried the clear data/cache from gmail, gcal, and restart suggestion, but that didn't work.

Last edited:

warbugs

Jun 24, 2021
Nope, my babe has a NOTE 8 and it works fine, S21family just screws up and screws up big time. Certainly my FIRST & LAST Android. Never gonna take this road again. My phone is already on the anvil and am ready to take a loss and make sure I never regret again.

warbugs

Jun 24, 2021
Nope, my babe has a NOTE 8 and it works fine, S21family just screws up and screws up big time. Certainly my FIRST & LAST Android. Never gonna take this road again. My phone is already on the anvil and am ready to take a loss and make sure I never regret again.
also registered only to reply to this so that the ear-wax that Google & Samsung have accumulated gets some heat.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Yup. At this rate, next phone will be an iPhone. Send a message with your wallet.

This is not Samsung's fault. It is Google's fault.
And, they will bleed profusely for this.

Google pays Apple over $10bn an year and that amount will get higher and higher. I will encourage everyone I know to switch to iPhones instead.

Bill1426

Jun 23, 2021
This is what happened to me,,
I just bought the S21 Ultra, and setup 2 gmail accounts.. Everything was working great, (instant notifications, etc).
Then yesterday I added a non-gmail account (yahoo.com), and all my notifications stopped/delayed.
I have removed the yahoo account from the phone, and my notifications are still not working.
Tried the clear data/cache from gmail, gcal, and restart suggestion, but that didn't work.
Update: I finally tried the ADB fix and it fixed the notification issue..

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Funny how Google apps work better on the iPhone than they do on an Android phone.
Google pays Apple over $10bn per year. Plus, it spends a ton of money and manpower on iOS app development.
Google literally subsidizes iOS development and updates.
That's what you call a cuck of a company. Does Apple return this favor?
Why don't they put that into Android development instead?
I use an iPad and an Android phone.
I actually find that the quality of the Google Apps is about equivalent.

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
Yup. At this rate, next phone will be an iPhone. Send a message with your wallet.

This is not Samsung's fault. It is Google's fault.
And, they will bleed profusely for this.

Google pays Apple over $10bn an year and that amount will get higher and higher. I will encourage everyone I know to switch to iPhones instead.
It may be a good thing if everyone switches to apple. Then governments will finally start regulating them and their archane method of installing apps. The only thing keeping me from going iphone really. I hate locked down phones.

I understand what you guys mean. There is much to be desired from both the platforms. But everyone switching to one will just make the problem worse.

Remember, competition is good for the consumer. Keeps pushing companies to innovate and keep costs in check to stay competitive or risk losing customers.

Wherever there is monopoly, there's stagnation and rot.

We're already in bad state with only two practical choices of platforms. Lose one more and the remaining platform will weild an obscene amount of power. I wish Windows phone and Blackberry OS had survived and continued to develop instead of succumbing to bad policies and inflexibility.

Also, I wouldn't rely on legislation to bail us out globally. Local laws differ from country to country and government officials can be bought, unlike the customer... At the end of the day, it's us that pay to keep these companies afloat.

Right now, we can choose... That gives us some power... Take away that choice and we'll be exploited with abandon.

I don't think Apple or Samsung or Google would think twice to swindle us dry if they were the only company standing. We need the Samsung against the Apple and the OnePlus against the Samsung and the Xiaomi against the rest, etc as well as the Huawei going solo to keep the mobile phone industry from becoming a dictatorship.

Unfortunately, instead of creating products that improve against their competitors, companies are copying bad choices made by then. Removing headphone jacks, sealing in batteries, serialising spare parts inside devices to prevent repair, increasing prices, selling environmental bullshit to deny you a charger... there's a lot they get away with because the amount of competition has decreased. There are more companies, yes... But there's very little competition at the flagship level now. If you want the best, play by our rules or go get an inferior product.

How many actual top end big scale manufacturers remain? Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and BBK (I'm not even counting small fry like HMD, Sony)

I don't profess to know what the solution is, but I do know that reducing the competition isn't part of it.

kooltilldend

May 28, 2011
No comment on this for a month, is it fixed for y'all now?

I'm still not seeing numerous notifications (such as Pushbullet) while others such as Google Calendar are insanely delayed (my 9 am notifications get pinged at approx 5 pm daily lol)

I didn't have this issue with my S10+ (which I traded to pick up the S21 Ultra) but this phone has just been headaches after headaches for the last month or two

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
I'm still having the issue. And also that issue for me includes sometimes never receiving calendar notifications on the S21 Ultra, even though they come through fine on my previous older Android phone and desktop website.

I've just been meaning to do a factory reset to see if that helps, but I've been too lazy/busy so I'm hoping to do that and then report back to say whether doing a factory reset helped at all.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
No comment on this for a month, is it fixed for y'all now?

I'm still not seeing numerous notifications (such as Pushbullet) while others such as Google Calendar are insanely delayed (my 9 am notifications get pinged at approx 5 pm daily lol)

I didn't have this issue with my S10+ (which I traded to pick up the S21 Ultra) but this phone has just been headaches after headaches for the last month or two
Yea, It's no better.
It sucks that we have to live with a high priced phone that only about 10% of the apps will show instant notifications.

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max sitting right next to my S21 Ultra and the iPhone gets every notification instantly while the S21 is dead to the world until you turn on the screen.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
I'm still having the issue. And also that issue for me includes sometimes never receiving calendar notifications on the S21 Ultra, even though they come through fine on my previous older Android phone and desktop website.

I've just been meaning to do a factory reset to see if that helps, but I've been too lazy/busy so I'm hoping to do that and then report back to say whether doing a factory reset helped at all.
Factory reset does nothing for the notification problem and is a complete waste of time.

Andrew025

Jan 8, 2011
Portland, Or
I have delayed notifications in all apps, not just Google apps like some are experiencing here. My Galaxy S9 gets notifications instantly but my S21 can take anywhere from 5-30 mins. I've reset the network connections and did a factory reset and those didn't help at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Power up my device today, and the issue seems permamently fixed, received instant sms and alarms, indeed whitelisting both messaging and deksclock did the trick.

This is my experience, hope it can help someone else in case.
    Hello, is not a issue of this phone, is an issue of the core Android OS, i'm on Xiami Poco x3 Pro with a custom aosp android 11 rom and i do not have SMS (stock messagin app) notifications or alarms (stock clock) till i switch on the screen, at the exact time i switch on the screen the notifications arrive one after another.
    This is incredible, seems they are completely freezed until the phone back from hybernation. Never seen such aggressive power saving feature before.
    My old Nexus 4 with Android 4.x do not suffer for this issue so is something created with newer versions, probably that super power saving doze feature that people are talking about.

This is indeed a bug that kill all the apps in background even if you remove all power saving features mentioned everywhere in every guide.

Using an adb command everytime you boot the phone is something absolutely not fleasible and should never happens, this crap shouldbe fixed by android devs, why they refuse to fix this issue is beyond any sane logic.
    Sitting with the exact same issue and gone through all settings. Must be missing something.
    Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
    • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
    • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
    • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
    Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.
    I understand what you guys mean. There is much to be desired from both the platforms. But everyone switching to one will just make the problem worse.

Remember, competition is good for the consumer. Keeps pushing companies to innovate and keep costs in check to stay competitive or risk losing customers.

Wherever there is monopoly, there's stagnation and rot.

We're already in bad state with only two practical choices of platforms. Lose one more and the remaining platform will weild an obscene amount of power. I wish Windows phone and Blackberry OS had survived and continued to develop instead of succumbing to bad policies and inflexibility.

Also, I wouldn't rely on legislation to bail us out globally. Local laws differ from country to country and government officials can be bought, unlike the customer... At the end of the day, it's us that pay to keep these companies afloat.

Right now, we can choose... That gives us some power... Take away that choice and we'll be exploited with abandon.

I don't think Apple or Samsung or Google would think twice to swindle us dry if they were the only company standing. We need the Samsung against the Apple and the OnePlus against the Samsung and the Xiaomi against the rest, etc as well as the Huawei going solo to keep the mobile phone industry from becoming a dictatorship.

Unfortunately, instead of creating products that improve against their competitors, companies are copying bad choices made by then. Removing headphone jacks, sealing in batteries, serialising spare parts inside devices to prevent repair, increasing prices, selling environmental bullshit to deny you a charger... there's a lot they get away with because the amount of competition has decreased. There are more companies, yes... But there's very little competition at the flagship level now. If you want the best, play by our rules or go get an inferior product.

How many actual top end big scale manufacturers remain? Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and BBK (I'm not even counting small fry like HMD, Sony)

I don't profess to know what the solution is, but I do know that reducing the competition isn't part of it.
    My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?
    Power up my device today, and the issue seems permamently fixed, received instant sms and alarms, indeed whitelisting both messaging and deksclock did the trick.

This is my experience, hope it can help someone else in case.