• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Delayed notification problems S21 Ultra

Search This thread

kooltilldend

May 28, 2011
Sigh now even my text messages are getting delayed (some were even delayed by more than 24 hours - missed a trade because of this!)

I wonder if this would be a sufficient reason to get the phone replaced since I've really had enough of this

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
Hello, is not a issue of this phone, is an issue of the core Android OS, i'm on Xiami Poco x3 Pro with a custom aosp android 11 rom and i do not have SMS (stock messagin app) notifications or alarms (stock clock) till i switch on the screen, at the exact time i switch on the screen the notifications arrive one after another.
This is incredible, seems they are completely freezed until the phone back from hybernation. Never seen such aggressive power saving feature before.
My old Nexus 4 with Android 4.x do not suffer for this issue so is something created with newer versions, probably that super power saving doze feature that people are talking about.

This is indeed a bug that kill all the apps in background even if you remove all power saving features mentioned everywhere in every guide.

Using an adb command everytime you boot the phone is something absolutely not fleasible and should never happens, this crap shouldbe fixed by android devs, why they refuse to fix this issue is beyond any sane logic.

Reactions: felloffthetruck

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
You say that yet I never had this issue with my S10+ so how does that work?

Switch off the screen, wait 5 minutes the device go into sleep mode, send a SMS or set an alarm, the phone in my case do not respond till i press the power button and turn the screen on and i leave the lock page. Then sms arrive immediately, also the alarm start to ring.

If i do not do anything sms arrive 30 minutes later an the alarm start 5-6 minutes later, mobile data and synch do not matter in my case, is a power saving thing.

Last edited:

kooltilldend

May 28, 2011
Switch off the screen, wait 5 minutes the device go into sleep mode, send a SMS or set an alarm, the phone in my case do not respond till i press the power button and turn the screen on and i leave the home page. Then sms arrive immediately, also the alarm start to ring.

If i do not do anything sms arrive 30 minutes later.
Sadly I don't have access to the S10+ to test anymore but I had that phone for over an year and don't recall missing any notifications while this one's started missing notifications, less than 2 months since purchase

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Switch off the screen, wait 5 minutes the device go into sleep mode, send a SMS or set an alarm, the phone in my case do not respond till i press the power button and turn the screen on and i leave the lock page. Then sms arrive immediately, also the alarm start to ring.

If i do not do anything sms arrive 30 minutes later an the alarm start 5-6 minutes later, mobile data and synch do not matter in my case, is a power saving thing.
Whoa.

That hasn't been my experience.

It's only E-Mail and Calendar push notifications that are the problem for me.

Particularly: GMail and Google Calendar.

But, everything else functions fine (WhatsApp, SMS, etc.).

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
Whoa.

That hasn't been my experience.

It's only E-Mail and Calendar push notifications that are the problem for me.

Particularly: GMail and Google Calendar.

But, everything else functions fine (WhatsApp, SMS, etc.).
Yep, odd bug indeed, and i have it for several years, however on my old Nexus 4 with android 4.4.4 there is no issues, mean this crap was introduced with doze.

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
Have you tried the adb deviceidle disable thing to see if it is indeed doze that is causing your problems?

See: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...truly-pathetic-of-google-and-samsung.4276505/

Is indeed a doze issue, infact the whitelist solution work 100% in my case:
Code:
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.android.messaging
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.android.deskclock

Now both alarms and sms activated instantly, thank you for the advice mate.

I also rebooted the phone and seems the setting is saved in the system so i do not need to repeat the command at every boot.

I'm still testing, for now 4 times on 4 worked. Hope is not something temporary or just a coincidence, will post later on the day if this solution is final or not.

I'm on android 11, custom ArrowOS vanilla (no gapps and google framework), TWRP, mobile data active or not don't matter, battery optimization disabled.

Last edited:

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
After several hours of test, i can confirm that this whitelist command perfectly fixed the issue with the doze feature, at least in my device.

Tried to reboot the system and also power off completely and power on after a while, setting is permament, probably in Android 10 and 11 you can whitelist all the system apps and the settings is saved unless you update pr overwrite the rom of course.

This is my whitelist:
E:\Adb>adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist

Code:
system-excidle,com.android.providers.calendar,10134
system-excidle,com.android.providers.downloads,10124
system-excidle,com.android.messaging,10183
system-excidle,com.qualcomm.qti.telephonyservice,1001
system-excidle,com.qualcomm.qcrilmsgtunnel,1001
system-excidle,com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver,10133
system-excidle,com.android.proxyhandler,10121
system-excidle,com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.module,10205
system-excidle,com.android.shell,2000
system-excidle,com.android.deskclock,10182
system-excidle,com.qualcomm.atfwd,10197
system-excidle,com.android.providers.contacts,10132
system,com.android.providers.downloads,10124
system,com.android.messaging,10183
system,com.qualcomm.qti.telephonyservice,1001
system,com.qualcomm.qcrilmsgtunnel,1001
system,com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver,10133
system,com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.module,10205
system,com.android.shell,2000
system,com.android.deskclock,10182
system,com.qualcomm.atfwd,10197
user,com.android.messaging,10183
user,com.android.deskclock,10182

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
If you're certain battery optimization is disabled, then, why is this still happening?
I wonder if running this command for Play Services OR Gmail will truly allow instant notifications.

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
If you're certain battery optimization is disabled, then, why is this still happening?
I wonder if running this command for Play Services OR Gmail will truly allow instant notifications.

Well, battery optimization in settings do not have any noticeable effect even if i disable or enable it, battery drain seems the same also, but as i said before i have a vanilla rom, so no playstore and google framework, so my system is 100% bloatware free alonf all the stock useless apps.
I'm forced to push such apps in the whitelist via adb, then my device working as intended now.
Is odd but this is how it is, android devs mess up something and they never care to fix this issue, and this since android Nougat 7.x cause i have this same identical issue even in my old Nexus 4.

Last edited:

kd276

Jun 14, 2021
Power up my device today, and the issue seems permamently fixed, received instant sms and alarms, indeed whitelisting both messaging and deksclock did the trick.

This is my experience, hope it can help someone else in case.

Last edited:

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Power up my device today, and the issue seems permamently fixed, received instant sms and alarms, indeed whitelistinf both messaging and deksclock did the trick.

Is there any way to check if something is already in the whitelist?

adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist

Where's the documentation for this? Please provide a link. Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sitting with the exact same issue and gone through all settings. Must be missing something.
    Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
    • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
    • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
    • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
    Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.
    I understand what you guys mean. There is much to be desired from both the platforms. But everyone switching to one will just make the problem worse.

Remember, competition is good for the consumer. Keeps pushing companies to innovate and keep costs in check to stay competitive or risk losing customers.

Wherever there is monopoly, there's stagnation and rot.

We're already in bad state with only two practical choices of platforms. Lose one more and the remaining platform will weild an obscene amount of power. I wish Windows phone and Blackberry OS had survived and continued to develop instead of succumbing to bad policies and inflexibility.

Also, I wouldn't rely on legislation to bail us out globally. Local laws differ from country to country and government officials can be bought, unlike the customer... At the end of the day, it's us that pay to keep these companies afloat.

Right now, we can choose... That gives us some power... Take away that choice and we'll be exploited with abandon.

I don't think Apple or Samsung or Google would think twice to swindle us dry if they were the only company standing. We need the Samsung against the Apple and the OnePlus against the Samsung and the Xiaomi against the rest, etc as well as the Huawei going solo to keep the mobile phone industry from becoming a dictatorship.

Unfortunately, instead of creating products that improve against their competitors, companies are copying bad choices made by then. Removing headphone jacks, sealing in batteries, serialising spare parts inside devices to prevent repair, increasing prices, selling environmental bullshit to deny you a charger... there's a lot they get away with because the amount of competition has decreased. There are more companies, yes... But there's very little competition at the flagship level now. If you want the best, play by our rules or go get an inferior product.

How many actual top end big scale manufacturers remain? Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and BBK (I'm not even counting small fry like HMD, Sony)

I don't profess to know what the solution is, but I do know that reducing the competition isn't part of it.
    My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?
    Power up my device today, and the issue seems permamently fixed, received instant sms and alarms, indeed whitelisting both messaging and deksclock did the trick.