Question Delayed notification problems S21 Ultra

Search This thread

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
I've had a similar issue, but just with a few apps....but they're only occasionally not sending me notifications or are sending me notifications for things that I've never seen before lol. So with Snapchat, for example, I usually get notifications for new snaps that are sent my way, however, on this phone, I occasionally get notifications that I've received a snapchat from like 20 people at once (when the reality is, all of those people had just updated their snap stories within the last few hours)...

Anyways, I was gonna say: "Make sure the apps aren't in sleep mode," but you have clearly tried that by assigning them to the never sleep group...

Definitely an odd issue. Guess I should just feel good due to it not affecting every app on my phone.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
Another weird thing , if you have the app toggled off to not optimize battery it is automatically removed from the never sleeping apps list.

I believe this notification problem has something to do with Android Doze?

Blaalad12

Sep 26, 2014
Waterford
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Its not a network issue for me because im referring to twitter, facebook, whatsapp etc not sms messages.

Never had this issue with the iphone. Its my only complaint with the S21 Ultra but sadly its a big one for me. Sometimes they come through fine and other times they refuse to come through unless i put in my fingerprint and unlock the device. Makes no sense. They were always instant on the iphone wether the regardless of wether the phone was off or on. With Samsung it seems i have to keep the screen on constantly to ensure i receive notifications

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
Its not a network issue for me because im referring to twitter, facebook, whatsapp etc not sms messages.

Never had this issue with the iphone. Its my only complaint with the S21 Ultra but sadly its a big one for me. Sometimes they come through fine and other times they refuse to come through unless i put in my fingerprint and unlock the device. Makes no sense. They were always instant on the iphone wether the regardless of wether the phone was off or on. With Samsung it seems i have to keep the screen on constantly to ensure i receive notifications

Yes, my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the S21 Ultra sitting side by side, iPhone instant notifications, S21 Ultra dead to the world until you turn on the screen. It's a problem with Android Doze and there is no easy fix.

Reactions: cybrwulf

cybrwulf

Jul 5, 2005
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
It really sucks that I like this phone a lot, but I get notifications on my damn S7+ Tablet before I do on my phone. Doesn't matter what wifi or cell network. There is definitely a problem, and a wipe and reload, or clearing cache does not fix it either.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
It really sucks that I like this phone a lot, but I get notifications on my damn S7+ Tablet before I do on my phone. Doesn't matter what wifi or cell network. There is definitely a problem, and a wipe and reload, or clearing cache does not fix it either.
My Tab S7+ 5G has the same notification problem as the S21 Ultra.

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I have noticed that when I receive any type of message the first time it is basically instant, but if there comes a bunch of the same type3 of notifications through, it's muted...eg...If my friend sends me a whatsapp once I get the notification...but if the friend sends me 10 pictures all together, I will only get notified of the first one, thereafter all wil come through silently...this is for all types of notifications....it doesn't help with your issue, but also frustrating

Blaalad12

Sep 26, 2014
Waterford
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have noticed that when I receive any type of message the first time it is basically instant, but if there comes a bunch of the same type3 of notifications through, it's muted...eg...If my friend sends me a whatsapp once I get the notification...but if the friend sends me 10 pictures all together, I will only get notified of the first one, thereafter all wil come through silently...this is for all types of notifications....it doesn't help with your issue, but also frustrating

I thought i had a similar issue but i soon realised that some times not even the first notification comes through if the screen is locked. There is occasions when it feels as though the first comes through and the rest cannot be seen until i unlock the phone. Its annoying but weird as hell that it seems to only happen with twitter from my experience. Granted that twitter is the app i receive the most notifications from but im confident whatsapp for instance doesnt have this issue as i seem to get every notification regardless of wether the screen is locked or not

energy6uk

Nov 25, 2017
Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
  • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
  • Make sure the screen of both devices is sleeping
  • Get someone to send you a message through Facebook Messenger
Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.

BlaaaaazedUp

Dec 2, 2020
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Let’s be clear, this is not a Doze issue. People have been pushing that agenda for such a long time. Doze only kicks in after a certain length of inactivity, however the delayed push notification issue in Android is constant. Note I said Android, that’s because this issue affects every Android device, not just Samsung.

Someone is reading this right now thinking “my Android phones fine, I don’t have an issue with delayed push notifications”. You don’t think you do, but you do. Perform this test, and I guarantee the results will be the same no matter what Android device you use:
  • Set up both an iPhone and an Android phone with Facebook Messenger (same account)
Repeat the above a number of times. You will note the messages come through on the iPhone without delay, but many will be delayed on the Android. There is no fix, trust me, I’ve done everything you can think of. Turning off battery optimisations for affected apps, disabling Doze via ADB, etc etc etc. There have been many “fixes”, and some do reduce the delay, but they don’t “fix” it. I’ve had Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Nokia, Alcatel and every single one of them has the same issue.

It’s clear there is a fault with Android Push Notifications, and it’s been there for many years. Until Google finally admits there’s a fault and deals with it, I’m afraid Android users are stuck with the problem. From what I’ve seen of Android 12, there’s still no fix, so for now I’ll stick with iOS.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014

Finally someone that speaks the truth.

Reactions: pxotas and naveed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sitting with the exact same issue and gone through all settings. Must be missing something.
    I understand what you guys mean. There is much to be desired from both the platforms. But everyone switching to one will just make the problem worse.

Remember, competition is good for the consumer. Keeps pushing companies to innovate and keep costs in check to stay competitive or risk losing customers.

Wherever there is monopoly, there's stagnation and rot.

We're already in bad state with only two practical choices of platforms. Lose one more and the remaining platform will weild an obscene amount of power. I wish Windows phone and Blackberry OS had survived and continued to develop instead of succumbing to bad policies and inflexibility.

Also, I wouldn't rely on legislation to bail us out globally. Local laws differ from country to country and government officials can be bought, unlike the customer... At the end of the day, it's us that pay to keep these companies afloat.

Right now, we can choose... That gives us some power... Take away that choice and we'll be exploited with abandon.

I don't think Apple or Samsung or Google would think twice to swindle us dry if they were the only company standing. We need the Samsung against the Apple and the OnePlus against the Samsung and the Xiaomi against the rest, etc as well as the Huawei going solo to keep the mobile phone industry from becoming a dictatorship.

Unfortunately, instead of creating products that improve against their competitors, companies are copying bad choices made by then. Removing headphone jacks, sealing in batteries, serialising spare parts inside devices to prevent repair, increasing prices, selling environmental bull**** to deny you a charger... there's a lot they get away with because the amount of competition has decreased. There are more companies, yes... But there's very little competition at the flagship level now. If you want the best, play by our rules or go get an inferior product.

How many actual top end big scale manufacturers remain? Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and BBK (I'm not even counting small fry like HMD, Sony)

I don't profess to know what the solution is, but I do know that reducing the competition isn't part of it.

My S21 ultra has a delayed notification problem. Apps like eBay, PayPal, Gmail ETC will not receive instant notifications until I actually turn on the screen.

Apps like my Ring alarm, Aqua Mail will get instant notifications just fine. I've have tried everything like adding the apps to the never sleeping list, turned off adaptive notifications, set the apps to not be optimized by the battery ETC.

Why will some apps receive the instant push notifications while most others won't?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this mess?

Finally someone that speaks the truth.