Delayed push notifications

Search This thread

Olorin92

Nov 11, 2015
Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed a significant delay with push notifications (namely with gmail)?

I've got my old iPhone and the Nexus 6P side by side, and at best the push notifications come in 10 seconds later than the iPhone (sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes). I've tried the push notification fix as suggested for other phones, but got no love there.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: threshfire

PieOfJustice

Feb 15, 2011
Error: GPS Unavailable
Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed a significant delay with push notifications (namely with gmail)?

I've got my old iPhone and the Nexus 6P side by side, and at best the push notifications come in 10 seconds later than the iPhone (sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes). I've tried the push notification fix as suggested for other phones, but got no love there.

Any suggestions?
Is Gmail app fetching your emails on a timer or is it push?

PieOfJustice

Feb 15, 2011
Error: GPS Unavailable
Set to push, otherwise I'd understand the large delay.

I just realized gmail only does push.

I just tested it on my Nexus 6p and it pushed a few seconds after the email was sent. At first however I had to manually refresh for the first test email, then the second test email pushed to the device.

I tested by sending a email from a icloud account on my macbook and sending to my gmail account on my phone.

Olorin92

Nov 11, 2015
I just realized gmail only does push.

I just tested it on my Nexus 6p and it pushed a few seconds after the email was sent. At first however I had to manually refresh for the first test email, then the second test email pushed to the device.

I tested by sending a email from a icloud account on my macbook and sending to my gmail account on my phone.

It's almost as though there's some power saving feature going on once you lock the screen (this is where the delay happens, when locked).

Olorin92

Nov 11, 2015
Also, when deleting an email from the notification, it just keeps popping back up (i.e. not deleting). There's obviously some strange sync issue going on with gmail and exchange

threshfire

I've had the same problem and haven't found a solution either. Glad to see that I'm not the only one! I posted on Reddit, but it didn't get much play. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3seyj6/delayed_gmail_syncnotifications/

To try and fix the issue, I've (in no particular order):
  • Removed my Google account and readded
  • Gone through Gmail settings to make sure that notifications are on, sync is active, managed labels
  • Gone through the Google account to make sure that Gmail sync is on
  • Restarted
  • Uninstalled updates to Gmail from the Play Store
  • Reinstalled updates to Gmail from the Play Store
  • Force Stopped Gmail
  • Cleared data from Gmail
  • Cleared cache from Gmail
  • Removed it from optimized apps
  • Changed my password on computer, then waited for phone to ask to reinput
I'm on a 64 GB Aluminum, unlocked, MDB08M. I do not have my SIM card yet (only Wi-Fi). Perhaps that's the issue?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to factory reset, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, and I'm not optimistic it would help.

Olorin92

Nov 11, 2015
I've had the same problem and haven't found a solution either. Glad to see that I'm not the only one! I posted on Reddit, but it didn't get much play. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3seyj6/delayed_gmail_syncnotifications/

• Gone through Gmail settings to make sure that notifications are on, sync is active, managed labels
  • Restarted
  • Force Stopped Gmail
I'm on a 64 GB Aluminum, unlocked, MDB08M. I do not have my SIM card yet (only Wi-Fi). Perhaps that's the issue?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to factory reset, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, and I'm not optimistic it would help.

Yeah I've done the factory reset already and can confirm it does nothing. I'm beginning to think its the Gmail app, as the rest of my push notifications are faster or the same speed as iOS. Really crap by the Gmail devs if that is the case.

Any decent replacement email apps out there? The Samsung email app was quicker, but not sure if we can get that without rooting and flashing an apk (and even then not sure if it requires touchwiz to function).

Reactions: threshfire

dhjean

Aug 30, 2010
Hampton Roads, VA
I don't know if this is the same or not. I have this issue with both the Yahoo mail app and the Outlook app. My gmail notifications seem to be showing up reliably, but I never get any Outlook notifications, and Yahoo's are sporadic--one our of every three or four. When I open either app, it then seems to go fetch the incoming emails. On my previous phone, when I open the app, they're already there. I don't believe I have anything set differently in the apps. I would love to figure this out.

So, I did a factory reset and installed nothing but Outlook and Yahoo mail. Then I sent two notes to my Outlook, Yahoo, and Gmail addresses, and all three of each note arrived almost simultaneously. I guess, now, I'll start re-installing essential apps and testing.

Last edited:

droidfan77

Oct 14, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm having the same issue and I've also noticed that IMs on Hangouts are ridiculously slow. You would think that Google would make sure that at least their own apps worked smoothly on their flagship device.

droidfan77

Oct 14, 2010
Los Angeles
I think I may have solved my sync issues. In the WiFi advanced settings, I switched the WiFi frequency band from Auto to 2.4Ghz. Ever since I did that I've received notifications on my Nexus 6P just as quickly as I do on other devices.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
Wow, glad I saw this thread. I've been noticing gmail is slow lately. I thought it might have been my ROM/Kernel combo. I use Inbox and it was fine up until lately. Guess it's a bug for Google to fix. I even spent time last night reflashing stock and starting fresh out of box state.

SocksNUrToaster

Mar 8, 2014
Daytona Beach
plus.google.com
This is happening to me too..happens on gmail and as well as Google opinion rewards. It's been happening for a little over a week now...hopefully will be fixed soon..

Is it happening to everybody or just a select lucky few?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ragavbpl

Apr 18, 2011
I see that lot of people are only discussing about Gmail and other mailing or hangout apps.

I on the other hand am seeing overall notification push delay across all the apps including Whatsapp, Gmail, Facebook etc. I am unrooted and no changes made whatsoever to my android marshmallow. It is also on latest OTA build.
I receive all notifications as soon as I unlock the device, but if my device is lying on a table (even when not in doze mode which means lying for less than 30 minutes) I still don't receive any notification. As soon as I unlock and turn on screen it seems like data connectivity resumed and all notifications starts to flow within 5-10 seconds without even opening those apps to refresh.

I also have not modified any other notification setting and I even tried to keep whatsapp to priority mode + no battery optimization, still Whatsapp is having hard time receiving notification if screen is turned off for more than 5 minutes..

If you are experiencing this kind of an issue and have successfully resolved it, kindly help me.

pifsworld

May 1, 2010
I've lost email notifications but I have read that Google know about the problem,

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Any suggestions?

• Restarted
    • Force Stopped Gmail

Yeah I've done the factory reset already and can confirm it does nothing. I'm beginning to think its the Gmail app, as the rest of my push notifications are faster or the same speed as iOS. Really crap by the Gmail devs if that is the case.

Any decent replacement email apps out there? The Samsung email app was quicker, but not sure if we can get that without rooting and flashing an apk (and even then not sure if it requires touchwiz to function).