Delete, Disable, Downgrade and prevent update of Google Play Services [ROOT]

Search This thread

ConnCarl

Jan 1, 2013
New Haven
There are plenty of threads out there on this issue, but none of the fixes I found worked for me as-is, so I put this post together. Once I had everything I needed, the fix was easy, so I hope I can save someone else a few hours (or days) of banging their head against the wall.

This is a long post, so if you want, skip ahead to The Fix:...

Background:
About a week ago my Android devices started to go haywire. For example, two original Gen 2 Kindle Fires (running Amazon's heavily-reskinned version of ICS 4.0.3) started throwing "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages every few seconds, which required clicking on "OK" to continue.

At about the same time, the battery life on my OnePlus One (running stock CM 11.0 4.4.4 Kit Kat w/root) sank without a trace. I used to finish up the day with 50-60% remaining, and now I was at 15-18%. The culprit was Google Play Services, which went from "hey, I never noticed THAT before" to "holy smoke, it's sucking up more juice than the screen".

This is the part where I thought, "Okay, I'll roll back the googleplayservices apk, restore the status quo, and eventually King Google will roll out a fix". Easy peasey. Except not!

I started with the Kindles. First I verified that Automatic Updates were disabled in Google Play, then I opened Settings/Apps/Google Play Services and hit "Uninstall Updates". Verified that the installed version was the original, rebooted, everything worked as it should. No more errors. Simple, right?

About an hour later, I picked up one of the Fires and got the error again. Long story short, I realized that Google silently updates Google Play Services (along with a few other GAPPS) regardless of your auto-update setting. I tried disabling the app, but the button was grayed out. Since these were Kindles and not phones, I just uninstalled Google Play Services. I'm not recommending anyone do that, but it was a down-and-dirty resolution, and easily reversible.

I turned my attention to the OnePlus One, and that's where things got really ugly. I did a web search about the Google Play Services battery life issue, and found it to be a huge problem for many users. At that point, the solution seemed to be manage GPS through App Opps, or an aftermarket progam, to keep it's activity under control. But no matter how I tweaked it using App Ops, DisableService or MyAndroidTools (the last two are excellent free aps by WangQi, available on Play Store) I wound up with poor battery life, plus I started getting the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" error, although not as frequently as on the Kindles. I couldn't disable or force stop GPS, but I could click "Uninstall Updates".

But then I got "can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator". No problem, I thought, I'll just remove GPS as a device administrator. Turns out, it was a hidden device administrator. And Google had hidden it so hard, I couldn't view it even with an app created just to view hidden device admins.

The Fix:
DISCLAIMER: This worked for me, with my OPO running stock, rooted CM11 KitKat 4.4.4. I'm not responsible for bricking your device! Backups strongly suggested.

1. Download and install System App Remover from the Google Play Store.

2. Put your device in Airplane Mode in order to prevent auto upgrade of GPS.

3. Open System App Remover and select "System App" from the menu.

4. Find Google Play Services in the list. It should be marked "Should keep", which is a suggestion from the publisher. Select it and presss "Uninstall". Ignore completion message.

5. Using Settings/Apps, verify that Google Play Services has reverted to the factory-supplied version. It should be <7. "Force Stop", "Uninstall Updates", and "Disable" buttons should no longer be grayed out.

6. Using a root-enabled file manager like ES File Explorer, open \data\app and create two new, empty folders titled com.google.android.gms-1.apk and com.google.android.gms-2.apk. This tricks Google into causing auto updating of your GPS to fail.

7. Reboot device and toggle Airplane Mode off.

At this point, if your GAPPS are all working to your satisfaction, you can stop. Just bear in mind that if you upgrade your GAPPS in the future, they may crash or (more likely) refuse to run because they require a more up-to-date GPS app. Everything worked fine for me, but I decided to bump my GPS version to something closer to 7 as a hedge against planned Google obsolescence.

If you decide to update to something newer than the factory GPS app, note that you need to get an APK compatible with your device. There's an excellent explanation of this on the apkmirror.com site, but unfortunately I can't post the link here. Just Google "apkmirror googleplayservices apk device".

I decided to bump up my GPS to 6.5.87. To upgrade to anything older than the current, poisoned version of GPS, you'll need to do the following:

1. Perform your own research and decide which version of GPS you think will be best for your combination of device and apps. Don't worry about getting it right the first time, you won't be locked down anymore and can upgrade/downgrade GPS easily.

2. Download the appropriate APK from apkmirror.com or the site of your choice.

3. Put your device in Airplane Mode.

4. Open your file manager app, navigate to \data\apps and rename the two dummy folders you created earlier by adding "XX" in front of the name so that they no longer serve their intended purpose.

5. Install the APK you downloaded earlier.

6. Using Settings/Apps, verify that Google Play Services has been upgraded to the version you selected.

7. Open your file manager and rename the two dummy directories, removing the "XX" you added earlier.

8. Reboot device and toggle Airplane Mode off.

9. Enjoy your newly un-shackled Android device!

For what it's worth, my phone had been working perfectly for about 24 hours since this process. I did attempt to update my GMail app to the current version, 5.1.9, which failed because it requires a newer version of GPS. I updated to GMail 5.0.1 instead, which seems to be a good compromise. So there may be some minor tweaking of your GAPPS required, in terms of finding versions that work well for you.

If you have an old phone with limited resources, this should work out really well, because the older versions of GPS take up more less space, and they don't require nearly as much CPU time or data.

Hope this helps. Please share your experiences via replies!

doctor-who

Jul 25, 2014
Bogatic
This saved me alot of stress! Thank you dude

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430008238412.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430008238412.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7,150
  • uploadfromtaptalk1430008251868.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430008251868.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 7,034

doctor-who

Jul 25, 2014
Bogatic
It's not updated but file is downloaded and stays in cache/download/ don't know will stay there after reboot.. I don't think so. If every time will download that update that will drain my battery and net

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430010103331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430010103331.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,891

ConnCarl

Jan 1, 2013
New Haven
Interesting. I don't have a cache\download folder on my OPO, but I have seen automatically downloaded files, like CM patches, in the root of \cache. The same file has been sitting in there for a while. It definitely survives reboots. I don't imagine that it'll go away unless I clear the cache.

The easiest way to verify is to keep an eye on your battery consumption to see how it goes, but in my case, it's much better than it was with the 7-series GPS.

It's not updated but file is downloaded and stays in cache/download/ don't know will stay there after reboot.. I don't think so. If every time will download that update that will drain my battery and net

doctor-who

Jul 25, 2014
Bogatic
Interesting. I don't have a cache\download folder on my OPO, but I have seen automatically downloaded files, like CM patches, in the root of \cache. The same file has been sitting in there for a while. It definitely survives reboots. I don't imagine that it'll go away unless I clear the cache.

The easiest way to verify is to keep an eye on your battery consumption to see how it goes, but in my case, it's much better than it was with the 7-series GPS.

In my case downloading often but i'm safe till reboot phone. After that downloading starts again but anyway good thing is gps is not updated

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Let's try this
1. First, you must have version 4.8.2 installed (just replace it in /system/app with the new com.android.vending.apk)
2. Download a root service from the store called "Disable service" (again make sure root is installed and the app is given root permission)
3. Now, in the disable service app, navigate to the system app tab and find Google play store. Tap on it and you will get a list of services
4. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck "check Wifi And Update" service.
5. You will see a "please wait" notification, and at the bottom busybox should appear, notifying you that the app was given root access
6. Exit the app and voila! Google play store will never update itself or Google play services ever again (unless you install a new version, in which case you would need to repeat the process)

Doesn't works still is downloading....

Last edited:

doctor-who

Jul 25, 2014
Bogatic
The only solution I found is to freeze google play store... unfreeze it only when need it. Gps won't download itself without market :(

Again downloading...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430128752833.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430128752833.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,319
Last edited:

Swierk

May 25, 2011
How to disable Google Play Store from updating itself using "disable service" app

Swierk

May 25, 2011
There is no way to Block New Play Store 5.8.8 from self update on rooted lolipop??? Can't belive that... What about moded Play Store???

Wysłane z mojego D6603 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Crashdump

Feb 3, 2015
There is no way to Block New Play Store 5.8.8 from self update on rooted lolipop??? Can't belive that... What about moded Play Store???

1. Switch off network connection to prevent unwanted updates.
2. Ensure that Play Store app "Phonesky.apk" is installed as a system app. This should be /system/app/Phonesky.apk or /system/priv-app/Phonesky.apk.
3. Remove possible installed updates of Play Store ( -> Android app settings). Don't remove complete Play Store app.
4. Reset Play Store app, i. e. clear all data of Play Store ( -> Android app settings).
5. Create two folders /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk and /data/app/com.android.vending-2.apk
6. Reboot.
7. Switch on network connection.
8. Start Play Store and disable auto updates...

This trick works fine on my Ascend y550 with stock rom (rooted)

Reactions: martuseich

Swierk

May 25, 2011
Actualy which step prevents from updating play itself and how?

Iceyogurt

Mar 5, 2013
In this way, GMS could be stopped to update cause it doesn't have the permission to modify the folders com.google.android.gms-1.apk. But you can't stop the updating apk files to be downloaded.

ode_

Aug 19, 2014
On lollipop (5.1.1) Android just scrolls higher number after it.. Fight til .gms-4 and I surrender.. Google...

Reactions: vengeancezak

oojafink

Dec 20, 2012
I was able to get the Uninstall Updates by simply deselecting Android Device Manager as a device administrator.

The issue I have, is that ES File Explorer won't allow me to revert the xx... folder names once I have installed my chosen version of GPS, resulting in a 'com.google.android.gms-1-.apk' file.

I don't really understand as one is an actual file and the others are folders?

Swierk

May 25, 2011
1. Switch off network connection to prevent unwanted updates.
2. Ensure that Play Store app "Phonesky.apk" is installed as a system app. This should be /system/app/Phonesky.apk or /system/priv-app/Phonesky.apk.
3. Remove possible installed updates of Play Store ( -> Android app settings). Don't remove complete Play Store app.
4. Reset Play Store app, i. e. clear all data of Play Store ( -> Android app settings).
5. Create two folders /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk and /data/app/com.android.vending-2.apk
6. Reboot.
7. Switch on network connection.
8. Start Play Store and disable auto updates...

This trick works fine on my Ascend y550 with stock rom (rooted)

I only Created two folders /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk and /data/app/com.android.vending-2.apk without other steps becouse i wanted to keep my existing version of moded play store. After that my Z3 with lolipop 5.1.1 go into bootloop :/ so I guess that doesn't work on my config...

Any other idea of stay forever on current moded play store?

Swierk

May 25, 2011
On Z3 with lolipop 5.1.1 I got boot loop after creating this folder? Anyone succeed with 5.1.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are plenty of threads out there on this issue, but none of the fixes I found worked for me as-is, so I put this post together. Once I had everything I needed, the fix was easy, so I hope I can save someone else a few hours (or days) of banging their head against the wall.

This is a long post, so if you want, skip ahead to The Fix:...

Background:
    About a week ago my Android devices started to go haywire. For example, two original Gen 2 Kindle Fires (running Amazon's heavily-reskinned version of ICS 4.0.3) started throwing "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages every few seconds, which required clicking on "OK" to continue.

At about the same time, the battery life on my OnePlus One (running stock CM 11.0 4.4.4 Kit Kat w/root) sank without a trace. I used to finish up the day with 50-60% remaining, and now I was at 15-18%. The culprit was Google Play Services, which went from "hey, I never noticed THAT before" to "holy smoke, it's sucking up more juice than the screen".

This is the part where I thought, "Okay, I'll roll back the googleplayservices apk, restore the status quo, and eventually King Google will roll out a fix". Easy peasey. Except not!

I started with the Kindles. First I verified that Automatic Updates were disabled in Google Play, then I opened Settings/Apps/Google Play Services and hit "Uninstall Updates". Verified that the installed version was the original, rebooted, everything worked as it should. No more errors. Simple, right?

About an hour later, I picked up one of the Fires and got the error again. Long story short, I realized that Google silently updates Google Play Services (along with a few other GAPPS) regardless of your auto-update setting. I tried disabling the app, but the button was grayed out. Since these were Kindles and not phones, I just uninstalled Google Play Services. I'm not recommending anyone do that, but it was a down-and-dirty resolution, and easily reversible.

I turned my attention to the OnePlus One, and that's where things got really ugly. I did a web search about the Google Play Services battery life issue, and found it to be a huge problem for many users. At that point, the solution seemed to be manage GPS through App Opps, or an aftermarket progam, to keep it's activity under control. But no matter how I tweaked it using App Ops, DisableService or MyAndroidTools (the last two are excellent free aps by WangQi, available on Play Store) I wound up with poor battery life, plus I started getting the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" error, although not as frequently as on the Kindles. I couldn't disable or force stop GPS, but I could click "Uninstall Updates".

But then I got "can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator". No problem, I thought, I'll just remove GPS as a device administrator. Turns out, it was a hidden device administrator. And Google had hidden it so hard, I couldn't view it even with an app created just to view hidden device admins.

The Fix:
    DISCLAIMER: This worked for me, with my OPO running stock, rooted CM11 KitKat 4.4.4. I'm not responsible for bricking your device! Backups strongly suggested.

1. Download and install System App Remover from the Google Play Store.

2. Put your device in Airplane Mode in order to prevent auto upgrade of GPS.

3. Open System App Remover and select "System App" from the menu.

4. Find Google Play Services in the list. It should be marked "Should keep", which is a suggestion from the publisher. Select it and presss "Uninstall". Ignore completion message.

5. Using Settings/Apps, verify that Google Play Services has reverted to the factory-supplied version. It should be <7. "Force Stop", "Uninstall Updates", and "Disable" buttons should no longer be grayed out.

6. Using a root-enabled file manager like ES File Explorer, open \data\app and create two new, empty folders titled com.google.android.gms-1.apk and com.google.android.gms-2.apk. This tricks Google into causing auto updating of your GPS to fail.

7. Reboot device and toggle Airplane Mode off.

At this point, if your GAPPS are all working to your satisfaction, you can stop. Just bear in mind that if you upgrade your GAPPS in the future, they may crash or (more likely) refuse to run because they require a more up-to-date GPS app. Everything worked fine for me, but I decided to bump my GPS version to something closer to 7 as a hedge against planned Google obsolescence.

If you decide to update to something newer than the factory GPS app, note that you need to get an APK compatible with your device. There's an excellent explanation of this on the apkmirror.com site, but unfortunately I can't post the link here. Just Google "apkmirror googleplayservices apk device".

I decided to bump up my GPS to 6.5.87. To upgrade to anything older than the current, poisoned version of GPS, you'll need to do the following:

1. Perform your own research and decide which version of GPS you think will be best for your combination of device and apps. Don't worry about getting it right the first time, you won't be locked down anymore and can upgrade/downgrade GPS easily.

2. Download the appropriate APK from apkmirror.com or the site of your choice.

3. Put your device in Airplane Mode.

4. Open your file manager app, navigate to \data\apps and rename the two dummy folders you created earlier by adding "XX" in front of the name so that they no longer serve their intended purpose.

5. Install the APK you downloaded earlier.

6. Using Settings/Apps, verify that Google Play Services has been upgraded to the version you selected.

7. Open your file manager and rename the two dummy directories, removing the "XX" you added earlier.

8. Reboot device and toggle Airplane Mode off.

9. Enjoy your newly un-shackled Android device!

For what it's worth, my phone had been working perfectly for about 24 hours since this process. I did attempt to update my GMail app to the current version, 5.1.9, which failed because it requires a newer version of GPS. I updated to GMail 5.0.1 instead, which seems to be a good compromise. So there may be some minor tweaking of your GAPPS required, in terms of finding versions that work well for you.

If you have an old phone with limited resources, this should work out really well, because the older versions of GPS take up more less space, and they don't require nearly as much CPU time or data.

Hope this helps. Please share your experiences via replies!
    Can you share the way to turn off market update for a specific app (play service). Thanks
    Go to menu-> market auto updates. Deselect google play services...

Sent from the center of the galaxy
    (Oh, damn, I replied to an earlier response thinking it was a new response-)
    Oh well, if you can get your device back up, try this new method here, that I tried to streamline.

Also, I just realized if you can get xPosed installed to your device, there is a play services fix in there, and it works well.

I've created 2 folders each time:

As I mentioned, mine uses a base.apk file inside the gms folder.

That's what I mean, there shouldn't BE any apk file of any name whatsoever in the folders you make. For the apps I am not trying to block, I leave those base.apk files alone. Because if you delete any of those, it deletes the corresponding app from your system. But we are trying to prevent an app update, so when you create the folders they should all be empty. But I want you to try a different method, but just try to be patient, it took me weeks to come up with this, and I am trying to develop a process that might work across many devices.

I take it you restored your system? Now this is what I want you to try: Get Rooted and install BusyBox and a Terminal App. And install FX with the ROOT ADDON. It is the best File Explorer to check if this is working.

After you get all that installed, I want you to try this process.

--------------
    Method 2:
    --------------
    Here is a simple guide on how to disable Android Market from automatically updating Itself:

1. First root your Android device.

2. Download and install BusyBox from Android Market- And just for now, install ALL of the commands, busybox likes to leave a few out in a standard install, but for this, we want all of it. You can change it later.

3. On your Android device, tap on Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market and on uninstall updates. This will restore your device’s Android Market to stock factory version that it was shipped with.

4. Download, install and launch a terminal app. Android Terminal Emulator is one and you can get it from Android Market.

4A: Enter Airplane Mode!
    4B: Do NOT create any folders yet. make sure all is as it normally is before you start.

5. Type in the following command in the terminal emulator app: su (This will give your privileged root access)
    Then type cd data/app. This will leave you in the Data/App folder with root privileges.

6. Type in the following command in the terminal emulator app :

touch com.google.android.gms-1

Then continue with these consecutive commands:

touch com.google.android.gms-2
    touch com.android.vending-1
    touch com.android.vending-2

7. Type in the following command in the terminal emulator app:

chattr +i com.google.android.gms-1
    chattr +i com.google.android.gms-2
    chattr +i com.android.vending-1
    chattr +i com.android.vending-2

DO NOT shut off Airplane mode yet. Now go into your FX app and open your root System (Root) folder, Data/App and at the very bottom you should see all four of those files written with 0-byte files, and they won't have the APK extension. Then REBOOT.

If they are all still there, then turn off airplane mode. - Then open FX back up to Data/App and look for any new folders for gms-1/2 or vending-1/2. But you should know within 5 to 10 seconds of turning off Airplane mode, the device will start locking up.

If this fails, don't fret yet! Turn Airplane mode back on immediately, go into FX back into root data/app and take note of any new folders, copy the names to your notepad app, then remove the updates and do a soft reboot. When it comes back up, re-create the folders that the app created, only this time, add the .APK extension to the folder names. And then open Terminal and add chatter +i only to each of the folders you created.

I'm hoping this last step won't be necessary, but my device is set up like this, and it hasn't updated in over 24 hours. Which is a good sign, because the updates are usually immediate the moment you connect to a network.
    Just get the patched vending from http://www110.zippyshare.com/v/rXrcXf6V/file.html.
    This patched version will not update google play automatically, you'll have to do it manually. Also this is a patched vending from lucky patcher...
    I did this with gms and it cretaed a -3 folder! So I am curious if Google has caught on to using the immutable file attribute. I assume if I create files with immutable attributes:
    com.google.android.gms-1
    com.google.android.gms-2
    com.google.android.gms-3

Google will just create a new file/folder called:
    com.google.android.gms-4

So I think it might be impossible to get ahead of this.

I used TB and turned off market update for play services and that seems to work.