Dell firmware fix news update

Search This thread

mrdh

May 19, 2011
Virginia Beach
I updated firmware this afternoon through Zune and do not see any difference in speed or in cell signal strength on my dvp. NOT complaining, mind you, just reporting in.

very happy to have 212!

Wyn6

Jan 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
JUst downloaded PES Soccer from the marketplace as a test run (74mb file size). No hitches whatsoever. Couldn't have done that before.

Talkstory

Jul 21, 2011
As a reminder that has been posted for other sync events, use the original cables when updating. Due to returns and accessory purchases, I have six USB cables (four from Dell). DVP16 #1 updated easily. DVP16 #2, gave different error messages for each of three failures. I then swapped out cables and had no issues updating. YMMV.

ZappiestOyster

Dec 23, 2010
As a reminder that has been posted for other sync events, use the original cables when updating. Due to returns and accessory purchases, I have six USB cables (four from Dell). DVP16 #1 updated easily. DVP16 #2, gave different error messages for each of three failures. I then swapped out cables and had no issues updating. YMMV.

I can confirm this behavior, too. Had Zune report multiple failures during the update to the firmware as well as Mango. Reason was the cheap USB cable I was using. No problems with the original cable that shipped with the phone.

kr33mo

Jun 15, 2008
thatsmy5cents.wordpress.com
I updated firmware this afternoon through Zune and do not see any difference in speed or in cell signal strength on my dvp. NOT complaining, mind you, just reporting in.

very happy to have 212!

I have to agree. I haven't seen the speed increase or signal stability most people are experiencing. I did turn on my wifi and haven't had any lock-ups as yet, but I haven't tested downloading large apps.

Question: Can I restore a backup to a different Venue Pro with a different size memory card if I named it identical to the original?

cnjvh

Sep 25, 2009
I am glad to hear that the update is working out well for everyone. Please let me know if you run into any issues and I will pass them along.

Updated last night with no issues. Put the phone on the charger overnight as I usually do and this morning it would not come out of standby when pushing the wakeup button. Had to pull the battery. This is a 8 GB model and I have never once had to pull the battery so this was totally new behavior.

Migh have been random weirdness - we'll see what happens tonight.

ducttape36

Jan 13, 2009
Updated last night with no issues. Put the phone on the charger overnight as I usually do and this morning it would not come out of standby when pushing the wakeup button. Had to pull the battery. This is a 8 GB model and I have never once had to pull the battery so this was totally new behavior.

Migh have been random weirdness - we'll see what happens tonight.

Same thing happened to me. I'm guessing the Wifi Sync ****ed it up somehow. Had to do a battery pull to get it to come back. We'll see what happens tonight. If it happens again, I'll try resetting the phone and seeing if that helps...

cnjvh

Sep 25, 2009
Same thing happened to me. I'm guessing the Wifi Sync ****ed it up somehow. Had to do a battery pull to get it to come back. We'll see what happens tonight. If it happens again, I'll try resetting the phone and seeing if that helps...

my WiFi was turned off when it happened so may be something else going on :(

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
I updated last night and left the phone charging via USB on my PC. This morning the screen turned on but it wasn't responsive and I couldn't unlock the phone. The battery indicator had a question mark on it as well. I had to reset it by holding the power button for about 10 seconds.

MikeDupp

Nov 21, 2010
From the time I got my DVP in late Dec until the NoDo update, my 16 GB phone was nearly perfect. No freezes, crashes or problems waking up from charging. I might have had an app or two hang, but nothing ever happened that needed a battery pull. Immediately after the NoDo update, I ran into the charging lockup issue. It might have happened 2 or 3 times that first week after NoDo. Battery pull or 30 second hold on the power button always got it right back up. I never had to resort to a full reset. Since that first week after NoDo, it might have happened once or twice more, but nothing regular. I did the firmware update Tuesday afternoon with no problems so far.

The one thing that kinda stuck out when I was troubleshooting it was that my battery was generally pretty low when I began recharging it. And with the battery starting so low, it took a lot longer to completely charge it. And the longer charge times really heated the battery up. In the end, I decided that the hot battery was most likely causing some overheating and that's what was behind all of the lockups. So now if I have a really low battery, I only charge it for 15 or 20 minutes until it gets up over 50%, then I unplug and give it a chance to cool down. Once it is cool to the touch, I plug it back in and let it fully recharge. I may be completely wrong about the heat, but it is something to keep in mind if you are having this problem.

cnjvh

Sep 25, 2009
From the time I got my DVP in late Dec until the NoDo update, my 16 GB phone was nearly perfect. No freezes, crashes or problems waking up from charging. I might have had an app or two hang, but nothing ever happened that needed a battery pull. Immediately after the NoDo update, I ran into the charging lockup issue. It might have happened 2 or 3 times that first week after NoDo. Battery pull or 30 second hold on the power button always got it right back up. I never had to resort to a full reset. Since that first week after NoDo, it might have happened once or twice more, but nothing regular. I did the firmware update Tuesday afternoon with no problems so far.

The one thing that kinda stuck out when I was troubleshooting it was that my battery was generally pretty low when I began recharging it. And with the battery starting so low, it took a lot longer to completely charge it. And the longer charge times really heated the battery up. In the end, I decided that the hot battery was most likely causing some overheating and that's what was behind all of the lockups. So now if I have a really low battery, I only charge it for 15 or 20 minutes until it gets up over 50%, then I unplug and give it a chance to cool down. Once it is cool to the touch, I plug it back in and let it fully recharge. I may be completely wrong about the heat, but it is something to keep in mind if you are having this problem.

Good info. My charging habits are quite different...I just throw it on the charger every night so most nights there is still mostly a full battery. Charger, cable, battery level, everything is the same. Only difference is the update last night. Could be coincidence but I'm very suspicious at this point.

Hopefully a one time deal.

Necrothug

Jun 15, 2011
Is there any chance those with inside contacts at Dell could try to get some info on the status of the AT&T update?

murdo119

Jul 3, 2005
Same thing with me, froze on the first night and been fine after that!

Sent from my Venue Pro using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
Mine only froze the first night as well. Seems like the idea about needing a reboot after updating may be correct.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Indeed. Someone better post a picture of some cute kittens before there's an all-out flame war :O

cute-kittens-nap-together.jpg
    We have already given them half of this year. Apparently they are strong believers in the practice 'if they give you an inch, take a mile'. Can someone name another phone that has had this big of a problem fixing this big of an issue?
    Samaung Vibrant/Epic/Captivate/Fascinate - GPS doesnt lock on the phones.
    Iphone 4 - Reception issues
    LG G2X - Random force closes and reboot issues.

Your not the only person whos ever got a buggy phone Missionsparta. You could be like those Samsung owners and never get a fix or the LG G2X owners with no ETA. Get off the cross and wait. Dell is fixing the issue this week.
    I can't help but throw my hands up at the whole update situation on Windows Phone 7. I honestly feel this firmware release is delayed by Microsoft and not Dell...

I mean seriously why would Dell be shipping a firmware with the major build number tied to the Feb. NoDo build (7355) on their new and refurbished phones now, but now releasing it to us? The only reason I can think of is that Microsoft is required to push our firmware update via Zune and they have been stalling.

That leaves us and Dell in a tight spot. Dell can't release timely updates to fix our major issues... Even worse they can't communicate because the truth just is that they have no idea when it will be released.

Centralized updates for the OS makes perfect sense, but I don't see why the OEM shouldn't be able to push out their own firmware updates via their own tools... Or why Microsoft just doesn't push an OEM firmware update instantly...

Other OEMs have been able to release firmware updates through Zune though. Not to mention that Dell is the only OEM having these major stability issues. Could be any number of reasons why Dell hasn't released it to existing owners - still working on update process, adding more features/fixes before releasing etc.
    ok guys keep this thread on topic and no more fighting if i have to come back for the same thing thread is gonna get locked
    so please try to keep on topic and if you dont have something nice to say dont say it ^_^