Dell Venue Pro Registry Editor

Search This thread

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks to Dave Amenta, i got around to the Registry Editor in the Dell Venue Pro. I am able to read values, but not able to set them..May be i am doing something wrong. I am giving it to the community to crack it open.

Here is what you need to do to get to the registry editor:
1. Go to the EM App in the DVP.
2. Choose RD Test. It will prompt for a textbox to enter something (its basically asking for password). Enter *#6336# . Now voila, you are in MFC Test.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list and choose About EM.
4. Now it will say sorry..bla,.bla.. It will also have a textbox for another password. Enter *#734#
5. Voila you are in Registry Editor.
6.To read a value, go to the 'Path' prompt. While in, choose L M/C R/C U, etc..they are nothing but HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_CURRENT_USER,etc.. Then enter the remaining path name. In the Key field, enter the key you want to query. In the Type, press the down arrow and choose the type. Now hit the 'Get' button on top, you will see the result (If you enter all right). If you want to set data, i think you enter the value in Data field and hit set. But, so far no luck. Iam still researching.

IMPORTANT: DO not do this as this is super advanced user mode. You might end up brick'ng ur DVP if you do not know what your are doing.

Last edited:

kapanak

Nov 3, 2010
This sounds awfully similar to the LG registry editor on the phone. I do not have a DVP in my possession, but I know a friend who does. I shall try this and let you know how it goes. (BTW, Dell Venue Pro works on Wind and Mobilicity in Canada)

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
Thanks to Dave Amenta, i got around to the Registry Editor in the Dell Venue Pro. I am able to read values, but not able to set them..May be i am doing something wrong. I am giving it to the community to crack it open.

Here is what you need to do to get to the registry editor:
1. Go to the EM App in the DVP.
2. Choose RD Test. It will prompt for a textbox to enter something (its basically asking for password). Enter *#6336# . Now voila, you are in MFC Test.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list and choose About EM.
4. Now it will say sorry..bla,.bla.. It will also have a textbox for another password. Enter *#734#
5. Voila you are in Registry Editor.
6.To read a value, go to the 'Path' prompt. While in, choose L M/C R/C U, etc..they are nothing but HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_CURRENT_USER,etc.. Then enter the remaining path name. In the Key field, enter the key you want to query. In the Type, press the down arrow and choose the type. Now hit the 'Get' button on top, you will see the result (If you enter all right). If you want to set data, i think you enter the value in Data field and hit set. But, so far no luck. Iam still researching.

IMPORTANT: DO not do this as this is super advanced user mode. You might end up brick'ng ur DVP if you do not know what your are doing.
It looks like the button isn't wired up to perform the SET command - the event handler is there, the button is there, but clicking it even without entering any data should return "1", but it's not doing anything...

What do you mean by AT unlock? What commands are you going to send to the modem? Do you have the modem drivers? If not, take a look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929468

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010
It looks like the button isn't wired up to perform the SET command - the event handler is there, the button is there, but clicking it even without entering any data should return "1", but it's not doing anything...

What do you mean by AT unlock? What commands are you going to send to the modem? Do you have the modem drivers? If not, take a look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929468

When i get home, i will post the Registry Set Command CS code.
AT command - Yes, the command to the modem. And yes, i used the HTC Modem driver you linked for the DVP. I am able to query the modem from the modem properties - but i can't enter any commands in that properties window. So i am going to do a hyperterminal to send AT commands for SIM Locking and try to unlock it.

I also came across a test called 'SIM Lock' in Protocol, which returns what is its locked to.

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
When i get home, i will post the Registry Set Command CS code.
AT command - Yes, the command to the modem. And yes, i used the HTC Modem driver you linked for the DVP. I am able to query the modem from the modem properties - but i can't enter any commands in that properties window. So i am going to do a hyperterminal to send AT commands for SIM Locking and try to unlock it.

I also came across a test called 'SIM Lock' in Protocol, which returns what is its locked to.
The registry set command is:
IEmToCom.sync("EM:REGISTRY_SET:" + <path> + "," + <key> + "," + <data type, e.g. DWORD> + "," + <data> + "," + <path_type expressed as int> + ";", 1, false);

I was working with Dave over the weekend, but it looks like whatever value we insert is not being accepted - quite possibly because Dell hasn't implemented the interface yet.

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010

synergeia

Feb 3, 2005
damn.....i think it probably means that we need to get the modem rom somehow in order to figure out how to generate the unlock PIN :(

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but what does SIM unlocking have to do with registry write access?

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010
Is there anyone volunteering to reset their phone (cold boot)? I think i might have found the way to edit the registry. There are 2 modes for the EM App. One is Driver and another is socket. Not sure which one is by default. But i know how to change them. It requires a reset of the phone (cold boot) to take effect. I have too much of data on my phone to try it and reload everything. I can PM them the details and see if they are able to edit the registry.

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
Is there anyone volunteering to reset their phone (cold boot)? I think i might have found the way to edit the registry. There are 2 modes for the EM App. One is Driver and another is socket. Not sure which one is by default. But i know how to change them. It requires a reset of the phone (cold boot) to take effect. I have too much of data on my phone to try it and reload everything. I can PM them the details and see if they are able to edit the registry.
You could try calling new EMToCom() rather than EMToComByDriver() when you initialize the connection, and see if that works. I've tried it and it seems that it fails to execute the command, with the debug window printing:
A first chance exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in EM.dll
calling COM receive error(socket) : 0xffffffff

I tried calling the turn on LED command via my flashlight app that works fine with the driver connection, but I'm getting the same exception when I connect via socket. Do you know if there's a special way to send commands if you connect via socket?

domineus

Jun 16, 2007

I'll be a guinea pig

erebusting

Mar 18, 2010
I hope we all find some progress on this because I believe that this is what is holding us back from a lot of customization on this phone....

Top Liked Posts