• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DEPRECATED] Change to 4.0.4 yakju from yakjuxw (or ANY other version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

eddie_gordo

Apr 7, 2010
Porto
Hi guys,

efrant, who was providing almost all the support in this thread, opened a new thread in which he will give his attention now. You can (and should) check his thread by clicking here and I'm sure that the method he describes there is the best method to convert to yakju/takju or return to stock.

Thanks to efrant, once again that kept this thread running! :)

Best regards.

Last edited:

rubiconjp

Nov 30, 2011
Austin
for a noob with a Windows box, do this:

http://samsung.de/de/support/detail.aspx?aguid=3d722dbc-9813-4d08-b5b7-5772e168e9e4

download the USB driver and firmware files to Windows (may take multiple tries, keep trying).
run USB driver app in Windows, reboot Windows
run firmware app in Windows
put phone in download mode (power off, volume down + power on, plug USB cable in)
in firmware app, click start!

and you're done!

You're now yakju with latest Google ITL41F.

Rapidshare for firmware file only (if you're having problem downloading it from Samsung.de site):

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|1...p|192139|R~0|0|0|RapidPro expired. (34fa3175)

Latest Samsung drivers:

Also, this is the site for the drivers, should the poster of the second post wish to do an edit for it:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/SAMSUNG-USB-Driver-1480.shtml

Just make sure to go into C, program files, samsung, and uninstall the old ones if you have them.

Last edited:

eddie_gordo

Apr 7, 2010
Porto
Don't I even need to unlock bootloader? Plain Stock and just follow those steps?

Thanks

Edit: and will I lose any data?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: catfish

rubiconjp

Nov 30, 2011
Austin
No need to root or anything, just follow the steps. Yes you will lose your data.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

why does it matter if its yakjuxw or yaktju? Sorry, just got mine ..
Ultimately it does not matter. You will still get the updates either way. With yakju build, your updates will come from Google.

With non-yakju builds, your updates will probably come from Samsung since non-yakju builds are region and/or carrier specific and thus are supported by Samsung.

From reading this great board, I have learned that this is nothing new. Previous Nexus's were also set up in such ways. Nexus with Google builds will get the updates faster since it is straight from Google. Other region/carrier specific Nexus's will also get updates, but at times, weeks later.

offenberg

Oct 7, 2010
Copenhagen
No need to root or anything, just follow the steps. Yes you will lose your data.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Ultimately it does not matter. You will still get the updates either way. With yakju build, your updates will come from Google.

With non-yakju builds, your updates will probably come from Samsung since non-yakju builds are region and/or carrier specific and thus are supported by Samsung.

From reading this great board, I have learned that this is nothing new. Previous Nexus's were also set up in such ways. Nexus with Google builds will get the updates faster since it is straight from Google. Other region/carrier specific Nexus's will also get updates, but at times, weeks later.

Thanks! Then I see no point in doing this. For now.

Reactions: catfish

s1977

Feb 7, 2009
Liverpuuuuuuuuuul :)
See if this helps (link). I had indicated the steps on that thread. Once you install fastboot and can see the phone, then it is a simple execution of either the flash-all.sh script or the commands listed therein.

I flashed my phone to the recent google build as indicated by the latest google image.

offenberg

Oct 7, 2010
Copenhagen

http://samsung.de/de/support/detail.aspx?aguid=3d722dbc-9813-4d08-b5b7-5772e168e9e4

download the USB driver and firmware files to Windows (may take multiple tries, keep trying).
run USB driver app in Windows
put phone in download mode (power off, volume down + power on, plug USB cable in)

and you're done!

it downloads 0kb file

anyone confirm?

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
In reality there is a negligible difference.. I still don't get why everyone is freaking out. It isn't like people that are on yakju will magically get updates at the same time.. there are soak tests so some people that are even on yakju will have to wait for updates too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

rubiconjp

Nov 30, 2011
Austin
In reality there is a negligible difference.. I still don't get why everyone is freaking out. It isn't like people that are on yakju will magically get updates at the same time.. there are soak tests so some people that are even on yakju will have to wait for updates too.
That's true. My first GN is a yakju, first batch. Got the 41F OTA about a week after that OTA was first reported here. However, my second GN was a yakjuxw, and until this morning, still no update. There are leaked Samsung 41F updates for yakjuxw. However I decided not to wait further and flashed my 2nd GN to yakju also, since I had horrible experience with Samsung and updates with my old Galaxy S (which is why that phone is on CM7.1 now).

lambda30

Mar 9, 2011
Can anybody outline the steps for installing the original yakju images from Google on linux (not windows)? Thanks..

Here you go. Just use search next time...

I've just completed this. I too had that piece of garbage from Samsung. I've downloaded google official ITL41F files and flashed them through fastboot, manually by using these commands:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekj10.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk1.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot -w update image-yakju-itl41f.zip

The result ? The ROM is just about the same as before, nothing really changed. Anyway, I hope this helps.

LE: Oh, I forgot. The recovery is back to stock after this. Good to know.

eddie_gordo

Apr 7, 2010
Porto
I have to say this. I saw that my phone was yakjuxw but didn't noticed it the first time but it has already the latest 41F version, as you can see in the following screenshot:

Screenshot_2011-12-14-21-57-47.png

Maybe I won't change to yakju, and stick with this one. Do you think I'll be ok with the yakjuxw version? :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

efrant, who was providing almost all the support in this thread, opened a new thread in which he will give his attention now. You can (and should) check his thread by clicking here and I'm sure that the method he describes there is the best method to convert to yakju/takju or return to stock.

Thanks to efrant, once again that kept this thread running! :)

Best regards.

run USB driver app in Windows, reboot Windows

and you're done!

Rapidshare for firmware file only (if you're having problem downloading it from Samsung.de site):

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|1...p|192139|R~0|0|0|RapidPro expired. (34fa3175)

Latest Samsung drivers:

Also, this is the site for the drivers, should the poster of the second post wish to do an edit for it:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/SAMSUNG-USB-Driver-1480.shtml

Just make sure to go into C, program files, samsung, and uninstall the old ones if you have them.
    How to flash yakju/takju on any GSM Galaxy Nexus (IMM76I, IMM76D, ICL53F, ...)

NOTE: I AM NO LONGER UPDATING THIS POST. HAVE A LOOK AT THIS THREAD FOR A CURRENT GUIDE.

Step-by-step

N00b notes:
    1) Follow the instructions in this post;
    2) Do not follow the instructions in post #2 of this thread.
    3) Reread the above two notes again.
    4) This method is EXACTLY the same as a "return to stock" method. If you follow this, you will be fully stock.
    5) yakju is a generic build, meaning no specific localizations. There are reports that yakju does NOT contain certain dictionaries (such as Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, and possible others).

A. Install the drivers
    1) Do not install the Samsung drivers;
    2) Download the drivers from here;
    3) Install the drivers. If you are having trouble understanding how to install them, take a look here.

B. Backup your data
    1) Backup all your personal data (e.g., photos, music, etc.) OFF of your device and onto your computer by using whatever method you want that works for you, e.g., MTP, ADB, email, Dropbox, Box.net, whatever.
    2) This method will wipe your entire device, including the /sdcard folder, so once you do this, you will not be able to retreive anything that was on your device previously.

C. Download the required files and extract them
    1) All of the files that are required, need to be in one (i.e., the same) directory. It does not matter what it is called, but all the files need to be in there, with NO subfolders. EVERYTHING needs to be extracted into this one directory;
    2) Download the attachment from this post and extract the contents to the directory created in step 1.
    3) Download the version of Android you want from here. So, let's say you want the yakju IMM76I image, go to the IMM76I link that is under the heading Factory Images "yakju" for Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+)
    4) Download the appropriate version (for your computer) of 7-zip from here and install it.
    5) Extract the files from within the .tgz file which you downloaded in step 3 using 7-zip, not WinZip or WinRAR or whatever.
    6) Make sure you have extracted ALL the files (including any files in any archives inside the .tgz file). You should have six (6) files ending with .img in the directory you created in step 1. The other files you extracted are not necessary;
    7) Reboot your device into bootloader mode (by turning it off, hold volume up and volume down, and press and hold power) and plug it into your computer;
    8) Open a command prompt in the same directory and do the following:

D. Type in the commands into the command prompt
    1) Make sure your computer recognizes your device by typing: fastboot devices
    2) Unlock your bootloader (if you have not already done so): fastboot oem unlock
    3) You will see a prompt on your device. This will wipe your entire device (including the /sdcard folder). Accept.
    4) Reboot by typing: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    5) Optional -- Flash the bootloader: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primela03.img (or whatever the name of the bootloader image that you downloaded).
    6) Reboot (not required if you did not do step 5): fastboot reboot-bootloader
    7) Optional -- Flash the radio: fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxla02.img (or whatever the name is of the radio image that you downloaded).
    8) Reboot (not required if you did not do step 7): fastboot reboot-bootloader
    9) Flash the system partition: fastboot flash system system.img
    10) Flash the data partition: fastboot flash userdata userdata.img Note: this command will wipe your device, EVEN if your bootloader is already unlocked.
    11) Flash the boot partition: fastboot flash boot boot.img
    12) Optional -- Flash the recovery partition: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    13) Erase the cache partition: fastboot erase cache
    15) Reboot: fastboot reboot
    16) Done!

Notes on optional items:
    1) To be on a "yakju" (or takju) build, all you need is the system and data images. If you want to flash the newer bootloader, radio, kernel (boot image) or recovery, go ahead. If you want to flash a different ones go right ahead, that is fine also.
    2) Yes, you will receive the OTA update notification (when it is available) for the next update, regardless of which bootloader, radio, kernel or recovery you are running.
    3) BUT, being on yakju does not mean you will get the notification immediately. It could still take minutes or months following the first person who got it, before you get it.
    4) WHEN you get the update notification, IF you want it to install automatically, you will need to ensure that that you are using the corresponding boot, radio and recovery images for the .tgz package you downloaded. Otherwise, the update will not install automatically, but it will install using a custom recovery like CWM. See this thread for details.

Notes on the bootloader:
    1) Do NOT re-lock your bootloader after you are finished. The is no need.
    2) Having an unlocked bootloader does not affect anything related to the ROM/GoogleWallet/OTAs. Nothing at all.
    3) If your bootloader is locked, you CANNOT use fastboot commands. This is pretty much the only thing it affects.
    4) If your bootloader is locked, and you need to unlock it, it will wipe everything, including /sdcard. This is the major drawback of re-locking your bootloader.
    5) ONLY re-lock your bootloader if you need to return your device to the store. The command is: fastboot oem lock
    How to back up your current build so that you can flash yakju

My concern is that if the warranty need yakjuzs (mine original version), I cannot flash zs back.
    Would anyone teach me how to flash back zs, as it is not announced any zs rom yet.
    Sure, do this:

Step-by-step
    1) Note: this assumes that you have the drivers for your device set up properly and that you have backed up any data (e.g., photos, etc) to somewhere OFF your device;
    2) Download this and place the files in a directory;
    3) Download the attachment and extract the files into the same directory;
    4) Reboot your device into bootloader mode (by turning it off, hold volume up and volume down, and press power) and plug it into your computer;
    5) Open a command prompt in the same directory above and do the following:

1) Make sure your computer recognizes your device by typing: fastboot devices
    2) Unlock your bootloader: fastboot oem unlock
    3) You will see a prompt on your device. This will wipe your entire device (including the /sdcard folder). Accept.
    4) Reboot by typing: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    5) Boot into the OS: fastboot reboot
    6) Reboot into fastboot mode.
    7) Boot CWM: fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img
    8) Now, on your device navigate the menus to back up your existing build;
    9) Reboot;
    10) Now you have a complete backup of your current build in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup. Save this to your computer as well.
    Wasn't my suggestion; it was the OP's... :)

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Well, I guess the best thing to do (unless you know someone who is more knowledgeable about computers than you) is to start from the beginning:

1) Uninstall all phone drivers;
    2) Go to device manager and check the "show hidden devices" or whatever the option is, and uninstall any hidden phone drivers;
    3) Reboot;
    4) Boot your phone in fastboot mode and plug into your computer;
    5) When it prompts you to install the drivers, direct it to the main folder where you unzipped the driver;
    6) Unplug your phone and reboot the computer;
    7) Boot your phone normally and plug into your computer;
    8) When it prompts you to install the drivers, direct it to the main folder where you unzipped the driver;
    9) Unplug your phone and reboot the computer;

That should work... I hope... :)

Okay, when booting the phone into fastboot mode and plugging it in. I'm not prompted to install any drivers. Nor does it appear that it installs any. Suggestions?

Edit: Doing some Google-Fu ran across this method...tried it and now my phone is recognized in fastbooot mode.

"1)Download and extract file
    2) Place your device in Fastboot
    3) Connect to your PC
    4) Rt click on Computer
    5) Select Manage
    6) Select Devices
    7) You should see Android 1.0 and a little yellow triangle
    8) Rt click and update drivers
    9)Browse Computer for Driver softare and navigate to where you extracted the above file and click ok.
    10) You should now be able to see your device in fastboot and unlock your device."

Source: mydroidworld website.

So, now I'm gonna go ahead and proceed with the rest of the steps! Wish me luck. You're right about doing things on your own (with advice of course). You learn a lot more this way.

Edit 2.0: Muhahah appears to be a success! Now let's see how the restoration goes. I should have backed up my apps apks ;D