[DEPRECATED] Migrator - Android Backup Solution and Data Migration Utility

Search This thread

handers1234

May 26, 2016
Okay I still don't quite understand the method technically even after reading the description.
The thing is if dev say clean flash(wipe data,system,cache,dalvik) is a must before installing a rom,etc.Then will this adk solution can be used instead of titanium backup?Because you wrote that adk more efficient than tb maybe I'll use this instead of tb

Reactions: wirex13

VR25

Apr 20, 2013
github.com
Okay I still don't quite understand the method technically even after reading the description.
The thing is if dev say clean flash(wipe data,system,cache,dalvik) is a must before installing a rom,etc.Then will this adk solution can be used instead of titanium backup?Because you wrote that adk more efficient than tb maybe I'll use this instead of tb
All you really need to understand are the setup steps. This module prevents app data from being deleted when you use TWRP's "wipe data/factory reset feature".

alvinator94

Apr 7, 2011
This sounds too good to be true, lol almost like a proof of concept. Can just binding the new dir with the old make it so there are no issues whatsoever? Will test later this week cause I romhop a lot.

foxmcc8

Nov 1, 2010
My phone's storage is almost full.The thing i want to ask is if this procedure will need more data space inside /data/media.

VR25

Apr 20, 2013
github.com
This sounds too good to be true, lol almost like a proof of concept. Can just binding the new dir with the old make it so there are no issues whatsoever? Will test later this week cause I romhop a lot.
And indeed it is true. No issues whatsoever -- I'm using it myself.

My phone's storage is almost full.The thing i want to ask is if this procedure will need more data space inside /data/media.
No extra space is taken, as data is moved, not copied.

soren25

Apr 20, 2017
I installed this and it erased all my app data, ironically enough. Make sure you have a backup before installing.

soren25

Apr 20, 2017
After typing "adk" it finds all the apps, but after typing "." it lists every app with "pm: not found". After a reboot, the apps are not installed. Am I doing something wrong?

jungle35

Jul 16, 2017
I installed this and it erased all my app data, ironically enough. Make sure you have a backup before installing.

Lmao same thing happened to me. Figured the module was buggy and uninstalled it. Maybe i did something wrong too, which im not sure how considering how easy the install instructions are

henningsieh

Jun 21, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
henningsieh.de
Lmao same thing happened to me. Figured the module was buggy and uninstalled it. Maybe i did something wrong too, which im not sure how considering how easy the install instructions are

That's really f**ked up... same to me. I think there was no error on my side while following the "install-reboot-forget" process. Only the lib folders had been moved/binded somehow to the SD folder, no base.apks and no odex-blobs(?).

The result was a totally broken system. Sorry, but IMHO the Dev should not proclaim it that way as long as the script seems to be in pre-alpha ... All log files in /data/media/adk/logs/ are empty, too!

Really don't know whether LMAO or :crying:

Sent from my OnePlus3T using XDA Labs

Reactions: Callbiggq

hshah

Dec 24, 2005
The XDA link in the module description takes you to the forum section rather than this thread.

J4jks

May 20, 2015
Hyderabad
Seemed interesting and installed
But I lose all app data :(,
found no logs and nothing just like fresh install of everything
Keep a backup before trying this
I was on magisk 16.7 ,
Redmi note 3 AEX N

Reactions: henningsieh

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
Do not install! I lost everything like everyone else. Pictures I just took on vacation of my kids gone. All texts gone. All app data gone. Wtf man. This needs to be pulled. I lost 3gig of data

Reactions: Callbiggq

ovizii

Feb 9, 2011
I, like everyone else posting here, fell for this extension and lost all my app data.
I'm not sure if this extension is buggy or if we are simply too stupid to get it running but here is what I did:

install
reboot
forget (about all my app data as all apps seem to have lost their data)

I then opened a terminal, typed adk as instructed and am getting:

permission denied. Can't create /data/media/adk/logs/res_apks_verbose_log.txt: permission denied

typing su before adk does indeed give me a list of apps which seems to get longer every few minutes.
Maybe its still busy copying? I'll give it some more time. Not sure what's up though, are we supposed to wait for the ap to copy all app data over then do an initial restore? Or is it not correctly "linking" the apps to the new app data storage?

###edit###
I did not immediately remove this extension as I thought to give it some time. I then rebooted and its now hanging at the boot screen saying: "Starting up ... please wait" - this section usually only takes a few seconds but I've been staring at this screen for minutes now. I'll give it 30 minutes, maybe it is still busy copying all my APKs and app data to the SD card? I mean I was already wondering how this can only need one simple reboot to be ready...

I'll update this thread if I have any new findings as the extension description sounds quite logical so maybe we're all doing something wrong :)

Last edited:

ovizii

Feb 9, 2011
Dev RECOMMENDED app data backup in first step even BEFORE INSTALLING it through magisk or twrp.
I think nobody is doing it

you're right he did. I didn't say I don't have a backup I only said the extension isn't behaving as advertised OR I don't get how to use it.
Also, he should change that sentence from "recommended" to mandatory if his app wipes app data :)

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I have disabled the extension and rolled back my backup. I'm still wondering what went wrong here as the extension actually created the right folders on my SD card. Somehow the links seem to have been missing. I didn't dare try a restore via "adk ." as it was unclear what else could have gone wrong.

I would however appreciate some feedback and clarification from the author.

Reactions: henningsieh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reserved for jokes.
    Everyone who claims their data has been lost, please check whether it is in /data/media/adk/.appData.

I'm not here to blame you, but I even wrote "app data backup is RECOMMENDED" and clearly enough, the last word in that line is capitalized. Besides, why wouldn't you just backup your data before trying something that moves it around?

Ok, nuff yelling. I assure you this works (for me at least) and I've tested it multiple times before publishing. As a rule, I don't post anything which hasn't worked flawlessly at least on my device. When posting, warnings are always included and clearly visible.

Now, back to the main subject. If your data is in the aforementioned folder, then it is not lost. All you have to do is reboot into recovery, go to terminal and run "mv -f /data/media/adk/.appData/* /data/data" whithout quotes. And of course, uninstall or disable adk with Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode.

If it is not clear by now (even though that's in the README), no app data is moved to the sdcard. Besides being dangerous, that would take ages and be extremely inefficient. Did I say dangerous yes? Good. App data goes to /data/media/adk/.appData. Since that's still in internal storage, the moving process is executed in a breeze (could be well less than 10 seconds). What goes to the sdcard (if it's available within the 90 seconds timeout) are APK copies. If no sdcard is found, APK backups are stored at /data/media/adk/apksBkp.

Last, I haven't tried this module on Magisk v16.7. I'm currently on 16.6 and everything is going fine. Don't look at anything here as insensitive and/or poorly tested, as that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm here to provide useful tools and support. However, I cannot guarantee those work for everyone, considering all which is involved. Thus, disclaimers/warnings are never unseen.
    @qqzwc, the idea is great. I've actually thought about that before building this module.
    The only issue with your implementation is that system obliterates any data which is not associated to an APK. In other words, target apps must be installed BEFORE the restore operation.
    It's still possible to make this work, though.
    All you want is a simpler version of adk, which automatically does all the work by default (without keeping app data in /data/media at all times). With one addition, of course... the data migration flashable zip -- used to preserve app data and automatically wipe /data (excluding obvious files/folders) afterwards.
    Upon a fresh start, adk kicks in and restores all APK's plus data.
    I can certainly implement that as an alternative to the default working mode. Are we on the same page so far?

Regarding extended support, adk is built to work on any ARM/x86 device (64bit included) with Magisk up and running (regardless of Androids version).

To all,
    Bootloops? Please, provide logcats and all logs in /data/media/adk/logs. Thanks.

P.S., a new version is up. ;)

**2018.8.28 (201808280)**
    - Protected data and respective APK's are automatically backed up to largest_external_partition/adk/backups (fallback -- /data/media/adk/backups)
    - Removed 'rollback' executable (obsolete)
    - Support for automatic (scheduled) as well as on-demand incremental backups
    - Magisk module template 1500
    - Migrate app data to '/data/media/adk/appdata'
    - More efficient APK backups
    - Restrict app data permissions to 'rwx-rwx-x (771)'
    - Terminal 'adk' wizard
    - Updated documentation
    - Zillion+ features, fixes and improvements
    WARNING: disclaimers are all over the place. Still, some people just take things for granted and refuse to follow recommended safety guidelines prior to playing with advanced stuff for the FIRST TIME. Be an advanced user or not, make sure you read and understand the OP before installing this module. If something goes wrong, either because "reasons" or you forgot to feed your cat beforehand -- and you don't have a backup, DO NOT curse me! Of course, I'm always willing to help. That is, until you lose your mind and start attacking me.

Yes, saying "it works for me" is not an excuse. However, that's never meant to be, nor does it serve as incentive to try this module. You install this because you want to, not because I told you to.

Regarding rolling things back if something goes wrong...
    1. First of all, don't lose your mind and throw everything at me.
    2. Make sure you have the LATEST zip
    3. Boot into recovery
    4. Flash the zip
    4. Run "adk" (without quotes) on recovery terminal. Type "y" when prompted and press the "enter" key. This undoes everything.

This info is on the README, by the way.

Code:
    **2018.8.10 (201808100)**
    - General optimizations
    - Support for `exc`, `exc pkgName` and `inc pkgName` config lines (details on the README)
    - Updated reference

**2018.8.8 (201808080)**
    - Disable ESDFS & SDCARDFS and enable FUSE (might improve compatibility)
      *Release notes:* follow all safety guidelines strictly. Don't curse me if something goes wrong either because "reasons" or you forgot to feed your cat beforehand. I've been cursed enough times already. Still, somehow managed to stay alive and cool to this day.

P.S., installing from TWRP makes no difference. The latest module version itself does. About the French stuff... never heard of that, but gained some interest now that it was mentioned:)

If this ends up not working for most people, I'll redesign the whole thing. Current features will be kept, but turned off by default. The module will primarily function as an automatic app backup tool, with an interface similar to that of Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode.

Last but not least, I'm sorry for all data lost. I can't blame myself for that, though. What I can do is keep working to improve compatibility and add features... and perhaps write a book on disclaimers and how people skip them.

For additional words, the OP has been updated. Please [re]read it.