[Depreciated][GUIDE] how to root US LG G Stylo on 5.1.1 and unbrick :) updated on 9/2

Search This thread

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Hey guys I rooted my wife's phone and its on boost mobile. I made the mistake of trying to flash a custom recovery. Now the stock recovery does not work. Would I be able to do a factory reset or is their any way of getting on a clean stock build again. I just don't want to brick her phone.

Just flash the stock ZV4/ZV5 recovery...I forget the right commands to do this but the phone must be in download mode

Reactions: pablo2121

pablo2121

Jan 2, 2013

ConnCarl

Jan 1, 2013
New Haven
Just unboxed a Boost LS751 Volt 2 on LMY47V and applied the OTA Stagefright update. Installed Kingroot (worked) and then SuperSUme (caused soft brick, hangs on LG boot screen).

Tried this method to unbrick & root. No errors during the process. Unfortunately the Volt 2 is still hung on the LG boot screen. Tried data wipe and factory reset, no good. Any suggestions?

ObviousMan

Jun 16, 2008
Just unboxed a Boost LS751 Volt 2 on LMY47V and applied the OTA Stagefright update. Installed Kingroot (worked) and then SuperSUme (caused soft brick, hangs on LG boot screen).

Tried this method to unbrick & root. No errors during the process. Unfortunately the Volt 2 is still hung on the LG boot screen. Tried data wipe and factory reset, no good. Any suggestions?

Just used this to recover soft bricked Tribute 2 on ZV6 (latest) that I tried to root with one click tool. Worked fine, now it is rooted and native wifi tethering is enabled too!
OM

coolbeans2016

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta
I need tethering

Just used this to recover soft bricked Tribute 2 on ZV6 (latest) that I tried to root with one click tool. Worked fine, now it is rooted and native wifi tethering is enabled too!
OM

I need tethering baddddd. Boost offers the hotspot but too many people say it blows thru gigs of data way too quick! How did you get your tethering started?
Thanks,
zach

Reactions: Ainz_Ooal_Gown

ObviousMan

Jun 16, 2008
I need tethering baddddd. Boost offers the hotspot but too many people say it blows thru gigs of data way too quick! How did you get your tethering started?
Thanks,
zach

Sorry, this is on R+
Here is the description of how to enable on rooted device:
https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/root-lg-volt-new-v6-update-requires-this-re-root-teathering-for-members-with-tethering-beta-add-on-post-6/5267/4
You can blow through data pretty fast, and if you are not on tethering plan, not only you would be violating terms, you could be caught too.
OM

boxes

Sep 10, 2009
Has anyone installed the android system updates for 5.1 after rooting? I believe it's just a security patch, but I don't want to risk breaking my phone.

idropple

Dec 11, 2014
Chicago
Don't remember what version, it has been bricked for a while. I tried kingroot (one click) about 6 months ago, after i rooted it reboot, then it bricked. It's stuck on the LG logo. Tried this thread, no luck, sti stuck.
.im on Windows 10.
. tried old LG drivers bc I can't download the new ones. (Link is broken)
.did everything on the guide, factory reset, still no luck.

Thank you for your help btw.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Your risio from cricket? If it was in 5.1.1 and you tired to root any other way then this should have fixed it...

Don't remember what version, it has been bricked for a while. I tried kingroot (one click) about 6 months ago, after i rooted it reboot, then it bricked. It's stuck on the LG logo. Tried this thread, no luck, sti stuck.
.im on Windows 10.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

.im on Windows 10.

well...if it was on 5.0.1/5.0.2 then my rooting method wouldn't work since i specifically made it for 5.1.1.

fatfingered

Dec 27, 2010
I stumbled onto this thread after I stupidly ran the One-Click Root 1.3 on my new LG Tribute 2 (VM) device and got stuck on the LG boot screen. Followed OP's directions verbatim and I was able to un-brick my device. Thanks OP!

Reactions: Ainz_Ooal_Gown

rcll

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for this rooting method! I have a Cricket LG Risio H343 that came with 5.1.1 out of the box. I see some reports of successful root on Cricket Risio so I'm about to try it and report back here.

But is there a way to back up the phone in case of problem? Stock KDZ is not available apparently, so can we dd the original image from the phone to use as backup, and dd it back to phone if there is problem? Can anyone list the exact steps to do this, or if there is a better way?

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Thanks for this rooting method! I have a Cricket LG Risio H343 that came with 5.1.1 out of the box. I see some reports of successful root on Cricket Risio so I'm about to try it and report back here.

But is there a way to back up the phone in case of problem? Stock KDZ is not available apparently, so can we dd the original image from the phone to use as backup, and dd it back to phone if there is problem? Can anyone list the exact steps to do this, or if there is a better way?

Direct dd back up and restore is how I set up the complete stock system.img for both ZV4 and ZV5

Reactions: rcll

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Thanks. Can you say how the dd line should look or the procedure for Stylo/Risio? Does the phone need to be already rooted with busybox on it to copy with dd?

i will search for the command lines you need and the way it worked for me was is put the system.img in the internal storage so make sure you at least have 2 GB free there

Reactions: Nano.nano

coolbeans2016

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta
question for 6th_Hokage on flashing zip

i will search for the command lines you need and the way it worked for me was is put the system.img in the internal storage so make sure you at least have 2 GB free there

I used this thread rooting my LG Tribute 2 after bricking it with one-click-root....
found a rooted image .zip for my phone, same carrier with root (1.06gb). How do I do my phone with it? Put in on the sd card and go up under phones Boot mode and run it? Or is it going to say something about not being signed? Just need to know so I will have a working way of getting my phone back to life. Did not know how to pull the .img file before running this method and am without kdz on boost as were all aware.
Thanks,
zach
xdaforums.com/android/development/rom-slightly-modified-t3134366 is a thread I found awhile back. Supposed to be made for Boost version of my phone specifically (LGLS665) but keeps referring to using TWRP and throughout all 9 pages cannot find anyway of getting TWRP on it! 1 or 2 others ask same question and I have posted many times with no reply??! Are there BS threads on XDA?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has come to my attention that this will not work on latest OTA so please only use this if you have the mentioned android number...and I moved on to a LG G3

Attention if you try this and end up with a brick or your device transforms and tries to destroy you; it's not my fault you did this not me. So just read all of this thread not just the O.P to get out of a bind if you reply with "the thread is too long i wont read it please help" don't expect anything short of "there's a search bar use it"

Attention If you bricked via trying to root with the 5.0.2 method on 5.1.1 then just run what is below and you will have a fully working and rooted Stylo ;)

Hello there I and Unjustified Dev have figured out how to root this puppy with the help of a video on YouTube so please read carefully and copy carefully ! (Thanks @Newyork! for helping me clean up my OP)
    1. Make sure you have a Windows PC
    2. Download the LG Drivers from here:
    3. Reboot your device into download mode (press and hold volume up and connect to a power source at the same time)
    4. Download this folder and unzip it to your desktop:
    5. Run ports.bat from within the extracted folder, to find your correct port (use the one with: LGVZANDNETDIAG1)
    6. In the LG_Root folder hold shift and right click and choose open command windows here
    7. Type
      Code:
      Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox  /tmp/busybox

(Make sure your COM port number is correct, it varies)
      it will then give you a message for example:

C:\Users\juan\Desktop\LG_Root>Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
      Author : blog.lvu.kr
      File : busybox
      Path : /tmp/busybox

UNLK : FAIL
      OPEN : OPEN
      TOT FileSize : 1048328

SendStart
      WRTE : WRTE1048328byte sent

CLSE: CLSE

8. Now type
      Code:
      Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 lg_root.sh  /tmp/lg_root.sh
      (same deal as before)
    9. Now type
      Code:
      Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip  /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    10. Now type
      Code:
      Send_Command.exe \\.\COM11
    11. Now type the following
      Code:
      ls tmp
      which will result in:
      #ls tmp
      FAIL
    12. type again
      Code:
      ls tmp
      And you will get the following
      UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
      busybox
      lg_root.sh
    13. Now type
      Code:
      sh /tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/busybox

which should give you:
      ui_print *****************
      ui_print SuperSU installer
      ui_print *****************
      ui_print - Mounting /system, /data and rootfs
      ui_print - Extracting files
      Archive: /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
      inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
      inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF
      inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
      inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
      inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
      inflating: arm/chattr
      inflating: arm/chattr.pie
      inflating: arm/libsupol.so
      inflating: arm/su
      inflating: arm/supolicy
      inflating: arm64/libsupol.so
      inflating: arm64/su
      inflating: arm64/supolicy
      inflating: armv7/chattr.pie
      inflating: armv7/libsupol.so
      inflating: armv7/su
      inflating: armv7/supolicy
      inflating: common/99SuperSUDaemon
      inflating: common/Superuser.apk
      inflating: common/install-recovery.sh
      inflating: mips/chattr.pie
      inflating: mips/libsupol.so
      inflating: mips/su
      inflating: mips/supolicy
      inflating: mips64/libsupol.so
      inflating: mips64/su
      inflating: mips64/supolicy
      inflating: x64/libsupol.so
      inflating: x64/su
      inflating: x64/supolicy
      inflating: x86/chattr
      inflating: x86/chattr.pie
      inflating: x86/libsupol.so
      inflating: x86/su
      inflating: x86/supolicy
      ui_print - Disabling OTA survival
      ui_print - Removing old files
      ui_print - Placing files
      ui_print - Post-installation script
      ui_print - Unmounting /system and /data
      ui_print - Done !
    14. Type
      Code:
      LEAVE
      and press enter and let your device reboot
    15. Don't brick your device now that you have root :)

edit: works on all known US Variants don't know about the Canadian or European ones (and cricket apparently)....
    Will do, thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. :)

Here is One Click LP 5.1.1 Root :)

1- Click Here and Download LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip File

2- Click Here and Download LG USB Drivers ( Thanks @GameTheory. )
    "NOTE: skip Drivers if you have them already install"

4- Enable USB Debugging via Developer Option.

5- Decompress LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip on Root C: drive for easy access or any convenient location.

6- Now lets head over where we decompress that zip file and just double " LG_Root_Script.bat "

7- LET the script run to FULL COMPLETION, Your Device will Reboot twice so be patient.
    IF YOU HAVE YOU DEVICE WITH LOCKSCREEN CODE / SWIPE CODE NEED TO UNLOCK SCREEN ON EACH REBOOT FOR THE SCRIPT TO PROCEED
    ( Check Image for the whole process - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT )
    NIWunVg.jpg

8- when the process say
    Code:
     ui_print - Done !

press Ctrl+C
    press N then ENTER

( Check Image - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT )

uJStcRm.jpg

- And you are done your device is now Rooted

- Phone will Reset and you need to wait till phone is fully Rebooted to system it may take a few minutes so be patient.
    @6th_Hokage
    i was just talking about this with @Unjustified Dev over Hangouts and seems the same process for T-Mobile / Metro as well so will be cool if that Title is edited for T-Mobile and Metro as well....

P.S. ill be testing process as soon i KDZ my stylo (Tmo) and proceed with TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-mobile/Metro so you can edit OP with those steps and have a Universal Thread for all Stylos :)
    Okay for sure just want some to try it first

0k I CAN confirm that ROOT and TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-MOBILE is a GO and pretty sure same for METRO :fingers-crossed: :good: :highfive: (Thanks @Unjustified Dev)

PS. i flash latest KDZ v10i and procced with Root after that i Enable OEM Unlock to flash the Custom Recovery (TWRP 2.8.7.0) with FLashify........

PSS. Because i had a Backup i Restored and got everything back again and no need to reinstall everything again :)

EDIT 1 - Seems like if we TMO/METRO user want to access Custom Recovery the OEM Unlock must be check all the time @Unjustified Dev is this always this way or there us a way around? cuz when is Uncheck gives:
    "Secure Boot error"
    " Error Code 1003 "
    Worked on my boost mobile stylo. Thanks to the devs who figured this out. :good: :good: :good: