Desire HD just vibrates 7 times - please help

Search This thread

wannesdeloore

Jan 22, 2012
Antwerp
I have the same issue: phone was rooted a month ago, got a custom rom (HoneySmartDroid http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420861) and used it just as a phone should.
Last Friday, all of a sudden, the screen froze and the phone took very long before he booted again.
Battery out, boot again and just the seven vibrations.

I got into the boot screen (Volume Down + Power) but recovery didn't work. Also factory settings didn't work.

I tried several things and ended with a PD98IMG.zip on the SD-card.
The img got recognised, was installed properly and the phone asked to boot again.
Reboot, seven vibrations, htc logo.

The last thing I want to do is to sent it in to HTC, because they won't fix it, I guess since it was rooted (which I believe has nothing to do with the issue).

Any clues?

youngd24

Aug 29, 2011
Buffalo
@wannes I had the same problem and what I did was use Ace Advanced Hack Kit and I downloaded the gingerbread rom and flash that through Ace and YOU WILL LOSE ROOT but if you want to root just use Ace to root it. Hope it helps

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Reactions: wannesdeloore

wannesdeloore

Jan 22, 2012
Antwerp
I can get into hboot. but no further. I can get into fastboot as well. but any other option is blocked with 7vibrations of evil, it seems.

Very strange.

Fredro

Feb 15, 2010
Is it still S-OFF in the hboot or not?

I have exactly the same problem as the guy above.

My phone has S-ON, though it's a HTC Desire, GSM

Still it has the exact same outcome, tried all the methods as him aswell.

EDIT:

Made some progress atleast, I just reflashed the radio and I was able to enter the recovery, will try the RUU when I find an sdcard

Last edited:

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Oh guys i have eleven months with my Inspire 4g and the same thing happened to me, it turned itself off and now when i try to turn it on , it just vibrates and the notification light, lights up and blinks in red, i tried to get into the bootloader but no luck , it vibrates again and the led goes green

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
Got that today in the morning. Yesterday the phone was fully functional, but when I woke up it was powered off. I thought the battery is drained so hooked it up to the adapter, then yellow LED starts blinking. Tried to power it on, but no luck. Once I saw a battery charge animation on the display but right after that it doesn't blink LED anymore and now only vibrates 7 times. It's Inspire 4G from almost the beginning of sells, I bought it on ebay with broken screen, changed the screen and it worked more than half a year.

Garang

Nov 22, 2008
Unfortunately, I also now suffer the same problem with my DHD.
I can go into bootloader and select options. But once I select recover (or normally on it), it will vibrate 7 times and get stuck.
Tried flashing recovery using android flasher but to no effect.

ANy idea?

soho_bel

Sep 18, 2007
if it vibrates 7 times it may be boot loader damaged or may be hardware problem.
i got this kind of problem 5 month ago, and successfully flashed boot with j-tag riff box, but now have the same problem with another inspire, flashed the same boot but it is the same problem. so i think its the hardware problem

GBIC

Jan 20, 2012
I also have this problem, when I try to access recovery from boot loader.
But the boot loader itself works with no problem. :confused:

jheller

Jul 30, 2013
catch22.eu
While on holiday I put my Desire HD on charge over night (was working fine at that point), but when trying to turn it on the next morning it just vibrated 7 times and that was it - the phone would do nothing. The phone doesn't respond to the hard reset process described on the HTC website and no lights come on at any point (not even when connected to the charger).

For the record to help some of you out who ended up here Googling: I had a similar issue. My HTC Desire SV did not boot, and when charging, only had an orange flashing light, and the phone vibrated 7 times. I did 2 things that got it back up:
1) left the phone off for say 10 minutes (I read about overheating issues in general, although the phone did not feel hot).
2) removed the battery for a couple of minutes.

VERY IMPORTANT: for step 2: make sure to have the battery removed long enough to drain internal charge. I removed and installed the battery in a second or so at first, and still the phone did not boot. After leaving out the battery long enough, it booted again. It appears to me that the issue in my case was a rather big internal charge capacity which kept internal state (memory and/or CPU?) from booting. Hope this helps...

Reactions: FrikyBCN

quintaar

Jan 7, 2009
Teeside
I got 'new' Desire and I'm stuck with similar issues. I managed to flash hboot and up it to 1.02.001 and now not much would work. I cannot find original RUU for my phone as this was for polish (Era) provider and none seem work.
Right now Fasboot works ok I can read data using ADB but none of files i send - work. I struggle with Gold card as phone is dead and I have S-ON. I get 7 vibrations when I get to recovery - any ideas?

jheller

Jul 30, 2013
catch22.eu
I got 'new' Desire and I'm stuck with similar issues. I managed to flash hboot and up it to 1.02.001 and now not much would work. I cannot find original RUU for my phone as this was for polish (Era) provider and none seem work.
Right now Fasboot works ok I can read data using ADB but none of files i send - work. I struggle with Gold card as phone is dead and I have S-ON. I get 7 vibrations when I get to recovery - any ideas?

Can't help with stock ROMS, but I see the HTC Desire has a Cyanogenmod ROM, and a ClockworkMod Recovery exists as well. Did you try these? I suspect this is not the issue though, thinking out loud. See the dedicated post I started about the does not boot issue. Hit thanks if this helps a bit; your issue resembles my issue more or less. As far as I could figure out so far, is that the /misc partition is used to determine which partition to boot from. So when you would like to use HBOOT to start recovery, it actually writes info to the /misc partition, reboots, looks at the /misc partition what to boot, but this fails. You keep the black screen, and get 7 vibrations then? I'm eager to know how you manage to get back to HBOOT after that. Do you have to remove the battery, and for how long?

This is a long shot, but would "fastboot boot recovery.img" of the correct CWM Recovery start recovery?

quintaar

Jan 7, 2009
Teeside
Can't help with stock ROMS, but I see the HTC Desire has a Cyanogenmod ROM, and a ClockworkMod Recovery exists as well. Did you try these? I suspect this is not the issue though, thinking out loud. See the dedicated post I started about the does not boot issue. Hit thanks if this helps a bit; your issue resembles my issue more or less. As far as I could figure out so far, is that the /misc partition is used to determine which partition to boot from. So when you would like to use HBOOT to start recovery, it actually writes info to the /misc partition, reboots, looks at the /misc partition what to boot, but this fails. You keep the black screen, and get 7 vibrations then? I'm eager to know how you manage to get back to HBOOT after that. Do you have to remove the battery, and for how long?

This is a long shot, but would "fastboot boot recovery.img" of the correct CWM Recovery start recovery?

I ended up restoring the unbranded rom on the device (mostly accidentally) the only thing I did correct was to load .img file with hboot. after this splash screen turned from branded to plain HTC, and it was stuck on 7 vibrations. (fasboot was ok, recovery not) - putting phone to freezer with no battery got rid of the stored charge and lowered motherboard temp. Now my phone resets randomly, and gets into bootloop unless treated with freezer again. If you are asking me - I got motherboard failure. I doubt this is software related.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

While on holiday I put my Desire HD on charge over night (was working fine at that point), but when trying to turn it on the next morning it just vibrated 7 times and that was it - the phone would do nothing. The phone doesn't respond to the hard reset process described on the HTC website and no lights come on at any point (not even when connected to the charger).

The only time the phone does anything, is when you eject the battery and re-insert it. At the point where the battery touches the contacts inside the phone, it vibrates 7 times again and nothing more. The phone has not been modified in any way and uses the original OS from HTC. All the phone does is vibrate 7 times when inserting the battery. Otherwise it's completely dead.

This would, I presume, normally be a simple warranty case (8 month old phone). However, in my desperation to reset/fix the phone, I tried pressing what I thought was a reset button underneath the SIM & memory card cover (with the tip of a pen). Instead of the 'click' that I expected though, it pierced what turned out to be a small black sticker - an action which HTC says has invalidated the warranty on my phone. They have now created a return reference for me, but I'm likely to be hit with a big bill for repair if/when I send the phone in.

I understand that confusing a sticker for a button is a stupid thing to do, but I can't change what I did and I genuinely thought that I was pressing a button on the back of the phone.

Is there any possible solution without having to send the phone in to HTC?

Thank you,
    Craig.
    Repaired

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I sent my phone in and the repair was carried out under warranty.

Regards,
    Craig.
    @wannes I had the same problem and what I did was use Ace Advanced Hack Kit and I downloaded the gingerbread rom and flash that through Ace and YOU WILL LOSE ROOT but if you want to root just use Ace to root it. Hope it helps

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

For the record to help some of you out who ended up here Googling: I had a similar issue. My HTC Desire SV did not boot, and when charging, only had an orange flashing light, and the phone vibrated 7 times. I did 2 things that got it back up:
    1) left the phone off for say 10 minutes (I read about overheating issues in general, although the phone did not feel hot).
    2) removed the battery for a couple of minutes.

VERY IMPORTANT: for step 2: make sure to have the battery removed long enough to drain internal charge. I removed and installed the battery in a second or so at first, and still the phone did not boot. After leaving out the battery long enough, it booted again. It appears to me that the issue in my case was a rather big internal charge capacity which kept internal state (memory and/or CPU?) from booting. Hope this helps...