• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Desire S "Grip of Death"

Search This thread

JonathonDesmond

Jul 30, 2006
London
I've got a brand new Desire S and I love it. Fast, smooth, responsive. Battery life (OK, over my total 2 days of ownership only!) has been brilliant - 9% drop overnight for example.

I'm about to return it.

Why? Because of one thing that makes it almost unusable.

I am, of course, referring to the "Grip of Death" - as per the iPhone 4.

There are a few oblique references to this on the net, but I can't find any detailed posts.

Some mention has been made about this only being a WiFi issue, and it is true that WiFi is badly affected. However I also see 3G signal drops when I hold the phone in portrait mode with my hand wrapping around the base (as most people would in normal "phone" use) - which is, of course, where the antenna is (incorporated into the battery cover)

The WiFi drops on mine are tragic - I can be 3 metres from an access point and if you hold the phone incorrectly (!) the WiFi signal drops out completely and you are on 3G data. Even if directly under the AP you can easily get the signal indicator to drop from full to under 50%.

However the 3G drops are also bad. In my flat, which has a good signal, I can get to one or zero bars of 3G signal just by picking up the phone.

So I have a phone that is unreliable in picking up calls, switches to 3G data when there is a perfectly good AP just nearby, and is basically, generally unreliable.

It's a shame because, apart from this, it's a brilliant little device.

Am I the only one affected this badly? Maybe I have a poor example?

I have a case arriving today to see if it will help. Otherwise it's back to the shop!

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
hmm..you are the first person to report a drop in 3g signal
can any one else confirm this?
or is it just that the OP got a defective unit?
(i am unable to test as i still dont have my device yet :( )

Reactions: Or1703
Apr 13, 2011
Just tried it on my DS, but the death grip does not influence my 3G signal.

With wifi on, I manage to lose only a little bit of signal while holding it in such an unnatural way that it will never occur using it normally.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Just tried it on my DS, but the death grip does not influence my 3G signal.

With wifi on, I manage to lose only a little bit of signal while holding it in such an unnatural way that it will never occur using it normally.

can you try covering the back of your device as much as you can with your hands & test the wifi & 3g signal?
it would be very helpful for us

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Covered the back as much as I could, no problems with 3G, Wifi drops to zero...
i am relived that there is no 3g signal drop
the wifi part is a bit depressing but i can manage without wifi...(but hope they fix it somehow)

@JonathonDesmond i think you got a defective unit try returning it for a new piece
& also tell us if the case helped

Last edited:

fallenguru

Apr 14, 2011
Ok, a few tests, as long as I still have it:

Portrait mode:
No issues in normal one- or two-handed operation.
As soon as something, e. g. my hand, covers the top plastic part at the back the wifi signal goes from all bars down to the dot, or disconnects entirely. I'm not so sure about the mobile signal, some of the time it drops to about half the bars it's had before, but with a considerable delay, and it's a bit erratic at the best of times, so it might just as well be other (environmental) causes.

Landscape:
I really only do this two-handed, with the left hand holding the phone, fingers bunched behind it, thumb in front, covering the HTC logo and first few mm of the screen; the right hand operates and/or stabilizes the phone.
This instantly kills the wifi stone cold dead. 3G actually stayed the same or got better(!)

To sum up: wifi is badly affected to the point of uselessness, 3G doesn't seem to be.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
hmm..
can you try the wifi again in landscape? this time without touching the aluminum part of the phone?
(dont cover the aluminum part with your hand or any other item)

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
it is a bit tricky i know (dont drop your phone trying lol)
how about putting on top of two books?(such that the books only touch the plastic :D)
i just want to know if it is the metal chassis which is causing this problem

fallenguru

Apr 14, 2011
Good thinking! :cool:

Desire S propped up on two stacks of books so that nothing touches the alu parts: all bars. (It did drop one bar from time to time, but that's just normal fluctuations, whereas putting it down on a desk or something reliably takes it down a notch.)

fallenguru

Apr 14, 2011
please people contact htc
Why? We arent't their QA department and I've no hopes of getting more than ... err ... yes, "You're holding it wrong." in soothing customer rep speak. Raising awareness of the issue is the best one can do, IMHO - once the tech mainstream press picks this up there's at least a chance of a fix. (That is, if one is actually possible, it might be a concession to the design.)

E-Tech

Apr 15, 2009
Why? We arent't their QA department and I've no hopes of getting more than ... err ... yes, "You're holding it wrong." in soothing customer rep speak. Raising awareness of the issue is the best one can do, IMHO - once the tech mainstream press picks this up there's at least a chance of a fix. (That is, if one is actually possible, it might be a concession to the design.)

i'm in contact whit the HTC Dutch support desk. After a view mails whit the 1st line of support they send me to the technical support.

It looks like that they are doing there job.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Good thinking! :cool:

Desire S propped up on two stacks of books so that nothing touches the alu parts: all bars. (It did drop one bar from time to time, but that's just normal fluctuations, whereas putting it down on a desk or something reliably takes it down a notch.)

just as i thought it is the metal chasis....
i have heard that wifi has problems passing through metal...
if this really is the reason then i think nothing much can be done:( ...
can someone else also verify this?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmm..you are the first person to report a drop in 3g signal
    can any one else confirm this?
    or is it just that the OP got a defective unit?
    (i am unable to test as i still dont have my device yet :( )
    i am relived that there is no 3g signal drop
    the wifi part is a bit depressing but i can manage without wifi...(but hope they fix it somehow)

You will never hold the phone like I did when using the phone normally. I pressed some buttons with my nose :D