Desktop mode is AWESOME!

Search This thread

j137

Apr 11, 2019
Does your P20 Pro crash and reboot while mirroring amazon prime video in the phone modus?
Happens in my case using several hubs.
Doesn't happen using a Samsung HDMI Converter without pd.

j137

Apr 11, 2019
It's a logitech bluetooth wireless receiver thing - I can't connect it straight to the phone so the receiver dongle goes into a USB port.

Anyhow, I hooked up and cheapo optical mouse to each of the USB ports and it didn't light up so I'm sending it back as defective.

Now just need to find an alternative - I might just try another HD-500 and see if that one works but once bitten, twice shy lol.

Do you have success with your second unit?
I've the same issue. No USB device will be registered.

Saison2018

My Microsoft HD-500 Display Dock (got on Ebay) was sealed and looked like new but allowed me only to display.
No USB devices were detected (keyboard, mouse,....)
I was able to test a HP USB-C dock for a week-end (which was amazing) and all my devices were detected and it was AWESOME to use my P20 Pro with a big screen.
I advise every one to be careful with Microsoft dock, USB devices seem to not work very well.

shoobirdy

Mar 4, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro

No the second one I got was exactly the same.

I ended up getting the attached. I'm sure it was cheaper when I bought it and I don't know where you are but I'm sure they do something similar all over the world. It worked fine first time so no complaints from me.

Lenovo seem to do quite a few different usb-c docks which I was going to try out until I got my one...just didn't want to spend so much as they were about £30 at the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190419_191551_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419_191551_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 300

Wiggums

Nov 17, 2007
Those with SMS / Messaging Issues

Before, I was able to drag it into the task bar and it worked.

After the update, now I can't get it to work there, but I found a way around it.

Just go to Google app in Desktop Mode and type in "Text (NAME OF PERSON)"

Hope that helps, I wish I thought of that a long time ago... it seems to work that way.

Then if the person texts you back, the Messaging app appears.

trinec

Apr 18, 2008
Zürich
Today I had some time, resetted my P20 and tried again to make a potential daly driver as a desktop replacement.

I got rid of some annoying things:
-> Keyboard, swtiched to GBoard to get rid of the prediction bar of Swiftkey (took too much space in Desktop mode)
-> Termux with multiple packages as a perfext Terminal emulator
-> Replaced Chrome with Chrome beta which has a much better support (scaling possibilities) for Desktop mode
-> Replaced Gmail with native Huawei Mailclient that even allows SMIME etc.
-> Installed SuperClone to Clone Chrome beta to make sure this can be running multiple times and not only one window
-> Searched for multiple App-replacements to make sure these Apps will work in Desktop mode (e.g Feedly replaced by Palabre etc.)

Now, I can say it is "usable" - had no issues, tried my successfully everyday workflow. Only the poor resolution still annoys me, would hope for WQHD or a HighDPI 4k mode. Unfortunately my USB-C dock seems not to charge it properly (connected to the original charger). Suddenly I got a battery low message.

edmun

Jan 3, 2007
Birmingham
I only have a simple USB-c to HDMI cable. desktop mode works but I still have not figured out how to configure this "app". is there any way to add anything? Netflix?

SmashinMachine

May 13, 2019
Hi,
Everyone use these easy projection with some docks, hdmi adapters etc. Did someone try it with an usb-c monitor with kvm switches like dell u4919dw or lg 34wk95c?
Thanks in advice

culiacanazo

I only have a simple USB-c to HDMI cable. desktop mode works but I still have not figured out how to configure this "app". is there any way to add anything? Netflix?
What do you mean add anything? I watch perfectly Freeflix HQ, which is a, as you can imagine, Netflix look alike type of app, and you can even download. Pretty damn good if you ask me, and it's apparently only like 3 months behind compared to Netflix, and free! Also YouTVPlayer (that's like having the premium subscription to your cable company in Spanish, tho), HBO, Disney, ESPN, the bunny, Discovery, MTV, all of them!
I get a warning on my screen about protected content but they play nonetheless.
Heavily ad-ridden, but, you guys are smart; afterwards, they're perfect.
The only thing is that lately i can't get wireless projection to work. But the cable is still holding up a charge and all while projecting. It's also long as f*"k, so no issues there.
Try long clicking in your drawer in the device and choosing project! I tried to answer your question but I'm not sure

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

Attachments

• IMG_20190521_061701.jpg
    IMG_20190521_061701.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 298

trinec

Apr 18, 2008
Zürich
After migrating my Desktop to Desktop mode of my P20, I think I‘ll get stuck on this and will never see an upgrade for this anymore. I‘m still missing notifications popups like Dex... Maybe the native Desktop Mode of Android Q will make it better.

culiacanazo

After migrating my Desktop to Desktop mode of my P20, I think I‘ll get stuck on this and will never see an upgrade for this anymore. I‘m still missing notifications popups like Dex... Maybe the native Desktop Mode of Android Q will make it better.
I don't know how Dex does it but I'm not missing anything. Can you elaborate? Perhaps i can help.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

trinec

Apr 18, 2008
Zürich
I don't know how Dex does it but I'm not missing anything. Can you elaborate? Perhaps i can help.

Unfortunately a lot...

- Missing Dual monitor
- No (W)QHD support
- No custom icon scaling
- No overall system wide settings for scaling
- No possibility to show upcoming notifications (only the red dot that marks that there's anything)
- Missing possibility to remap external keyboard layout (qwerty, qwertz, kyrillic)
- Missing custom shortcuts (e.g. STRG + Y) will open Mailclient,...
[...]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wanted to give a shoutout to the desktop mode. I connected my USB-C dock to the phone and very impressed with how seamless it is. Experience is truly like a desktop

* PD pass through charging is working.
    * Hooked up a BT mouse and BT keyboard.
    * Sound volume is high from phone!
    * Websites automatically seem to open in desktop mode when using chrome in EMUI desktop mode, which is very well thought out.
    * Phone automatically found my canon wireless printer in the network and prints. Didn't have to futz with drivers or printer setup etc.
    * Clicking on relevant links automatically opens the app on the phone that corresponds. i.e., Amazon, Youtube, etc..

Samsung has it all wrong with needing a special dock etc. Huawei has done this right.
    Here's a photo. IMG_20180517_191400.jpeg
    I don't know, maybe I've got to stop smoking that stuff, but every time I've seen your Avatar and at first glance (you know, the first few seconds) it looks like Speedy Gonzalez lol
    lol - stop smoking, keep drinking - cheers :good:

btw, first time... signup is almost 10 years ago ;)
    I bought a cheap, generic Tuwejia adapter from Amazon.. it has USB/HDMI/USB-C going to USB-C. I am very pleased with it, it does a great job!

My big Dell keyboard works well and the big trackball mouse is attached via the keyboard, not the adapter, and both work very well. The USB-C charges the phone very well. The HDMI part.. I do not believe it's the adapter's fault, it's my cheap 2K monitor. Okay.. here it goes..

I had another generic adapter similar in size and shape, but it was plastic. The phone never charged on that one. The Tuwejia feels solid and the cover is metal, aluminum? The phone charges very well on that one.

I am using a cheap QNIX monitor (QX2710) and it seems my phone's showing 640 x 480 (I can't tell but it's really bad) on my big 27" 2K monitor.

I had the same problem with my LG V20 so I would take it to the big 1080p TV in the living room and the phone would somehow "reset" itself to 1080p instead of lower resolution.

I tried it again with the P20 Pro and it displayed 1080p in the living room but when I brought it back to my office, it was still very low resolution. It doesn't seem the phone resets itself after being hooked up to a 1080p monitor.

Again, I don't think it's the adapter at all. It's the monitor, I'm almost sure of this.

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to Best Buy and got a Samsung 4K monitor.. I am happy to report it's now much better so it was the cheap monitor. I have the adapter and have been using it like a desktop for the past hour. It's still showing 100% charge. I have my USB keyboard and mouse attached. It's wonderful!
    Wanted to give a shoutout to the desktop mode. I connected my USB-C dock to the phone with PD pass through charging. Hooked up a BT mouse and BT keyboard and the experience is truly like a desktop. Sound volume is high from phone!

Samsung has it all wrong with needing a special dock etc. Huawei has done this right.

I'd love to try this. Can you share which USB-C dock you are using? I've read that some may advertise PD pass-through but the phone doesn't actually charge when connected. Thanks!