• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Detailed Guide for Flashing ROMs in POCO X3 / NFC (Karna & Surya)

Search This thread

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
How about from MIUI Global to MIUI EU ? I've found a 12.0.7.0, not sure but it seems to be EU rom, right?

I'm sorry to quote myself but if I'm not sure of what to do. I'm still on stock rom, with which I bought the phone 2 months ago. Often my X3 remembers to me "hey dude, u've to update to 12.0.7.0 !!" :cool:

But I'm waiting... 'cause I'm not sure. I'm on stock rom, yeah, but:

* the bootloader is unlocked
* the recovery is the latest version of OrangeFox
* I've the root ( why living without it ?! )
* Magisk 21409 fully working ( and often updated )

So my doubts... IT'S POSSIBLE TO UPDATE VIA OTA ? What're the risks ? Or it's better to flash the ZIP file of this Global Rom and simply WIPE CACHE & DALVIK ?

I don't want to brick my new device...

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
ZTE Axon 7
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
IT'S POSSIBLE TO UPDATE VIA OTA ? What're the risks ? Or it's better to flash the ZIP file of this Global Rom and simply WIPE CACHE & DALVIK ?

Last time I tried that, it failed and ended in a boot to recovery loop. Mind you, that was following the auto-update prompt. If I recall it correctly, some people reported sucess locating the OTA update file, rebooting to recovery and flashing it, but please don't take my word for it.

Rule of thumb is MIUI OTA updates expect stock recovery to be able to work automatically.

Also, please use bold or underline instead of all-caps, it's easier on the eyes. :)

Reactions: PYCON

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
Last time I tried that, it failed and ended in a boot to recovery loop. Mind you, that was following the auto-update prompt. If I recall it correctly, some people reported sucess locating the OTA update file, rebooting to recovery and flashing it, but please don't take my word for it.

Rule of thumb is MIUI OTA updates expect stock recovery to be able to work automatically.

Also, please use bold or underline instead of all-caps, it's easier on the eyes. :)

Sorry man for uppercase (y) Ok, so it's better avoiding to update via OTA. But I've also the ZIP file of the full Global rom 12.0.7.0.

It's possible to dirty flash it ? From current 12.0.4.0 to 12.0.7.0 ? Using OrangeFox of course ( I suppose to have to flash Magisk immediately after the rom, before rebooting the device ).

I've to wipe cache and dalvik maybe ?

:unsure:

Last edited:

Berik84

Sorry man for uppercase (y) Ok, so it's better avoiding to update via OTA. But I've also the ZIP file of the full Global rom 12.0.7.0.

It's possible to dirty flash it ? From current 12.0.4.0 to 12.0.7.0 ? Using OrangeFox of course ( I suppose to have to flash Magisk immediately after the rom, before rebooting the device ).

I've to wipe cache and dalvik maybe ?

:unsure:
I've actually managed to update via OTA today from 12.0.7.0 to 12.0.8.0 EU version with OFox, all it did after I pressed update in MIUI settings it rebooted to OFox, flashed the OTA and rebooted into system, but I was rooted before with Magisk so I guess that maybe helped? I lost the magisk root but I was able to reboot back to OFox and flash the Magisk zip to get root again.

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
ZTE Axon 7
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4

Can't say, no experience. I expect yes.

Backup beforehand (search forum).

Don't wipe, after all it's stock. Don't flash Magisk immediately.

Reboot to system and verify the update worked firstly.

Then reboot to recovery and flash Magisk.

That way, no doubt will linger about the update. YMMV, though.

And what about from custom rom back to MIUI? It would be nice to have that added for people who want to rollback...

I'll take a guess, please correct me where I'm wrong.
Most people will have OFox and Magisk installed with unlocked bootloader.

- download full MIUI image (someone has a link? Is Region specific important?)

- reboot to OFox

- wipe caches and format data

- install MIUI image

- reboot first

- check if everything is fine

- reboot to OFox and flash magisk

- done?

Result is a rooted MIUI rom with unlocked bootloader and magisk.

Reactions: PYCON

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
ZTE Axon 7
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
I think the recommended way -- from others who have done it, which I haven't -- is to download full MIUI ROM (>2GB) and flash it with MiFlash, taking extra care not to relock the bootloader.

Lollauser

Jan 17, 2011
Moto G
Xiaomi Mi 4C
I apologize for the question, but...how do you tell if your device is encrypted or not?
Some are and some aren't, even on stock miui?
For example, mine Surya is now back from a Mi Flash of the latest eea_global, following a failed attempt to flash another rom. Now i want to have another go at flashing, how can i verify encryption, before starting?

Kherham

May 8, 2017
Joinville - SC
Well, I got a Poco X3 NFC (Surya) and have this problem from screenshot. I've tried with TWRP and OFox, both in lastest version.

Tried flashing this too:
decrypted-SURYA_firmware_vendor-Global_V12.0.8.0.QJGMIXM
Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020
fw-vendor_surya_miui_SURYAGlobal_V12.0.2.0.QJGMIXM_c8f2531a02_10.0

If I have to do any changes, I have to use format data again and then flash a new rom, magisk and anything else I have to do and this point, cause if I reboot, this problem is back.

Any solution for this? On my MI8 (dipper) I did all procedures and never had the storage encrypted. Is it possible to have it decrypted forever?

Attachments

• ecrypted.jpeg
    ecrypted.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 46

Aabhusan

May 4, 2018
You saved me. I had properly unlocked bootloader, flashed OrangeFox but then I did the wipes and also mistakely formated data, so I couldn't send files from PC to phone to flash the custom rom.
Guess I could've just used the usb otg at this point, but I reflashed MIUI with a script, and reflashed OrangeFox and now I'm good to go.
Hey man, I also installed a rom but it didn't work so I formatted my device. Now, I cant move file into the phone from a PC. Any help?

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
Hi, I'm on karna (which is still on Android 10). I managed to install (and keep) Orange Fox recovery, but any AOSP Rom I try to install (both Android 10 or 11), even formatting data, is rebooting into recovery. Reading this post seems I have to flash an unencrypted vendor.

I also tryed to flash the decrypted vendor from here (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/patch-disable-encryption-for-xiaomi-eu-rom.4190949/) and I can't boot any custom ROM. I tested also flashing the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt zip after the ROM, but with no luck.

I can't believe this is the only phone I can't use a custom ROM in my life...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom ROMs are one of the best things about Android. One of the best things about the openness of the Android platform is that if you're unhappy with the stock OS, you can install one of many modified versions of Android (called ROMs) on your device. A new ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer does, or it can replace your manufacturer-modded version of Android with a clean, stock version. But with the introduction of the dynamic partition flashing Custom ROMs are a bit tricky. In this post, I will run you through the steps of flashing Custom ROMs on your Poco X3.

Pre-requisites:
    Unlocked Bootloader
    Custom Recovery

Note:- Always create a backup of your important files before flashing.

Steps:-
    From MIUI to Custom ROM
    Encrypted

Copy the Custom ROMs zip to your sdcard or your OTG flash drive.
    Boot to the recovery.
    Flash the required firmware mentioned for the ROM.
    Reboot your recovery.
    Flash the Custom ROM.
    And then format data [**This will wipe your internal storage**]
    Reboot (Flash magisk if you want root after the first boot)

Decrypted
    Flash this decrypted vendor
    Flash the custom rom
    Format data and reboot

From Custom ROMs to Another Custom ROM
    Encrypted

**Backup your internal storage, incase something gets wrong**
    Remove your lockscreen password
    Boot to the recovery
    Wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache
    Flash Custom ROM
    Reboot

** If the device bootloops Format Data **

Decrypted
    *If your device is encrypted*
    Flash the decrypted vendor
    Flash the custom rom
    Format data and reboot

*If your device is already decrypted*
    Wipe data and cache
    Flash rom
    Reboot

Notes:-
    For encrypted people
    Always create a backup of your internal storage.
    Format data while upgrading from one android version to another.
    Downgrading firmware may also require data format
    Moving from Gapps build to non-gapps build or vice versa also requires fata format

For decrypted people
    You don't need to flash the decrypted vendor everytime unless you come from miui
    The vendor will not work on miui

All credits to POCO X3 Developers & Custom ROM Community.

Regards,
    Polvolt
    I thought current custom recoveries don't check for rollback protection (yet)?

It's probably safe to be flashing stock firmwares via custom recovery if you are sure you know what you're doing. But this guide seem to appeal to new comers. Should we suggest they stick to using Mi Flash tool for flashing stock firmwares as it has rollback protection checks?

Or am I just out of the loop and this is no longer the case with custom recoveries for surya/karna?

Thanks for the guide btw. Greatly appreciated.

I miss manually flashing each partition files via fastboot like when I was on my Nexus devices and my Essential PH-1. I have not seen a guide that recommends or even teaches us to flash partitions manually.
    Yes it is safe to flash stock fw via custom recovery. ARB hasn't been implemented on surya yet.
    Well manual flashing each partition using fastboot on surya is much more complicated. Dynamic partition work differently. In short one have to boot to fastboot than boot to fastbootd than you can flash rom
    You saved me. I had properly unlocked bootloader, flashed OrangeFox but then I did the wipes and also mistakely formated data, so I couldn't send files from PC to phone to flash the custom rom.
    Guess I could've just used the usb otg at this point, but I reflashed MIUI with a script, and reflashed OrangeFox and now I'm good to go.
    Hello
    I'm new to Xiaomi phones! For the love of God someone tell me how do I flash roms on my poco x3 nfc Note ( I've been flashing roms for years but not Xiaomi phones ). What ever I flash it works but after I attempt to flash another rom files in sd card get corrupt and I format data that doesn't gonna do anything! So please someone tell me how do I flash roms on this phone. My phone is encrypted I was on MIUI global
    I have 6 days to wait for unlocking the device. I can't wait to get rid of the Mi UI mess and bloat. I haven't had to do a complicated (for me) phone flash process like this since a Motorola phone in 2014. I have a a few questions:
    1- Do I need to add/install adb drivers to my WIN10 PC? I came across win adb drivers for the POCO in my search for Windows PC drivers. Which version of adb is needed for Win10? I currently have abd my laptop, but I can't determine the version.
    2- Installing the recovery - I see the steps some have posted with TWRP versions, but I'm not really clear on this. Do I go to the folder with TWRP in it and then use a command prompt from there? TWRP or Orange Fox and what version? The posts are confusing.
    3- I'd like to have the easiest rom flash for my first go at this phone. I would appreciate a recommendation for which rom might be the best one to start with. I will be want gapps as part of the process, but could flash afterwards if its better that way. Is Arrow OS or Havoc a good choice?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks