Details needed to Assist Asus in troubleshooting I/O schedule errors and other issues

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hey guys. I am creating this thread to assist Asus in identifying the apps related to the I/O issues, and how to resolve them. The majority of the Asus beta testers are not having the same issues that some are having, so it is not easy for Asus to come up with a fix to resolve the problems such as screen flickering, SOD, browser/general lag and gaming issues. The issues seems to stem from how the I/O scheduler allocates cpu usage for each app that requires background processes, so it's harder for Asus to solve this issue as not all Primes are running the same apps/system "enhancers'. Please take a few seconds to take a screenshot and/or list all your running processes, and list the current issues that you are having with your Primes. Also, as requested, please also go to settings/apps, running. Then after grabbing a screenshot, select the "Show cached processes" in upper left corner as this information can also prove to be very useful to Asus. Once we can determine the common app(s) running for those who are having issues, the easier it would be for Asus to pinpoint the problems. Since Demandarin is in direct contact with Gary, he can forward this info to him. This will be extremely helpful.

Also, please don't post how you shouldn't have to do this, as it should work already. If you don't want to help fix your Prime, then dont post here. There are some with real issues, and there are some who while they do have issues, also like to troll just to keep the flames burning. Instead of us continually posting about the issues we are having, let's take two minutes to try and resolve them. It will also be great for those with NO issues to also post here, so we can see what processes they have running compared to those WITH issues.

For my Prime, I do not have ANY flickering, rebooting or gaming issues anymore. My running apps according to my Prime are as follows-

-Settings (of course)
-Apex launcher
-Volume+
-Rotate
-NVCPL Service (Android process)
-com.asus.keyboard(android service)
-Google Services
-Google maps
-Asus Sync

640mb of free memory

Hopefully this thread can be made into a sticky, thank you all for your time.

Last edited:

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I read your pm. once this gets rolling, ill forward it. ;)

Thanks Demandarin. This would be great for not only Asus, but all of us. Besides Assisting Asus in identifying the I/O issues, if there are a few misbehaving apps(which I bet is a BIG cause of some issues), this thread can help pinpoint it.

Rebelwithoutacause

Mar 21, 2012
Here is a screenshot of all the processes/apps running in the background on my Prime.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340107872857.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340107872857.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Reactions: MRCANNADY

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Hey guys. I am creating this thread to assist Asus in identifying the apps related to the I/O issues, and how to resolve them. The majority of the Asus beta testers are not having the same issues that some are having, so it is not easy for Asus to come up with a fix to resolve the problems such as screen flickering, SOD, browser/general lag and gaming issues. The issues seems to stem from how the I/O scheduler allocates cpu usage for each app that requires background processes, so it's harder for Asus to solve this issue as not all Primes are running the same apps/system "enhancers'. Please take a few seconds to take a screenshot and/or list all your running processes, and list the current issues that you are having with your Primes. Once we can determine the common app(s) running for those who are having issues, the easier it would be for Asus to pinpoint the problems. Since Demandarin is in direct contact with Gary, he can forward this info to him. This will be extremely helpful.

Also, please don't post how you shouldn't have to do this, as it should work already. If you don't want to help fix your Prime, then dont post here. There are some with real issues, and there are some who while they do have issues, also like to troll just to keep the flames burning. Instead of us continually posting about the issues we are having, let's take two minutes to try and resolve them. It will also be great for those with NO issues to also post here, so we can see what processes they have running compared to those WITH issues.

For my Prime, I do not have ANY flickering, rebooting or gaming issues anymore. My running apps according to my Prime are as follows-

-Settings (of course)
-Apex launcher
-Volume+
-Rotate
-Google Services
-Google maps
-Asus Sync

Running process... this changes routinely depending the app being used. Also, if you go that route, you should basically ask everyone to list ALL apps that each individual has installed.

Also, you should ask for static data on background process & app that are causing each issue. As far as I understand.. with absolutely diverse behavior of Transformer Primes... it's nearly impossible to obtain such static data. That & with .28 update... it isn't easy to replicate all the issues. They happen sporadically... and randomly.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Running process... this changes routinely depending the app being used. Also, if you go that route, you should basically ask everyone to list ALL apps that each individual has installed.

Also, you should ask for static data on background process & app that are causing each issue. As far as I understand.. with absolutely diverse behavior of Transformer Primes... it's nearly impossible to obtain such static data. That & with .28 update... it isn't easy to replicate all the issues. They happen sporadically... and randomly.

They do, but their are some apps that are constantly running and/or restarting. Also, apps that are not running are not required as they are not using cpu or being allocated in the I/O Scheduler.

I understand what you are saying, but again, since Asus is not using a large beta testing group, it will help them to see what issues each poster is having, and the apps that they are currently running. This really takes not time to post, but if it helps, then we cll can enjoy our $500+ tablets right?

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
They do, but their are some apps that are constantly running and/or restarting. Also, apps that are not running are not required as they are not using cpu or being allocated in the I/O Scheduler.

I understand what you are saying, but again, since Asus is not using a large beta testing group, it will help them to see what issues each poster is having, and the apps that they are currently running. This really takes not time to post, but if it helps, then we cll can enjoy our $500+ tablets right?

You should ask for background process as soon as they reboot (but most likely, all the basic ones will be shared by all).

After that... background process after the initial reboot once those "few" apps that restart & changes and etc... I for one.. have no idea how you will obtain this information nor how credible it actually will be.

Also, to capture background process when "issues" do arise...

And since they are sporadic, you will need "data" from over a long stretch of period for all "data" & information on all APPs installed.

dalew729

Sep 18, 2007
Spokane, WA
BCO, .28, not rooted, 32gb, keyboard dock

Do not have any flickering, ANR's, rebooting, plays hd movies great (mp4), about 5 hours of battery life with constant use (tablet only, no dock). I do have an occasional pause when scrolling internet (Opera Mobile).

Running apps:
Settings
Lookout
Tripit
NvCPL Service
com.asus.keyboard
Google Services
Maps
Asus Sync

Ram: 358MB used, 631MB free

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009

Do not have any flickering, ANR's, rebooting, plays hd movies great (mp4), about 5 hours of battery life with constant use (tablet only, no dock). I do have an occasional pause when scrolling internet (Opera Mobile).

Running apps:
Settings
Lookout
Tripit
NvCPL Service
com.asus.keyboard
Google Services
Maps
Asus Sync

Thank you! Seeing the running processes for people with NO issues as well as people who do is great as the different processes can be compared.

Also, thing to note is that I also have the same amount of free memory as you do.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
You should ask for background process as soon as they reboot (but most likely, all the basic ones will be shared by all).

After that... background process after the initial reboot once those "few" apps that restart & changes and etc... I for one.. have no idea how you will obtain this information nor how credible it actually will be.

Also, to capture background process when "issues" do arise...

And since they are sporadic, you will need "data" from over a long stretch of period for all "data" & information on all APPs installed.

no, we need the background processes that have been running, there is no need to only request processes after a fresh reboot as the app(s) in question might not be running at that time.

While I appreciate your info, let's keep this thread on topic of what is requested. If you do not want to provide the info, then there is no need to post here. XDA is about solving issues, not just complaining about them.

Thanks

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
I'm not sure if you understand how I/O scheduler works. Here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_scheduling

To get some "credible" data... you should ask for "factory reset" & background process info. after that... & how it performs.

And after that, I/O performance of each "app" & how it gets prioritizes in the background process... & how it effects the system.

But with extremely diverse behavior of each Prime from BK/BC batch to whatever C batch that it is released...

Simply getting background process of one "period" isn't going to do anything.

Edit: And I won't post anymore in this thread.

kdn102

Sep 29, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa
Why doesn't ASUS just buy the problem Primes from us and replace them? Then they solve two birds with one stone: they have Primes to test and the people with problems get a new prime.

Of course, if it is truly just a problem with certain apps then replacing the Prime won't help the end user, other than let them know that ASUS is taking this seriously.

Reactions: 31Cats

whycali

Apr 21, 2010
CurrentWidget aint worth a damn otherwise but it does do a good job of logging all applications if you set up the log correctly.

com.android.email;com.manor.currentwidget;com.android.systemui;com.android.phone;com.nuance.xt9.input;com.google.process.gapps;system;android.process.acore;com.asus.filemanager;com.android.launcher;com.nvidia.NvCPLSvc;com.dropbox.android;com.google.android.apps.maps:NetworkLocationService;com.asus.DLNA;com.asus.pcsynctool:auth;com.asus.keyboard;com.mobisystems.editor.office_registered:search;youtube.download.helper.v1;com.facebook.katana;

since .28 I have been introduced to

screen flicker
google search will just crash on occasion if I start typing on my keyboard
taskbar hopping

all can be fixed with a soft reset until whatever happens to offend my prime starts up again.
I will post a log from current widget if my prime gets the shakes again.

By the way: I have never seen an anr on any app since browser2ram

Last edited:

TBacker

Sep 12, 2008
Might I suggest that looking for specific apps causing / having issues may not be the correct course of action for Asus?

Most of the research done by fairly knowledgeable end users points to a common issue - the extremely slow write performance of the main device storage.

I'm sincerely hoping that this isn't headed down the workaround road. If the I/O were fixed, the app lag issues would be fixed, and Asus would have a lot of very happy and content Prime users.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

Last edited:

whycali

Apr 21, 2010
Might I suggest that looking for specific apps causing / having issues may not be the correct course of action for Asus?

Most of the research done by fairly knowledgeable end users points to a common issue - the extremely slow write performance of the main device storage.

I'm sincerely hoping that this isn't headed down the workaround road. If the I/O were fixed, the app lag issues would be fixed, and Asus would have a lot of very happy and content Prime users.

I agree with the first sentence but am pretty sure its not slow write causing screen flicker

TBacker

Sep 12, 2008
I agree with the first sentence but am pretty sure its not slow write causing screen flicker

Agreed - and that issue needs to be resolved.

The lags and hesitations, however, are affecting everyone to some degree, in a way that more heavily impacts productivity and enjoyment. I would venture that it's the biggest current issue.

Surely Asus can run read / write tests internally and track down a cause. They just need to be properly motivated....

Tempie007

Dec 15, 2010
Its good to see initiatives to send stuff to asus, i will wait for problems to occur, and will make a screenshot when it happens. Although i dont see relation to background apps.

- One of my issues is that the stock browser is slow as hell, crashes and gives ANR messages.

The fact that CFQ IO scheduler improves the browser and the fact that browser2RAM resolves it in total , combined with the really bad benchmark results on writes to internal sd, to me makes clear that this is caused by the slow internal memory. This is a structural problem, it does not matter what background process is running.

- Further CFQ io scheduler improves overall stability, less ANR, less lockups while installing Apps. I guess ASUS is able to install an app and browse the web at one time? Also i am pretty sure that there are asus employees who have old android flagship phones to compare.
Again i see no relation to which apps are running in the background.

Asus needs to look at what people in these forums all ready achieved. Motley with his kernel, wooky with his ROM, the sqlite thread, browser2ram and so on.
There isnt an App that causes all this! Problem lies at OS/driver/hardware level!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Blairware

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Edit: removed rant/concerns as correctly identified by op

OP, as long as we are trying to identify what currently running/in memory, could we ask that people go to settings/apps, Running. Then after grabbing a screenshot, select the "Show cached processes" in upper left corner (this is new to .28, is it not?) In any event, it could prove useful, and people are right there anyway.

Here are my 2: First is running apps, second is cached processes

My issues are ANR's from Browser, SOD (None yet on .28 ) and Games that stutter and freeze (even with the OPS Destroying all activities) as I leave them, and Background Process Limit) I DO have BETTER results with Background Processes limited to 1, but search fails and a few apps will not run. I have compromised with 2 and sometimes 3 background processes for a "decent" improvement, in most cases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-19-22-31-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-19-22-31-40.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2012-06-19-22-31-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-19-22-31-54.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe there is something I'm missing here but it seems like Asus wants to think the issue is something in userland(such as misbehaving apps). The problem is either hardware or the kernel's handling of hardware.

The first thing Asus needs to do is stop using the NOOP I/O scheduler. Using CFQ will at least partially work around the I/O problems. Slow I/O + NOOP == unresponsive. One of the major reasons to use an I/O scheduler is to prevent I/O starvation. Usually this is due to slow mechanical drive but slow I/O is slow I/O.

The real reason for the slow I/O in the first place is still a mystery to me. However, there are known quirks with the Toshiba MMC32G sdio storage. This is what most of us have in our TF201's. From what I've seen it is possible that the TF201 writes are not properly aligned for the MMC32G which would cause additional I/O ops and thus slow down writes and also potentially reads. There has been a good amount of discussion on how to alleviate these problems in the kernel mailing lists such as: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/6400

Another reason to believe the root of the issue is lower level than userland is because I/O is slow even in recovery with a very minimal userland. My HP TouchPad is approximately 4x as fast in all I/O operations that I've checked.
    Hey guys. I am creating this thread to assist Asus in identifying the apps related to the I/O issues, and how to resolve them. The majority of the Asus beta testers are not having the same issues that some are having, so it is not easy for Asus to come up with a fix to resolve the problems such as screen flickering, SOD, browser/general lag and gaming issues. The issues seems to stem from how the I/O scheduler allocates cpu usage for each app that requires background processes, so it's harder for Asus to solve this issue as not all Primes are running the same apps/system "enhancers'. Please take a few seconds to take a screenshot and/or list all your running processes, and list the current issues that you are having with your Primes. Also, as requested, please also go to settings/apps, running. Then after grabbing a screenshot, select the "Show cached processes" in upper left corner as this information can also prove to be very useful to Asus. Once we can determine the common app(s) running for those who are having issues, the easier it would be for Asus to pinpoint the problems. Since Demandarin is in direct contact with Gary, he can forward this info to him. This will be extremely helpful.

-Settings (of course)
    -Apex launcher
    -Volume+
    -Rotate
    -Google Services
    -Google maps
    -Asus Sync

640mb of free memory

I'm not having many problems overall but Firefox beta/Firefox (it was Firefox beta when I downloaded from Play Store) gives me screen tear on the left side and runs very slow. Just now is the 1st time I've had screen tear. I don't use Firefox because it didn't work right from the start but tried it again because of previous post. Seams to be issue with the app.

My screen shot is below and I'll keep an eye on things and post again when I can help. I'm rooted, a couple mods and on .28.

uploadfromtaptalk1340156088950.jpg

Running apps:
    Settings
    Lookout
    Tripit
    NvCPL Service
    com.asus.keyboard
    Google Services
    Maps
    Asus Sync