Search This thread

34Ford

Mar 17, 2011
North Carolina
I have yet to find the requirements needed and a set of instructions on how to enable the BT.

I have a Holux GPSlim 236 I would like to try.

anonim1

Mar 14, 2011
Instructions are scattered throughout the forums. I also have a GPSlim 236. Bluetooth GPS Provider from the Android Market can talk to your receiver. After enabling the "mock" feature, you can use other software (I use Copilot) for GPS Navigation with your Holux.

Reactions: 34Ford

quinxy

Nov 2, 2006
quinxy.com
Instructions are scattered throughout the forums. I also have a GPSlim 236. Bluetooth GPS Provider from the Android Market can talk to your receiver. After enabling the "mock" feature, you can use other software (I use Copilot) for GPS Navigation with your Holux.

If anyone needs it, I put together a walkthrough that should help even the greenest newbie get a working copy of the latest CyanogenMod 7 OS installed safely on an SD card; for those who don't know, it's a version of Android's cutting, but not bleeding, edge OS, Gingerbread 2.3.3. The instructions include getting Bluetooth enabled. From there anonnim1's advice needs to be taken, you'll need an app to sit in between your BT GPS device and your navigation software (technically the OS).

Walkthrough of installing CyanogenMod 7 w/ Bluetooth on your Nook Color.

^ Quinxy

Reactions: 34Ford

jinp6301

Mar 4, 2011
So is it just me or are others having problems with typing on a bluetooth keyboard?

There is significant lag which causes the nook color to think that I am holding down on keys and pops the symbols up for that letter. I was ok once in a while but its very frustrating trying to type on a keyboard if I have to stop every 5 words.

Just in case someone asks, the keyboard was right next to the nook, so no range problems.

quinxy

Nov 2, 2006
quinxy.com
So is it just me or are others having problems with typing on a bluetooth keyboard?

There is significant lag which causes the nook color to think that I am holding down on keys and pops the symbols up for that letter. I was ok once in a while but its very frustrating trying to type on a keyboard if I have to stop every 5 words.

Just in case someone asks, the keyboard was right next to the nook, so no range problems.

Things are mostly good with my iGo Stowaway keyboard, but I have seen what you describe on a few occasions. Not every five words, more like once a paragraph or two. Are you overclocked? Obviously that might help if it's a CPU busy-ness related problem.

My greater annoyances are:
- in landscape the keyboard arrows work like it's in portrait, so up is right, etc. i'm still teaching my brain to go against the normal rules for this
- the virtual keyboard keeps popping up, i'll close it, type a bit on the real keyboard, but it invariably shows up again. not a huge deal, but wastes real estate i rather like having.
- related to the problem you describe, possibly, sometimes I'll hit shift and it seems to miss the following key up event, and thinks shift was still on. i have to hit shift again to clear it (this isn't a shift lock issue)

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC

Yep. It's the wifi and bluetooth interfering most likely.

Try turning off wifi and see if the problem mostly goes away.

DSP distracted everyone from bluetooth. I think attention will be back on bluetooth soon though.

Reactions: jinp6301

quinxy

Nov 2, 2006
quinxy.com

I found the solution! Buy and install the Null Keyboard! The problem you described was happening to me more so I thought surely there must be a null keyboard which might trap the events... and there was! It stops the virtual keyboard from popping up and stops the capturing of keypresses that seem to trigger the multiselect char boxes. And it lags less, since it isn't doing predictive!

^ Quinxy

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007

psiphi

Jun 4, 2007
DC
www.stilltruth.com

I found that having a charger plugged into the nook while using it can also cause problems... No sure if it interferes with BT antenna, but I know it changes the calibration of the screen as long as its plugged in...

jinp6301

Mar 4, 2011
So has there been any improvements on using a bt keyboard when having wifi/bluetooth on at the same time?

Its a pita to switch between using the keyboard and googling something :(

EDIT: oh missed the null keyboard suggestion. will try that out

trypt

May 4, 2010
What's up with wifi calling over BT headset. I paired my headset and my call went through but we couldn't hear each other.

I'm using cm7 stable built in voip, sipgate, Google voice. OC 1.1ghz

sinanju

Mar 13, 2006
it's a certain protocol standard. it's not like a BT comm port although it does pass data much like a comm port. The app you run on the nook provides aa mock GPS location it gets from the bluetooth connection following that weird protocol.

It is actually a standard BT rfcomm port that is established, though you don't see it, and NMEA 0183 is spoken over that just like in the old days when there was a physical serial cable

Last edited:

ndinfla

Feb 19, 2011
Florida, No im not 100
Gps problems

Looking for some advice . I have set the nook up with bluetooth gps and i am running a globsat-368 device. I can see my location on google mapsfor a short time then no sat info. It seems that when i turn on the wifi to get the map going it boots me out of the bluetooth. When i check my connection it is scanning. It almost seems like it is scanning every 3 mins or so.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

sinanju

Mar 13, 2006
Looking for some advice . I have set the nook up with bluetooth gps and i am running a globsat-368 device. I can see my location on google mapsfor a short time then no sat info. It seems that when i turn on the wifi to get the map going it boots me out of the bluetooth. When i check my connection it is scanning. It almost seems like it is scanning every 3 mins or so.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Right now, WiFi and Bluetooth simply don't get along.

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
I found the solution! Buy and install the Null Keyboard! The problem you described was happening to me more so I thought surely there must be a null keyboard which might trap the events... and there was! It stops the virtual keyboard from popping up and stops the capturing of keypresses that seem to trigger the multiselect char boxes. And it lags less, since it isn't doing predictive!

^ Quinxy

Is there an config for it? I still get long press popups.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

quinxy

Nov 2, 2006
quinxy.com
My experience seems to depend on CPU loading. If I'm using a light editor and the Nook Color is doing very little I have fewer problems. And if I have the Nook Color oriented vertically I get fewer problems (not sure where the antenna is). I've written this entire post and not had the thing pop up once, but a few minutes ago when I was in Gmail and before that in Quick Office it happened quite a few times (all while using Null Keyboard v2). Correction, it. Just happened once. I can hit "Esc" to get rid of the pop up but it is annoying. I adjusted the long press setting in Keyboards - Android (shouldn't matter since I'm using the null keyboard but since it is popping up, something must control it). See if changing the longpress time helps you.

Quinxy

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
My experience seems to depend on CPU loading. If I'm using a light editor and the Nook Color is doing very little I have fewer problems. And if I have the Nook Color oriented vertically I get fewer problems (not sure where the antenna is). I've written this entire post and not had the thing pop up once, but a few minutes ago when I was in Gmail and before that in Quick Office it happened quite a few times (all while using Null Keyboard v2). Correction, it. Just happened once. I can hit "Esc" to get rid of the pop up but it is annoying. I adjusted the long press setting in Keyboards - Android (shouldn't matter since I'm using the null keyboard but since it is popping up, something must control it). See if changing the longpress time helps you.

Quinxy

I have found it is strictly related to wifi activity. If I start a download it becomes very fruity. Turn off wifi and it's fine, but turn on wifi and while it's negotiating the connection it freaks the BT the F!@# out.

I go on break and vactation in ~3 weeks and if it's not addressed by then I'm going to spend a ****load of time figuring it out. I might not fix it, but by god I'm going to try. haha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

The steps : ( use at your own risk and only for comfirmed devs)

Add bluetooth capabilities (HCILL) in kernel
    Toggle the WL12XX_RFKILL flag on in evt1a defconfig.
    Take the bluetooth firmware (bts file) from gforge.ti ( wl1271 firmware) for froyo pandroid and put it into /system/lib/firmware, alias /lib/firmware to /system/lib/firmware (useful for command line).

boot the kernel
    and then
    echo 0 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
    echo 1 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

hciattach -s 115200/dev/ttyS1 texas
    hcitool scan must show you your BT devices (if discoverable)

Stability is not yet here, Maybe some problems with UART high speed handling ?

This is very positive, it seems that the wl1271 chip is well connected to omap3621...

I will continue to dig ...

Occip
    Some news

Hi
    Porting kernel 2.6.32 is so loong.
    Working:
    I2C ( battery gauge + accel)
    Touchscreen
    Button
    MMC

Not working:
    audio
    dsp
    3D
    Wifi
    and bluetooth :(

PS: For FM, antenna must be connected and pcm routed to audio chip. so it will be difficult to get it working...

Stay tuned

Occip
    not yet fully working

Thanks, Yes that's great.

If you think about buying NC for the bluetooth, please wait for full working bluetooth.
    I cannot guarantee a success.
    For BT audio, WL1271 can ouput directly in PCM to sound chip . I don't know if this part is well connected, otherwise over HCI it could be OK...

I continue to dig ...
    Occip
    Hey all any news on this?

Pavlos

I'm working on kernel porting, I will have some news tomorrow.
    My first step is to enable bluetooth in command line and test few bluetooth firmware , as the kernel will not handle wifi,video, touchscreen , audio ,3d and dsp at the beginning.
    If bluetooth is ok i will continue to port recent kernel for the NC by adding features by priority order:
    video
    touchscreen
    wifi
    audio
    3d
    dsp

stay tuned

Occip
    @occip, please setup donation for your efforts. The other poster who offered to team up could work with you and divvy the total as you see fit.

There are too many people asking for this or that and should donate if they want time spent on it.

Suggestions to other interested parties: donate $10 now to kickstart/show appreciation, $20-50 when it's working, $20-50 for occip/team to work on something you specifically desire like volume adjustment, IPtables, etc. I'd confirm with occip that they're even interested in looking into this via a PM and time required/reasonable donation.

BT with GPS, HID, audio, mic capabilities would blow the doors off of this modest 'reader'. Money talks, B$ walks

I'm in for $10 as soon as occip has a donate button :D

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with occip or anyone working on this, just a keen interest in the NC.

FWIW, those of us working on the CM7 port have already put in crazy hours working on various parts. It is not lack of motivation keeping us from doing the work.