[Dev][C#]Google Maps for Windows 10 Universal Platform

Search This thread

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
group300x300.jpg
Hi everyone .
I started a new project for now it named Google Maps Unofficial. It's a C# based app that use MapControl to show Google Maps on the app not like other apps use a simple WebView or a HTML code behind .
I need some developers to help me in completing this project. .

Project Updates :
Update 4 : Now Version 1.35 Alpha is available and pervious versions removed from attachments. see the change log on post #15
Update 3 : Now you can download V1.20 Alpha in attachments and you can see details of this version at #13
this time app is available for both PC and Mobile Platforms (X86,X64 and ARM) maybe it should be deployed on XBOX and HoloLens too.
Update 2 : Now you can download V1.15 Alpha in attachments and you can see details of this version and known issues at #11
Update 1 : Now You can select region to download offline map.

Developers with this skills
MVVM knowledge , Google Maps APIs , MapControl and UWP Experience .

Projects on GitHub:
Current app on GitHub
https://github.com/NGame1/UWPGmaps
Class Library (SDK) for developers :
https://github.com/NGame1/UWPGmaps.SDK
NuGet library :https://www.nuget.org/packages/GMapsUWPSDK

I implemented some basics like showing map in satellite mode and normal road mode and traffic view .
everyone with the mentioned skills and ready to help please let me know in pm or here on topic .
Regards

Attachments

• image_2018-02-09_23-23-27.jpg
    image_2018-02-09_23-23-27.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,731
  • image_2018-02-09_23-23-01.jpg
    image_2018-02-09_23-23-01.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,710
  • image_2018-02-09_23-25-39.jpg
    image_2018-02-09_23-25-39.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,632
  • image_2018-02-09_23-28-07.jpg
    image_2018-02-09_23-28-07.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,354
Last edited:

marianodelfino

Apr 30, 2015
gMaps is a very good google maps client, the only problem is that offline navigation doesn't work. If you can't make that work in your app, then... Any effort is useless. But, don't let my comment discourage you to develop, but keep that in mind.

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
gMaps is a very good google maps client, the only problem is that offline navigation doesn't work. If you can't make that work in your app, then... Any effort is useless. But, don't let my comment discourage you to develop, but keep that in mind.

I implemented a class for offline using but there are some bugs presents.
but the first thing I'm looking for is offline map usage (at least map only without navigation)
If I solve the saving offline map I can look for things like offline finding directions and etc.

Reactions: hosein64

Ani64

Aug 15, 2016
All the best

I implemented a class for offline using but there are some bugs presents.
but the first thing I'm looking for is offline map usage (at least map only without navigation)
If I solve the saving offline map I can look for things like offline finding directions and etc.

I may not help you in code as I am not a full-fledged developer. But I hope you get success in this project. This will be a very good contribution to our phones as the Windows Maps is bad after Creators update.

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
I may not help you in code as I am not a full-fledged developer. But I hope you get success in this project. This will be a very good contribution to our phones as the Windows Maps is bad after Creators update.

yes exactly . after creators update windows maps get awful and exactly that's why I'm thinking about building this app .
I hate google but Microsoft forced me unfortunately

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
As an update for project detail I have to say I finally completed the offline map downloading .
You have to select a region for downloading the offline map and it will download .
Please let me know what you need to be prepared for the first release .
For now I need your basic needs (things you can't live without them lol)

Attachments

• GMAPOfflineSave.png
    GMAPOfflineSave.png
    169 KB · Views: 171

Ani64

Aug 15, 2016
Excited for release.

As an update for project detail I have to say I finally completed the offline map downloading .
You have to select a region for downloading the offline map and it will download .
Please let me know what you need to be prepared for the first release .
For now I need your basic needs (things you can't live without them lol)

I don't say I want these all features in first release. You can take your time ;). I want favorites places to save like Work and Home. And Yes.....organizing those saved places into collections just like on HERE Maps apps. Also driving and Voice navigation can be a part of it.
Wish you all the best for release.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Good idea, my friend! Would you mind to create class library with NuGet package, and share sources on github? I believe this project might be interested for many devs (who still code stuff for UWP of course :) ).

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Good idea, my friend! Would you mind to create class library with NuGet package, and share sources on github? I believe this project might be interested for many devs (who still code stuff for UWP of course :) ).
I didn't share it on git hub but I will do it and also after a bit cI will share it as a DLL or Nuget package too .
I know many guys need this and love to use it in their apps

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
As a very soon pre-release I Will share you the appx on first post .
It contains :
Showing maps as I mentioned in default Road view and Satellite view
and it supports showing traffic and transit
It supports downloading offline map and if downloaded a region offline package if you are offline app automatically use offline map .
Known bugs and issues :
1 - Download Map page : when you select points, Pointers doesn't show the correct position that you selected (they stick to top left of map) but that's ok
2 - Download Map page : Progress Indicator fills many times until download complete, because it show progress of download in each zoom level that app trying to get and it's not showing really true value of progress! I mean it's not reliable at all!
For understanding when download complete wait until app show you Download Complete message
As this app is a very very very first alpha build do not select a large region for downloading offline maps. Please select a region like a City, not bigger. For example Mashhad, Khorasan Razavi, Iran offline map is about 22 - 35 MB (about ~7K to 9K files) depend on the exact region points you selected.
Because of large number of files to write it may takes very long to download much more than 30 - 40 MB but looking for some workarounds.

Good News Maybe :
if app crash ( I didn't see ) or you close app or etc. that cause canceling the map download You can re-select the region you selected before this time app only check for the files downloaded before and continue progress from un-downloaded content

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
OMG. That's really great to see the first pre-release hit over 850 downloads a day.
I added the walking mode navigation to app , how to use Simply find where you want to go on map and hit the point !
Map showing you the way to get to your destination .
Change log :
-Fixed continuse location using after closing app
-Added Walking mode navigation
-Minor fixes and improvements

Appx file and it's dependencies will be added to the #1 post.
What will I want to add in next build :
a better offline map download (not downloading tiles over zoom level 20, Zoom Level 17 is enough I think)
and maybe I use the Icon I attached for next release
Also I added an Insider group in Telegram Messenger that I will provide you the link of group to join me and I really want developers join me to complete it's alpha ring features.

Attachments

• GMapNavigation.jpg
    GMapNavigation.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 110
  • group300x300.jpg
    group300x300.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 105

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Now Application Source code is shared on GitHub
NuGet Library and Class Library (DLL/Winmd) to work with Google Map APIs will be available soon too.
We have an insider group on Telegram Messenger you can join there for updates and keep me updated with bugs and features you need . There should be a better communication with you and other users .

https://t.me/joinchat/DQwGRhG-DXgBJNDWjGEoZQ

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Version 1.35 ALPHA now available .
What's new :
-Added UI for Directions and now support Walking , Driving and Transit (transit not tested, maybe not work in iran please test it)
-Fixed back button bug
-Added estimated time for navigating to destination and your distance to the point.
-Add pins for origin and destination points
-Added some new Assets and logo
-Added Slider for changing maximum zoom level for downloading offline maps
-Fixed witch cause showing a white bar at the top of phone in dark theme (instead of system status bar like time and battery)

It will be added to the first post

EmmaWLove

Apr 27, 2012
RAMSAR
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
What's new :
-Added UI for Directions and now support Walking , Driving and Transit (transit not tested, maybe not work in iran please test it)
-Fixed back button bug
-Added estimated time for navigating to destination and your distance to the point.
-Fixed witch cause showing a white bar at the top of phone in dark theme (instead of system status bar like time and battery)

oh my god :laugh:
Works perfectly:cowboy:
دمت گرم

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
No new mobile version?

All new versions will contain both and Mobile versions .
Good news :
I were able to add the voice navigation to the source code
Developers can clone project from GitHub and test it's functionality before next release .
I know there's a known bug that it repeat commands periodically when you get into 400 meter to the point you have to turn or something else I will find a way to fix it, if any developer know a good way to make it ok let me know .
Regards .

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Good job, man, congrats! When I have a time (kinda too busy now) I'll definitely will test it and (maybe) will issue a pull request to you :)

We have an insider group on Telegram Messenger you can join there for updates and keep me updated with bugs and features you need . There should be a better communication with you and other users.
Don't use Telegram for bug tracking! Use GitHub, it has all capabilities (not an industry standard level but enough for open source fun projects).

Last edited:
Reactions: ngame

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    group300x300.jpg
    Hi everyone .
    I started a new project for now it named Google Maps Unofficial. It's a C# based app that use MapControl to show Google Maps on the app not like other apps use a simple WebView or a HTML code behind .
    I need some developers to help me in completing this project. .

Project Updates :
    Update 4 : Now Version 1.35 Alpha is available and pervious versions removed from attachments. see the change log on post #15
    Update 3 : Now you can download V1.20 Alpha in attachments and you can see details of this version at #13
    this time app is available for both PC and Mobile Platforms (X86,X64 and ARM) maybe it should be deployed on XBOX and HoloLens too.
    Update 2 : Now you can download V1.15 Alpha in attachments and you can see details of this version and known issues at #11
    Update 1 : Now You can select region to download offline map.

Developers with this skills
    MVVM knowledge , Google Maps APIs , MapControl and UWP Experience .

Projects on GitHub:
    Current app on GitHub
    Class Library (SDK) for developers :
    https://github.com/NGame1/UWPGmaps.SDK
    NuGet library :https://www.nuget.org/packages/GMapsUWPSDK

I implemented some basics like showing map in satellite mode and normal road mode and traffic view .
    everyone with the mentioned skills and ready to help please let me know in pm or here on topic .
    Regards
    Have to say sorry for late in Next stable release
    V5.01 ALPHA (Maybe last version before store release)
    -Added secondary live tiles support
    -Added bookmark support
    -Fixed a crash issue
    Unable to cast object of type 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Media.SolidColorBrush' to type 'Windows.UI.Color'.
    -Added new Windows Maps uri association supporting cp and query and collection
    -Cortana read your location when you ask her where are you
    -Added active navigation mode
    When navigation start map will always centered on your location and also use compass to help you in navigation
    -In Navigation Mode app prevent screen from locking
    -Changed route colors to branding color
    -Seachbar issues fixed that caused crash
    -hitting location button will detect your place and no longer need setting origin (When your location couldn't be detected at launch)
    -Added hidden inking support (need more work, but you can change source from git easily to try it)
    -New Animated Location indicator
    -New zoom controls replaced
    -In a direction phone screen will be forced on
    -Fixed my location flag issue on phone
    -Fix for location button bug that cause random crashes
    -Fixed a bug on live tile that only square normal sized tiles update (Now both wide and square are updating)
    -The most important change ever seen. New Feedback Icon :D

And lots of other fixes, Improvements and bug fixes
    What's new :
    -Fixed back button bug

V 3.45 ALPHA:
    Change log:
    -Added share place
    -Simply everything changed except changeview
    what is removed in new UI for now
    -Only origin is your location
    -Saved locations are fully removed for now
    -removed draggable pushpin
    -Message Instructions are removed

How to use new UI :
    simply right click on the POI you want to add as Waypoint, or destination or you want to share it

Roadmap for next builds :
    I will add help for app with simple animations for first time you want to use app :)
    some removed features will back soon again .

Share your experience with us
    Enjoy
    NuGet Library and Class Library (DLL/Winmd) to work with Google Map APIs will be available soon too.
    We have an insider group on Telegram Messenger you can join there for updates and keep me updated with bugs and features you need . There should be a better communication with you and other users .

https://t.me/joinchat/DQwGRhG-DXgBJNDWjGEoZQ