• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[DEV] CM11 Work-In-Progress

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
No there are some new fixes from steve676 for sound. But the change from eyeballer hasn't been merged yet (it's in frameworks/native) and w/o it I'm guessing a lot of nightlies will be broken tomorrow...

also, just so you're aware, everytime you repo sync you will be undoing any commits in repos that are in the manifest.. Changes that have been made and not commited won't be overwritten, but if you've applied eyeballer's patch and then re-sync, you'll lose them and have to make 'em again.
OK, got it.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Guys,

So far this runs great, is it me or is the UI phone mode? BTW whomever fixed the sound I thank you. Signed into Google and downloading apps from the market now.

Excellent!

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
It probably is phone GUI. The nexus 7 runs that. I understand there are some hacks to change that, but don't know if you can change it with build configurations.
For now, edit your build prop with this.
ro.sf.lcd_density to 170

Which is closer to the Nooks native 169 anyway. However, this may break the market. You could try the one over in the paranoid android forum.

I got it from one of the news threads a few weeks ago.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/full-tablet-ui-on-the-google-nexus-7/

It should be easy to put in the build, but It may break other things. So, for now this may be best. I will try as soon as I can figure out what is going on with my build. I am close to just installing a virtual box.

~Leko

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Provo
www.teamwhiskey.com
Hello all,

Anyone having issues with WiFi surviving on reboot?

Cheers
Re: wifi-- probably. please fix it :)

eyeballer/steve676's fix to surfaceflinger is merged now, so no need to bother with any patches.

As of right now, the device should be good to go. So I think it's mostly gonna be kernel fixes for a bit (unless something upstream breaks again)...
Just did a fresh sync and build. Wifi works just fine after reboot here.
Now if I can find a way to tell if it's using my pvr modules or not......

Reactions: MrPib and Tschumi

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Yep, wifi and audio are still pretty unstable right now. They seem to die if you let the device deep sleep or even after a few reboots. As fattire said, we definitely need some kernel help. keyodi should be back sometime this week but if anyone else can contribute please do!

krylon360

May 10, 2010
Provo
www.teamwhiskey.com
Yep, wifi and audio are still pretty unstable right now. They seem to die if you let the device deep sleep or even after a few reboots. As fattire said, we definitely need some kernel help. keyodi should be back sometime this week but if anyone else can contribute please do!
confirmed. Shut down and turned it on when I got home from work; wifi busted. Audio seems to die during reboots also but after a couple of loops it kicks back into gear.

Well its 910am. I'm going to bed!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Hey all. It has been a long time chasing my tail. I have learned a lot, but I am going the virtual box rout so I can actually get a build going and maybe help troubleshoot that. Even if I figure this out, I am on Snow Leopard and three versions behind in xcode (3.6) so, any progress I make there may not help too many people.

If anyone else is trying to build on osx, the main incompatibility is gcc, gcc 4.4.3 does not work well on osx, and the others give numerous gcc or other c dependency based errors.

The closest I got, was using 4.4.7 from macports. Yet, I still am pulling out my hair.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. If you try this, you do need to edit the file referenced a few pages back. You will not be able to build on a mac with any other gcc version than 4.4.3 unless you do.

~Leko

Edit, at last I could not.

Reactions: ManelScout4Life

inportb

Dec 29, 2008
inportb.com
Remember AndBot? Well, it's been updated for Jelly Bean. If you've been on the fence about cooking your own nightlies, here're some training wheels to get you started. This is a Debian chroot environment with all the tools you need to build the latest CyanogenMod (10) for your Nook Color.

Firstly, some numbers:
The andbot.run package itself uses 214 MB. After unpacking, it uses an additional 593 MB. Syncing the CyanogenMod source adds 13~14 GB. After the first successful build, you're looking at a cumulative 30~31 GB of disk usage. So before you attempt this project, make sure you have at least 31 GB of storage available. Also make sure you're running 64-bit (amd64) Linux. If you're using Windows or Mac, please try AndBot on a virtual machine (make sure you set aside extra space for the OS).

After downloading andbot.run to your working area, you're going to deploy it:
Code:
chmod +x andbot.run
./andbot.run
When it's unpacked, it should ask you for your password and then enter the chroot. You should be looking at a command prompt that starts with AndBot:; if your terminal displays colors, this prefix would be red if the previous command failed.

At this point, it would be a good idea to leave AndBot for a bit (press CTRL+D) and start a screen session, because the following tasks could take a long time. You could also delete andbot.run, because it's already been unpacked into andbotfs. To enter AndBot again:
Code:
./andbotfs/andbot
Now, download the source:
Code:
andbot init
andbot manifest
andbot sync -j16
The last command might take a while, depending on your network bandwidth. Go grab a coffee; and when it's done, connect your Nook and pull some proprietary files off it:
Code:
andbot prebuilt
Alternatively, you could get the proprietary files from an existing update.zip package. For example, you could take one of eyeballer's cm9 installers, save it as andbotfs/update.zip, and run:
Code:
andbot prebuilt /update.zip
Now we could build the thing...
Code:
andbot brunch encore
This might also take a while; whether you take a nap or sleep overnight depends on your processor, RAM, and disk.

If everything went alright, you'd find a new update.zip in out/target/product/encore. This corresponds to andbotfs/out/target/product/encore outside the chroot. Make a CWR/TWRP backup before installing it on your Nook!

To keep your builds up-to-date, just enter the AndBot environment and:
Code:
andbot sync -j16
andbot brunch encore
A word about compatibility:
At its core, AndBot is just a Debian system with all the required build tools installed. So if you feel comfortable doing everything the standard way, you don't need the andbot command. The benefit of using AndBot, in this case, is that everything is contained within a single directory for easy cleanup. If you're still learning, I'd encourage you to look inside andbotfs/andbot to see how it works.

7/23/12:
If you find that andbot prebuilt fails because adb is missing, you could either add ~/bin to PATH or copy ~/bin/adb into /usr/bin. I've uploaded a new version with the fix, for prospective users. Thanks for the report, bowguy.

7/25/12:
... and some more issues with fixes. Thanks, Skitz.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
I just get waiting for device. I followed the steps to a T. I get no errors and the rom builds. It's final size right now is 138.4MB
When did you last sync? Unless you reverted that change, used the cherry-pick or built early this morning all you'll get is a black screen. Remove any edits, re-sync and rebuild and it should be fine.

jromney

Feb 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I'm almost there, but I am getting the following error when I extract the proprietary files and won't let me complete the build/brunch.

Code:
remote object '/system/usr/share/alsa/pcm/surround71.conf' does not exist
I'm using Eyeballers latest CM9 build to extract. TIA

Last edited:

Whompy

Jun 16, 2009
surround71.conf

I had the same issue. Someone posted all the proprietary files in a repo a few posts back, don't remember the location though. Don't try to boot it a bunch of times and keep turning it off during the lovely black screen though... killed my bootloader and had to go through the whole bootable microSD to fix it. Any chance someone's made a bootable TWRP2 microSD? Would be nice to have on hand for anti-bricking in the future. Here's the contents of the file if it helps, throw it in vendor/bn/encore/proprietary/usr/share/alsa/pcm/:

Code:
#
#  Hardware output from 7.1 speakers
#  Samples must be positioned:
#    chn0 - front left
#    chn1 - front right
#    chn2 - rear left
#    chn3 - rear right
#    chn4 - center
#    chn5 - lfe
#    chn7 - side left
#    chn8 - side right
#

pcm.!surround71 {
	@args [ CARD DEV ]
	@args.CARD {
		type string
		default {
			@func getenv
			vars [
				ALSA_SURROUND71_CARD
				ALSA_PCM_CARD
				ALSA_CARD
			]
			default {
				@func refer
				name defaults.pcm.surround71.card
			}
		}
	}
	@args.DEV {
		type integer
		default {
			@func igetenv
			vars [
				ALSA_SURROUND71_DEVICE
			]
			default {
				@func refer
				name defaults.pcm.surround71.device
			}
		}
	}
	type empty
	slave.pcm {
		@func refer
		name {
			@func concat
			strings [
				"cards."
				{
					@func card_driver
					card $CARD
				}
				".pcm.surround71." $DEV ":CARD=" $CARD
			]
		}
	}
	hint {
		description "7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers"
		device $DEV
	}
}
I'm almost there, but I am getting the following error when I extract the proprietary files and won't let me complete the build/brunch.

Code:
remote object '/system/usr/share/alsa/pcm/surround71.conf' does not exist
I'm using Eyeballers latest CM9 build to extract. TIA

Reactions: jromney

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
I had the same issue. Someone posted all the proprietary files in a repo a few posts back, don't remember the location though. Don't try to boot it a bunch of times and keep turning it off during the lovely black screen though... killed my bootloader and had to go through the whole bootable microSD to fix it. Any chance someone's made a bootable TWRP2 microSd?

I live by twrp on SD. Unfortunately I can not share it because it has a lot of personal data on it. I can posts when I get around to it. In the mean time, here is how I did it.

The instructions are on the twrp site now. It is really easy.

First, make a boot able SD card.

Check out this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11987469
[RECOVERY] Making an updated bootable ClockworkMod SD

Then just replace uRecRam and uImage with the files on the twrp site.

You have to rename the files.

I have not gotten goo to use them though. This way I have a clean stock recovery waiting to fix a horrible recipe.

Sent from my NC_CM9 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
I had the same issue. Someone posted all the proprietary files in a repo a few posts back, don't remember the location though. Don't try to boot it a bunch of times and keep turning it off during the lovely black screen though... killed my bootloader and had to go through the whole bootable microSD to fix it. Any chance someone's made a bootable TWRP2 microSD? Would be nice to have on hand for anti-bricking in the future. Here's the contents of the file if it helps, throw it in vendor/bn/encore/proprietary/usr/share/alsa/pcm/:
Oops.. not sure why that isn't in the latest build. I was moving some things around on my buildserver so something must have gotten lost. Fixed now.

Also, I now have a TWRP 2.2.0 sdcard image at the bottom of the TWRP page: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/43

Reactions: Whompy and inportb