[DEV] CM7 Developers Thread

Search This thread

Ronin3178

Oct 26, 2010
Sure, I'm willing to loose all my data. Where do I start? Here? Do they even have to worry about the nooter or simply flash 1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.img and gapps and reboot?

At quick glance that looked good, do you have one of the newer partitioned Nooks that needs a whole reworking to go eMMC? I luckily had one of the older one from back in march of this year.

And one more thought, to possibly not lose your data, try not formatting data partition and if it boots up properly, run TB to get all your app data. Then reboot into recovery and format data and restore. It may work.

Last edited:

bigbob23

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle area
Reactions: Razor1973

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
At quick glance that looked good, do you have one of the newer partitioned Nooks that needs a whole reworking to go eMMC? I luckily had one of the older one from back in march of this year.

And one more thought, to possibly not lose your data, try not formatting data partition and if it boots up properly, run TB to get all your app data. Then reboot into recovery and format data and restore. It may work.

The newer ones have a blue dot on the box. I had to have b and n send me a replacement and that's what I ended up with. The routine for switching the partitions back to the original variety is very ez. A quick search should produce all that is needed.

Nburnes

Sep 4, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
Has anyone compiled there own build recently? I did it before work this morning, including up to "GanOptimizer: Dutch translation added! (android_packages_apps_GanOptimizer)" and the system is running ridiculously slow. I want to find out if it is simply a problem with my build environment or what.

Edit: Also, the final .zip I end up with is only 88.3 mb?
Edit 2: Upon first boot, colors are off as well. Changes on reboot after Nook Tweaks 16 bit 32 bit color choice.

Last edited:

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
Has anyone compiled there own build recently? I did it before work this morning, including up to "GanOptimizer: Dutch translation added! (android_packages_apps_GanOptimizer)" and the system is running ridiculously slow. I want to find out if it is simply a problem with my build environment or what.

Edit 2: Upon first boot, colors are off as well. Changes on reboot after Nook Tweaks 16 bit 32 bit color choice.

Building right now. Will update this post shortly.

Edit.. have not flashed yet but i have a file size of 101.5mb.

Edit 2... finished building just before 12pm eastern time, rom is flying as usual. Everything seems ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nburnes

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007

Flash a nightly then run extract-files.sh from the device directory. You are missing proprietary files(SGX userspace libs) otherwise.

blahbl4hblah

Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to know why whenever I compile cm7 for nook I'm getting a force close on statusbarui, I can't give a logcat because I don't have adb setup for nook, nor are the steps on how to do so for ubuntu working.

knaries2000

Apr 13, 2009
Use wireless adb for ubuntu. It works fine without any setup other than installing the sdk and it is more convenient.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

blahbl4hblah

Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well this is strange, nightlies will work perfectly while compiled cm7 roms don't work.
Maybe it's my proprietary files since there old I think

The reason why I'd rather compile it rather than download is simply because it's my preference

If anyone could help me, pull the latest proprietary files from your nook using the latest nightly. I'm aware of wireless adb, but since my desktop doesn't have wifi capabilities, it's a no go

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please limit this thread to development comments and questions!
    The users thread is for all other posts.
    When in doubt, post in the users thread.

After many long nights of banging our heads against keyboard, the CM7 port is finally shaping up.
    In addition to nightly releases, we may from time to time be releasing test builds here for your feedback and enjoyment. If you find issues please feel free to post here in this thread. Leave all other feedback for the user thread.

Where to get progress news:

I will tweet progress from time to time.
    Twitter: @dalingrin

We are usually in #nookie on freenode.

You can always check the Cyanogen git@ http://github.com/cyanogenmod

Current Issues

DO NOT FORMAT YOUR SD CARD IN CM7. DUE TO A VOLD ISSUE THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR /BOOT INSTEAD OF THE SD CARD!
    ****Should be fixed in nightly 13****

-Standy battery life is not as good as stock
    Because of a kernel bug CM7 does not fully sleep. The result
    is ~1% battery drain per hour while the screen is off. With normal use I usually go
    1 - 2 days between charging.
    ***fixed in 2.6.32 builds***

-A few apps do not scale to full screen
    In order to get Market and Maps to work fully the lcddensity has to be
    set to something other than 160 causing a few apps not to scale properly.

-Wifi slow to reconnect at times
    ****fixed****

-Video playback is slow
    ****fixed****

-Default rotary lockscreen does not fit screen
    ****fixed****

-Market partially works
    ****fixed****

-Bluetooth does not work
    ****Update**** Bluetooth now works in CM7.
    Bluetooth is working seemingly perfect except for the range. Unfortunately, the range is terrible.
    Depending on the device you are paried with, the range is between 1-5ft. Any ideas on how to
    fix the range issue would be much appreciated.

-Do not use SetCPU profiles
    If you enable SetCPU profiles it will become a runaway process eating 100% cpu.
    Setting your cpu clock can be done in Cyanogenmod Settings. Under Performance->CPU Settings

-Internal storage partition is not mounted on boot and is not shareable via USB
    ****fixed****

Download and Install

MUST USE 3.0.1.0+ RECOVERY:
    This is installable ONLY with an ext4 aware Clockwork Mod Recovery.

*** Also it is critical to be aware that installing CM7 will write to the internal emmc of your device. You are advised NOT to try it. But if you choose to do so, understand you do so entirely at your own risk. Read sections 15-17 of the GPL for the gist of this disclaimer. There is no warranty or claim of usefulness or fitness for any particular purpose. No one but you shall accepts responsibility for what may happen if you download or try to use this development software. ***

Download for CM7:

Nightlies
    :
    http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=encore

Install instructions:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11452450&postcount=19
    ENCORE 2.6.32 BETA QUICK FAQ
    ----------------------------

WHAT'S THIS?

Tonight, we can report to the American people and to the world, the CM7 team has conducted an operation that killed the "Sleep of Death" responsible for the senseless battery consumption of thousands of encore devices.

Or put another way, the CM7 for encore team is proud to release a beta .32 kernel to play with. Try at your own risk.​

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?

Verygreen, FatTire, and Dalingrin did most of the work on this update. Verygreen worked tirelessly on 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 ports of the kernel. An extra special thanks should go to him.
    We hope to use his work to eventually get newer 2.6.35+ kernels for the Nook Color.​

WHY DO I CARE ABOUT THE .32 KERNEL? HOW'S IT BETTER THAN THE .29 KERNEL?

It's .03 better, obviously.

Beyond the sleep improvements, most benefits are "behind the scenes" technical fixes.

Still, you may notice that the On/Off animation now works and that you experience subtle performance benefits that come from a new kernel. For a generic writeup of .32 features (much of which doesn't apply to the encore), see:

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32

SO WHAT WORKS?

* basic CM7
    * sound
    * accelerometer
    * backlight
    * wifi
    * EXPERIMENTAL bluetooth (uses new uim/kim method and .bts files)
    * video w/overlay
    * Screenshots
    * usb mounting to your computer
    * sdcard support

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?

* Sleep while while charging or connected to USB
    Workaround: Settings->Applications->Development->Stay Awake

Maybe more, you tell us. Is it stable? Can you make it crash/reboot?

Probably. This is a beta for a reason.​

CAN I DROP THE UIMAGE KERNEL FILE INTO A 2.6.29 CM7 SYSTEM?

No.​

WHY NOT?

There are several changes to the installation which make .32 incompatable with previous CM7 installations. Among them are:

* The kernel's orientation is now native to the encore's screen. No android rotation is needed
    * The WIFI module is different
    * The method of installing BT is different.
    * The GFX (2D acceleration) drivers are different​

IS THIS .32 KERNEL OVERCLOCKED?

Not by default. The clock options are the same as the .29 kernel... for now.​

WHAT ARE THE CHANGES TO BLUETOOTH?

Bluetooth now uses the wilink driver with a "shared-transport" system that allows both bluetooth and the FM radio to work. Right now, the FM radio isn't enabled at all, as reports say the hardware support (antenna) is not connected. However, this new system makes it at least conceivably possible to use.

Also, the new system utilizes Texas Instrument's .bts (bluetooth script) method for installing the bt firmware.​

SO DOES THIS FIX THE BT RANGE ISSUE?

This is all brand new-- Bluetooth range has not been extensively tested. That is for you to test.

There are several versions of TI's bluetooth initialization script, called the "bts" script. You can get them here:

https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/wilink_drivers/

The .bts files (such as TIInit_7.2.31.bts) may be placed in:

/system/etc/firmware

and will automatically be loaded when needed. Try different versions and experiment to see if some work better others. (Watch the log and dmesg to verify that the bts script is running properly)​

CAN I MAKE THE FM RADIO WORK?

The encore device is reported to not have a physical antenna connection to allow the FM radio to function.

However, this is unexplored territory. If you are a developer and would like to experiment, you may notice that TI makes the following additional firmware files available:

fm_rx_init_1273.2.bts
    fm_tx_init_1273.2.bts
    fmc_init_1273.2.bts

These scripts are now potentially loadable into the wifi chip. To make CM7 believe that there is a working FM radio, add to the board file:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/blob/gingerbread/BoardConfig.mk

the following line:

BOARD_HAVE_FM_RADIO := true

And recompile. Good luck!​

IS THE BRAINFUCK SCHEDULER (BFS) INCLUDED?

Not yet. We're investigating whether this would be worthwhile.​

WHERE CAN I GET SOME OF THE KERNEL SOURCE FOR THIS BETA TEST?

WHAT HAPPENED TO VERYGREEN'S 32 PORT?

When BN released their .32 kernel, portions were migrated to Verygreen's in-progress .32 kernel source, which in turn was a modification of the .32 kernel from omapzoom.com. At the same time, fixes that were in verygreen's repository were migrated over to the BN source.

Thus, the CM7 team ended up with *TWO* working versions of the .32 kernel.

After some discussion, it was decided (for now) to use the source that originated from BN. This will hopefully free us to move to 2.6.35+ quicker.​
    Some eye catching changes in CM7 as of late,

Not entirely sure if these changes are what I think they are... hardware acceleration in Gingerbread?
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/6831
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/7062

And an update to the Nook kernel, from Dalingrins twitter it seems it may only be one change having to do with USB support...

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/6995

any thoughts?

We are in the middle of merging OMAPZoom framework changes primarily for OMAP4 device support(3D, new DSP, etc) but much of it affects the Nook as well. Media playback should improve somewhat for the Nook. Thus far I have new DSP codecs working but the overlay still needs some work.

The kernel commit that was finally merged is just some kernel clean up to eliminate possible causes of instability and SOD. No new features yet.

My 1st priority is to get the OMAPZoom framework changes merged because it affects multiple devices. After that I will focus back on the kernel hopefully figure out SoD and such.

Longer term, TI has been working on an OMAP3 2.6.35 kernel finally and I would like to look into that for the Nook down the road.
    Beta testers come free, I'm using Firefox 8.0 alpha1 as my primary browser just to illustrate and have participated in beta testing Windows Vista and Windows 7; As far as employing developers, the "upline" Cyanogen Mod team is made up of around 10 members plus about 5 maintainers for the Nook. I'd imagine that about 5-6 full time employed developers could handle that workload(someone correct me if I'm wrong) at about $90,000 a year per developer, that's about half a million a year for a team. B&N 2010 revenue was 6.92 billion dollars just for example, I think they can afford a few full time developers, not to mention the much bigger companies like Samsung and Motorola.

Even with that said, Google does a good deal of the work, it seems companies must spend more time stripping out the features Google includes in AOSP than implementing useful features...

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that these companies could be doing a much better job with their Android ports, considering what some hobbyist and skilled developers produce in their free time...

One thing that I think the big OEMs need to change is how they organize their device development. If you look at how CM works, it is one source for all devices. All devices use the same branch. Instead of hacking up the Android framework to get feature X to work on device Y, we make it work in a device agnostic way. This is something that Samsung and others don't seem to always do. They have separate trees/branches for even the same devices(all the galaxy S variants). The end result is a mess and it makes it much more difficult to get timely updates to your devices. Additionally, some random person may decide to contribute a new feature to Android and with very little effort all CM devices reap the benefits(such as the recent boot speed up). Fixing problems at the device level can be more difficult than hacking the framework in the short term but in the long term it makes maintaining and improving Android much easier.

I haven't been a part of CM for that long but I am definitely proud of how a small group of folks that work on something part time have been able to achieve what they have. While it can be aggravating that CyanogenMod gets kanged so much with little or no credit, I guess its better than no one wanting your work.
    Developer Tips

(Standard do-at-your-own-risk-and-responsibility disclaimers apply.)

* For those developers building from source:

In $OUT, you'll find a few files:

recovery.img --> rename to uRecRam
    kernel --> rename to uRecImg

Now you've got the ext4 clockworkmod for mmc built from source.

* Also, there's also a script in $OUT called:

sd_ramdisk_packer.sh

Assuming this works, it should repack your $OUT/root (mmc ramdisk) into a uRamdisk that can be used with a bootable SDcard. The stuff in /system would go in the /system partition of the SD card (p2).

The result: a bootable CM7 on SD. It may not be wise to distribute as Cyanogenmod for encore is a fast-moving target-- unless you plan to create a new one every day or something.

* If you don't like the buttons at the top for some reason, there's the SoftKeys app as well as Button Savior.

* There is a slightly-themed u-boot.bin in device/bn/encore/prebuilt/boot/. It is simply a recompiled u-boot from BN's source.​

encoreboot.png

Info about emmc geometry

If your emmc is hosed and you want to start COMPLETELY from scratch, understand that the underlying geometry (before any partitions are created) of your emmc must be set up correctly on OMAP machines such as the nook before any partitions are created.

You can read more about that stuff here. If you are booted into an "emergency" SD card and have a totally hosed emmc, you can use fdisk to format /dev/block/mmcblk0 to the correct geometry, and then create the partitions one at a time, with a vfat partition as your /boot partition (p1). Then put mlo, u-boot.bin, uImage, uRamdisk, uRecImg, and uRecRam in /boot (p1) and you should have a bootable system.

Read the link above about SD/MMC formatting for OMAP3. Your nook is an OMAP3621, so you gotta get that geometry right, otherwise it won't boot. Luckily, the instructions on using fdisk are pretty good.

More info:

your emmc: /dev/block/mmcblk0
    your sd: /dev/block/mmcblk1

Partition Info

the partitions you should have created are at:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 == /boot
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 == /system
    etc

/boot, /rom, and /media are of type "vfat"
    /system, /data, and /cache are of type "ext4"

/factory (p3) isn't used by cm7

partition 4 is just there to allow you to create partitions 5-8

Sample instructions for copying files from cm7 update.zip on local computer to emmc /boot

You should be able to copy those four files simply by getting the lastest cm7, unzipping it on your computer, then once you boot into your bootable SD card, do:

Code:
    COMPUTER> adb shell
    # mkdir /data/bootmountpoint
    # mkdir /data/systemmountpoint
    # mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data/bootmountpoint
    # mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /data/systemmountpoint
    # exit
    COMPUTER> adb push mlo /data/bootmountpoint/
    COMPUTER> adb push u-boot.bin /data/bootmountpoint/
    COMPUTER> adb push uImage /data/bootmountpoint/
    COMPUTER> adb push uRamdisk /data/bootmountoint/
    COMPUTER> adb push  my/path/to/sdcard/system /data/systemmountpoint/