[DEV][DATA2SD] More space (and more I/O) for your Desire (Updated/EXT4/Flashable ZIP)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Not quite sure what you're saying here
If I wipe data, all my apps are gone and its as if i did a fresh install of the rom. It reverts to NAND for internal memory. 148MB of 148MB free.

If I then do a restore of SD-EXT via recovery, its all back as normal.

Question.

If you do wipe data and it just shows NAND /data capacity, how can you then get it to recognise SD-EXT again, without restoring it via NANDROID?

Edit> how easy is it to swap an existing ext2 to ext4?

Last edited:

bernabap

Jul 25, 2009
Sebere I saw your post on melethron thread, and the fact they are emphasizing the alignment of the partition as you did first on this thread. I did try to follow the steps on the link you provide but the instruction they gave it is for only one fat32 partition. I got some question about how to align the second partition. If you could read my post #679 on page 68 and gave me any tips I will be very grateful. If you dont have time... it is ok I will understand. Thanks any way!

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris

sibere

May 14, 2006
Paris
Sebere I saw your post on melethron thread, and the fact they are emphasizing the alignment of the partition as you did first on this thread. I did try to follow the steps on the link you provide but the instruction they gave it is for only one fat32 partition. I got some question about how to align the second partition. If you could read my post #679 on page 68 and gave me any tips I will be very grateful. If you dont have time... it is ok I will understand. Thanks any way!
I just did EXACTLY the same for the 2nd partition than for the 1st. I don't get the reason why there should be a difference. Obviously you can't format with windows the 2nd partition. I did that with Linux.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I repeat. If you wipe in recovery mode, you wipe by default the NAND /data but when you reboot, the unwiped ext is mounted and your data is back.
Not for me.

I use clockwork mod. When using wipe data it states wiping data, wiping sd ext (
Maybe cache too) and all is wiped. Total internal memory reports 148 even after numerous reboots until sd ext is restored via nandroid for me.

Unless you're talking about the format data option?

--------------------
DeFroST FAQ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6622965&postcount=2

sibere

May 14, 2006
Paris
Not for me.

I use clockwork mod. When using wipe data it states wiping data, wiping sd ext (
Maybe cache too) and all is wiped. Total internal memory reports 148 even after numerous reboots until sd ext is restored via nandroid for me.

Unless you're talking about the format data option?

--------------------
DeFroST FAQ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6622965&postcount=2
My apologies, I didn't get you right. To me, a wipe was just /data, not sd-ext. If you format sd-ext, your 2nd partition is formated to ext2 or 3 or 4 (don't really know) and the ext2 file is deleted. So when you reboot, the 01data script has noting to mount and the NAND file stays has the default mounted FS.

sibere

May 14, 2006
Paris
I misread your post. Actually it's a very good point and I thought you were talking about formatting, not making the partition.

Well you must get you best calculator and check if the 1st sector of the 2nd partition is starting on a 128KB block or if you prefer, that the 1st partition is ending at the end of a 128KB block :) This is why i recommend using Fdisk.
I haven't check tho if aligning the 2nd partition to 128Kb is useful when using an ext2 file system with a 4096b bloc size, whether mounted directly or via a loop device.

This is mainly why I talk about optimizing the 1st partition on the OP and not the 2nd one ;)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
My apologies, I didn't get you right. To me, a wipe was just /data, not sd-ext. If you format sd-ext, your 2nd partition is formated to ext2 or 3 or 4 (don't really know) and the ext2 file is deleted. So when you reboot, the 01data script has noting to mount and the NAND file stays has the default mounted FS.
Ohhhh. So a simple dd command followed by titanium restore would do the trick?

I assumed format sd ext would format the ext file to a fresh state. Guess it sees any 2nd partition as "sd ext", regardless of file system

--------------------

sibere

May 14, 2006
Paris
Ohhhh. So a simple sd followed by titanium restore would do the trick?

I assumed format sd ext would format the ext file to a fresh state. Guess it sees any 2nd partition as "sd ext", regardless of file system

--------------------
SD-ext format will format the SD, not the file, and destroy any data on the 2nd partition. You will have to recreate the ext2 file manually. Remember that ext2 file is not really ext but /data :) If you just want to get you phone back to factory, wipe everything but sd-ext. then mount sd-ext and ext2 file over /data and wipe again /data.
You should keep your ext2 file (but not the data inside the file) this way and the data2sd hack.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
SD-ext format will format the SD, not the file, and destroy any data on the 2nd partition. You will have to recreate the ext2 file manually. Remember that ext2 file is not really ext but /data :) If you just want to get you phone back to factory, wipe everything but sd-ext. then mount sd-ext and ext2 file over /data and wipe again /data.
You should keep your ext2 file (but not the data inside the file) this way and the data2sd hack.

Wicked. Cheers
--------------------

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
HI all.

I know it has been done already (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=3981637&postcount=1) but I didn't find any detailed tutorial for the Desire so I wrote one for you :)

[/i]
Would that be here? ^^^^^^

Thanks

In the first post, I think that you will see that this is a variation of work that started on the hero

Theres a link too

--------------------

Lanbase

Dec 4, 2010
I flashed the teppics v3 rom today, and installled. Data to SD with the installer zip made by iroironz and posted in teppics Rom threat.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773997&page=52

I reinstalled ALL backuped apps(user,sytem,data) with newly downloaded from market titaniaum backup, And all seemed to go okay. All my apps where there
and I have 882 MB free space on internal memory

Had 3 force closes and decided to reboot, after reboot my apps seem not to
be there anymore.

I still have 882 MB free space, so there must be 118 mb of apps cause I have 1 Gig data partition.

Anything I can do or check before doing a new Titanium restore?

grtz Lanbase

EDIT: did a titanium restore of only one app, rebootet and all apps are back know. Lots of FC tho on different apps,
I guess I will have to do some more testing before posting.... and report back later

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone