[DEV-Discussion] CM7.1 Based "MP3" Rom (WIFI AND APPS ONLY)

Search This thread

krook6023

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2009
Midwest, USA
OnePlus 8
I am in the process of researching the best way to take my old 3g slide and build a very light bootable ROM from CM source for mp3/media, wifi & apps only. I figured instead of trying to figure this out on my own maybe I could open this thread for discussion.

The idea is to take a CM supported device and tweak it into a mp3 player with wifi and the apps market but remove/disable all phone related activity to preserve battery and have the phone look, feel and function as a media device and not as a phone. This ROM should have no phone.apk, should not have an active radio...but preserve wifi, media playback and the app market.

The UI should look like an MP3 Player!

I have a few ideas on how to achieve this but I wonder if I am making harder than need be. I would really like to hear unique/fresh ideas, potential problems and general advice from the community. I will keep this post up to date with ideas and status and eventually it will serve as a guide.

So lets here it;

• How you would go about doing this?
  • What can be removed?
  • What needs to stay?
  • etc....?

cyberpedz

May 20, 2010
Ashamed there have been no replies. This is something I have been looking for, for a while.