[DEV]Dynamic Multi Boot menu for Archos G9 V0.3a

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks to the wonderful information and knowledge of select user here I have been working on creating a dynamic multi-boot menu for my Archos 101 G9 Turbo 8gb Flash and thought I would contribute something back. I would still consider this to be in alpha/beta stage but basic functionality is working.

I am currently using Archos's built in menu system as I like the looks a little better than fbmenu and being a dynamic list it would be hard to specify a default image with a timeout so I currently do not need that functionality. (I may switch over to fbmenu at a later time)

The menu will look in the root of the internal storage /mnt/storage/ and /data/local/ for any files with a ext3, ext4 or squashfs extension and create a list of the images it finds. The menu currently only finds images with these extensions and the extension tells the menu what file system that image is using.

Special thanks to arctablet for creating an install tutorial.
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-tablet/archos-g9-multiboot-sde-required/

Working:
Dynamic menu creation based on images in a specified folder (currently /mnt/storage/ and /data/local/)
Loading selected image as long as the kernel is compatible
Manual clearing of dalvik cache

To Do:
Clear dalvik-cache when switching images (may need to create config file to track last image)
Flashing of new initramfs and zImage from storage. (Currently looks in /mnt/storage/toflash/ but kernel is not updating)
Add option to flash correct kernel before loading an image (for switching between Android and Linux distros)
Built in system to determine an image's file system type without using extensions.

Bugs:
None that I am aware of

Updates:
V0.3a
  • Added zip with 4.0.6 kernel

V0.3
  • Fixed 10 image limit
  • Tracking last booted image with * in menu (saved to /data/local/bmimage)

V0.2
  • Added stock firmware to list
  • Added /data/local/ to image search directory
  • Added option to clear dalvik cache
  • (fixed) Menu finds files with extension in the middle of the name such as archos.ext4.backup
  • Changed menu color to android green

I am currently using the stock kernel with a modified initramfs.cpio.lzo which can be download from here

dmenu-0.3a.zip (4.0.6)(4shared)
dmenu-0.3.zip (4.0.5)(4shared)

Screenshots

Extra Info For those not failure with how the zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo work
The zImage file is the actual kernel code that gets loaded during the boot process and the initramfs.cpio.lzo is a basic file system and init script that gets executed during start up. This specifies what image file should get loaded such as the stock Android image or another custom one. To make the multi boot menu I only modified the init script in the initramfs and and I left the zImage untouched. Since the initramfs is able to select multiple images you can actually flash it with most kernel files and it should work however you are still limited to booting what that kernel file is capable of running.

The zImage files included in the zips above are the stock kernels so they will only boot Android images. In the Ubuntu thread they are using a custom zImage file that is capable of booting both Android and Ubuntu by basically just using my initramfs with their custom zImage.

Last edited:

nilse

Aug 14, 2011
Berlin
It is good

i will be testing on the 8"

10 entries : it is good may be

For the buzz
http://www.jbmm.fr/?p=27540

Problem :
I have [email protected] installed
when is reboot on recovery mode /developper

I have the multi-boot with 2 entries
-Archos.ext4.backup
-Archos.ext4.update
and nothing works

i do not view [email protected]
i think sirduke989 renamed the archos.ext4 from the [email protected] to [email protected]4
so it easier to distinguish them

je crois que sirduke989 a renome le archos.ext4.update en [email protected] pour pas les confondres

et :

archos.ext4.update = le nouveau firmware qui va etre flashe
archos.ext4.backup = une installation "clean" (sans apps personel), il te le faut si tu fait un "Reset Android"

Reactions: cajl

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
Thank you for the feedback, I updated the bugs and to do section.

i think sirduke989 renamed the archos.ext4 from the [email protected] to [email protected]4
so it easier to distinguish them
I did, I also moved it to a different location. If surdu_petru does not mind I can work in the location he uses and some of his update routines.

What about wiping dalvik-cache? Switching to a different android firmware requires it (or you'll get botloop/app FC's/other bad things)
Good point, I did not think of that. Until I get on the fly flashing of new firmware working I will put in a manual option to clear it.

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
I did, I also moved it to a different location. If surdu_petru does not mind I can work in the location he uses and some of his update routines.
This won't affect manual way of wiping dalvik-cache (dalvik-wipe.update file on /mnt/storage). Adjusting update routines is also not a big deal however /data/local was chosen not by accident- android doesn't make any changes there so there is no risk of deleting system image (android does clean uninstalled/not present app data/files by itself since 2.3)

mr.unix

Apr 5, 2012
Booting Ubuntu 12.04...

Is it possible to boot latest Ubuntu 12.04 beta2 image on Archos G9 tablet...?

http : / / cdimage.ubuntu.com / daily-preinstalled / current

The image has a ext4 Partition inside...

Last edited:

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
Well I tried 12.04 with the kernel from the ubuntu thread and the screen flickers when you get to the login screen. Currently with this boot menu it only if each image uses the same kernel but I am trying to add the ability to flash a new kernel when swiching images. This will make it a little easier to get a full linux distro working.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
Just as a quick update I have fixed the 10 image limit so now the limit would be what fits on the screen and I am working on getting flashing of a new kernel working. I expect to have 0.3 posted this evening (us).

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
Not without some modification. My boot menu is still using the loop back devices. Letama is welcome to modify my bootmenu to be compatable with his if he would like, the only changes I made in the initramfs so far are in /init and /etc/mountpoints

sirduke989

Feb 22, 2012
The toflash menu is a little bit buggy.
Yep, it currently does not work. I suspect that the issue is because it is trying to flash over the kernel that is running.

Lately I have been trying to compile the wifi drivers for Ubuntu 11.10 and once that is working I will have a good reason to want to switch kernels on the fly.