[DEV] GSM phone calls on Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

Synman

Recognized Developer
Guys this is not a "can we please have an update" thread. It will be ready when it's ready.

Regarding the last question I have no idea what you are referring to.

All we are ever going to get for the original N7 is in my existing GwT ROM.

Current focus is on the new N7LTE and is slow. I have exposed MMS and the dialer but no voice capabilities exist given the OOB drivers. I am also having a hard time getting my provider to forward MMS bidirectionally.

As time permits I will continue to focus on it but my time is limited and spread across multiple projects.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk 4

Synman

Recognized Developer
Unfortunately I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel on my n7lte ever doing anything other than sip, SMS, and tethering on the att network.

They've got the entire razor imei block locked to their broadband apn.

I tried getting a rep to honor my full phone plan with the device and they simply can't honor my request... Their network won't let them provision the device any other way.

Sadly I'm considering dropping my Sim back into my tilapia tablet.

I've removed all framework restrictions to no avail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FReaKRaNT

Oct 28, 2012
Toronto
Unfortunately I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel on my n7lte ever doing anything other than sip, SMS, and tethering on the att network.

I tried getting a rep to honor my full phone plan with the device and they simply can't honor my request... Their network won't let them provision the device any other way.

Do you think this is limited to att or all SP?

Cheers, FReaKRaNT

Murtadha_2013

Oct 20, 2013
What does it mean

Hi

Does This mean it is impossible to get gsm calls working on n7lte.

Did you guys Give up.?

Please let me know so I Candy take my descision.

Thanks

MaNRo

Nov 26, 2008
Orlando
Hey guys, I'm from Costa Rica, I'm willing to test if you need me to, maybe is just not possible on att or other US carriers, please don't give up, you are doing a great job!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

punshkin

Jan 6, 2010

It seems like the carriers play a big role in blocking gsm calls for you, have you had someone test it on a european network? They are often way more liberal and don't have many of the restrictions the US carriers have

Synman

Recognized Developer
I have some pretty fuggin good news... I finally figured out how to work around AT&Ts MMS lockdown... it appears to be much more so related to the retirement of cingular than anything specific to the N7 LTE.

First, proof of MMS functionality:

attachment.php

Next, what ended up being a very trivial change to the ATT Broadband APN entry:

attachment.php

And lastly I chose to pick back up with Kit Kat... am very happy with the state of this build and am now faced with the challenge of figuring out what to call this ROM once I get the apn's updated, hybrid mode applied, figure out what happened to deb's camera, and add my extended shutdown menu:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Kit Kat phone app properly manages its settings menus so need to hack code to expose editing SIP providers.

And please don't ask... GSM voice is non-functional.... nor do I think I'll be able to crack it with software alone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-02-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-02-23.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 7,166
  • Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-09-05.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-09-05.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 7,166
  • Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-07-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-07-33.png
    172 KB · Views: 7,155
  • Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-08-01.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-00-08-01.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 7,136

r9800pro

Oct 25, 2013
This is some excellent news Synman :good:

I still didn't get this part though :

And please don't ask... GSM voice is non-functional.... nor do I think I'll be able to crack it with software alone

Is it a confirmed hardware limitation ?

Maybe it is as said before that US carriers blocked the full range of N7 IMEIs from voice calling

I found something today that looks like a hidden menu from "Tests" option in Battery Monitor Widget

I live in Egypt and my netowrk is called Mobinil

g17i.png

vdhz.png

gx1f.png

k1vt.png

I hope this can help

mathsga

Aug 21, 2013
It has never been possible en nexus 7 3g (2012). Only data (sms) works. You may only use SIP ability to make phone calls.

diakbar

Oct 8, 2011
Request 4.3.1 framework-res with phone.apk showed

I got my nexus 7 3G 2012, I've tried decompiling and compile it again, but it's failed. Do we have frameworks-res.zip that we can use for 4.3.1 ?

Reactions: kiranpatel05

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU POST HERE - Keep in mind this is now a DEV thread and only those with a glimpse of DEV knowledge should be posting.
    There is other thread with the same subject open to everybody discuss it.

Please, this thread isn't related to VOIP, SIP calls or Tethering and
    It's only to 3G version of Nexus 7.

What do you think is the possibility of us getting this function guys, even if its not officially supported.

I've seen it built in on the 7" samsung galaxy tab 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9RN...t=HL1351349133

At the moment we know:

1- The chipset Intel (Infineon) XMM6260 is built-in on Nexus 7 3G (the same chipset is in that rather long list of phones). It means no hardware limitations.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34386544&highlight=6260#post34386544
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...exus_7_3g_32gb
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1483053

it also the same controller is in the following devices

- Lava XOLO X900 [Phone]
    - Lenovo K800 [Tablet/Pad]
    - LG-P920 (LG ?) [Phone]
    - LG-P925 (LG Optimus 3D?) [Phone]

- Huawei E369 (3G Hi-Universe) [USB 3G Modem]
    - Huawei MU733/MU739 [PC/CE Module]
    - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9200) [Phone]

2- SMS texting works perfectely with the native mms.apk but MMS messages crash the app (missed mms APN + framework parameters?)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998702&page=4

3- Modified framework-res.apk (by modifying bools.xml entry to name="config_voice_capable">true) shows up the native dialer (phone.apk) on the UI
    JB 4.2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686&page=12
    JB 4.2.1 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34736932&postcount=314

4- When placing calls trough the native dialer (phone.apk) with Skype app installed, it shows up a white menu asking "Do you want to complete this action using..." the options are "Mobile data" (w/ phone.apk blue icon) or "Skype" (w/ skype icon) and "Always" or "Just Once" (perhaps there is missing a "Phone" profile (or APN) as an option too)

5- If Skype is chosen, the call is complete and everything goes well, but if "Mobile data" is chosen, we get a single sound (bip) and the call is not complete.

6- Changing the DPI to 320 in build.prop file allow us to add a SIP account (SIP calls using native dialer is now possible), DPI could be restored after SIP account settings done.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34752693&highlight=320#post34752693

Detailed informations come from the thread in XDA developers at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686

--------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 5th Dec 2012 by Synman

ok, I hacked NetworkPolicyManager and am no longer crashing. Network time appears to be non-functional for the time-being. Network status is a little wonky too ... even though I have a good network signal the network icon never switches from gray to blue.
    MMS send/receive is fully functional (with the exception of screwed up timestamps)

Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base
    - added full apns

Modified device-common.mk
    - added gsm permission

system.prop
    replaced ref to libril-icera with libxgold

tilapia overlay
    - removed single apn rules
    - set voice-enabled
    - added mms values

NetworkPolicyManager
    - removed call to time.getMaxPeriod
    Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
    Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?

Rough Translation:
    Hello! Here at my job I work with tegra3 and I am very close to finding a solution to making calls. Google has a lock to log into the cells of the mobile operators.
    My progress so far: I can make outgoing calls to numbers with the same area code (landline only), but not receive incoming calls from mobile numbers (Possibly same area code only).

I have to make sure I'm not breaking any NDAs with my company before I can post this half-working solution.

Thanks meter is on the left :)
    sorry, its german

Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
    Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?
    I'm done with framework hacks for a framework intentionally gimped.

We are close!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base